Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Blackwell Chronicles (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,753 Member
    Chapter 62
    Hawthorne as a child is so adorable! Gah! <3<3<3 I loved looking at all the pictures on the wall. Such happy memories! I think I’ve spent more time looking at the pictures than actually reading for this chapter, hehe. And Dandy is in so many of them, yay!
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @_sims_Yimi
    Thank you! I enjoyed re-decorating the house with all the little memories :) Yes, Dandy is in loads of them, the guys are over in Sylvan Glade a lot!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    My comment is not posting. If it posts, I'm leaving this line. -.-
    I haven't forgotten about Micah and Morgyn's relationship. So fishy how we're not getting any updates on them. :) And Morgyn is so invested in Hawthorne. o.o
  • Options
    @mercuryfoam
    I've noticed that, too! Micah has offered to talk to Morgyn about toning down the gifts, so at the very least they're still on speaking terms, and friendly enough that he might still have some sway over them. I wonder if they're still a thing, or if Micah choosing to be with Cordelia truly ended things between them. Cordelia isn't thinking with jealousy about Micah and Morgyn (even though she's instantly jealous of a non-existent relationship with Micah and mrs Charm), sooo, maybe they did end things?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    @_sims_Yimi
    Cordy still holds some form of resentment over Micah and Morgyn's relationship though (I'm saying this based on the chapter prior to this release.) I mean. It's been 6 years-ish. Holding a grudge for that long if there's nothing between them seems a little far fetched. So I'm guessing there's lingering/unspoken feelings at the very least. (Or maybe Cordy has become super sensitive about things) Considering how Micah and Morgyn will outlive Cordy. I suppose that match is possible.

For Cordy being jealous of Micah and Mrs Charm, I thought Cordy is being possessive about Hawthorne (admittedly for good reason), so maybe she's possessive about Micah as well? xD Her relationship with Morgyn isn't exactly the healthiest example and she hasn't known anything better. She doesn't think herself good enough so maybe she's clinging on to whatever she has because she's afraid of losing everything/being left behind.

Idk I feel like I just said a bunch of nonsense. It's all speculation! I feel bad if you read til here. :joy:
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @_sims_Yimi & @mercuryfoam
    Loving the speculation! Admittedly I haven't managed to squeeze in much of what's going on with Micah, there's too much to catch up on. But you'll get an answer to this one soon :)

Oh and fun fact, Cordelia actually has the jealous trait because apparently I hate myself lol. I figured it would make sense for her though, with all of her experiences, and it's the closest to insecure that we have in game, I reckon.
  • Options
    Let's see the aftermath of last chapter...
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,379 Member
    edited December 2020
    Some really interesting perspectives, which makes me come up with a wish I do not even dare say out loud ;):lol:
    NB: Hawthorne is so beautiful and almost looks like a little angel :love:
  • Options
    @MonaSolstraale

Ooh, intriguing! Well as they say, be careful what you wish for. We shall see :)

She is very pretty! Could be an angel, yes. Or an angel of doom, haha. Let's see which it is :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Chapter 65

Don't mind me, just casually catching up to everyone's stories... :grimace:
    Geez, Morgyn, you don’t get to complain about Micah being with Cordelia. :joy: You’re the one that magicked them together in the first place, you potato.

Interesting how they seem to have changed over the years, though. Proud of Hawthorne seemingly wanting power in their eyes, instead of wanting more power themselves. And pining after Micah to the point of shuddering at the thought of sleeping with Gemma. Are they finally losing their “wild bits” and ready to settle with someone that they truly love? Or is this because, in a way/to some extent, Micah is now something that Morgyn “can’t have”, and that makes them want only him? I wonder.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • Options
    @_sims_Yimi You're always welcome here :heart:
    Can't complain? But Morgyn really wanted to have that cake and eat it too, why can't you understand their paaiiin? :joy:

They have changed ever so slightly, yes. At least as far as the people they care about are concerned. Oof, you make a very valid point. Have they changed their romantic outlook, or do they just want what they can't have... or both? Hard to say. Morgyn definitely always prefered Micah over Cordelia, we know that much. But I'm sure Micah not being readily available plays a role too.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    It's been a while since we've had a 1st person POV.

• Options
    @ThePlumbob
    I forgot to ask. Who's Ollie's aunt? How'd she catch Dandy's eye? When did Dandy leave Slyvan Glade and why? Need Dandy updates :smiley:
  • Options
    @mercuryfoam
    Ah, Ollie's aunt, she's... for all we know he may have many aunts, but there's only one that you've met ;) Not to worry, you'll get an update on what went down with Dandy and his lovelife (gasp) in the next chapter! :)
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @mercuryfoam
    Ah, Ollie's aunt, she's... for all we know he may have many aunts, but there's only one that you've met ;) Not to worry, you'll get an update on what went down with Dandy and his lovelife (gasp) in the next chapter! :)

@mercuryfoam @ThePlumbob
    Oh dear lord did Dandelion get involved with Gemma? :astonished:
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @mercuryfoam

@mercuryfoam @ThePlumbob
    Oh dear lord did Dandelion get involved with Gemma? :astonished:

@_sims_Yimi I wasn't sure how to answer so I'll just answer by publishing the next chapter, lol.

• Options
    Ch 67
    Now that Dandy is Hawthorne's age I wonder if he'd like to leave his nest too. He's going to live for a long time and I can't imagine him wanting to live his long life in Slyvan Glade. Though if he does I suppose it's not too surprising since he doesn't seem like an adventurous soul either. Also...

What a mess Morgyn has made out of both Cordy and Micah. Cordy, stuck in a loveless/love-denied relationship for almost 20 years, with the knowledge that her past lover and father to Hawthorne are seeing each other behind her back (or openly). So she's unable to move on and put them behind her. She should've left those two, but it's scary for a single mom to go out into the world on her own if she doesn't have or know of any kind of support available in the systems. And I'm pretty sure Morgyn will lay claim to her baby in some way. So Cordy is stuck, probably convinced herself that she's alright because Morgyn supplied a roof over her head and Micah supplies the dough, but becomes utterly resentful in the end.

They really should've gone their separated ways. I mean, if Micah's idea of 'responsibility' is to provide money and babysitting services, that can be arranged long distance. That way Cordy can move on. It'll be so much healthier for everyone too. And she won't have such a stressful relationship with Hawthorne.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    Ha, I'm now picturing Dandelion going backpacking or interrailing :joy: That would be fun! Though you're right, I'm not sure he's all that adventures. We'll see what he gets up to as a young adult, I haven't necessarily entirely decided myself yet :)

That's an interesting perspective! Morgyn's claim on Hawthorne is questionable for sure, but Micah's is not. Now this probably depends on your views of co-parenting and custody, but why do you consider Cordelia the one to be entitled to Hawthorne while Micah is just some dude that babysits? Would you feel the same way if Micah decided to move away from Glimmerbrook and took Hawthorne with him?

We've seen Cordelia and Micah make the decision to not pursue a romantic relationship and to move in together to raise Hawthorne. Both of those decisions were made jointly, so I'm not sure if it's fair to pin the blame solely on Micah - though I do agree that living with someone you may have underlying feelings for and who's seeing your ex is not a very healthy setup! :D

In fairness, in the early days living together was probably the only option, considering we know Hawthorne only slept a couple of hours every night, while Cordelia does obviously need to sleep and Micah can't be up and about during the daytime - so even if they went their separate ways, whoever had Hawthorne would need live-in help. Might as well be the other parent, especially considering they were on amicable terms and both wanted to raise the kid. You're right that that kind of arrangement is definitely not needed now. And yet, when Cordelia suggests that Micah moves out, he doesn't want to, so he might have other reasons for sticking around beyond babysitting and bringing the dough :)
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob
    I'm not sure where it seemed like I was blaming on Micah. Definitely Morgyn though. what I recall in the past few chapters,
    1. She stopped trusting Morgyn once she got pregnant
    2. Slight distrust Micah by association already then
    3. Therefore went through pregnancy alone

Imo Cordy 's resentment started then and festered for 20 years. We see her take it out on Micah in Dandy-got-bitten-chapters. We see Micah and Morgyn getting it on then too and with this chapter, I've made the assumption that Cordy's bitterness and Micah/Morgyn had been going on this entire time. I'll be glad to stand corrected in the next update that my assumptions are wrong. What I'm simply saying is with what little I know as a reader at present, Cordy's mental health might've had a chance to recover if she was not constantly around the sources of her negativity. Im considering alternative what-ifs that might make this a little healtheir for Cordy.

I don't know about living together being the only option. We know San Myshuno exists, that Morgyn is loaded, and Micah wants to be responsible. Child support and live-in help aren't game breakers. ""Might as well be the other parent"" Maybe. But settling has made Cordy bitter. And Im supplying this as a pondering if there is a healthier alternative for her.

Hm if I were a judge, and I hear how Cordy came to be with her child, and then how her current partner acquiesed to that same person's wishes in getting cordy pregnant, I'd rule Hawthorne to be in Cordy's custody lol, simply because I dont think Micah can be trusted to have Cordy's best interests at heart. Also because Micah is completely shut off in his coffin, but Cordy can still be woken up at night if there's an emergency. I don't know about Micah being a 'dude that just visits'. He can be more of course. There are many fams whose parents can't live together but children gets love frm both sides.
    He might have other reasons for sticking around beyond babysitting and bringing the dough
    Interesting.. cant wait! Other parent pov will be good to have. :)
  • Options
    @mercuryfoam This reply is insanely long, sorry about that! Feel free to disregard :)
    Blaming Morgyn is definitely justified. And you're right, Cordelia's resentment and current emotional state was a long time in the making. I personally consider the tipping moment when
    she smashed the wooden statue as soon as she made it because she decided it was pointless.

Well, the last time we saw a POV from Micah's perspective was in chapter 60 where he comes to offer Cordelia help throughout the pregnancy and once the baby was born, including offering to move in, but only if she'd be comfortable with him living there. They both have mixed feelings and are very conscious of the love spell, and ultimately both decide not to be a couple even though both of their emotions are mixed - Cordelia was denying this relationship and its validity just as much as Micah was, if not more. Cordelia asks about Morgyn and Micah admits he doesn't know what he's going to do in that respect, which is problematic but honest. I'm not sure if it's fair to have expected for Micah to make all of his decisions from then on solely based on Cordelia's mental wellbeing or have the ability to predict the future. They both went into the arrangement with best intentions.

I think I should preface this next bit by saying that I know a couple of men (one of them is a family member, one of them is a close friend's brother) who are desperate to be in their children's lives but their exes who have custody use the children as bargaining chips, deny the fathers seeing the children and block a possible relationship with the father when all they want to do is see their kid. So my opinions on this are likely affected by that.

I doubt any judge would find the real story of how Cordelia got pregnant plausible, magic is not a commonly known thing in the BC universe outside of Glimmerbrook :) But yes, if there was a court hearing, I'm sure they would give custody to Cordelia, because they generally tend to give custody to the woman, and because as a vampire, Micah would not even be able to show up for the hearing during the day, lol. And there is no doubt that Micah would not be able to look after Hawthorne without help on his own, like you say he is out of action entirely during the day. But courts are here for when the parents generally can't work it out between themselves.

I personally think that if both parents want to be involved in the child's life equally, and it's logistically viable, they should have the opportunity to. Especially since it's so easy for the man to check out and not be involved should they choose to do that. So that's probably why I reacted strongly to positioning Micah as the person who provides money and babysits "Cordelia's" child. Whether or not Micah pursues a romantic relationship with Morgyn should not dictate how much time he is allowed to spend with his child.

That of course doesn't mean that the two parents need to live together to effectively co-parent. But assuming Micah does want to look after Hawthorne every night, and Cordelia does need to sleep every night, it would still be the case of him coming to her house every night or taking Hawthorne every night. Yes, you could hire a night-time babysitter to look after Hawthorne at night so that Cordelia doesn't have to look at Micah, if you wanted to be extreme. Or say, for example, Cordelia moved to San Myshuno as you suggested - San Myshuno is pretty far from Glimmerbrook, so in all likelihood, they'd have to rely on Morgyn teleporting Micah to San Myshuno every time Micah was to see his child. All of these scenarios bend over backwards to accommodate Cordelia's mental wellbeing and defaulting to her being the primary caregiver, with Micah being the one who would have to take a step back for her sake. And I'm still not sure if they would particularly make her mental wellbeing any better. They'd probably just create resentment from Micah's side, and Cordelia would still fall to bits because Morgyn touched Hawthorne's toothbrush or something.
  • Options
    No worries! It's good to know. :)
    Well, the last time we saw a POV from Micah's perspective was in chapter 60 where he comes to offer Cordelia help throughout the pregnancy and once the baby was born, including offering to move in, but only if she'd be comfortable with him living there. They both have mixed feelings and are very conscious of the love spell, and ultimately both decide not to be a couple even though both of their emotions are mixed - Cordelia was denying this relationship and its validity just as much as Micah was, if not more. Cordelia asks about Morgyn and Micah admits he doesn't know what he's going to do in that respect, which is problematic but honest. I'm not sure if it's fair to have expected for Micah to make all of his decisions from then on solely based on Cordelia's mental wellbeing or have the ability to predict the future. They both went into the arrangement with best intentions.
    I’m not expecting, nor was I keen on a Cordy/Micah ship for a while now. So I hear you, but I didn't weigh their romance in.
    I’m also not blaming, nor have I put any expectation on Micah. I’m simply stating that separation might be best. I’ve not said Micah should do/say anything. Them living together is on them, therefore I’ve been using the word ‘they’ than for anyone to do anything specific. Fair enough. I’ve wrongly made assumptions about Micah’s responsibility. I must’ve interpreted Micah's conversation with Morgyn about Hawthorne to be less affectionate than it is. :)
    I think I should preface this next bit by saying that I know a couple of men (one of them is a family member, one of them is a close friend's brother) who are desperate to be in their children's lives but their exes who have custody use the children as bargaining chips, deny the fathers seeing the children and block a possible relationship with the father when all they want to do is see their kid. So my opinions on this are likely affected by that.
    I personally think that if both parents want to be involved in the child's life equally, and it's logistically viable, they should have the opportunity to. 
    That of course doesn't mean that the two parents need to live together to effectively co-parent. But assuming Micah does want to look after Hawthorne every night, and Cordelia does need to sleep every night, it would still be the case of him coming to her house every night or taking Hawthorne every night.
    So I’ll also need to clarify what I mean by 'Separate'. It’s not as drastic as it sounds. There’s a relationship status here called Separated which is different with divorce. My pov came from family too, but is more positive which must’ve framed my optimism. Mom wasn’t toxic/baiting dad with kids, and dad came around every single day for chores/hangout/vacay with kids. Kids went to Dad’s place sometimes. Mom was able to heal mentally. Mom and Dad started dating other people, kids got best of both parents. (Dad wasn’t asked to do chores when he came over btw, he wanted to do something for his kids.)
     All of these scenarios bend over backwards to accommodate Cordelia's mental wellbeing and defaulting to her being the primary caregiver, with Micah being the one who would have to take a step back for her sake. And I'm still not sure if they would particularly make her mental wellbeing any better.
    I guess I don’t see it as bend-over-backwards-accommodation, especially when one partner is mentally-ill / depressed (thanks Morgyn), which really deserves as much recognition as physical illnesses. Neither do I see a problem with Cordy and Hawthorne together while Micah comes over. He’s the one with super speed and Morgyn’s teleportation at hand. If that doesn’t work out they can simply take turns having Hawthorne over. I’m always for if there is a slightest chance of it being a win-win for everyone, they should try it out. True that Micah might become resentful. Honestly, the best thing to do would be talk to each other and revise their arrangements if needed than drag it into the next decade. But if anything the past 20 or so chapters have already ironed out how poor communication is among them. :joy: But it is very realistic and there are relationships like this. Here's hoping they manage to sort themselves out. It's never too late to live. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    I wasn't necessarily looking at it from the perspective of a romantic relationship either, though it's likely the love spell contributed to their decision to live together.

I suppose their situation is different from that of a failed romantic relationship where the parents decided to separate or divorced, in that they never were in a romantic relationship to begin with, but already did have experience living together, and were friends - really at the time Micah would have been Cordelia's only adult friend, and in a way each other's support system. The bitterness crept in gradually.

It's definitely true that it would have made sense for them to reconsider their living arrangements at a later point, especially once Hawthorne got older. Apparently they didn't, which you are right is odd. I mean, from what we saw of Morgyn and Micah last time, Morgyn would have probably preferred for Micah to live in the magic realm with them.

Controversially, I don't necessarily think Cordelia's mental state is all on Morgyn either. Their relationship messed her up yes, as did the love spell. But the bigger issue is that she was always all too eager to make Morgyn the cenre of her universe and sole reason for existence, the same way she then later made Hawthorne the centre of her universe and sole reason for existence. Now Hawthorne is leaving and once again, Cordelia finds herself with nothing. I'm not sure I necessarily see Cordelia as depressed (unlike Micah, who we have definitely seen depressed in the past), more so she is extremely emotionally numb (now that I mention it, remember when I sent you Sleepwalking Past Hope? That is Cordelia's current song). I do think she has something diagnosable, and has had from the beginning, and I'm almost surprised nobody's ever suggested it, with how eager people are to diagnose the likes of Morgyn :D
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
  • Options
    Chapter 67
    Right, I am digging a misery pit for Gemma. :angry: How dare you hurt poor, innocent Dandy you horrible opportunistic woman. Gah, those happy eyes of his, noooooooooo!
    Not everyone is obsessed with Morgyn.
    Oh, Dandy. I wonder if he thought he wasn’t interesting compared to Morgyn, seeing how Cordy obsesses over them (either positively or negatively) and ignores him in the process. Gah, poor Dandy. So that’s what happened to shatter his happy innocence.
    “Can’t feel like I’m falling to pieces when I fill myself with rage.”
    This sums up current Cordelia completely, doesn’t it? Hatred is all she has left in order to not feel hollow. So she keeps hating Morgyn, hating Gemma, hating the Charms, hating magic, hating Micah…. :disappointed:
    J6AKQqX.jpg