Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Happened In Your Game Today, The Non-Serial Story Version

Comments

• Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    @PenguinFoop, my posts are not whole stories. They are just what happened in my game that day.

That's fine. The problem is that if you post long posts, I post long posts, simmers 2, 3, 4 ,5 and so on all post long posts, then there is the problem.

Maybe for your specific situation, there is still a place in the above mentioned category. You could start a "Today in My Wolrd" thread that would be dedicated to what all happens in your world on any given day. It would be your very own dedicated thread. That would keep the focus on everything you post while letting the rest of us give our reactions.

In fact, that probably is the more appropriate platform for all of us who share in this thrwad. We should probably all have our own dedicated threads there to post what happens in our worlds...

In a sense, what we post in here are stories, albeit non-traditional stories.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited February 2022
    Delete. Doesn't apply to this thread.
    Post edited by telemwill on
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    What I like about the storytelling threads, including both What Happened threads, Funny Moments and others, is that there's a lot more talk between and among players about each other's stories.

The threads over in the Creative section are great for posting a story that's meant to be continuous, and people do comment, but there's not as much back-and-forth conversation. But the advantage there is, as a reader, you can follow those stories that you like and ignore the stories you aren't interested in. So for folks who hate scrolling past long posts that they don't care about, I might suggest reading the Creative section more and the What Happened threads less.

Personally, it doesn't bother me to just scroll past some posts and read others with enjoyment. Regardless of what section they are posted in. Thank you all for sharing your creativity, it makes my day more fun <3

(PS One other issue with images outside spoilers that hasn't been mentioned: for some browsers, including mine, lots of images outside spoilers cause the thread to constantly jump several posts backward over and over again while you're trying to read the thread. What happens is the screen adjusts for the total vertical size of the thread including only the currently-loaded images, so as more images load, the thread gets vertically bigger and the view jumps backward. And then I have to scroll forward to find my place, and it jumps backward again, over and over until all images on that page of the thread have fully loaded. Images in spoilers don't cause this problem.)
  • Options
    4cqB3ji.png
    Here are three children of premade Sims. Amelia (young adult) is Dennis Kim's younger daughter. Eden (teen) is Vivian Lewis' youngest. Opal (child) is the daughter of Alice Spencer-Kim and Eric Lewis.

sHLnQA5.png
    And here is Olivia Spencer-Kim as a teen. She had her birthday recently in my game.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Delete.
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I think at this point we should all just agree to disagree. The OP intended this to be a one off thread as there was already a thread for lengthier what happened in your game today posts, hence the non serial in the title. It was even stated in the opening post that it’s for one offs (I get that nobody reads it at this point but that’s no excuse to derail a thread or get offended when it’s requested to return to its original purpose). People decided to make longer posts/serial posts, and the OP and others simply wanted this thread back on track or a new thread but that was closed.

OP is not wrong for that and neither are those of us that want it. There are so many threads for longer stories/posts, we should not have to go to a different section when there was a thread made for what we wanted but was derailed by others.

I pop into many threads when bored but I want a thread to post in/read frequently. Again, we all deserve a place to call home. There are so many lengthy/serial/storytelling homes, let the one off people have a home as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Delete
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Hey all,

We're discussing this issue over in this thread right now if you'd like to weigh in.

At the end of the day, this is @Catzilla 's thread and to an extent, what they say goes.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    OK, I did start another thread. I'll just post there from now on. I welcome anyone else who wants to post or comment.

Merged this with the main thread, please don't create a new thread using this format when others already exist for this purpose.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    @Catzilla I know you're trying to be as diplomatic as possible in your opinion on what this thread has become, and I have to say I had a thought in mind just yesterday of possibly starting a "My Wedding Stories" thread, but alas, my young couple has only just met, finally. I want to take my time before they waltz down that isle. My story would ultimately come in parts. So, since they aren't married yet, not all of the parts are there. Why start a thread that is inherently incomplete by the OP, right?

Also, I used to be on the original "What Happened In Your Game Today" thread, but my game kept breaking. I had to keep starting over and that made me feel bad. So, I jumped over here, instead thinking that nobody would mind so much if I had to stop writing about one save and jump over, instead to another save.

By the time I got here, however, it was already very much like the first thread. I used what I learned from the first thread, to put my pictures under spoiler tabs. And if my tale is on the longer side, I will break it up into anywhere from 1-3 parts. So far, I haven't heard any complaints. That is, until now. I have to be very honest here. Just in reading your post I felt like I should leave. Or, perhaps, I'll try to start a new thread with a different name for those who are now feeling like I am. Unwanted. I'll stick around long enough to see if a compromise is reached. I've also noticed that some are using the Picture Spamming thread to tell stories, too. Face it, we all play this game to tell stories of one sort or another.

If you need to trim the entire thread I would volunteer to remove my story posts. I've already done so with a one I posted very recently of which I was quite displeased in the long run. I'm a writer by trade, and am very used to deleting or redrafting until the story is right. Give the word and I'll start removing my posts to make more room.

You are never unwanted, Galactic Gal. I love that you've got a game that you've created, developed and played for so long.

Leave your stories up, no one has to delete anything, they can stay here as a record and for memories. As for going forward, yes, this thread wasn't intended to take away from or replace the long version over on the original thread. Honestly, you have a lot of time and creativity invested in your main story and I think you should start a thread or a blog where you can write all your stories out in the way that allows you the maximum creative freedom. You have a worthwhile story project and you should continue it. If you want to share a snippet or a slice of Erik and his family's lives here you will be welcome.
  • Options
    BookBear wrote: »
    I generally don’t post many updates on my game, anywhere really. I enjoy writing them, but I hate taking pictures, and actually putting them out for other people to see is stressful. I feel like I’m just bothering people with my long picture-less stories, without any context. Every time I try to add pictures, and make it seem nice, I get tired of it, and abandon that save file. But I do want to tell the stories of my sims! I have a lot of contradictions.

Don't worry, pics are not required, text only posts are absolutely fine. I don't do many images either (because I'm lazy, forgetful and I don't like the imaging apps available these days).
    Text posts are easier to read if the have paragraph breaks and are not what they call a wall of text.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    OK, I did start another thread. I'll just post there from now on. I welcome anyone else who wants to post or comment.

Merged this with the main thread, please don't create a new thread using this format when others already exist for this purpose.

Thank you! I am glad to know it did fit in here.

Someone please let me know if spoiler tags are needed for all pictures. If so, I will go back and add them.
  • Options
    There is a new thread I noticed. The rules are very constricting. We can only post two photos! And the text must be short. I use photos to help illustrate what happened. I try to keep the explanation for the photos to a minimum. And they are only there if they fit the story! Also, I put them under the spoiler tab. If I don't have photos to share, I will put text under the spoiler tab to help keep help the page load easier. I also make my pictures smaller than they are when taken in-game. I have Paint since I use Windows.

Basically, I don't fit this other new thread and I never will. Since it appears I no longer fit here, either, I have no home. I could try to post in the Creative Corner, and indeed I was moving my entire Erik Cantrell story over there, but I ran into a huge snag. You can't post pictures there at all! I'm at a loss. I tell these stories since I'm in between novels at the moment, just to keep my skills honed. Plus, it's fun, or it used to be. I know some other players enjoy them, so that's something at least. I just don't understand why this is happening.

It looks like the other story tellers in the creative corner post links to their personal blogs or websites where their actual stories are located. It looks like they post announcements about new chapters or updates in the forum posts. Do you have a WordPress or DreamWidth account?
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Regardless of any 'rules' for a thread, if a thread survives more than a few weeks it is going to have a lot of people who post outside of those rules, simply because they have forgotten the exact specifics of what the rules are. The forum doesn't have a way to repeat a specific post on every single page, and most people will only read the first post (where the rules are most likely specified) the first time they open the thread.

This is a good point. I do not want to be the strict forum post cop, there will be flexibility and latitude given. Text posts are less demanding to load than image heavy posts and if there are paragraph breaks to break up the blocks of text they can be longer posts. Use of the spoiler function to 'hide' the other images may help with the load times too. Do we know if a block oc text can be hiiden under and spoiler? If so, that will also shorten what appears in a post up front.
    Again, short does not mean like Twitter short, you should be allowed to describe a thing that happened in your game. If you run longer, see if you can hide part of the text or the extra pictures it under the spoiler feature. If any of you ever used a blog like LiveJournal you'll be familiar with the Cut feature.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    There is a new thread I noticed. The rules are very constricting. We can only post two photos! And the text must be short. I use photos to help illustrate what happened. I try to keep the explanation for the photos to a minimum. And they are only there if they fit the story! Also, I put them under the spoiler tab. If I don't have photos to share, I will put text under the spoiler tab to help keep help the page load easier. I also make my pictures smaller than they are when taken in-game. I have Paint since I use Windows.

Basically, I don't fit this other new thread and I never will. Since it appears I no longer fit here, either, I have no home. I could try to post in the Creative Corner, and indeed I was moving my entire Erik Cantrell story over there, but I ran into a huge snag. You can't post pictures there at all! I'm at a loss. I tell these stories since I'm in between novels at the moment, just to keep my skills honed. Plus, it's fun, or it used to be. I know some other players enjoy them, so that's something at least. I just don't understand why this is happening.

It looks like the other story tellers in the creative corner post links to their personal blogs or websites where their actual stories are located. It looks like they post announcements about new chapters or updates in the forum posts. Do you have a WordPress or DreamWidth account?

I used to have a WordPress account, but somehow I'm locked out of it. My original Pinstar Legacy Challenge Story is there! I've never heard of DreamWidth, so I will see what it's about. Thank you. I'm just feeling very lost at the moment. What's a writer without a Reader, you know?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    @PenguinFoop, my posts are not whole stories. They are just what happened in my game that day.

That's fine. The problem is that if you post long posts, I post long posts, simmers 2, 3, 4 ,5 and so on all post long posts, then there is the problem.

Maybe for your specific situation, there is still a place in the above mentioned category. You could start a "Today in My Wolrd" thread that would be dedicated to what all happens in your world on any given day. It would be your very own dedicated thread. That would keep the focus on everything you post while letting the rest of us give our reactions.

In fact, that probably is the more appropriate platform for all of us who share in this thrwad. We should probably all have our own dedicated threads there to post what happens in our worlds...

In a sense, what we post in here are stories, albeit non-traditional stories.

The only problem I see with all the individual threads, is that will impact the entire Forum.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    megan_mariamegan_maria Posts: 645 Member
    My sim and Brant Hecking are expecting their third child.

zIQrRjo.png

I've been playing The Sims 3 since it was released and only switched to The Sims 4 a few months ago. I didn't realise that Brant was married to Brent, once I did Brent got a swift delete. Lol.

I also sent them on a holiday in Sulani for a few days which was fun.

OCCRWnl.png
  • Options
    I think maybe a few rules like:

1) One to Two images per post ONLY
    2) No more that ONE paragraph for description
    3) Use spoilers*

*Steps on how to tag something as a spoiler listed here.

Those are the suggestions I have to keep it short and easier to navigate.

But I hate long paragraphs. And that is what we would get. I can deal with a ten sentence limit, maybe. But if I want to divide those sentences up into three paragraphs to make them easier to read, why ever not?

I agree about long paragraphs. But isn't the point of this thread to be about what's happened in our game today and not over a period of time?

If we want to tell a whole story the we have this category https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-stories-and-legacies for that. At least that's my understanding.

A proper paragraph contains 6-8 sentences. Trying to contain the whole of what may have happened in a player's game in one session (today's) is very constricting if you restrict it to a single paragraph. That's just a report, not a story.
  • Options

I used to have a WordPress account, but somehow I'm locked out of it. My original Pinstar Legacy Challenge Story is there! I've never heard of DreamWidth, so I will see what it's about. Thank you. I'm just feeling very lost at the moment. What's a writer without a Reader, you know?

You could start a new WordPress account to get around the lock out or ask support for help with your locked account.
    DreamWidth is a more user friendly blog format, I think anyway. It also allows other to comment and provide feedback on your posts. It will get more active once you've established yourself and built up a friend list. You'll also want to check out the writing communities there and meet other like minded folks that way. There may even be a few Sims communities on DreamWidth already. Basic accounts are free, premium accounts are pretty inexpensive.
    I'm a writer too (I write novel length fiction) so I totally get you and the long form writing style.
  • Options
    Yeah, I get your point, @Stormkeep . But I'm thinking maybe a reboot and let this one fade away...

And I'm thinking I must have had a prescient moment when I copied and pasted all of my threads into my Word-Processing program. :open_mouth: Really, I did it because I was trying to sort out just how many Accolades my Sim had won to date. Seems I had two less sets of acceptance pictures than I had songs that won. Found the errors, when I found the folder the pictures were in. :open_mouth: But glad, now, my story won't fade away as you put it.

One of the reasons I never saw the criteria for this thread, is when you open any thread it automatically takes you to the latest post. Next time, I shall make a practice to go to page one and see what the 'rules' are. Up until now, this thread has provided a great deal of enjoyment. I will be sad to leave. I rarely, if ever make a one-off. I don't write short stories, on the whole, and if something is worth my time to write, it goes into the rest of the story. So, I will figure out just how I want to share my Erik Story and a way to let others, who may be interested, know when it's been updated. And, yes, sometimes my post includes more than just one gaming-session in order to tell a more cohesive story. My bad.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    So I chose Shana to be my test sim and work her way up to a good job, find a husband and have a nice wedding. However she was easily distracted by the scenery. This may take more work that I intended. :D I so wish that was me relaxing on that lounge.

B0f83xl.png
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    @GalacticGal You can post pictures in the Creative Corner Stories. Legacies and Challenges thread. I follow a few of the current and former WHIYGT thread posters over there. It's a lot more strict on the spoiler rule than general discussion threads tend to be, but I have definitely seen pictures!
    Personally I missed Erik and family when you left that thread, but I didn't have the energy to follow multiple threads so I lost track after you moved here. I would be happy to follow a new thread if you created one. I have been thinking of doing something similar and posting a better written full summary of my sims' lives so far in that thread. Then when I post my gameplay I'd add it to that thread and post a few highlights in one or more General Discussions threads (like the born in game sims or the what happened threads or last screenshot, etc) with a link to the full update in the other thread.
    I still love the original What Happened in your Game thread, but I'm playing a lot less these days and I don't expect anyone to remember that one time last year when I last posted about the family I just played.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Daephene wrote: »
    @GalacticGal You can post pictures in the Creative Corner Stories. Legacies and Challenges thread. I follow a few of the current and former WHIYGT thread posters over there. It's a lot more strict on the spoiler rule than general discussion threads tend to be, but I have definitely seen pictures!
    Personally I missed Erik and family when you left that thread, but I didn't have the energy to follow multiple threads so I lost track after you moved here. I would be happy to follow a new thread if you created one. I have been thinking of doing something similar and posting a better written full summary of my sims' lives so far in that thread. Then when I post my gameplay I'd add it to that thread and post a few highlights in one or more General Discussions threads (like the born in game sims or the what happened threads or last screenshot, etc) with a link to the full update in the other thread.
    I still love the original What Happened in your Game thread, but I'm playing a lot less these days and I don't expect anyone to remember that one time last year when I last posted about the family I just played.

Thank you. I will doublecheck the photo thing in the Creative Corner. I just know that it was stated third party links weren't allowed. (I use imjur) If I can find a way to directly post the pictures from my computer, then problem solved. Otherwise, I may just open another blog. Or, I will come back to the original thread I began in. Enough time has gone by my 'starting over' won't be a thing for me or anyone else, I hope. I do post pictures in the post your last screenshot or even the spammer photos thread. As for making a new thread, that's out. Cade wants us to post in one of three places that he stated in setting down some guidelines. I'll take a bit of time to think about just what I want to do. And I'll post either a link or something as to where interested players can fine my stories about Erik and his escapades. :)
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • Options
    Catzilla wrote: »
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Regardless of any 'rules' for a thread, if a thread survives more than a few weeks it is going to have a lot of people who post outside of those rules, simply because they have forgotten the exact specifics of what the rules are. The forum doesn't have a way to repeat a specific post on every single page, and most people will only read the first post (where the rules are most likely specified) the first time they open the thread.

This is a good point. I do not want to be the strict forum post cop, there will be flexibility and latitude given. Text posts are less demanding to load than image heavy posts and if there are paragraph breaks to break up the blocks of text they can be longer posts. Use of the spoiler function to 'hide' the other images may help with the load times too. Do we know if a block oc text can be hiiden under and spoiler? If so, that will also shorten what appears in a post up front.
    Again, short does not mean like Twitter short, you should be allowed to describe a thing that happened in your game. If you run longer, see if you can hide part of the text or the extra pictures it under the spoiler feature. If any of you ever used a blog like LiveJournal you'll be familiar with the Cut feature.

I have used text under the spoiler tabs, when I really didn't have pictures to post that related to the tale I was telling. So, yeah, that works. I break up the paragraphs because a Wall of Text is hard to read for most people, myself included. I do it as a courtesy.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member

Thank you. I will doublecheck the photo thing in the Creative Corner. I just know that it was stated third party links weren't allowed. )I use imjur) If I can find a way to directly post the pictures from my computer, then problem solved. Otherwise, I may just open another blog. Or, I will come back to the original thread I began in. Enough time has gone by my 'starting over' won't be a thing for me or anyone else, I hope. I do post pictures in the post your last screenshot or even the spammer photos thread. As for making a new thread, that's out. Cade wants us to post in one of three places that he stated in setting down some guidelines. I'll take a bit of time to think about just what I want to do. And I'll post either a link or something as to where interested players can fine my stories about Erik and his escapades. :)

Oh, by new thread I meant in the stories and legacies section. I actually just went there and found your post about Erik from earlier this month and favorited the thread so I'll be notified if you add to it. And that's also where I meant I'd repost a summary of my sims up to this point, but in story form, and refer people to that thread if they want to know more than my brief updates.
    I thought all photos had to go through imgur to be posted to the boards, so maybe they are excepted?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top