Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the real reason EA choosed eco lifestyle voor this EP?

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    EdithV wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    People voted for it for a stuff pack, not a expansion. I don’t think people would have wanted a whole expansion based on that theme, in fact seeing people’s reactions I’m pretty positive

People react like this literally any time they announce any pack, lol.

I'm not saying that folks can't criticize EA (I do all the time! I have complaints!), but "people are complaining the new pack isn't their preferred theme" happens with literally every new pack.

I think it's exasperated this time by the hoax farming pack leak where a certain sect of players got their dreams crushed, which I will fully admit (having been through similar myself) can be a pretty harsh feeling.

But it's still demonstrably factually wrong to say "no one wanted this", which people who didn't want this will say any time any pack is coming out ever.

I didn’t say no one wanted it. I said people voted for this theme for a stuff pack, but they may not have done for an expansion pack.

Considering that after laundry "won" the gameplay vote, people posts in the suggestions/ideas forums were all about how cool it would be to see the features that didn't make it in a game pack or expansion pack, I think that people would, in fact, have voted for it to be an expansion pack.

@superkyle221 Thats why I have been saying for a long time now: they should let us vote for game packs and expansion packs like the community voted stuff packs. Its much more work, much more voting, but its NOT impossible to do. They can start now with one of each jsut to test the waters and see how thigns go and learn with it. When we work as a community to get a new pack, we feel so proud of having been part of this, we get so excited to play it... I doubt everyone would be bashing in this pack if we had voted to build it. If we already knew this was coming there would be no need for a "fake leak" to mislead the community as well.

But do you think people would have voted for the general concept of Get Together? I don't. Yet I've seen so many people say it's a pack they can't imagine living without.

People who go to work in something like game design are creative people. If we non-creatives relied only on ourselves for ideas we'd never get anything very new. I work with creators as part of my job; one of the best things is when they come up with ideas and solutions that I never would have. I don't want all my clothes to look like they came from The Gap; I don't want all my games to have come from majority vote either.

Also, are you actually suggesting that EA was the source of the photoshop fake?? Seriously? Based on what evidence?
    I admit I don't. Then it would be based off of whatever is trendy at the time. I like being surprised sometimes. I was pleasantly surprised how well Strangeville worked while offering non-linear gameplay too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    People voted for it for a stuff pack, not a expansion. I don’t think people would have wanted a whole expansion based on that theme, in fact seeing people’s reactions I’m pretty positive

I'm not saying that folks can't criticize EA (I do all the time! I have complaints!), but "people are complaining the new pack isn't their preferred theme" happens with literally every new pack.

I think it's exasperated this time by the hoax farming pack leak where a certain sect of players got their dreams crushed, which I will fully admit (having been through similar myself) can be a pretty harsh feeling.

But it's still demonstrably factually wrong to say "no one wanted this", which people who didn't want this will say any time any pack is coming out ever.

I didn’t say no one wanted it. I said people voted for this theme for a stuff pack, but they may not have done for an expansion pack.

Considering that after laundry "won" the gameplay vote, people posts in the suggestions/ideas forums were all about how cool it would be to see the features that didn't make it in a game pack or expansion pack, I think that people would, in fact, have voted for it to be an expansion pack.

@superkyle221 Thats why I have been saying for a long time now: they should let us vote for game packs and expansion packs like the community voted stuff packs. Its much more work, much more voting, but its NOT impossible to do. They can start now with one of each jsut to test the waters and see how thigns go and learn with it. When we work as a community to get a new pack, we feel so proud of having been part of this, we get so excited to play it... I doubt everyone would be bashing in this pack if we had voted to build it. If we already knew this was coming there would be no need for a "fake leak" to mislead the community as well.

So many reasons for why this wouldn't work well or make the community any happier.

Both the stuff packs are perfect examples of that. Years later, there are still people who don't care in the slightest for Laundry Day and are vocal about how they think the pack was a waste. And the recent vote left a big amount of the community unhappy too, especially with how close the vote was between Arts&Crafts and Happy Haunts.
    I can guarantee that if all packs were voted on, or even just game packs, there would be a comparable amount of bashing as there is now.

And the leak came from someone who was bored and/or malicious, looking for attention. People get impatient and know that the Simmer community will eat up any hint of a leak without thinking twice. There's never a need for it.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member

@superkyle221 Thats why I have been saying for a long time now: they should let us vote for game packs and expansion packs like the community voted stuff packs. Its much more work, much more voting, but its NOT impossible to do.

I could see his going horribly ppl already get mad when the sp theme they voted for didn't make it. Saying who wanted this and that they rigged the voting. So with a bigger pack this would be worse. Of course it wouldn't financially affect them since a lot of ppl would buy it either way.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    I'm really interested in this pack, but I understand, I'm afraid on that too. I think everyone is just afraid it might be a bigger strangerville without replayability value later on. What I DON'T understand is how everyoen is being rude, attacking devs, etc... It must be really disappointing to work on something knowing everyone will hate you when you announce it.

I don't see this as another Strangerville at all.

While Strangerville is one specific and kinda linear story set in the titular world, this one instead seems to be a world that happens to have possibilities that you may or may not decide to play out.

That's what the voting system is for, so as far as I understand, you may get to decide which parts you want to fix and which parts you'd rather keep.

I would like to know more about how the voting system works, if I vote for a certain outcome, will it happen for sure or there is a chance that the rest of the community voted for something else? Also, what happens if I have different playable sims vote for different things during the same time period/voting session.

from what i have understood you are meant to also argue for your point of view and convince the others (the debate skill in university might come in handy here... another overlap, like the ones they say there will be many of, like with seasons) so i assume if you dont argue enough or convince enough others, or have them vote as well... the idea might not pass...
  • Options

It could be an idea, but what are we really? us on this board, is a very very small sample of sims players, then you have twitter, twich, youtube, IG... again i only learned a month ago there even existed this surveys voting ones... and i have played since sims 1 and i didnt know... my friends didnt know either... and we are all active on twitter but didnt know... there are a lot of sims players who are not in the community as such... why there could still be many upset ones, also at the community if they voted for something they didnt want... i for one know a lot who are yelling at the community for voting for knitting...
  • Options

Both the stuff packs are perfect examples of that. Years later, there are still people who don't care in the slightest for Laundry Day and are vocal about how they think the pack was a waste. And the recent vote left a big amount of the community unhappy too, especially with how close the vote was between Arts&Crafts and Happy Haunts.
    I can guarantee that if all packs were voted on, or even just game packs, there would be a comparable amount of bashing as there is now.

And the leak came from someone who was bored and/or malicious, looking for attention. People get impatient and know that the Simmer community will eat up any hint of a leak without thinking twice. There's never a need for it.

I can honestly say i would not have voted for either laundry or the arts and craft or happy haunts... actually happy haunts sounds like something i would absolutely not play... and i find knitting boring in real life, and cant see myself spend time on it in a game either... though the items and cas looks super nice so i might want those things... and my friends would not vote for any of those things either... and i have seen many on youtube rolling their eyes over a community actually voting for knitting...

I very much agree on the leak... people are bored in lock up right now and do stupid things like that to troll others...
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    Although I like the idea of Eco Living, I'd rather not have it. It seems a little too extreme. I'd rather have a medieval type living (Windenburg doesn't count). I just really want to be able to live in a medieval type setting, with only candles, no phone, period-accurate clothing, and the like. YES, I know about Sims Medieval, but I want a sims 4 Medieval. Wouldn't that be awesome?

I would love a pack about the past, but I prob wouldn't pick Medieval times, I'd prefer pet dinosaurs type thing, haha!!!!
    An option to turn off phones would work very well in the Eco pack too though Ithink, it could fit in with an off-the-grid type lifestyle and so could candles.

You're right. I'd rather live in like, Princess Cordelias kingdom pre-Sloth Invasion or Queen Louisa-Nanette's Kingdom.
  • Options
    Now, to what I'm trying to say - laundry may have "won" the stuff pack vote - but many people weren't happy with it. I refuse to buy laundry because it didn't fit the theme - eco friendly - that was chosen. Afterwards, many people specifically asked for an expansion pack that included some of what was discussed as a possible option in the stuff pack, where we could have all of it together. This is something people asked for, even if it was originally voted on as a stuff pack. People wanted the theme expanded and used in a bigger way.

Here i fell over this the other day: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/933152/what-happened-to-the-eco-living-theme-that-the-laundry-day-stuff-pack-was-supposed-to-be-about#latest
    and it is from 2018 lots of upset people in there over the Eco theme ending in laundery... also can we again be real and admit that many plays the sims and never vote in these things, if they even know they exists...
    The only other pack that it is kind of included in is the upcoming knitting pack, which wasn't decided on as the next pack until after this pack was in development.
    What does the knitting one have to do with ECO?
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    The only other pack that it is kind of included in is the upcoming knitting pack, which wasn't decided on as the next pack until after this pack was in development.
    What does the knitting one have to do with ECO?

Well, people are saying that there's recycled gameplay - so if you're able to sell products that you create in Eco Lifestyle, then that's "recycling" from knitting - or knitting is recycling from it.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The community voted for Eco-Stuff, but it was far too big a theme to fit into one little Stuff Pack. So they had to put aside a ton of their ideas for a bigger pack - they even said that they had lots of ideas they couldn't fit in!
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    The community voted for Eco-Stuff, but it was far too big a theme to fit into one little Stuff Pack. So they had to put aside a ton of their ideas for a bigger pack - they even said that they had lots of ideas they couldn't fit in!

I wish it wasn’t the theme, I’d rather it was something else, but I’m trying to be more positive about it. There could be some not yet revealed feature that makes it more appealing to me. Maybe it will be good. Still hope the next pack is farming or hotels or something
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I wish it wasn’t the theme, I’d rather it was something else, but I’m trying to be more positive about it. There could be some not yet revealed feature that makes it more appealing to me. Maybe it will be good. Still hope the next pack is farming or hotels or something

There's still a game pack to announce and one future cube prediction, the one of the gnome riding a llama fighting a cow or something. So, who knows?
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'm still wondering what it is that makes it a full Expansion Pack. It's not like you can only use Pets in Brindleton Bay. The purpose of an Expansion is to affect the whole game, and up until Island Living that was actually the case. Obviously Seasons affect every world, but that also required doing work in every world. So Eco-Living may do the same thing.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    I'm still wondering what it is that makes it a full Expansion Pack. It's not like you can only use Pets in Brindleton Bay. The purpose of an Expansion is to affect the whole game, and up until Island Living that was actually the case. Obviously Seasons affect every world, but that also required doing work in every world. So Eco-Living may do the same thing.

City living doesn't really affect every world
  • Options
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Very very true... also i dont think that is a requirement that it should... i think an expansion is just one that offer a new lifestyle and a new type of gameplay and world, and has more included than a gamepack... often a world that is a bit bigger... (though salvadora and strangerville are very big but the other ones in gamepacks are rather small) ... it also have more items in it...
  • Options

Very very true... also i dont think that is a requirement that it should... i think an expansion is just one that offer a new lifestyle and a new type of gameplay and world, and has more included than a gamepack... often a world that is a bit bigger... (though salvadora and strangerville are very big but the other ones in gamepacks are rather small) ... it also have more items in it...

Thank you for putting what I was thinking into words.

GTW and GT both expanded on activities for Sims, one with a different system for jobs and the other with the club system.
    CL and IL offered a different environment to live in: apartments vs building on water. They both also expanded existing cultures in the game.
    Seasons changed the worlds' ecosystem.
    C&D added pets to households.
    DU added to the Sims' career development and progress through their lives.
    GF added the fame aspect.

All of them expanded the game, though not necessarily each individual world.
    EL is going to so that by providing alternative ways to acquire things (recycling and upcycling), ways to source energy for items the Sims use (I wouldn't be surprised if solar panels, windmills, and the dew collector allowed Off The Grid use of items that currently don't function there).

We could argue that game packs also impact all of the game because gameplay from them can be used across the whole game, but GPs are a lot more focused. If EL was a game pack, it would likely be a recycling GP only, without the expansion of available energy sources. Or it would be an OTG GP with alternative energy use. It might have more development of those parts but it most certainly wouldn't have both.
  • Options
    xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member

Am I the only one who wouldn't be angry IF this was a SP? Like a whole EXPANSION!?

Exactly. They made ROM (a GP with lots of potential to be turned to an EP) a GP, but they made this baloney an EP? Sigh.. I can’t with EA anymore.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member

GTW and GT both expanded on activities for Sims, one with a different system for jobs and the other with the club system.
    CL and IL offered a different environment to live in: apartments vs building on water. They both also expanded existing cultures in the game.

EL is going to so that by providing alternative ways to acquire things (recycling and upcycling), ways to source energy for items the Sims use (I wouldn't be surprised if solar panels, windmills, and the dew collector allowed Off The Grid use of items that currently don't function there).

We could argue that game packs also impact all of the game because gameplay from them can be used across the whole game, but GPs are a lot more focused. If EL was a game pack, it would likely be a recycling GP only, without the expansion of available energy sources. Or it would be an OTG GP with alternative energy use. It might have more development of those parts but it most certainly wouldn't have both.

To give you a sense of why this is NOT what many of us expect from an expansion, consider if you will TS2 Nightlife expansion pack.

In TS2, your sims could not leave the house; there was nowhere to go. With the release of Nightlife you got:
    1. A whole new aspect of play where you could leave the house for MULTIPLE reasons (nightclub, shopping, restaurant, etc.); this was something every single Sim in every single world could now do; THAT is expanding gameplay.
    2. New objects (so many!), including CARS
    3. A whole frickin new attraction system, including turn-ons/offs, that added even more depth to Sims who already had personality. Again, this aspect of the game applied to ALL teen/adult sims, whether they went out to the new locations or not.
    4. A new "Fury" relationship bar that happened after cheating or vandalism; again, applied to ALL Sims, added depth to gameplay
    5. A new downtown neighborhood
    6. Many new clothes, hair, etc.
    7. A new, "Pleasure" aspiration
    8. Oh, yea, VAMPIRES

Now you tell me: how many expansion/game/stuff packs would this content be chopped up into for TS4. If you think Eco Lifestyle is an EP, you have SERIOUSLY lowered your expectations.
  • Options
    Placebo7 wrote: »

To give you a sense of why this is NOT what many of us expect from an expansion, consider if you will TS2 Nightlife expansion pack.

In TS2, your sims could not leave the house; there was nowhere to go. With the release of Nightlife you got:
    1. A whole new aspect of play where you could leave the house for MULTIPLE reasons (nightclub, shopping, restaurant, etc.); this was something every single Sim in every single world could now do; THAT is expanding gameplay.
    3. A whole frickin new attraction system, including turn-ons/offs, that added even more depth to Sims who already had personality. Again, this aspect of the game applied to ALL teen/adult sims, whether they went out to the new locations or not.
    4. A new "Fury" relationship bar that happened after cheating or vandalism; again, applied to ALL Sims, added depth to gameplay
    8. Oh, yea, VAMPIRES

Now you tell me: how many expansion/game/stuff packs would this content be chopped up into for TS4. If you think Eco Lifestyle is an EP, you have SERIOUSLY lowered your expectations.

Nice deflection and topic change there.

I was simply saying that within the qualification of TS4, EL fits the description of an Expansion Pack.
    Whether previous iterations of the game had more content in EPs, how much they changed the game, that's a whole different conversation entirely.
  • Options

I agree which was what I was thinking. If pollution is not in all worlds in this ep, it won't be the first pack to not change all worlds. Honestly seasons was the only ep that did that and it didn't come with a new world. But I believe this ep will come with gameplay that can be used in all worlds. Like the new hobbies and activities and ways to reduce your bill. And also the voting board which I really want to know more about since I feel like that will change my gameplay either a little bit or a lot.
  • Options

well it has been confirmed that the pollution will be possible to effect the other worlds except the vacation worlds and strangerville:

• Options

I agree which was what I was thinking. If pollution is not in all worlds in this ep, it won't be the first pack to not change all worlds. Honestly seasons was the only ep that did that and it didn't come with a new world. But I believe this ep will come with gameplay that can be used in all worlds. Like the new hobbies and activities and ways to reduce your bill. And also the voting board which I really want to know more about since I feel like that will change my gameplay either a little bit or a lot.

Well it will be included in all worlds except vacation ones and Strangerville, that has been confirmed on twitter today... which actually means it will change a lot of gameplay in every world as you will now have the option to make each one individual in this type of play, if you want them to become dark dystobia area of a destroyed world, or you want them to keep being green and friendly and welcoming... where people dont get sick as easily and die by fly attacking you... but also leave some like that if you like... it is big...
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

8. Oh, yea, VAMPIRES

I was simply saying that within the qualification of TS4, EL fits the description of an Expansion Pack.
    Whether previous iterations of the game had more content in EPs, how much they changed the game, that's a whole different conversation entirely.

Oh I'm sorry, but that's still a very weak defense for qualifying this pack as an expansion. The Sims 4 is considered part of The Sims main series so it should be held up to the high standards of the preceding iterations.

It's not good to keep setting the bar low for TS4 when the previous iterations went above and beyond. This will also affect the quality of TS5. EAxis can't afford to be cheap and lazy anymore now that they have new contenders releasing their own life simulation games soon.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Answer to your title question Why did EA make this..because it's the MFP all over again. It's the MFP to Laundry day, it's the MFP to IL, it's the MFP to Tiny houses pack, it's the MFP to knitting pack...it's the same theme over and over sold to you in a half of dozen packs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Tay-way654Tay-way654 Posts: 50 Member

8. Oh, yea, VAMPIRES

Oh I'm sorry, but that's still a very weak defense for qualifying this pack as an expansion. The Sims 4 is considered part of The Sims main series so it should be held up to the high standards of the preceding iterations.

It's not good to keep setting the bar low for TS4 when the previous iterations went above and beyond. This will also affect the quality of TS5. EAxis can't afford to be cheap and lazy anymore now that they have new contenders releasing their own life simulation games soon.

I’m so scared for TS5, at the rate TS4 has gone I have no faith in a diverse, well-rounded game. Thank god for other simulation games that are under development