Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the real reason EA choosed eco lifestyle voor this EP?

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Maybe they just got bored of repeating the same pack patterns in each iteration of the game and decided to try something new? I'm bored of buying the same packs over and over again so I can kinda understand if that's a reason why. I know it's an unpopular opinion here but I would been disappointed with a country living farming pack personally. That type of life style does not interest me much.
  • Options
    AlveAlve Posts: 101 Member
    Ideally in the real world people would be more self-sustaining by growing their own food, but here it's just technology solving climate change. If they had to make this EXPANSIONpack an eco-living thing, they actually could have included farming. The trailer makes it looks like it's a GP
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm really interested in this pack, but I understand, I'm afraid on that too. I think everyone is just afraid it might be a bigger strangerville without replayability value later on. What I DON'T understand is how everyoen is being rude, attacking devs, etc... It must be really disappointing to work on something knowing everyone will hate you when you announce it.
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I'm really interested in this pack, but I understand, I'm afraid on that too. I think everyone is just afraid it might be a bigger strangerville without replayability value later on. What I DON'T understand is how everyoen is being rude, attacking devs, etc... It must be really disappointing to work on something knowing everyone will hate you when you announce it.

I think some people convinced themselves that the next pack would be farming, and set themselves up for a fall when that wasn't it. Like it's shown waaaay back that Eco Living was voted on months ago, so it's not like the devs saw people's demands and went; "Ha! NO!" It does take months/years to make just one pack or at least have it ready for sale.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

I think that you will need to work constantly to maintain the nice looking neighbourhood, like in Sulani. However, the craftables, up-cycling, the off the grid items will definitely be usable in other worlds so it will be much better than Strangerville.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    Although I like the idea of Eco Living, I'd rather not have it. It seems a little too extreme. I'd rather have a medieval type living (Windenburg doesn't count). I just really want to be able to live in a medieval type setting, with only candles, no phone, period-accurate clothing, and the like. YES, I know about Sims Medieval, but I want a sims 4 Medieval. Wouldn't that be awesome?

I want a pack like this to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Because they can recycle the core feature from Island Living, saves time and money
    Well City Living and University they did this too. I mean they didn't bring the room mate system until University to be anything like the city worlds that were offered in the Sims 2 and 3, so it is not like it is a new concept for the Sims 4 to recycle concepts, since it has been like this for over 5 years now.

Island Living the island clean up was pretty weak anyways and really dull. So nice to see a Dystopian world again which I loved in the Sims 3.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I personally think that it will be wiser to "judge" this pack at least after the gameplay trailer. There's so much happening in a short clip. After all, each and every one of us have a different expectation, preference, & mind set.

TBH, I personally have gotten all the packs that I really want (Seasons + DU), but with all the other & new packs, it seems like an interesting addition for my Sims, after I read & play with the other packs. TBF, this new pack is quite interesting, especially the community gameplay. Most of the time, they only introduced individual gameplay instead of community gameplay. Let's give it a chance and see how this new type of gameplay could change our style or perhaps on how we want to view it, if this pack is what we want to have individually. It would be nice if we do not enforce our way of playing towards others. Let's be more accepting & be open minded. :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    EdithV wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    People voted for it for a stuff pack, not a expansion. I don’t think people would have wanted a whole expansion based on that theme, in fact seeing people’s reactions I’m pretty positive

People react like this literally any time they announce any pack, lol.

I'm not saying that folks can't criticize EA (I do all the time! I have complaints!), but "people are complaining the new pack isn't their preferred theme" happens with literally every new pack.

I think it's exasperated this time by the hoax farming pack leak where a certain sect of players got their dreams crushed, which I will fully admit (having been through similar myself) can be a pretty harsh feeling.

But it's still demonstrably factually wrong to say "no one wanted this", which people who didn't want this will say any time any pack is coming out ever.

I didn’t say no one wanted it. I said people voted for this theme for a stuff pack, but they may not have done for an expansion pack.

Considering that after laundry "won" the gameplay vote, people posts in the suggestions/ideas forums were all about how cool it would be to see the features that didn't make it in a game pack or expansion pack, I think that people would, in fact, have voted for it to be an expansion pack.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    People voted for it for a stuff pack, not a expansion. I don’t think people would have wanted a whole expansion based on that theme, in fact seeing people’s reactions I’m pretty positive

I'm not saying that folks can't criticize EA (I do all the time! I have complaints!), but "people are complaining the new pack isn't their preferred theme" happens with literally every new pack.

I think it's exasperated this time by the hoax farming pack leak where a certain sect of players got their dreams crushed, which I will fully admit (having been through similar myself) can be a pretty harsh feeling.

But it's still demonstrably factually wrong to say "no one wanted this", which people who didn't want this will say any time any pack is coming out ever.

I didn’t say no one wanted it. I said people voted for this theme for a stuff pack, but they may not have done for an expansion pack.

Considering that after laundry "won" the gameplay vote, people posts in the suggestions/ideas forums were all about how cool it would be to see the features that didn't make it in a game pack or expansion pack, I think that people would, in fact, have voted for it to be an expansion pack.

Yes but it was for a stuff pack that they wanted those features. Also laundry won and those features ended up losing, so people actually voted against them in the end.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    Although I like the idea of Eco Living, I'd rather not have it. It seems a little too extreme. I'd rather have a medieval type living (Windenburg doesn't count). I just really want to be able to live in a medieval type setting, with only candles, no phone, period-accurate clothing, and the like. YES, I know about Sims Medieval, but I want a sims 4 Medieval. Wouldn't that be awesome?

YEAH I'd love that actually!!

The fact that TS4 sims all have phones by default that they may even use autonomously is kinda accurate for the current time period, but not at all if you only go back even 20 years.

Not to mention the medieval times. And sometimes we may want to set a household or world in these ancient times, and find that Sims 4 doesn't really lend itself well to historical gameplay. So I do hope this pack also comes with some timeless off-the-grid type stuff that isn't too high-tech for this.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Also this pack was probably a dev's idea (which idk if when ppl say ea they mean maxis/the devs) but just like mfps was a dev's idea I believe. They wanted to try something.

And they probably looked at the voting and saw that ppl were interested in eco stuff and decided they would make an expansion. Which was probably something they knew was risky but there was probably a dev rooting for the idea (which makes me imagine how they feel). But like yeah that's what I'm thinking as I don't think ea says anything about pack themes or anything they just give the devs the budget when they pitch it.

And they were probably going off of the votes and ppl saying they wanted a bigger pack with this theme. I guess they could have made it into a sp but then it would have one gameplay object and a few items and if ppl wanted more it would be spread out among other packs which I can only see this theme with farming.

And correct me if I am wrong about anything as I am thinking this is what happened and I remember grant saying that mfps was their idea and they wanted to try something new.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Also this pack was probably a dev's idea (which idk if when ppl say ea they mean maxis/the devs) but just like mfps was a dev's idea I believe. They wanted to try something.

And they probably looked at the voting and saw that ppl were interested in eco stuff and decided they would make an expansion. Which was probably something they knew was risky but there was probably a dev rooting for the idea (which makes me imagine how they feel). But like yeah that's what I'm thinking as I don't think ea says anything about pack themes or anything they just give the devs the budget when they pitch it.

And they were probably going off of the votes and ppl saying they wanted a bigger pack with this theme. I guess they could have made it into a sp but then it would have one gameplay object and a few items and if ppl wanted more it would be spread out among other packs which I can only see this theme with farming.

And correct me if I am wrong about anything as I am thinking this is what happened and I remember grant saying that mfps was their idea and they wanted to try something new.

Yeah I could see that being true. I wish they’d stop trying to wow us with their ideas and just make a pack that gets a lot of requests. And before anyone says it- these eco items ultimately lost to laundry, so people did vote against them.
  • Options

Yeah I could see that being true. I wish they’d stop trying to wow us with their ideas and just make a pack that gets a lot of requests. And before anyone says it- these eco items ultimately lost to laundry, so people did vote against them.
    We don't know if the silent majority wants or doesn't want it either. I mean it wasn't until the Sims 4 I became active in the community and I have been playing since SimCity days with Maxis. We can only see how popular of a pack of is when it sells. Money speaks more than social media. MFPS I don't think sold well or as well as the other stuff packs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

We don't know if the silent majority wants or doesn't want it either. I mean it wasn't until the Sims 4 I became active in the community and I have been playing since SimCity days with Maxis. We can only see how popular of a pack of is when it sells. Money speaks more than social media. MFPS I don't think sold well or as well as the other stuff packs.

I’m sure some people wanted it, but given the comments on this forum, twitter and YouTube there’s a huge amount of unhappy people: I doubt that’s the outcome ea were hoping for. I see people saying that this is no different to previous packs but it definitely is, after uni was announced the vast majority were excited, same with rom, island living etc. There’s was some negativity but nothing compared to now.
  • Options
    ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I personally think that it will be wiser to "judge" this pack at least after the gameplay trailer. There's so much happening in a short clip. After all, each and every one of us have a different expectation, preference, & mind set.

TBH, I personally have gotten all the packs that I really want (Seasons + DU), but with all the other & new packs, it seems like an interesting addition for my Sims, after I read & play with the other packs. TBF, this new pack is quite interesting, especially the community gameplay. Most of the time, they only introduced individual gameplay instead of community gameplay. Let's give it a chance and see how this new type of gameplay could change our style or perhaps on how we want to view it, if this pack is what we want to have individually. It would be nice if we do not enforce our way of playing towards others. Let's be more accepting & be open minded. :)
    Yes and i have now learned that the community lots can be placed and voted for in other worlds as well... which would also be interesting... it would be really fun to have such a group project in my university world, maybe making both universities come together.... or in the city, like a little fresh oasis in the middle of the city... those are something i would enjoy a lot...
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I’m sure some people wanted it, but given the comments on this forum, twitter and YouTube there’s a huge amount of unhappy people: I doubt that’s the outcome ea were hoping for. I see people saying that this is no different to previous packs but it definitely is, after uni was announced the vast majority were excited, same with rom, island living etc. There’s was some negativity but nothing compared to now.
    YouTube has more upvotes though. There is Reddit too and the modding communities. So far I have noticed a lot of people on Twitch love it. Some just want to wait for sales because EPs go on sale quite often compared to GPs and SPs and have the highest percentage of sale with 50% compared to 30% because Sims 4 is the most expensive iteration yet with packs, since it has already doubled the Sims 3 in price not counting the store. I think people will get the most bang for their buck waiting for sales with all the packs.
  • Options

YouTube has more upvotes though. There is Reddit too and the modding communities. So far I have noticed a lot of people on Twitch love it. Some just want to wait for sales because EPs go on sale quite often compared to GPs and SPs and have the highest percentage of sale with 50% compared to 30% because Sims 4 is the most expensive iteration yet with packs, since it has already doubled the Sims 3 in price not counting the store.[/quote]

I buy all of mine on sale of the EP and GPs, many also wait till they can bundle the EPs... also look at how few actually vote in the surveys, and in the polls you have here on compared to how many are on twitter, youtube, twitch, IG and so on... i saw a poll here on about what people wanted you had 183 votes or something in total on a poll that ran for a month, that is a very very small sample... i saw many happy in the live stream when the trailer came out... i also saw a lot of happy ones on one of the reaction videos by a huge builder on Twitch, one who even the gurus checked in on... (that was where i learned we will also get things for rain water collecting, and the ladders can be used inside... )
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Exactly! I have only became vocal in the forum since last year but i play the game since day one of sims 1. All those years i have been a costumer as important as any other or as i am now that i'm here often. People talking or even interacting in social media are a minority of all people that buys and plays the game. Only sells will tell if it was a good choice.

The more a community grows the more backlash it gets, specially in social media. That's something that can be observed in any business, fanbase, overall in any sector of any kind. Whoever is in front of such big projects need to not be let down by social media response. It doesn't reflects the success of the project.
  • Options
    And i only just begun writing here, and I have been playing the sims since sims 1, and i played simcity and ironic enough Sim park as well as a child... i didnt even know there were surveys until recently... i never payed attention to them, i just played... my friends who i talk to about the game and who plays as well, didnt know about the surveys either, i had to link them to them as they hadnt seen them... and they play often and have played for years as well...
    One of my best friends used to play sims 2, and it inspired her career choice, she has since not played but this expansion is something she dig so much she is considering getting into the game again for that one alone...
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited May 2020

I don't see this as another Strangerville at all.

While Strangerville is one specific and kinda linear story set in the titular world, this one instead seems to be a world that happens to have possibilities that you may or may not decide to play out.

That's what the voting system is for, so as far as I understand, you may get to decide which parts you want to fix and which parts you'd rather keep.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »

I don't see this as another Strangerville at all.

While Strangerville is one specific and kinda linear story set in the titular world, this one instead seems to be a world that happens to have possibilities that you may or may not decide to play out.

That's what the voting system is for, so as far as I understand, you may get to decide which parts you want to fix and which parts you'd rather keep.

I would like to know more about how the voting system works, if I vote for a certain outcome, will it happen for sure or there is a chance that the rest of the community voted for something else? Also, what happens if I have different playable sims vote for different things during the same time period/voting session.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

@superkyle221 Thats why I have been saying for a long time now: they should let us vote for game packs and expansion packs like the community voted stuff packs. Its much more work, much more voting, but its NOT impossible to do. They can start now with one of each jsut to test the waters and see how thigns go and learn with it. When we work as a community to get a new pack, we feel so proud of having been part of this, we get so excited to play it... I doubt everyone would be bashing in this pack if we had voted to build it. If we already knew this was coming there would be no need for a "fake leak" to mislead the community as well.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2020

@superkyle221 Thats why I have been saying for a long time now: they should let us vote for game packs and expansion packs like the community voted stuff packs. Its much more work, much more voting, but its NOT impossible to do. They can start now with one of each jsut to test the waters and see how thigns go and learn with it. When we work as a community to get a new pack, we feel so proud of having been part of this, we get so excited to play it... I doubt everyone would be bashing in this pack if we had voted to build it. If we already knew this was coming there would be no need for a "fake leak" to mislead the community as well.

But do you think people would have voted for the general concept of Get Together? I don't. Yet I've seen so many people say it's a pack they can't imagine living without.

People who go to work in something like game design are creative people. If we non-creatives relied only on ourselves for ideas we'd never get anything very new. I work with creators as part of my job; one of the best things is when they come up with ideas and solutions that I never would have. I don't want all my clothes to look like they came from The Gap; I don't want all my games to have come from majority vote either.

Also, are you actually suggesting that EA was the source of the photoshop fake?? Seriously? Based on what evidence?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.