Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The world is changing. Do you think TS5 will reflect that?

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    gogojelly wrote: »
    I don't think TS5 would include the pandemic, im sure this game is escape for many. Why would anyone want to play in a world like that?

@crocobaura hmmm i was wondeirng what happened to the burglars!

ps. not sure about all the racism & sexism talk... but i think the styles have come a long way since the first game lol

Hi there @gogojelly , that is incorrect information. The burglars aren't there simply because the Devs haven't added them in. It has nothing to do with triggering people.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy Yeah, have to disagree here. It's great for people to add their own thing, but diversity (especially for such a diverse country) shouldn't have to be one of those things. I do think the devs care and have been making the effort and that's to be acknowledged, but we can't deny there's still work to do on that regard. I personally hate using mods and CC and I don't think the game should cater to me, but I do make notes on where I believe it could improve because I like playing it and spending money on it.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    j1z1 wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy Yeah, have to disagree here. It's great for people to add their own thing, but diversity (especially for such a diverse country) shouldn't have to be one of those things. I do think the devs care and have been making the effort and that's to be acknowledged, but we can't deny there's still work to do on that regard. I personally hate using mods and CC and I don't think the game should cater to me, but I do make notes on where I believe it could improve because I like playing it and spending money on it.

You're being vague. So what do you want specifically?

• Options
    edited May 2020
    adele_kat wrote: »
    There are a lot of games I like from Russian game studios such as the Metro series which is set in post apocalyptic Moscow.

Metro was created not by Russian but Ukrainian game studio!

4A_Games Wiki

*Shrug* Okay. But Metro is based on the Russian novel "Metro" by Dmitry Glukhovsky, which was set in Moscow. The Ukraine was also a part of the USSR. The game studio may be Ukrainian, but they know Russian culture and didn't try to inject their own Ukrainian culture into it.

• Options
    edited May 2020

I just mean, there's a difference between expecting the game to include, say, skin tones that actual people have and, say, a specific active career. (And it's still ok to suggest the latter be added, even if it's a random preference, even if you can mod it in.)
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    I'm ok with them reading it. I actually have been to San Francisco and bay area so I do respect where it is coming from. It is a lot more diverse than Simmers give it credit for and so are the Gurus. California is and I do have personal experience since being born there. So I rather have the game represent real America not the political leaders viewpoint.

I do agree about the Sims 3 being more stable now. I just don't understand how people complain about installing CC and mods onto the Sims 4 whenever there is a new DLC with content they don't like, yet in the same breath recommend others to do what they refuse to do? I do understand inclusion has been an issue with the Sims for years. I do think this pandemic will change it and we will be seeing more home school and work from home jobs and a need for more inclusion in the game especially since many of us can't travel during this pandemic.

Real America is a big place with several regions, each region being vastly different from each other. So with something like the American High School, I don't think the devs are thinking about the regional realities of high school, but more like what people see in the movies. I wasn't born in the US, but I grew up in New York City. I didn't have any of those experiences of high school that I saw in the movies AT ALL, lol!

With TS4, I just find it so inflexible. Really, the only people who have saved it are the modders. That's why I heavily endorse the use of mods for TS4, because otherwise, playing it is an exercise in frustration. All the things you have mentioned: home schooling, work from home jobs and inclusion are pretty much in TS3 already.

• Options
    gogojellygogojelly Posts: 24 Member
    > @PlayerSinger2010 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Hi there @gogojelly , that is incorrect information. The burglars aren't there simply because the Devs haven't added them in. It has nothing to do with triggering people.

@PlayerSinger2010 ahhh thanks for clearing that up!
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I just mean, there's a difference between expecting the game to include, say, skin tones that actual people have and, say, a specific active career. (And it's still ok to suggest the latter be added, even if it's a random preference, even if you can mod it in.)

Oh so you're talking about specific active careers? Well sure, you can ask and wait for it to be added to the game, why not?

Skin tones, I just don't think is a big deal. For example, I don't think The Sims series has ever had good Asian skin tones either or the right features, but I don't see them complaining about it. In TS3, they just quietly make their own skins and sliders for it. Those mods create a more accurate Asian sims for the different countries in Asia.

So I think modders are a lot better at adding more specific diversities then the devs. Not because the devs are closed minded - it's just that they have so many things divide their attention. Also, modders are more motivated about the things they make so their stuff is much better, less glitchy.

-=<*>=-

Also, how do you play TS4 without mods and CC? And I'm talking about playing it in live mode???

• Options

Oh so you're talking about specific active careers? Well sure, you can ask and wait for it to be added to the game, why not?

Also, how do you play TS4 without mods and CC? And I'm talking about playing it in live mode???

It was just a general example lol.

And I guess I... just do lol. It's too much of a hassle for me, even if my laptop could take them.
  • Options
    adele_katadele_kat Posts: 130 Member
    *Shrug* Okay. But Metro is based on the Russian novel "Metro" by Dmitry Glukhovsky, which was set in Moscow. The Ukraine was also a part of the USSR. The game studio may be Ukrainian, but they know Russian culture and didn't try to inject their own Ukrainian culture into it.

Yes, the Ukrainian Game Studio created the game based on a book by a Russian writer, but it does not make Ukrainian developers Russian.

Ukraine did not voluntarily join the USSR, it was occupied by the Russians.

Why would they inject Ukrainian culture into a game based on a Russian book?
    And they don't necessarily need to know about Russian culture to make a book-based game.

I just want to say that the comparison with the Russians can be very offensive.
    You don't know what it's like to live next to a crazy neighbor.

Peace!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020

Real America is a big place with several regions, each region being vastly different from each other. So with something like the American High School, I don't think the devs are thinking about the regional realities of high school, but more like what people see in the movies. I wasn't born in the US, but I grew up in New York City. I didn't have any of those experiences of high school that I saw in the movies AT ALL, lol!

With TS4, I just find it so inflexible. Really, the only people who have saved it are the modders. That's why I heavily endorse the use of mods for TS4, because otherwise, playing it is an exercise in frustration. All the things you have mentioned: home schooling, work from home jobs and inclusion are pretty much in TS3 already.

So another pack to show how much the Sims 4 is a movie rather than a life simulation game got it. I agree the modders have saved the game somewhat but as amazing as they are they shouldn't have to keep fixing the Sims games. It is an odd pattern happening. True the Sims 3 was pretty inclusive with school and what I liked about it. They daycare was super fun too. I love New York City. Very diverse and the food there is amazing. I didn't have those high school experiences either so yes would like a school system a bit like the Go to School mod but option to customize the school events like Sims 4 Seasons. LOL

But yes growing up in California now and now living in a different state I notice some cities are more diverse than others. My sister had her car keyed when we moved. My nephew who is half hispanic has been heavily bullied in school because of having a different skin tone. The pandemic has been a blessing for him being homeschooled now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited May 2020
    I dont think theres anything wrong with an American game having American references and stereotypes in it (american high school). Im happy the game branched out and appeal to so many people but its impossible for the game to have no bias and only reasonable its Americanized, especially since mainly Americans are their customers. Even with that theres so many introductions of different worlds, cultures etc in the game series, it tries to be inclusive to everyone.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    gogojelly wrote: »
    I don't think TS5 would include the pandemic, im sure this game is escape for many. Why would anyone want to play in a world like that?

@crocobaura hmmm i was wondeirng what happened to the burglars!

ps. not sure about all the racism & sexism talk... but i think the styles have come a long way since the first game lol

Hi there @gogojelly , that is incorrect information. The burglars aren't there simply because the Devs haven't added them in. It has nothing to do with triggering people.

You can make burglars with the Kleptomaniac trait. EA didn't make the traditional burglar NPC because they can't add cars and the police can't show up in the middle of the night to make an arrest.
  • Options

Yes, the Ukrainian Game Studio created the game based on a book by a Russian writer, but it does not make Ukrainian developers Russian.

And they don't necessarily need to know about Russian culture to make a book-based game.

Peace!

Ah all right. I grew up in New York City and did see some tension among my friends from different Slavic countries that I never really understood. I only know a surface amount about what happened with Russia and its "satellite" countries. I did know the Ukraine and several other countries were taken by force and that those countries didn't like it. I just didn't know the depth of dislike or hate for Russia by the satellite countries.

I know people from both "sides" that I think are really nice, so I want to stay neutral.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Peace!
    I have been keeping up with the news happening over there and been making me sad. One of my favorite old coworkers is Russian and she left her beliefs and stopped wearing a head covering. Actually one of the reasons I joined forums because I knew the world was changing in 2014. But yes my best friend and I mentioned earlier bonded over it. Hang in there with everything. Know that you are loved in the Sims community.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    This is our reality now.

It might be your reality now, but it won't be mine for much longer. Heck we're not currently allowed to have gatherings of more than two people in my state, but others are easing back to 10. We've got one state that's had no new cases in close to a month, and mine has reached 12 days without any new cases. My entire country has the potential to be free of the virus in a few months.

That said, the world as we know it is changing, society will be changing too. A new normal is forming.
    It happened with the Black Death, and it will happen with this pandemic. Where exactly it will be in 5 or 20 years time is still up for debate. But I doubt we will still be doing things exactly as we are now.

The futurists are the ones to be paying attention to.

I quite like the idea that we could be returning to a village setting of sorts. Given the massive increase in the popularity veggie gardening, baking, and cycling... and learning instruments, the village setting is quite plausible.

I heard about a factory in the US that produces PPE, where the workers remained onsite, stayed onsite, for 28 days, to avoid the risk of catching the virus. And that leads to another branch of the village structure. A major industry, having it's own village to support it.

TS5 might be done as a longing for the old way of life, it might be as a completely fantasy way of life, or it might reflect the new normal in a couple of years.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have never seen racism in The Sims Franchise. That would mean the content the developers create is catered to one group of race. I'm sort of atonished someone can say makeup in a game is racist. I don't believe the devs are racists, nor ignore one skin color over another. I'm sort of taken aback by the thought a black person wouldn't also wear a dress or pants in the game because it wouldn't be their style....or colors of fabrics they like and or the makeup they prefer.....I don't know that seems rather, I don't know not sure I want to say what that sounds like...
    Do devs ignore requests for elder Sims to get more content, yes, sometimes, do they ignore teens get more content and shrunk down to what we had in the past, yes, but to say the developers cater to white players is off the wall.
    But you did support hatred towards Muslims when the hijab came out which highly supported the Klan beliefs and put your personal feelings of it because of what happened with 9/11. So no Gurus aren't and I support them being inclusive with these patches, but yes thank you for supporting that it is a huge problem within the Sims community. The irony of being called racist for not supporting a well known terrorist group in history. One of my best friends is LGBTQIA+ and Muslim, so yes I did read your negative comments towards both. The world is changing and Sims franchise can either remain in the dark ages or change with it. The world isn't going to be "normal". It hasn't been for a long time.

Also here are the origins of the hijab for you in connection to your other beliefs: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/uncovering-the-hijab_b_4645306

How dare you say that to me Scobre. That is just a lie. You have broken the forum rules by casting aspersions about me.

I support women who want to remove the scarf. Period.

I don't know what's going on with you, but this time I'm not going to be called names like these anymore. And yes, saying clothes and makeup in the game caters to 'white Sims' is placing all people of color in some sort of stereotype idea in your head. That is racists within it's own thought. And since it is developers who build that content then aspersions against them.

And as far as makeup in these games not looking so good on some skin tones, have they ever? No, and not just on Sims of color but 'white' Sims too. Some lipsticks look horrible on some Sims' mouths. But it's not the skintone but the lip shape. I assume not many saying this stuff spent much time in bodyshop in TS2 and found not all lips can look nice with Maxis makeup. It's why we invented custom content.
    Maxis pink lipstick in all the games looks horrible on all lips and skintones in all the games. It's not the skintone but the lip shape they use to create that lipstick. No offense to Maxis but all their makeup has always looked horrible on all SIms in all the games on almost all skintones. It's why so many download better makeup by better creators of highpoly content.

And I stand by what I said, the game doesn't cater to white Sims by the clothes they offer in game... It's almost to the point now some would think all Japanese females should be dressed like subserviant Giesha girls in TS4. (for the sake of diversity).
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think It might be be best to do what I did and place certain simmer on ignore as they are just projecting their own biases onto the game, doubling down on pulling facts out of thin air (despite being proven by several simmers in this thread that certain claims & accusations about the game was false) and lashing out and belittling anyone who does not agree with them.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I have never seen racism in The Sims Franchise. That would mean the content the developers create is catered to one group of race. I'm sort of atonished someone can say makeup in a game is racist. I don't believe the devs are racists, nor ignore one skin color over another. I'm sort of taken aback by the thought a black person wouldn't also wear a dress or pants in the game because it wouldn't be their style....or colors of fabrics they like and or the makeup they prefer.....I don't know that seems rather, I don't know not sure I want to say what that sounds like...
    Do devs ignore requests for elder Sims to get more content, yes, sometimes, do they ignore teens get more content and shrunk down to what we had in the past, yes, but to say the developers cater to white players is off the wall.
    But you did support hatred towards Muslims when the hijab came out which highly supported the Klan beliefs and put your personal feelings of it because of what happened with 9/11. So no Gurus aren't and I support them being inclusive with these patches, but yes thank you for supporting that it is a huge problem within the Sims community. The irony of being called racist for not supporting a well known terrorist group in history. One of my best friends is LGBTQIA+ and Muslim, so yes I did read your negative comments towards both. The world is changing and Sims franchise can either remain in the dark ages or change with it. The world isn't going to be "normal". It hasn't been for a long time.

Also here are the origins of the hijab for you in connection to your other beliefs: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/uncovering-the-hijab_b_4645306

How dare you say that to me Scobre. That is just a lie. You have broken the forum rules by casting aspersions about me.

I support women who want to remove the scarf. Period.

I don't know what's going on with you, but this time I'm not going to be called names like these anymore. And yes, saying clothes and makeup in the game caters to 'white Sims' is placing all people of color in some sort of stereotype idea in your head. That is racists within it's own thought. And since it is developers who build that content then aspersions against them.

And as far as makeup in these games not looking so good on some skin tones, have they ever? No, and not just on Sims of color but 'white' Sims too. Some lipsticks look horrible on some Sims' mouths. But it's not the skintone but the lip shape. I assume not many saying this stuff spent much time in bodyshop in TS2 and found not all lips can look nice with Maxis makeup. It's why we invented custom content.
    Maxis pink lipstick in all the games looks horrible on all lips and skintones in all the games. It's not the skintone but the lip shape they use to create that lipstick. No offense to Maxis but all their makeup has always looked horrible on all SIms in all the games on almost all skintones. It's why so many download better makeup by better creators of highpoly content.

And I stand by what I said, the game doesn't cater to white Sims by the clothes they offer in game... It's almost to the point now some would think all Japanese females should be dressed like subserviant Giesha girls in TS4. (for the sake of diversity).
    We had discussions about it together here. So is it now ok for a male/female/non-binary Sims to wear pants or a skirts then? Or for any gender Sim to wear head coverings too?
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/965981/separate-pack-for-religious-content/p2

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/971741/ts4-gender-patch-and-the-sims-5/p1I

I don't think that. Some women and men and non-binary do not want to remove the head covering too and they also have a choice and yes the origin of our beliefs also wore the head covering with Jesus' mother shown on multiple works of art displayed in places of worship. With this pandemic the world has changed and people all around the world are wearing head coverings and covering their faces to combat it. True about the makeup being bad in other Sims games too. But it is like why don't we change it as the world is changing? Sims should inspire change and inclusion of all our players and Gurus.

With the Sims 4 DLC, a lot of the fashion is either peppy or hipster. It was only when we started getting Island Living and Jungle Adventures and Get Together did Simmers finally get to travel to other parts of the world outside the world the studio was made. So yes I do think this pandemic will change the franchise because while we are all in our homes it would help the community and developers to be able to travel to outside their environments through games. Having feedback about color swatches lacking in the game isn't a reflection on the Gurus. Gurus have said the same thing about the game lacking their hair color choices and styles so yes even they see a need for representation in the game. They cheer with the live streams when they see they can be represented in the game finally. Like how we suggested toddlers being added to the game isn't either or wanting things for elders. I think it is great Gurus are reaching out to Simmers about wanting to tell their stories. I think if you want to be represented in the franchise too with things we have discussed earlier about you wanting to be represented in the game too, take it. The window for development of each Sims product only last so long.

City Living Pack does have geek con, so some Sims do dress up in different outfits. So yes I have seen people's pictures including Simmers dress up as their favorite anime characters including geisha outfits at comic cons. So yes where the studio that makes the Sims is very diverse and it is nice to see some of their cultures included like how SimGuruRusski inspired Jungle Adventures. How SimGuruMeatball inspired Get Together.

I do really love this topic and a comment pointed out in it.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/965613/theyre-never-going-to-add-full-actual-religion-into-the-game-and-thats-okay-but-what-if-they-did/p1
    "To be fair we could tell the same thing about LGBT and multi ethnic.

The problem isn't the topic, it's what people do with it.
    Everything is a source of hate when people have not an open mind and refuse to accept the differences of the other persons.

Exclude people has never solved anything , just it causes more pain.

Muslim, black, white, gay, lesbian, alien, vampire, politician, criminal, ... The Sims is a game where everybody live happy together."
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm 24 years old, and I've been playing since Sims 1. All iterations have changed with the world, so... of course Sims 5 will reflect the world how it is when it's released. We don't have newspaper/landlines like we had in SIms 1/2/3 cuz most people "don't use it"...
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I'm sorry but real America? I'm saying this is African American. America is a big place. Some places are more diverse than others. Some have areas in Amerca has mostly white people.The places have different ways of doing things.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm sorry but real America? I'm saying this is African American. America is a big place. Some places are more diverse than others. Some have areas in Amerca has mostly white people.The places have different ways of doing things.
    Yes it is a very diverse country and the bay area is one of the most diverse areas in America, so yes I was replying to about the assumption that Gurus live in a place that isn't diverse. As someone who grew up in California and visited the bay area, it is very diverse there.
    https://datausa.io/profile/geo/san-francisco-ca/
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Yes it is a very diverse country and the bay area is one of the most diverse areas in America, so yes I was replying to about the assumption that Gurus live in a place that isn't diverse. As someone who grew up in California and visited the bay area, it is very diverse there.

Yes but there people who don't live diverse areas.Thry are place where the mostly white people.Some areas that are mostly minorities.I live in area in the midwest.Most people I see around here are white or black.I did see a few Asains,and few Mexican.Not as I see white, or black people
  • Options
    SimmerQuinnSimmerQuinn Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Karon said:
    > I'm 24 years old, and I've been playing since Sims 1. All iterations have changed with the world, so... of course Sims 5 will reflect the world how it is when it's released. We don't have newspaper/landlines like we had in SIms 1/2/3 cuz most people "don't use it"...

I think thats completely fair. I doubt it'll represent a pandemic world like some speculate, but I can see things being added to represent this time. Like a way to quarantine when sick and post a bunch of video content (aka tiktoks) :smiley:
  • Options
    > @Karon said:
    > I'm 24 years old, and I've been playing since Sims 1. All iterations have changed with the world, so... of course Sims 5 will reflect the world how it is when it's released. We don't have newspaper/landlines like we had in SIms 1/2/3 cuz most people "don't use it"...

I think thats completely fair. I doubt it'll represent a pandemic world like some speculate, but I can see things being added to represent this time. Like a way to quarantine when sick and post a bunch of video content (aka tiktoks) :smiley:

I think the same. Maybe the influencer careers will even vanish if they end up vanishing in the real world too after the pandemic like it seems it might. But yeah, it will be subtle things like that after we figure out how the world is going to move forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top