March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Separate pack for RELIGIOUS content.

2...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    mordarlar wrote: »
    I love that we now have a sims game that looks more like real life. As everyone knows, the Sims world is highly customizable. Options in a world like that are always a very good thing IMHO and any desire for restrictions would only serve to limit the game play options of the vast majority. I respect and admire EA's decisions in this regard.

I'm going to have to disgree, all Sims have a phone, many cultures don't. All Sims have the same wants and desires, many other cultures don't. I'm sorry dressup isn't the same as making a diverse game for many different diverse people. No newspaper only screams hey, that culture doesn't exist to Maxis anymore, when it does. Not all countries or cultures worship the computer and phone, and it doesn't seem to play out as diverse as they would like to pretend. All views of Maxis (no kid games together, phones for everyone, no newspapers, jobs that revolve around a pc etc.) seems more the likely than not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2019
    Scobre wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    I can understand where people are coming from - it did seem bizarre that they would simply drop a patch with items they themselves are referring to with religious names when, historically, religion has been an off-limits area. I think they could have found a better way to introduce the content.

HOWEVER, it's happened now and they aren't going to go back and change it. Absolutely make (respectful) threads stating your opinion on how you wasn't a fan of how this content was rolled-out and how you would like future updates to be handled. But I can't see how fixating on this and not updating your game because of it is constructive or enjoyable for you. I have offered to help people several times with either disabling content so that it doesn't spawn on random Sims, or disabling it from your game completely. So the option is there for you.

I personally would have preferred for this content to be optional, just as I would have preferred for the transgender update to be optional. But I'm happy to see that lots of people got enjoyment from these updates, and I can easily play my game however I want and with (and without) the content that I choose.

Looking back, others have pointed out that there was a Menorah in Seasons and a Dastār in City Living, so this wasn't completely unprecedented. And now that the flood gates have been opened, I actually hope for more content that straddles the cultural/religious divide. Others have mentioned priest or nun like clothing, I'd also like Buddhist monk robes and Jewish Kippahs, a Sikh head-dress (I'm sorry I couldn't find the right name!) for women, a cross necklace and some stained-glass windows.

I think I may be a bit of a contradiction. lol I don't mind if they add religious gameplay or clothes or whatever, my problem is the fact they have changed the purpose of the game into some sort of quest to represent multicultural and views. I just want a Sims' game without all these overtones. I remember with great fondness playing The Sims in 2000 and no one was saying they needed representation nor feeling left out. We were all just amazed by the crazy, whacky, bizarre behaviours of The Sims and how hard it was to keep one alive, lol, and that was the challenge of trying to take care of a pixel that was screaming at us how miserable they were. And a head that represented to us, no, this isn't real, and you shouldn't think this is real while we sat and turned it with our mouse around and around to laugh at it floating in the air in the space of the screen. Good times, now days, I don't see good times but arguments of who is more important to add over others and become some sort of rescue of a bad childhood memory (video ad) and safespace where dissent is deleted. I'm not getting a Sim vibe and haven't in several years. ETA: And there were more types of different heads/races and ethicnic heads in TS1 than in this game but more people feel miserable in this game if they aren't represented. I think the player has become Maxis' social experiment.
    Oh they had religious things back in Sims days too. It isn't a new thing. The Christmas tree was in Livin' Large and it would summon Santa Claus. So if anything inclusion was more welcomed back then than it is now. Isn't part of being a family player being inclusive towards all families including Muslim ones? With how sick guys can be these days with everything going on with the news I don't mind husbands wanting to protect their wives but I don't want to go into the details of that because of rules. Women deserve the right for modesty even if fashion varies by country.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Christmas_tree
    Those two items actually have nothing to do with religion so that's a wrong example. The tree is pagan, the Claus was invented by Coca Cola. And I indeed think you'd better avoid some subjects. Not only because of rules but also because I don't think you're a woman? I'd appreciate you keep opinions about what we deserve or not deserve to us, women (as in: this is a very sensitive and very delicate matter, women get arrested over not wanting this fashion in some parts of the world and men don't have any 'right' to protect women on their terms).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2019
    I can understand where people are coming from - it did seem bizarre that they would simply drop a patch with items they themselves are referring to with religious names when, historically, religion has been an off-limits area. I think they could have found a better way to introduce the content.

HOWEVER, it's happened now and they aren't going to go back and change it. Absolutely make (respectful) threads stating your opinion on how you wasn't a fan of how this content was rolled-out and how you would like future updates to be handled. But I can't see how fixating on this and not updating your game because of it is constructive or enjoyable for you. I have offered to help people several times with either disabling content so that it doesn't spawn on random Sims, or disabling it from your game completely. So the option is there for you.

Looking back, others have pointed out that there was a Menorah in Seasons and a Dastār in City Living, so this wasn't completely unprecedented. And now that the flood gates have been opened, I actually hope for more content that straddles the cultural/religious divide. Others have mentioned priest or nun like clothing, I'd also like Buddhist monk robes and Jewish Kippahs, a Sikh head-dress (I'm sorry I couldn't find the right name!) for women, a cross necklace and some stained-glass windows.

I think I may be a bit of a contradiction. lol I don't mind if they add religious gameplay or clothes or whatever, my problem is the fact they have changed the purpose of the game into some sort of quest to represent multicultural and views. I just want a Sims' game without all these overtones. I remember with great fondness playing The Sims in 2000 and no one was saying they needed representation nor feeling left out. We were all just amazed by the crazy, whacky, bizarre behaviours of The Sims and how hard it was to keep one alive, lol, and that was the challenge of trying to take care of a pixel that was screaming at us how miserable they were. And a head that represented to us, no, this isn't real, and you shouldn't think this is real while we sat and turned it with our mouse around and around to laugh at it floating in the air in the space of the screen. Good times, now days, I don't see good times but arguments of who is more important to add over others and become some sort of rescue of a bad childhood memory (video ad) and safespace where dissent is deleted. I'm not getting a Sim vibe and haven't in several years. ETA: And there were more types of different heads/races and ethicnic heads in TS1 than in this game but more people feel miserable in this game if they aren't represented. I think the player has become Maxis' social experiment.
    Oh they had religious things back in Sims days too. It isn't a new thing. The Christmas tree was in Livin' Large and it would summon Santa Claus. So if anything inclusion was more welcomed back then than it is now. Isn't part of being a family player being inclusive towards all families including Muslim ones? With how sick guys can be these days with everything going on with the news I don't mind husbands wanting to protect their wives but I don't want to go into the details of that because of rules. Women deserve the right for modesty even if fashion varies by country.

I really don't know how many ways to make it clear a tree is not part of the Christian religion. It's secular but a cross necklace would be more of a representation than a tree anyone can use. Santa is not part of the christian faith nor an Easter bunny those are secular things. Sunrise Easter service is more of a representation. Things included in packs are bought not patched into everyone's game. And any holiday pack has never called the tree a Christmas tree in the descriptions or name of object. All other religious (major) have their objects called by a religious title. Such as Muslim Inspired. Muslim means to follow Mohammed, it does not represent a race, people or country but a faith. By the same token I will say again I wait to see if they use the description by calling something Christian Inspired, Budist Inspired, Satanist Inspired, Hindu Inspired,Judaism Inspired, etc.
    The origins of the cross go back to paganism too do they not just like the Christmas tree and comes from the Greek word tau? I remember learning about the Egyptian cross in school. My grandmother would teach about Roman and Egypt and put on the history channel for me to grow with and watch.
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-history-of-the-christian-cross.html

Realms of Magic has its own version of the pentagram which is also a religious symbol.

Also what sect of Christianity should be represented? Should it be just one or include the ones that wear head coverings today too all over the world?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • pegasusventricepegasusventrice Posts: 56 Member
    I think it was mislabeled when they said Muslim inspired. I would have gone with Arab inspired. If we start creating separate packs for the content some people don't want all of Sims would be little free packs. We'd have to have an African inspired pack, Asian inspired pack, European inspired pack, Hispanic inspired pack, etc and that just isn't how the world is so that's not how Sims should be represented either.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    They already said it will not appear on random townies so it won't affect your game in any way.

I hate the eyeball ring with a passion and I'm not going to ask for it to be in a separate pack...

That is incorrect. I have already had to go in and fix the random townies so it does affect people's game.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing

I really don't know how many ways to make it clear a tree is not part of the Christian religion. It's secular but a cross necklace would be more of a representation than a tree anyone can use. Santa is not part of the christian faith nor an Easter bunny those are secular things. Sunrise Easter service is more of a representation. Things included in packs are bought not patched into everyone's game. And any holiday pack has never called the tree a Christmas tree in the descriptions or name of object. All other religious (major) have their objects called by a religious title. Such as Muslim Inspired. Muslim means to follow Mohammed, it does not represent a race, people or country but a faith. By the same token I will say again I wait to see if they use the description by calling something Christian Inspired, Budist Inspired, Satanist Inspired, Hindu Inspired,Judaism Inspired, etc.
    The origins of the cross go back to paganism too do they not just like the Christmas tree and comes from the Greek word tau? I remember learning about the Egyptian cross in school. My grandmother would teach about Roman and Egypt and put on the history channel for me to grow with and watch.
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-history-of-the-christian-cross.html

Realms of Magic has its own version of the pentagram which is also a religious symbol.

Also what sect of Christianity should be represented? Should it be just one or include the ones that wear head coverings today too all over the world?

I think you have missed my point. If you are going to call a clothing a religiously inspired content you have to do it for more than one or it just looks like favortism and elusions to others who may have religous clothing in their faiths. I would prefer the free content team spend their time on actual gameplay objects and features For All, rather than selective inclusion. Because when you become selective you sort of defeat what you preach and only look less tolerant to others than what you were trying to do. And in my opinion, after this past year, I think Maxis should just go back to building games and move away from trying to make us all better people.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I think things are getting heated in here. Perhaps everyone should take a breather.
    I think things are getting heated in here. Perhaps everyone should take a breather.

I'm not heated, I'm opinionated.. but Maxis is free to add whatever they want, and I do respect others who want particularly gameplay or articles but I would prefer all free content not to be included in bug patches. I didn't want a white shelf recolor, nor 90% of any of the free content sometimes, so, hopefully they think about free content in separate patches. I hope so. :)
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    They already said it will not appear on random townies so it won't affect your game in any way.

I hate the eyeball ring with a passion and I'm not going to ask for it to be in a separate pack...

That is incorrect. I have already had to go in and fix the random townies so it does affect people's game.

If you're going to lie, at least tell one that is not EASILY disproven. I just opened up the file for the hijab in particular and it is, wait for it, NOT ENABLED FOR RANDOM. Therefore it will NOT just appear on random townies. For that to happen one would have to deliberately open up the file and change it to "allow for random". But thanks for playing.

By the way, I made a personal override for that stupid eyeball ring, disabling it for random. And guess what? Can you guess? It doesn't show up on random townies either. Nor do the Island Living earrings that I made an override for because they were showing up on everybody.

TLDR; the hijab is not enabled for random and, therefore does not show up on random sims.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited September 2019

If that's true then you have some outdated mods that are interfering with your game.
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    I want it all! I want full diversity in religion, gender, occult, you can put in a super genius rabbit God with a handle bar mustache, and I will fit it in my game. I like my Sims like my planet, colorful and diverse.
    edited September 2019
    I think you have missed my point. If you are going to call a clothing a religiously inspired content you have to do it for more than one or it just looks like favortism and elusions to others who may have religous clothing in their faiths. I would prefer the free content team spend their time on actual gameplay objects and features For All, rather than selective inclusion. Because when you become selective you sort of defeat what you preach and only look less tolerant to others than what you were trying to do. And in my opinion, after this past year, I think Maxis should just go back to building games and move away from trying to make us all better people.
    That's the point is for all including things you may not like. We know from the past five years it is impossible to make every content that everyone is going to like. I am just sharing the origins of things like people have been with the Muslim content and calling what my Grandma taught as intolerant is a bit low and hypocritical since she was a teacher of both Roman and Egyptian Goddesses and a Christian and given the history of Christianity in Rome it is only natural that they adapted practices from other cultures through marriages. I mean even wedding stuff is tied to paganism, so it is a type of thing that is hard to escape in every aspect of our lives so I understand that. So if there is a religious content pack, I do think it is important they have experts of historical fact and original source literature when determining what to put into the pack or not. Honestly I think the cross should be put into the holiday pack with the Christmas trees. If you want the hijab in there too, I'm fine with that. We don't need another pack for it. We can put it into the holiday pack.

I was raised with the golden rule that Jesus taught to treat others like we would like to be treated and to love our neighbors like ourselves. If that is intolerant well sorry you disagree with Bible principles. So yes I do practice what I preach and treat every person with kindness just like Jesus did. I do respect you like the cross, but given the historical facts now you know why I don't given it was a piece of jewelry worn prior to Christ and Christianity. So yes even in Christianity it is impossible to cater towards all Simmers because some wear crosses, some don't, some wear head wear.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    Well Get Together is mainly about clubs (including a lot of nightclubs which isn't the most religious friendly places) and friends, it was never meant to be religious nor do I think it has even any religious items. There isn't an option for a bible club. There are no crosses or chapel veils or anything of the sort, much less churches, priests and nuns, etc...the pack itself is as far from religion you can get. The style is based off the old European towns; but that isn't religious. The clothing, definitely not. They are more modern/stylish and not something that would be appropriate to wear to any religion meetings.

The closet pack that has any religious items is Seasons and most of those items are holiday based and many holidays are being seen as more and more secular or cultural where everyone just celebrates it.

Edit-quoted the wrong post but the point overall still stands.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member

The problem is, it still did. Well one of the outfits did so far at least; which means other things still can. Also the eyeball is not religious, so it isn't an serious issue to a lot of people. Hardly a good example.
    XxAirixX wrote: »

The problem is, it still did. Well one of the outfits did so far at least; which means other things still can. Also the eyeball is not religious, so it isn't an serious issue to a lot of people. Hardly a good example.
    Yeah townie thing really needs fixing because pack or not, there needs to be a filtering tool for it. I strongly support something like this. There are some stories I would even like a supernatural filter tool too like Sims 3 had.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »

If you're going to lie, at least tell one that is not EASILY disproven. I just opened up the file for the hijab in particular and it is, wait for it, NOT ENABLED FOR RANDOM. Therefore it will NOT just appear on random townies. For that to happen one would have to deliberately open up the file and change it to "allow for random". But thanks for playing.

By the way, I made a personal override for that stupid eyeball ring, disabling it for random. And guess what? Can you guess? It doesn't show up on random townies either. Nor do the Island Living earrings that I made an override for because they were showing up on everybody.

TLDR; the hijab is not enabled for random and, therefore does not show up on random sims.

Is the hijab marked as Situational? If so, that could be why NPCs have shown up wearing that item? Situational outfits are badly messed up.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    I think it was mislabeled when they said Muslim inspired. I would have gone with Arab inspired. If we start creating separate packs for the content some people don't want all of Sims would be little free packs. We'd have to have an African inspired pack, Asian inspired pack, European inspired pack, Hispanic inspired pack, etc and that just isn't how the world is so that's not how Sims should be represented either.

The hijab has absolutely nothing to do with race or creed or Arabic language. It's a symbol of a particular faith and they named it correctly. However as long as little girls are still arrested and stoned or harmed even worse, (for removing it) I can't support it, but others are free to enjoy it.

Little Muslim girls play this game as a happy escape too and this move by EA allows them to feel seen and represented. How about we just let them have that.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Yes. Please include an inverted cross with said religious content pack so that my sims can also worship our dark lord Satan.

I'd prefer my sims to worship the shiny lord Satin.

Lquinn wrote: »
    I want it all! I want full diversity in religion, gender, occult,
    I grew up with occult meaning the study of the unknown.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks, this has become another discussion on the definition of religious item and is fluctuating between heated and off topic so at this point I'm closing the thread off. For the most part I want to thank everyone for keeping this civil however I think it's best the thread is closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top