Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like to have grocery stores in TS4 ?

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
edited March 2020 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Would you like to have a grocery store lot where your sims would go grocery shopping, could work at, or own ?

Would you like to have grocery stores in TS4 ? 161 votes

Yes!!
83%
crocobauraCK213GoldmoldarLeGardePourpreIdontrcallredrogue60Jasebandit5alan650111CamkatdanacnbretttanakakiSimburiankeekee53asimbsimWillowG145GoldenBuffyirishdragon7CynnaAnmirla 135 votes
No thanks.
7%
PlayerSinger2010TheSpotted_CBeardedgeekQueenMercyEnkiSchmidtNeiaHuiiie_07Evie0602DuskregnNushnushganayButteredToastcheesedizzy 12 votes
Other
8%
lisamwittBagoas77alanmichael1Kniga_SitaraChampandGirlieChadSims2MasonGamerSimsLovinLycanddd994SERVERFRAAngeliqueAdelaideAndyzhang2896DaWaterRatKimmer 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Yes!!

pubabMY.jpg

(Imagine that this was in TS2!!)

It’s something I’ve been wanting since I’ve been playing TS4. A supermarket/grocery store lot, similar to retail stores, where my sims could go grocery shopping like regular people (rater than have everything appear In the fridge), where sims could work, or that you could own.

I might be the only one, but I liked going to the Grocery Store In TS3 (even though it was a rabbit hole).

So I’d like to have one in TS4 too.
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • Options
    candybootcandyboot Posts: 129 Member
    Yes!!
    Yes!!
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Yes!!
    1000000% yes. This is one of features I want more than anything else. It's mind boggling that we still don't have grocery stores in a 6 year old LIFE SIMULATOR.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No thanks.
    Really? More boring pointless chores?
    Absolutely NOT. I still remember hating you had to go to a store and BUY your new outfits in Sims 2.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yes!!
    Absolutely NOT. I still remember hating you had to go to a store and BUY your new outfits in Sims 2.

Everything not handed to you and having to play the game? Oh, the horror.

I’d love grocery stores and having to buy clothes from TS2 in the next game. It’s a life simulator, give me more objectives and goals to work for aside from pointless aspirations and rewards which only simplify an already too easy game.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Other
    Only if I could still "order in" on a per meal basis.

The only reason I go to the store in person IRL is because I like control over what produce and meats I get and I know what I can do without and what I must find a substitute for - and what substitutes work for whatever I'm planning. It's a level of nuance I don't need in a game where 24 hours in game takes 30 minutes in reality.

I have so many other things I want my sims to be doing - skilling up, collecting, writing books, harvesting the garden, etc - and stories I want to tell (I don't need "difficulty" to make the game fun) that having to put that on hold to send someone to the grocery store ... no thanks. Maybe if it didn't put the whole plum household on pause for actually getting stuff done when I left the lot, it might be interesting on occasion.

They did introduce the produce kiosk in City Living, so there's some precedent for it. And I wouldn't mind if they had something similar for meats, dairy, breads and such, and the overall cost was less than if you just paid for ingredients as you do now.

I wouldn't mind if they added a Grocery store.

I just don't want it to be mandatory.
  • Options
    No thanks.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I’d love grocery stores and having to buy clothes from TS2 in the next game. It’s a life simulator, give me more objectives and goals to work for aside from pointless aspirations and rewards which only simplify an already too easy game.

You got me all wrong. I hate how extremely easy Sims 4 is compared to older titles. That said, I don't see the connection you try to make.

Quite frankly I find playing a game that is just like reality absolutely pointless. After all, I am alive. I know what being alive is like, I don't have to simulate it.
    What I WANT is to be able to do the things I CANNOT do in real life. Which is why I love Island Living, I guess. Actually spending my days living on the beach, in a climate without any of that utter horror I experience every winter, namely winter. Actually making enough money as a freelancer to only have to work two days a week and spend the rest sunbathing, diving looking at turtles, or well wear as little clothes as possible everywhere. Or having enough motivation to actually get a six pack and go to the gym four days a week.

Going to the grocery store ads absolutely zero to my gaming experience, just like laundry (or knitting) ads zero to my gaming experience. I get the same enjoyment from doing laundry in Sims 4 as I do from pausing the game and do laundry IRL. But at least I can fast forward past it, I guess.

Instead, give me some actual goals and motivations with challenges. Remove the reward store, or at least remove all "cheats" (the mermaid kelp, the potions, the total immunity to needs). Make it almost impossible to reach more than one aspiration per lifetime and only make it possible to change the aspiration when you age up so picking the correct one will be important. Make me CARE about skilling up, and not just see it as something I fast-forward thru to reach my next 100 rewards points in my latest Aspiration (of what I will have completed about 6 aspirations at death, having 30 000 reward points and earning 12 000 Simolions a day. As I said, Sims 4 has 0% challenge for anything).
  • Options
    No thanks.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Only if I could still "order in" on a per meal basis.

The only reason I go to the store in person IRL is because I like control over what produce and meats I get and I know what I can do without and what I must find a substitute for - and what substitutes work for whatever I'm planning. It's a level of nuance I don't need in a game where 24 hours in game takes 30 minutes in reality.

I have so many other things I want my sims to be doing - skilling up, collecting, writing books, harvesting the garden, etc - and stories I want to tell (I don't need "difficulty" to make the game fun) that having to put that on hold to send someone to the grocery store ... no thanks. Maybe if it didn't put the whole plum household on pause for actually getting stuff done when I left the lot, it might be interesting on occasion.

They did introduce the produce kiosk in City Living, so there's some precedent for it. And I wouldn't mind if they had something similar for meats, dairy, breads and such, and the overall cost was less than if you just paid for ingredients as you do now.

I wouldn't mind if they added a Grocery store.

I just don't want it to be mandatory.

Exactly.
    As I mentioned in another thread, I find myself stuck in between the two major blocks of Simmers:

The "We want everything Supernatural and as unrealistic as possible" gang
    The "add ALL the pointless chores I hate IRL but love to do digitally" gang

I don't fit either, at all, and it is also telling because the expansions I LOVE everyone else seems to hate, and the other way around.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Yes!!
    I could see giving different options: automated (current model), online delivery, and grocery stores.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Yes!!
    I would love to be able to shop for groceries.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    One of the first retail establishments I built when we got Get To Work was a grocery store. I had cc shopping carts and cc items for shelves and I made all the aisles with all the things on the shelves (which took forever btw!) and it was a pretty cool looking grocery! But the Sims 4 retail set up is extremely lacking and as a shopper at any retail venue in sims 4, it leaves a lot to be desired. You click on an item, buy it, and the experience is over.

I don't know. I think it would just be another let down in terms of how they implement anything in this game.
  • Options
    ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    No thanks.
    Personally, no. I would rather have my sims do other things other than grocery shopping or having to go to a bookstore to buy books. I actually like that I can save time by buying things through phones or bookcases. I have GTW, and Dine out and restaurants are the only "retail" places I send my sims to.

Non-rabbit hole movie theatre is what I would prefer.
  • Options
    No thanks.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    One of the first retail establishments I built when we got Get To Work was a grocery store. I had cc shopping carts and cc items for shelves and I made all the aisles with all the things on the shelves (which took forever btw!) and it was a pretty cool looking grocery! But the Sims 4 retail set up is extremely lacking and as a shopper at any retail venue in sims 4, it leaves a lot to be desired. You click on an item, buy it, and the experience is over.

I don't know. I think it would just be another let down in terms of how they implement anything in this game.

Personally I never liked the retail stuff in Sims 2, either. When whatever it was called came out, I tried two stores. First an electronic store that was just too annoying to restock, and then a used car lot which at least was better, since more expensive items, the fewer you needed to restock per simolion earned. But at the end of the day the whole idea of owning and running a store was just boring to me. So the only thing I used from that pack, really, was the Servos (I am SO glad they are back, btw, they are my favorite non-human lifestage).
    In Sims 4 I have never owned any kind of store, or restaurant or vet clinic. It just seems so... grindy. I MIGHT try a vet clinic at some point because I love pets but you only get to see the sick ones and never spend time with them, so....
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No thanks.
    No thank you. I don't like chores in the game.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

Personally I never liked the retail stuff in Sims 2, either. When whatever it was called came out, I tried two stores. First an electronic store that was just too annoying to restock, and then a used car lot which at least was better, since more expensive items, the fewer you needed to restock per simolion earned. But at the end of the day the whole idea of owning and running a store was just boring to me. So the only thing I used from that pack, really, was the Servos (I am SO glad they are back, btw, they are my favorite non-human lifestage).
    In Sims 4 I have never owned any kind of store, or restaurant or vet clinic. It just seems so... grindy. I MIGHT try a vet clinic at some point because I love pets but you only get to see the sick ones and never spend time with them, so....

I never built or ran a shop in sims 2. But the shopping experience was at least, a bit better. The only thing I did in sims 2 was use the ticket machine on an amusement type lot that my sim ran. People could pay to go explore the pirate ship, the tibetan fountain to make wishes, etc. There were food booths and photo booths and other things that sims could buy tickets for at the ticket machine.

Actually, I have that lot in my TS2 game right now and am working on getting my sims set back up and the owner of that lot will be moving in to an apartment complex I am currently building.
  • Options
    Yes!!
    I’m not saying they should suppress the current options we have for buying food or books, just that I’d like it if they added a grocery store lot.

They could add an “order online option” and you could also order groceries from your computer. That way those who don’t want to go grocery shopping don’t have to.

And I would love to have a movie theater too!! In fact, I was very disappointed we didn’t get one with Get Famous.
    Personally, no. I would rather have my sims do other things other than grocery shopping or having to go to a bookstore to buy books. I actually like that I can save time by buying things through phones or bookcases. I have GTW, and Dine out and restaurants are the only "retail" places I send my sims to.

Non-rabbit hole movie theatre is what I would prefer.

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No thanks.

Perfectly said.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yes!!
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

You got me all wrong. I hate how extremely easy Sims 4 is compared to older titles. That said, I don't see the connection you try to make.

Quite frankly I find playing a game that is just like reality absolutely pointless. After all, I am alive. I know what being alive is like, I don't have to simulate it.
    What I WANT is to be able to do the things I CANNOT do in real life. Which is why I love Island Living, I guess. Actually spending my days living on the beach, in a climate without any of that utter horror I experience every winter, namely winter. Actually making enough money as a freelancer to only have to work two days a week and spend the rest sunbathing, diving looking at turtles, or well wear as little clothes as possible everywhere. Or having enough motivation to actually get a six pack and go to the gym four days a week.

Going to the grocery store ads absolutely zero to my gaming experience, just like laundry (or knitting) ads zero to my gaming experience. I get the same enjoyment from doing laundry in Sims 4 as I do from pausing the game and do laundry IRL. But at least I can fast forward past it, I guess.

Instead, give me some actual goals and motivations with challenges. Remove the reward store, or at least remove all "cheats" (the mermaid kelp, the potions, the total immunity to needs). Make it almost impossible to reach more than one aspiration per lifetime and only make it possible to change the aspiration when you age up so picking the correct one will be important. Make me CARE about skilling up, and not just see it as something I fast-forward thru to reach my next 100 rewards points in my latest Aspiration (of what I will have completed about 6 aspirations at death, having 30 000 reward points and earning 12 000 Simolions a day. As I said, Sims 4 has 0% challenge for anything).

These "chores" could add a lot of depth to the game beyond face value. I think anyone who sees otherwise is fooled by the lack of imagination of the developers.

Imagine if there are vast, big worlds with all different kinds of clothing stores in The Sims. Your Sim is only able to start off with some unattractive, cheap clothes, but as they earn more money, they will later afford luxurious stores in a fancy part of the city. Buying clothes from higher-end stores impresses certain Sims who are more materialistic than others. Aside from those little benefits, there would also be more to work towards, a Simoleon sink, so the game feels a bit more balanced and we aren't getting rich too fast. Maybe wearing the same outfit too long would require you to buy new ones or do laundry. Or, instead, pick up the knitting skill and eventually make your clothes for free, sell them, etc.

As far as the grocery store goes, I think for a life simulator, the lack of detail in the food system in this game is a bit sad. It could be fleshed out far more than how it currently is. I think readding the grocery store could enable that, while also adding a touch of realism to the game so that we aren't easily pulling out groceries from thin air. Don't want to go to the store? Order online. Don't want to do that? Well, if the food doesn't appear from thin air, you now have a viable reason to fish and garden actively. And I'd rather go through those extra steps as opposed to having magic food for the purpose of immersion alone.

I think the main problem with The Sims 4's gameplay is the lack of progression the game offers. You make a Sim in CAS and they stay virtually the same until death. Don't achieve their aspiration? No problem, that ear-to-ear grin will stay with them all throughout life, who cares? Don't keep after their whims? EA just disabled it by default, who cares? And, I mean, gameplay-wise, the formula is unchanged and stale. Drop a Sim in the game, get a career, skill up, make some money before their death, and the end. Rather than look to find ways to really reinvent the series, Maxis is more concerned with having fans pay $20 to watch their Sims go to a spa, watch the same old animations over and over again, and so on. It has become too much of a visual-obsessed dollhouse for my liking, whereas the predecessors like The Sims 2 did have that dollhouse element, but also supplemented it well with good life-sim game design.

In short, I think the next Sims game has really got to take things to the next level, and proactively look to change things up within every corner of the game. It's one of the many reasons I think Nintendo will have a hit with their next Animal Crossing sequel. The core gameplay has changed a ton without things going too far away from the series' roots. I 100% think The Sims needs to do the same.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Other
    I'm kinda on the fence with that one.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited March 2020
    Other
    Really? I love that about Sims 2 you actually had to play the game you want new clothes go to the store unlike Sims 4 which has clothing stores for some reason but your Sim owns everything already how boring.

So yeah I'd love grocery stores only if they actually fixed this game and made you either have to purchase food at the fridge or go to the store if its just empty game play where you go shopping but your fridge has a endless supply of free food I'd pass.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes!!
    Yes please! But it's useless fluff unless they then make it so that the fridge isn't just a magic box that carries all the types of foods without you purchasing it first.

How it is now, is convenient, but I really wouldn't mind the added hassle back of actually having to have the ingredients on hand. It would give more purpose to gardeners and add a little bit of depth and realism that is sorely missing from this game. It is 2020 though, so it would be nice to see an online order for your groceries too.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes!!
    In TS3 and TS2, I loved going out of the home for any reason, so shopping for food and books was something I liked to do. It also was a more natural way for my sims to make friends. Anyone that was at those lots, I had my sims introduce themselves or have a small conversation with those already met. It boosts your relationship with them and if your sims keep to this routine of talking to at least a few townies every time your sim goes out, they'll have built a lot of good friendships and level up their charisma! Also, I know nothing unpredictable happens in TS4, but in TS3 and TS2, those unexpected things happen more often when you send your sims out about town. So adding grocery stores I think would be good for TS4 and add a little bit of depth to it.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Yes!!
    Yes and no! Already I buy vegeatbles, herbs and fruit in San Myshuno. I also buy fish in Brindleton bay down by the harbour. Now should my sims use up their inventory instead of just having them, I would not like to this into a daily task since it is quit time consumming.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Yes!!
    100% yes. I don't like how the food appears to be in the fridge out of thin air. I would love to have grocery stores.

As a long time sims 2 fan, I still like how it was handled in that version. Fridges had a capacity that needed to be filled. If the counter hit zero, a sim could no longer cook because the fridge was empty. Besides going to a store there was an option to have groceries delivered (delivered in a basket by a npc, not magically appear in the inventory).

Groceries and actually paying for clothes would add so much realism to the game.