Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    I did a play through where the wife left for uni. Her husband would visit her on campus from time to time. But the teen(brother-in-law) and the her toddler didn't. I like having my family relationship high so I decided to have her visit the house. You know, to build up the relationship meter. Long story short, my sim got hungry, she went to cook a meal and her husband gets upset and says "This is inappropriate." Can we make this...not happen? Really gave me a hint that your sims relationships really don't matter.
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Oh and I almost forgot. When it was time for graduation my sim just stood outside. When I told her to enter she walked away from the building. So she ended up missing graduation, not getting a picture and she didn't get her degree. Although when I was playing in a household where the it was her best friend I found five degrees of her's that were in her best friend's inventory. Maybe my game glitched because I invited her friends and family to the graduation but I really hope this was a one time thing.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Long story short, my sim got hungry, she went to cook a meal and her husband gets upset and says "This is inappropriate." Can we make this...not happen? Really gave me a hint that your sims relationships really don't matter.

This is something that peeves me off to no end, like NPC's can come into our sims home and make themselves a grilled cheese, a salad etc and we can't tell them off for being "inappropriate" but we try the same thing, be it for a club (upper crusts) or our sim is hungry, they get told off, like double standard much? It really needs to be fixed or at least updated.

Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Long story short, my sim got hungry, she went to cook a meal and her husband gets upset and says "This is inappropriate." Can we make this...not happen? Really gave me a hint that your sims relationships really don't matter.

This is something that peeves me off to no end, like NPC's can come into our sims home and make themselves a grilled cheese, a salad etc and we can't tell them off for being "inappropriate" but we try the same thing, be it for a club (upper crusts) or our sim is hungry, they get told off, like double standard much? It really needs to be fixed or at least updated.

100% agree with this. This should be based on the relationship bar. IF it's high enough, you can cook at someone's house and they can raid your fridge. It drives me nuts that this is so one sided.

This isn't just for university though, it should be across all sims and all relationships. Likewise if your sim doesn't like a certain sim, they shouldn't even be knocking at your door in the first place.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    @StevieJohn88 While your sim is at class click on the little icon on their image and you'll get several options, from taking notes to sleep in class. It's just like the 'work hard' etc options when your sim is at work or school

Thanks 😁
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited February 2020

I usually give my sims the "Always Welcome" reward trait to circumvent this, but I would definitely prefer to have it tied to relationship level.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I find this pack very confusing, I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing or how my sim is progressing. How may terms am I meant to take before graduation or is that choice down to me? I feel like there isn't enough structure there to attending university

Are you tracking the classes and credits in the work menu? It shows you how many credits your sim has earned (you need 12 to graduate), how many days are left in the term, etc.

I put two sims all the way through university before I noticed the in-class options. :p
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited February 2020
    My number one complaint about DU is the fact that getting degrees takes so long on normal lifespan. My sims are getting their degrees in like mid-adulthood and it's annoying because at that point I would've already played through the career in question to about same point if not even completed it. So, basically the degrees are completely useless to me...

Edit // If any of you know a working mod that makes it take less time to complete a degree, please, let me know (:
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    My number one complaint about DU is the fact that getting degrees takes so long on normal lifespan. My sims are getting their degrees in like mid-adulthood and it's annoying because at that point I would've already played through the career in question to about same point if not even completed it. So, basically the degrees are completely useless to me...

Edit // If any of you know a working mod that makes it take less time to complete a degree, please, let me know (:

My workaround for this was turning aging off, just for when my sims were at university. I justified it to myself by saying it was adding a new life stage like TS2 university. It's not a perfect solution but university on normal lifespan annoyed me too for the same reasons. Just remember to turn aging back on again once you leave. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

100% agree with this. This should be based on the relationship bar. IF it's high enough, you can cook at someone's house and they can raid your fridge. It drives me nuts that this is so one sided.

This isn't just for university though, it should be across all sims and all relationships. Likewise if your sim doesn't like a certain sim, they shouldn't even be knocking at your door in the first place.

I agree, I would love for the "raid fridge/make food" to be a relationship based action rather than a random one-sided interaction, and it should be disabled entirely for clubs (I heard that it was supposedly fixed for clubs but it broke again.)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I feel my major issues with DU are the following.

Class schedule is a little too confusing to keep track of. Sure I could use the calendar from Seasons I bet but what if I was a Simmer who didn't have Seasons? I mean I do but should it not be easier to keep track?

The courses are very cheap which is both good and bad. Great for getting everyone to go to school but bad because it's quite easy to amass a fortune in this game. It might have been nice to see more ways to spend that cash.

Dormies don't have the best AI.

Why can't we at least customize dorm rooms without using the build mode feature. Couldn't that have been disabled somehow instead?

The world is gorgeous. The CAS and BB mode are awesome!
  • Options
    RaiijkRaiijk Posts: 1 New Member
    I just bought DU this past week and mine seems to have the 'fail classes no matter what' bug, which is highly disappointing because I basically can't play it until that bug is fixed.

I also wish the dorms had already had mini fridges/microwaves in them. It took me forever to figure out a way for my sim to eat without having to leave the dorm. I was kind of surprised there wasn't some sort of community kitchen because my dorms always had those (added one myself, but I'm much more focused on gameplay than building so it took me a dumb amount of time to remember I could do that).
  • Options
    helianthus2901helianthus2901 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been trying to edit the Britechester dorms for a few days now and every time I go into B/B mode the UI disappears and I have to save and exit the game. Nothing helps. I've tried opening the gallery and stuff but nothing helps. The only way is to leave the game. Is this happening to anyone else? :smile:
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Raiijk wrote: »
    I just bought DU this past week and mine seems to have the 'fail classes no matter what' bug, which is highly disappointing because I basically can't play it until that bug is fixed.

I also wish the dorms had already had mini fridges/microwaves in them. It took me forever to figure out a way for my sim to eat without having to leave the dorm. I was kind of surprised there wasn't some sort of community kitchen because my dorms always had those (added one myself, but I'm much more focused on gameplay than building so it took me a dumb amount of time to remember I could do that).

I'm sure you probably figured out mini fridges and microwaves from the university stands.

Roommates also seem to bring food so often I doubt a Sim would starve but I agree it's an interesting choice to not allow stoves on a dorm lot.

If you don't have Sims living in the dorm you can edit them from the world select screen and modify them a bit. I added the mini cooler from Outdoor Retreat and I did add some food stall objects from the catalog but I haven't fully tested them yet . I do know you have to hire a vender which costs $100 but they do stay a few hours.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2020
    Is there a mod to get the roommates to stop playing the violin?
  • Options
    LoveMyMeowLoveMyMeow Posts: 38 Member
    Ok, so I just bought this expansion pack yesterday at more than 60% off. I'm glad I waited until now to get it because there's no way it's worth the full price. As someone who's never a fan of university, I find this iteration a bit lackluster. It's just sooo mundane. Gameplay wise, it doesn't add much. What else is there to do besides attending classes, homework, project and term paper. Not to mention the buildings are so ugly. What's even the point of university housing. The arbitrary restrictions make no sense at all. Apparently you cannot have a stove and students can only eat microwaveable food. Instead of downloading a mod that bypass the restrictions like a lot of people have done, I just built a residential lot that looks like a dorm and have a bunch of YA move it. I don't notice any difference at all. So what does this game pack even add to the game again? I struggle to find any appeal in it. Of course, I can send my sims to parties and socialize, join clubs, etc.. but that can already be done without University. Also, the gotoschool mod stopped working after I installed this expansion pack. It's one of my favorite mods too. So disappointed.
  • Options
    AdelphaFreyaAdelphaFreya Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey Guys, unsure where to put this but I really have been searching and I am at my wit's end.
    I understand that "No Stoves" are allowed in university, but I have been searching for a Mod that will combat this problem for weeks.
    The ones that are already out, quite frankly do not work anymore since the patch, and it completely screws up build mode and makes the dorms a "non-university" no matter how much you try to fix it, you just can't.
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know, as it's such a shame that the mod stopped working.
    TIA.
  • Options
    LoveMyMeowLoveMyMeow Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hey Guys, unsure where to put this but I really have been searching and I am at my wit's end.
    I understand that "No Stoves" are allowed in university, but I have been searching for a Mod that will combat this problem for weeks.
    The ones that are already out, quite frankly do not work anymore since the patch, and it completely screws up build mode and makes the dorms a "non-university" no matter how much you try to fix it, you just can't.
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know, as it's such a shame that the mod stopped working.
    TIA.

You should give this mod a try. The creator of this one recently updated it. http://modthesims.info/d/635134/stoves-and-outdoor-cooking-allowed-in-dorms.html
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    I guess my complaints are mainly things that relate to the Sims 4 generally:

1. I so, so miss the Sims 2 when going to college directly after being in high school and living with your parents for 18 years felt like the big deal that it is. Now, my newly young adult Sims walk out the door and no one cares. No one is sad they are gone. They graduate, and no one cares. No one shows up to help them celebrate unless asked. The videos from Sims 2 of the sims leaving, being brought to campus by a parent or guardian, and graduation really added depth to the game. University is just another disconnected element now.

2. Speaking of graduation--and classes--the whole thing where my Sim has to stand around for an hour or two and THEN go to class or the "ceremony" (so sad) could really die.

3. I kind of like the mysteriousness of class grades--at least it adds an element of difficulty. But the schedule--as everyone has pointed out is unmanageable.

4. The loading screen for the cafeteria. Just why. Having to go there to eat a meal is so obnoxious.

5. It would be fun--since this is an education pack--to make the term papers and posters a little more interesting. It takes a long time. Questions about what to include might make the process more fun for players.

6. I miss private schools.

7. The sports events are absolutely terrible. Why am I spending money for my Sim to go to a rabbit hole where they gain NO FUN OR SKILL!?
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2020
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    So, tomorrow we learn if our concerns were valid. I don’t know about you, but I’m so desperate to add to my game that I have caved and bought packs in the past even if they didn’t look great. I don’t want to cave again. What will you do if you decide not to buy DU?

-Add more mods? I might.
    -Start a challenge that won’t make you miss University? I am thinking of starting the 100 baby challenge.
    -Go back to TS2 or TS3? I loaded up TS3 today out of complete frustration for TS4. Too bad it’s butt ugly and I had to stop playing.

I love mods. My game is mod heavy, but the only problem with adding mods is that every update breaks the mods that you've installed and you have to wait until the modders fix what's broken. I'll probably get uni but not right away. I'll wait to see what the modders do to improve it, because I know it's going to be disappointing, but it's the one pack I've been waiting for.

That‘s the downside of using script/mods. That‘s why I use very little of mods. But I do use CC. There a lots of CC bunkbeds out there, and the ones I have in my game work pretty good. I even have loft beds which are very nice. Therefore I‘m really not too worried if they don‘t include bunkbeds in this pack. Although I would like to have them without using CC. But hey, I guess you can‘t have everything, especially not in TS4.

I have a lot of CC too. I do try to stick to the simpler mods, I really like the ones that don't need updating. I don't have bunk beds in my game yet so I'll have to get some. I have a feeling that bunk beds might be coming in another pack. I have a feeling that a lot of stuff fans want will be coming in other packs hence EA still making EP's, stuff and packs for this game instead of talking about TS5. I mean five years in and no sprial stairs, no pool table, no drums. They are going to squeeze every last dime out of fans by making new packs out of what was standard in other packs. I really want to see something that makes TS4 feel like it's own game and not TS2/3 in a half. There are things that l do like about TS4, but unfortunately all the bugs that haven't been fixed make those things less enjoyable. At this point it is what it is, but it's so frustrating because EA missed so many opportunities with this game. It's like they stopped trying to be innovative and are only catering to one demographic. I've been playing the sims since the first game and I feel like EA doesn't care about their long time fans as if were still not playing the game. Sims fans are extremely vocal so you can't tell me by now that EA doesn't know what their fans want.

No wonder you all think things are missing, when you use so much non- Maxis content it is going to look like things are missing but in truth they were never part of the game to start with. This is why I don't use CC, mods and cheats in a developing game.

I use mod/CC.
    guess what I do when a new pack comes out,
    remove all mods/cc before installation!
    so I can view the whole packs content/ features, etc etc etc.
    the game lacks in most packs.
    for god sake, regardless of mods/cc.
    not everybody uses them.
    I use some that bring back features what so far the sims 4 team haven't.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    NixæNixæ Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2020
    W.O.W I am so disappointed. Was so excited about Uni xpac, bought it in a bundle immediately. I created 2 opposite-but-besties sims with the intention to send them both off to uni together. Of course an athlete and an artist can’t attend the same university unless my athlete studies....gardening? Or my painter studies....violin?, so that’s disappointment number 1, right out the gate. I send my painter off to Foxbury. I choose to take 3 classes. I get to Uni and for some reason I have 4. Ok? Then the first thing I notice is that after assigning a bed and locking the door for all but roommates, everyone is still coming in my room and chatting with me while sitting on my bed while I’m trying to do my first homework assignment. Annoyed as hell. Then I notice for whatever reason I’m STARVING all of the sudden? Of course there is no mini fridge in my dorm, and no way to buy one?!? So I have to walk (slowly because uncomfortable) all the way across campus to the common. It’s empty. Finally after waiting around while starving the (vendor?) arrives, throws the food on the bar, then immediately scoops it back up and walks out to have a chat with someone. Eventually comes back and throws it down again. I eat til fully green and walk ever so slowly (because exhausted) back to my dorm. Oh look, I can’t enter my room. Because the door is still locked for roommates only and my bed has been unassigned!!! I reassign my bed, assign beds to every sim on the entire floor, then re-lock my door. Sims are still entering that shouldn’t be. For some reason I wake up FULLY STARVING AGAIN. Head back across campus to eat. Vendor is there, food is there, but the option to grab food doesn’t show up for a full 3 minutes in real life. Fill hunger bar fully, sit down to do homework there in the common. Literally everyone that can talk to me, does, takes forever to get homework done, continually clicking out of dialog in queue. Oh look my hunger bar is low yellow.
    Went back to try to edit dorm in build mode. Can’t while sims living on lot. Want to move to different, better lot (mansion lot). Can’t without RE-ENROLLING?! Are you kidding me??? Now I’m dropping out to start over.
    IM SO ANGRY AND SOOO DISAPPOINTED at how broken this is. TS2 was way better.
    Post edited by Nixæ on
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    The little cafe area doesn't always provide vegetarian options. :'( my sim is going through it and she's starving because of the lack of options.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    ShortieJ845ShortieJ845 Posts: 38 Member
    My sim is in the Brichester Spirit Corps and for some reason I can not get him to taunt a rival student. I make sure to select Foxbury students or "Brichester Rivals" during Brichester Spirit events, search under mean, mischief, friendly interations and there is nothing there that says anythign about university's superiority or taunting a rival. Am I doing somthing wrong? This is the second household I have had in the spirit corp and can not get them to taunt rival students.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I really, really, wish the game in DU would stop with the constant plates of meals being distributed to the Dorms and then, left to rot and smell in the dorm halls. Sometimes the game goes crazy and produces up to several dishes for students to eat seemingly produced from the bathroom location of all places, lol. I tried putting a fridge in the dorm rec room to slow down the "filthy space" moodlet from so much rotting platters of food. But that seems to cause even more food to be set out by random sims. Hard to have fun and play if you have to keep cleaning up these numerous platters of food like lobster. ALL of which are unrealistic and doesn't exist in a typical dorm. The maids won't touch it either. Ughhh.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    My sim is in the Brichester Spirit Corps and for some reason I can not get him to taunt a rival student. I make sure to select Foxbury students or "Brichester Rivals" during Brichester Spirit events, search under mean, mischief, friendly interations and there is nothing there that says anythign about university's superiority or taunting a rival. Am I doing somthing wrong? This is the second household I have had in the spirit corp and can not get them to taunt rival students.

I know they changed it so that autonomously only Evil, bro, hot-headed and childish sims can taunt someone. Does your sims have those traits? Maybe they need to have those traits as well in order to see that option pop up.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!