Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    After being gifted this pack as a present this I will need to eat some humble pie and I feel it is one of the best expansion packs despite me not liking the livestream and lets plays. This was a pack I never wanted and I hated university in sims 3. Sims 4 is much better with very little issues in my game but I will admit I still hate dorms and find the gameplay very easy. So far I’ve had all my 4 uni sims work full time jobs in proper housing lots 2 did 4 classes, 1 doing 3 and 1 doing 1-2 but he is doing it sulani style (relaxed) and all my sims have managed to get at least an A- so I don’t understand why people say the pack is a challenge as i think it’s not. My main critic is still I hate the bb and cas items but I hate that sort of fashion
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2019
    netney52 wrote: »
    After being gifted this pack as a present this I will need to eat some humble pie and I feel it is one of the best expansion packs despite me not liking the livestream and lets plays. This was a pack I never wanted and I hated university in sims 3. Sims 4 is much better with very little issues in my game but I will admit I still hate dorms and find the gameplay very easy. So far I’ve had all my 4 uni sims work full time jobs in proper housing lots 2 did 4 classes, 1 doing 3 and 1 doing 1-2 but he is doing it sulani style (relaxed) and all my sims have managed to get at least an A- so I don’t understand why people say the pack is a challenge as i think it’s not. My main critic is still I hate the bb and cas items but I hate that sort of fashion

Cas is one of DUs strong points. They really blew the hairstyles and clothing out of the water.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    netney52 wrote: »

Cas is one of DUs strong points. They really blew the hairstyles and clothing out of the water.

I do appreciate a most people like the cas from DU and it seems very on trend. Personally I don’t like it and have little use for it for my sims. I think that sort of style is not for me and my gameplay. I think I am in the minority with this with not liking the cas and bb as it seems to be the strong point of the pack with a lot of simmers
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    Camkat wrote: »
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    LDraconis wrote: »
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Careful there... when you ask them to tone it down, they nerf it to nothing. ;) (You just have to look at vampires, aliens to see some examples of this.) I do expect with all the complaints about this though, instead of finding the middle ground (there's no middle ground with TS4) they will just turn it off and no one will ever bring any food again.
    >
    > Oh and the robot workstation shocks will probably be turned down to nothing. That's not near as bad as starving sims though...

What was toned down regarding Vampires? I still have issues with at least one and often more than one coming to the door, or if I have forgotten to lock to the door, in the door and converting someone.

Really? Lucky you! (unless you don't want them of course). My sims NEVER get visits. Vlad texts my sim on a fresh save, sometimes he even shows up but he won't come in unless invited and after that, unless I go out looking for them or to their houses directly, I never see a vampire again. :/

Never have they broke in. Oh! Once, a townie one did break in while my sim was living in an apartment and she took out my trash and left. :D I've never seen a vampire choose to feed or break in on their own. I've done it while playing them, but they just never seem to do these things when left alone in any of my saves. Definitely they've never turned anyone on their own but I don't think that they were ever supposed to do that, which is fine with me. I wouldn't mind a few more break ins to feed though. Give me a reason to make the garlic garlands, right now they're pointless if a vampire isn't even going to come over.

When did that change, cause before last patch, I had all of that break-in stuff, also Lilith and Caleb knocking at the door past 10PM.

Ah yes it's a thread about complaints of DU... ehmmmm
    Make Foxbury flat, devs!

It's always been this way for me? I've only had vampires since last May though. (I took awhile to buy extra packs). When it didn't play as expected I went looking around and found they had been nerfed (and I'm definitely not the only one experiencing this), but you two now are making me think there's an issue in my game. *hmmm* Or I'm extremely unlucky?

I was also a little surprised to see so many stairs in Foxbury. Have some new bikes! Oh but you can only use them efficiently in half of the new world! Ha! *facepalm*

I 'mist' them stairs, Lilith's gift, you see? I'm more concerned by non-vampire sims' exhaustion. Makes the plasma taste bad, somehow :( Also, makes them late at courses.
  • Options
    MissBlackwood13MissBlackwood13 Posts: 1 New Member
    So I’ve been playing TS4 DU for a few days now and I have to say I’m pretty disappointed. It’s lame. 1st term I had my sim only take 2 classes so I could get a feel for being at uni. My sim is on a soccer scholarship so he has training and games as well. The two classes and soccer take up most of his time. I squeeze in an outing here and there but sometimes have to cheat my needs to get through.

What’s really lame:
    -There are hardly any sims around campus. When I go to class I’m the only student walking in the door. Where is everyone? It feels fake.
    -Bikes don’t take you far on campus and walking up two flights of stairs takes nearly 45 minutes.
    -Parties are a joke. Where are the juice keg parties with sims running around naked and dancing? Where are the bonfire parties with togas? My sims has only seen one party. He wasn’t invited but a roommate threw it. There was no music. No sims were drinking from the keg I put out. There were about 5 sims there and they just stood around talking...
    -Being on the soccer team is pointless. You don’t see games and you don’t practice with teammates. Every practice my sim plays energetically and very practice he gets an injury. Every time. He also got an injury in the last game and was sent out early. All it’s doing is taking up my sims time and making him uncomfortable because he’s consistently injured.
    -All of the classes my sims has taken are rabbit holes. No more outside class painting on easels or working with skeletons or anything.

That’s my assessment so far. It just mostly sucks and makes me long for TS3. I loved university for TS3. The parties were crazy, There were lots of sims to meet. Classes were fun. I miss the protests and the general liveliness around campus. I miss the bowling alley and the places around campus and town to hang. DU is just lacking. I’m trying to find a way to make it fun and it’s not working.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    Ugh! Had to come back here because I simply cannot stand the sycophantic nature of people on this site. There's a poll on whether or not DU met, exceeded, or did not met your expectations and of course exceeds expectations is winning. I don't outright hate this pack, but I find it hard to believe with the amount of bugs and glitches and things that are missing that this EP would exceed anyone's expectations, then again a lot of fans don't have any expectations of EA/Maxis beyond just churning out games so it's not hard to exceed their expectations. It's just frustrating for those of us who actually do have expectations, not even necessarily high ones, of EA/Maxis because they will always appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is why we can't have nice things.
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    Ugh! Had to come back here because I simply cannot stand the sycophantic nature of people on this site. There's a poll on whether or not DU met, exceeded, or did not met your expectations and of course exceeds expectations is winning. I don't outright hate this pack, but I find it hard to believe with the amount of bugs and glitches and things that are missing that this EP would exceed anyone's expectations, then again a lot of fans don't have any expectations of EA/Maxis beyond just churning out games so it's not hard to exceed their expectations. It's just frustrating for those of us who actually do have expectations, not even necessarily high ones, of EA/Maxis because they will always appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is why we can't have nice things.

You're allowed to be upset with the game, but you come across as entitled and rude when you insult people just because they're happy with a pack. University exceeded my expectations, which were pretty low because historically the expansion packs have been half-baked for sims.

This is the thread for complaining, not insulting other simmers on the website. It's incredibly rude and childish.

To stay on topic though, the bikes are driving me nuts. I'd almost preferred no animations like in sims 3. By the time it takes my sim to mount/dismount, I could've jogged there by now. There seems to be no way to make it default or not default set of travel like with brooms, bat, super speed, mist form etc. Your sim just uses it by default if one is in your inventory, I don't want to always use a bike.

Have you by chance had bikes go invisible when sims ride them like me?

Nope can't say that I have
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    I was so excited when I first saw the world, but the more i look at it the more I realize how bland it is....

Take the "college town". The buildings surrounding the library are all the same! I understand not putting playable lots, but it really makes no sense to plop a bar right in the middle of what seems to be a neighborhood full of residential houses...

The main part of the campus (the quad, I guess?) is SO EMPTY! It's literally just a lawn and a statue. Since there seems to be only five random sims on campus at all times, it makes everything look even more desolate. I mean it's a quad! They couldn't at least make it a lot? Imagine how nice it would look if there were more activities or at least food stands?
    THIRTYT(2).png
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    As some stated, my only complaint is how desolate and bland the world and people are. It's like a ghost town. Kind of depressing even. And the few sims that you do see never do anything more than walk and talk, as always.
    I was picturing a hustling bustling university campus with all kind of activities going on.
    Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if they could assign certain townies specific roles so they atleast "look like" they have a life.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Holy cow, I thought maybe folks were exaggerating but it takes a whole plumming generation to travel around the Foxbury campus!
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    Take the "college town". The buildings surrounding the library are all the same! I understand not putting playable lots, but it really makes no sense to plop a bar right in the middle of what seems to be a neighborhood full of residential houses...

I live in a college town in England and this is exactly how it is. Bars here are pubs and they're treated like restaurants rather than just drinking kind of places. Kids are allowed inside during the day and it's more like your "iHop" or "Denny's" than an actual "bar". I think this is maybe what the sims team is going for here. You can walk about any residential area long enough, and within a few minutes you will come across a pub, just seeming in among the houses. For me, this set up is normal. I did grow up in North America though, so I do see where you are coming from and neighbourhoods there are just not set up like that.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    ls2177ls2177 Posts: 10 New Member
    I was surprised to see my sim entering the library with her bicycle and then parked it inside. Like wth... was this intentional or did EA half-🐸🐸🐸🐸 the bicycle feature? Did they forget to code the "stop when entering a building" into the game lmao
  • Options
    Missimay94Missimay94 Posts: 45 Member
    The packs okay but I wish they didn’t make out you could actually go to the classes :(
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    In the decade+ that I've been involved in the Sims there have been a couple of that times I've brought something and thought....Hmmmm, this isn't quite what I thought it would be. But for the first time I honestly want to kick myself for plunking down 40 bucks.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    If only Servos had a fleshed out skill tree like vampires. Instead they condensed it down to the enhancement skill.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    So I’ve been playing TS4 DU for a few days now and I have to say I’m pretty disappointed. It’s lame. 1st term I had my sim only take 2 classes so I could get a feel for being at uni. My sim is on a soccer scholarship so he has training and games as well. The two classes and soccer take up most of his time. I squeeze in an outing here and there but sometimes have to cheat my needs to get through.

I agree. I'm bored with this EP, too. There are so many things in this game, in every EP and GP, that I've loved, so I thought the university would be a great experience. I really enjoyed it in TS3. But now I don't know.

I sent my spelcaster there, and thought it would be nice for her to have those Potions of Plentiful Needs with her, so she wouldn't necessarily need to sleep, if there were other things to do for her. And I only gave her two classes at first, because I wanted her to have the whole experience with all the parties and everything else.

But here's what happened: She slept soundly through every night, because the only things I could think for her to do most of the time were doing homework or studying or writing a course paper, which meant just fast forwarding for me. Well, at least she did pretty well. I put her in the soccer team, which just meant fast forwarding while she was at the practise. Then I found the UBrite Spirit Corps, which I had her join so she could party a bit. Well, she did get these nice tasks to taunt a student of the other university and stuff, but other than that, there was one party that was kind of lame. So, I don't think she will enrol another semester or ever graduate. If I really wanted her to, I guess I could just give her as many classes as possible and fast forward with her just studying and studying, but I don't want to do that.

I suppose I'm kind of curious about the robotics lab at that other university. Perhaps she could try that one. But if Foxbury's not different in any other way, then I guess I'll just try to enjoy the clothes and hair and stuff that came with the EP, and forget studying.

01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    Christina0216Christina0216 Posts: 11 New Member
    I've been playing with DU for a few days, and I don't think it's that bad..I did love TS3 University, and this definitely isn't close to that, but it's not terrible. I totally agree that Foxubry's campus is completely deserted..I thought maybe it was because of the time of day my Sim was out there, but nope. I also have townies walking around, like Bella Goth, and some random children, which I really don't care about, but it's just kinda weird. My Sim keeps trying to ride her bike down/up stairs which is odd. I changed one of the University Housing like penthouse type things in Foxbury to "residential", redid a bunch of stuff, and moved a family of 6 in there, all of whom are going to college. This way I was able to have a full kitchen and bring my dog. I completely understand how this game makes it impossible for rotational players. I've had to redo like all the buildings so far: the library, the bar, and later tonight I'm gonna tackle the commons. My Sims haven't been enrolled long enough for me to be able to tell how much extra-curricular stuff they'll be able to do..5 also have full time jobs (2 actresses, a musician, an athlete, and a conservationist), but they're all already at like levels 8 or 9 so idc if they miss work for class. I think the most annoying things for me so far are:

1) Where I chose to live..when people come to visit they just pop up in my apt, they'll stand there for awhile w/ the option to "Invite In", but if I don't do anything they just invite themselves in and start doing stuff. It's just awkward to have them standing in my hallway because I don't have a front door lol
    2) You can't watch a ping pong/juice pong game?? This bothers me almost as much as you not having the option to watch TV w/ someone else, like in TS3. Like how hard is that to include?
    3) Also w/ the ping pong/juice pong thing, when you play w/ a teammate both teammates who aren't playing like stand off to the side, and then they switch, instead of standing next to each other.
    3) My dog can't go downstairs anymore. I've had pets in apts in San Myshuno and have had no issues. So I now have to travel somewhere w/ my dog to take it for a walk. Glitch maybe?
    4) How long it takes to hear back from the university and scholarships. I get they probably wanted to make it realistic, but come on..it's a game lol some things don't have to be super realistic.
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    In my language there is a word "przekombinować" which means that you wanted to do something very, very clever but you overdo it and the crap came out. :/

Interesting idea with no progress bar showing achievements. Good idea with questions to professors... But it is a pity that my Sim was in all classes, always listened carefully, did all homework, wrote a very good (as the game told me!) term paper and finally got the worst possible grade.

Does the assessment depend on luck? Is this a lottery? Or maybe EA once again released the game with huge errors?

And the second thing is Foxbury campus. I don't mind that it's empty, because my Sims are sitting all the time in the dorm and studying or staying in rabbit holes ... But this place is uncomfortable to play, buildings are too high, the camera going crazy and nothing is visible. In addition, someone had woderful idea! - let's give stairs everywhere, cyclists will be delighted!

I apologize for complaining but I am very disappointed with the addition. :(
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Maed wrote: »
    I wish the University Student Hang Out lot trait wasn't barred from being applied to restaurants.

Didn't know that was a thing. That's disappointing. I like creating multi-venues and just changing back and forth to the preferred one at that moment.

But of course, restrictions as usual.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Maed wrote: »
    I wish the University Student Hang Out lot trait wasn't barred from being applied to restaurants.

Didn't know that was a thing. That's disappointing. I like creating multi-venues and just changing back and forth to the preferred one at that moment.

But of course, restrictions as usual.

I'm with you. I like to build combined venues. In TS3 I love my dive bar/casino combination. I also don't like the requirements that certain things have to be added to a venue for it to work.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    LokidottirLokidottir Posts: 2 New Member
    I made a household with twins so they could go to university and live in the dorms together, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Can someone tell me if I'm just missing how to do it or if it really isn't possible.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Holy cow, I thought maybe folks were exaggerating but it takes a whole plumming generation to travel around the Foxbury campus!

Can agree it's one heck of a pain in the butt
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019
    Lokidottir wrote: »
    I made a household with twins so they could go to university and live in the dorms together, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Can someone tell me if I'm just missing how to do it or if it really isn't possible.

Enroll one twin, then go back to the original household and enroll the second twin. I'm not entirely sure if this works with dorms, or only on-campus housing.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Enroll one twin, then go back to the original houseold and enroll the second twin. I'm not entirely sure if this works with dorms, or only on-campus housing.

It works for dorn too. But do it fast, one by one because NPC students marking beds very quickly. :)

My friend told me today, that she send one Sim student to dorn and the second one (girl student) stay at home with animals. She left the girl student and play only boy in the dorn. And guess what? Playble boy got good notes and npc girl - best possible notes in all subjects! So, if you want to have excellent notes just leave Your student alone as NPC and wait. :dizzy:
    Logic! :expressionless:

Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    13) Terms are too short. Normal RL terms are seasonal, which feels natural. I suspect they set the term length at 7 days since that is the minimum season length but with them that short, it feels like there is no time to really feel like you are at university. Most of the 'extras' such as teams, groups, etc seem to fall by the wayside in favour of simply concentrating on studies.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019
    Aericia wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »

Enroll one twin, then go back to the original houseold and enroll the second twin. I'm not entirely sure if this works with dorms, or only on-campus housing.

It works for dorn too. But do it fast, one by one because NPC students marking beds very quickly. :)

My friend told me today, that she send one Sim student to dorn and the second one (girl student) stay at home with animals. She left the girl student and play only boy in the dorn. And guess what? Playble boy got good notes and npc girl - best possible notes in all subjects! So, if you want to have excellent notes just leave Your student alone as NPC and wait. :dizzy:
    Logic! :expressionless:

I've done this, but it's not guaranteed that your sim will get good grades. My sim did well in the first semester only. After that, she did poorly and got suspended for low grades. So I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone for long. I think they'll do better alone if their skills are already high.