Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason simmers welcolme other life simulator games.

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited October 2019
    Paralives can try all it wants, but the game looks horrible aesthetically.

I think paralives look okay.Its still early in production.So we don't know the final design is going to like yet.Even if the characters dont look high tier.So what ? We play a game to play a game to play. Not to look at a picture.If paralives have good features like the whole altering bed thing.Than I can give it a look

Ummm... if I have to look at it and I don't like what I'm looking at, I'm not going to buy it.

It's become clear to me that Paralives only cares about build mode, and that I have no interest in.

How is it clear to you.They are only at the early stages of development.They had not even show their characters yet.Except for a dog.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I love the art style of paralives, and if it's not too expensive upon release, if it ever comes to release in several years, I might play it. I think it looks fun.

But I also have no issues with Sims 4. I play live mode and it's my favourite Sims game. (or any game) I get really drawn into it in a way I just never did with earlier versions. Even if Paralives is fantastic I don't think I'll ever give up Sims 4.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I have question in farm together can you have a family.I ask because I'm obsessed with family play.
    Sadly no. You can have pets and you can play it with friends and have a bunch of farm animals. I like family play too. With Stardew Valley you can have a family.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Ummm... if I have to look at it and I don't like what I'm looking at, I'm not going to buy it.

It's become clear to me that Paralives only cares about build mode, and that I have no interest in.
    It is still too early to tell. They are still working on gameplay. Sims started off developing build mode first too. Fun Sims fact the first object was a toilet.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member

Cool then you must know A LOT more than the rest of us, cause I've been following every bit of Paralives news on all social media and this has not "become clear" to me at all
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    jooxis wrote: »

Cool then you must know A LOT more than the rest of us, cause I've been following every bit of Paralives news on all social media and this has not "become clear" to me at all
    Apart from the fact it’s actually Sims 4 that very much leans on build mode and CAS and is clearly lacking in the gameplay area (and the sims).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I think paralives look okay.Its still early in production.So we don't know the final design is going to like yet.Even if the characters dont look high tier.So what ? We play a game to play a game to play. Not to look at a picture.If paralives have good features like the whole altering bed thing.Than I can give it a look

Actually it looks just like Sims mobile if you ask me and I can't stand mobile games. But to each their own - I do not have to like those games as many other people seem to love a lot of them. I just won't be one of them.

Funny why don't you apply those same words then to Sims 4?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think the dog in Paralives is cute and if the characters mirror that aesthetic I'll be happy. You can also see an arm and part of the body of another character. Reminds me of the Disney animated characters.

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

It is still too early to tell. They are still working on gameplay. Sims started off developing build mode first too. Fun Sims fact the first object was a toilet.

Exactly. Will Wright started off making a game about building. The Sims didn't become a thing until he wanted little people to judge the success of the builds. It all took off from there. I will never shoot down an indie developer before the game has even been completed. Each game has the potential to be the next groundbreaking thing, like how Sim City and The Sims were in their time.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Actually it looks just like Sims mobile if you ask me and I can't stand mobile games. But to each their own - I do not have to like those games as many other people seem to love a lot of them. I just won't be one of them.

Funny why don't you apply those same words then to Sims 4?
    I don’t suppose you’re reacting to your own words there but to the post you already responded to:

”I think paralives look okay.Its still early in production.So we don't know the final design is going to like yet.Even if the characters dont look high tier.So what ? We play a game to play a game to play. Not to look at a picture.If paralives have good features like the whole altering bed thing.Than I can give it a look.”
    • Sims 4 is not in production, it’s 5 (five) years old
    • We know the final design and the design is not our main issue
    • “We play a game to play, not to look at a picture”, with Sims 4 that seems to be the other way around

So I wouldn’t say the words are applicable at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Paralives scenery looks washed out. I pay a lot of money for my graphics cards and graphics does matter to me. That being said I am not the most fond of Sims4 earlier graphics most of the time - they have gotten better and they are acceptable. I cannot even see washed out watercolor like drawings as acceptable and to me that is what I see in those paralives pictures.

I am also not blown away with the changing beds - I know the trouble that kind of design can create - so not really impressed unless he makes it lock on each style I see trouble. But if that is what you want - good for you. My opinion for me says so far I am not impressed. But I do not need to be impressed for any one else or even like it. Like other games that do not impress me I don't promote them or buy them. No big deal. Just my opinion. It should not bother any one at all what I think. If you like it buy it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Paralives scenery looks washed out. I pay a lot of money for my graphics cards and graphics does matter to me. That being said I am not the most fond of Sims4 earlier graphics most of the time - they have gotten better and they are acceptable. I cannot even see washed out watercolor like drawings as acceptable and to me that is what I see in those paralives pictures.

I am also not blown away with the changing beds - I know the trouble that kind of design can create - so not really impressed unless he makes it lock on each style I see trouble. But if that is what you want - good for you. My opinion for me says so far I am not impressed. But I do not need to be impressed for any one else or even like it. Like other games that do not impress me I don't promote them or buy them. No big deal. Just my opinion. It should not bother any one at all what I think. If you like it buy it.
    I actually share that concern.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m playing a game with a goose now with aesthetics that are way worse than Paralives and it’s hilarious. I’m really having fun. It reminds me of games I played in the eighties that completely relied on gameplay because graphics were plum back then.
    Oh Untitled Goose Game. I heard SimGuruFrost was playing that game too. It looked interesting. Yeah for me a game doesn't have to look aesthetically good to be fun. I mean if that was the case, games like Minecraft wouldn't have taken off as much as it did. Also how I get my Sims building practice is from playing Minecraft.

As the BBC reports "Against all the odds, an unnamed goose has topped the download charts on the Nintendo Switch console in the UK and Australia.
    It has even beaten one of Nintendo's own highly-anticipated games, the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening."

"Some people say that the most simple ideas are often the greatest... and that might well be true for game creators at Panic who released Untitled Goose Game into the world.
    What's that you say? A incredibly basic game where you get to pretend to be an annoying goose running around in a village? Sign us up!
    The stealth puzzle game was released on 20 September for Windows, macOS, and Nintendo Switch and has got everybody talking, flapping their wings and doing a lot of honking!"

The graphics are very basic but the game is very enjoyable!
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Personally, I want decent graphics. I was very happy to leave S3 and the pudding faces behind. (And that was a big deal at the time - Pescado named his entire S3 section 'The Pudding Factory'.) I want game play, too, but games like Stardew Valley have no appeal to me as life simulators because they don't look like real life.

That said, I don't think Paralives looks horrible - it has improved from the earliest screenshots - but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon until it shows the AI. Being able to manipulate the size of objects, while useful, isn't game play. AI is game play.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Funny, I’ll trade my Sims 3 simmies for my Sims 4 sims any time. So that’s total nonsense and a matter of preference. This has got nothing to do with Paralives graphics, Sims 3’s art style beats Sims 4’s for me. I wouldn’t care if Sims 4 was a great game though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Some games have been created with the Unity Engine. If you want to learn about the engine and what type of games can be built with it, here is a good link to read and learn.
    https://unity.com/

ETA: and for some who may doubt it can deliver good graphics check out what games are being created or have been created with Unity engine. A.C. was one if anyone doesn't know, and so was City Skylines. So, the creator working on the new life simulator has the tools (if he wants) to make a graphically pleasing game and it doesn't have to look like a mobile game. Though many mobile and iPad games are being created with Unity. But some other big games such as A.C. and City Skylines were, too.
    https://unity3d.com/games-made-with-unity

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

Personally, I want decent graphics. I was very happy to leave S3 and the pudding faces behind. (And that was a big deal at the time - Pescado named his entire S3 section 'The Pudding Factory'.) I want game play, too, but games like Stardew Valley have no appeal to me as life simulators because they don't look like real life.

That said, I don't think Paralives looks horrible - it has improved from the earliest screenshots - but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon until it shows the AI. Being able to manipulate the size of objects, while useful, isn't game play. AI is game play.

I guess preferences I like sims 3 designs better than 4.The Sims midlevel look awesome.As for your other point it's too early to tell what the graphics are like.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

But do they act like real life? Sims has been compared to cartoon rather than uncanny valley so I don't see that as true either. Sims 3 was more lifelike in many ways as far as graphics more than any of the other games and the graphics still are at par with many games made today. Sims used to be about simulation, but all I'm hearing is how Sims has become a role playing game to pretend there are things that aren't actually there. If I wanted that I would still be playing Barbies. Honestly can do the same dress up my Barbie with the mobile Kim Kardasian games too and pretend things that aren't there too. It is sad the simulation isn't important to the Sims anymore, thus why I think the name Sims 4 isn't appropriate since it isn't really a simulation anymore. Might as well call it RPG Larping to market the game better, then at least Simmers would be less disappointed and misled by the title of the game and wouldn't have a sequel number attached, problem solved.

Even though this game has character that aren't human, the real time facial recognition software it uses makes it one of the most life like games on the market. Some of the Gurus did play this game and honestly I can see why.
    KYpKXsUPRQLtnqSs3r4a4e-480-80.jpg
    detroit%20become%20human%201.jpg

• Options

But do they act like real life? Sims has been compared to cartoon rather than uncanny valley so I don't see that as true either. Sims 3 was more lifelike in many ways as far as graphics more than any of the other games and the graphics still are at par with many games made today. Sims used to be about simulation, but all I'm hearing is how Sims has become a role playing game to pretend there are things that aren't actually there. If I wanted that I would still be playing Barbies. Honestly can do the same dress up my Barbie with the mobile Kim Kardasian games too and pretend things that aren't there too. It is sad the simulation isn't important to the Sims anymore, thus why I think the name Sims 4 isn't appropriate since it isn't really a simulation anymore. Might as well call it RPG Larping to market the game better, then at least Simmers would be less disappointed and misled by the title of the game and wouldn't have a sequel number attached, problem solved.

Even though this game has character that aren't human, the real time facial recognition software it uses makes it one of the most life like games on the market. Some of the Gurus did play this game and honestly I can see why.
    The art style and graphics of that game (and sounds and animations and voices etc) is so amazing that it doesn’t even feel like uncanny valley for me. The main reason it’s popular though, I really think, is the gameplay and the replayability of the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    The art style and graphics of that game (and sounds and animations and voices etc) is so amazing that it doesn’t even feel like uncanny valley for me. The main reason it’s popular though, I really think, is the gameplay and the replayability of the game.
    True, but you explained what makes a great game, not just a game that is okay to play.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

This is just what I don't want my Sims to look like. It feels creepy to me but as I won't be buying Sims 5 it won't matter to me what they look like in the future. Just don't mess about with what we have now. I have a phobia about controlling people and my Sims are about as far as I want to go.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

This is just what I don't want my Sims to look like. It feels creepy to me but as I won't be buying Sims 5 it won't matter to me what they look like in the future. Just don't mess about with what we have now. I have a phobia about controlling people and my Sims are about as far as I want to go.

Yes indeed, that kind of too-realistic model creeps me out, like that one and FFXV characters, eventhough I still want to play said games but I dont want it for The Sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    True, but you explained what makes a great game, not just a game that is okay to play.
    True.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Too real does not bother me - too cartoony does. But i prefer it somewhere in between. Mobile games like Sims 4 mobile and free time are way too cartoony for me - which will keep me from playing them. It was fine years ago when Zelda amd Mario Brothers first came out on consoles at the beginning of consoles but eventually as more pc games came out I wanted far less cartoon looking - and some middle ground. With default skins i found Sims 2 sims acceptable but just barely. Their eyes looked dead which bothered me.

Sims 3 characters took a lot of work and also user made skins. But i eventually have plenty of character I made which are still on my sims pages i could live with - without pudding faces.

Sims 4 - well still trying to find my happy place with them - but no cc anyway.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Sims 3 sims looked like plastic potatoes and I couldn't enjoy it until I modded it to hell and back. I love the style of sims 4. They aren't getting near uncanny valley like sims 3 was trying at and failing miserably. Seeing vanilla unmodded sims from sims 3 is unsettling and uncomfortable.

Games with a set Style, not just "hyper realism" are much more enjoyable for me, personally.