Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I believe diversity IS important to the game. So many video games, including mobile ones don't have the kind of diversity The Sims has and I'm very thankful for it.

It's a world of a difference playing a game where you can create someone like yourself, friends, and family because the team took out the time to bring those options to the game.

I know some people may not care about this stuff but, eh, opinions?

I hope they continue working towards including those who usually don't get to see themselves in other media. Along with general updates and the such.
  • Options
    Sensi_SifuSensi_Sifu Posts: 16 Member
    I don't like all the restrictions in the game on basic stuff. Like I vist my parents from college and to help out around the house, I can't put my little brothers to sleep in their toddler beds, but I cam give them baths? I would rather put and read them to sleep if I had to choose or just let us help raise immediate family. I'm the only want to control one sim group, and yet be surrounded by family
  • Options
    ArtesyCaseyArtesyCasey Posts: 3 New Member
    toddlers, when the sims 4 was first released there was no toddler life stage just baby to kid and I really liked that.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    toddlers, when the sims 4 was first released there was no toddler life stage just baby to kid and I really liked that.

@ArtesyCasey do you just speed thru the toddler stage now?
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    Well going with unpopular opinions, I think the sims should have a 16+ rating and all the content it would enable.

I never like it when any game, book, movie or such is toned down for children in the sequels, or has such restrictions period. The Sims has lost it's edge completely in Sims 4, after already taking steps back in this regard in Sims 2 and 3.

Children should not be playing this game, this is NOT a game for children. They know Woohoo is sex, and sims can have that with anyone they want. The only drama you can pretty much create in game is with Sims cheating on each other.
    If kids want to play it that's fine, but they should stop catering to it. Up to the parents if they let them play or not, but this is certainly a game that should have a 16+ rating so they could actually put in more of life's challenges and negative traits.

Like more on par with sims 1 and sims medieval, where Sims can drink actual alcohol. In medieval they can even be an alcoholic. Or a gambling addict, or have another fatal flaw.

I want my Sims to really be able to hit rock bottom, that makes it far more satisfying to pull them out of that. Let them smoke, gamble, drink, and label the mood potions as drugs and Sims being able to get addicted to it if you make them drink them often.
    Let sims also be able to kill each other. They can do that in Sims medieval.

I'm just tired of the fact that 95% if not more of Sims players have to deal with toned down content just to pander to the 5%.

@rhalius your comments makes an awful lot of sense.

I started playing TS4 after about 10 years since I last played TS3, and it did strike me how tamer it is compared to what I remembered. (My favourite Sim to play with back then was a firefighter, so his daily routine was all about tackling gas leaks, fires, earthquakes. When on holiday, he'd visit tricky tombs filled with traps and mummies. And occasionally there were meteors crashing in the neighbourhood. It was adrenaline filled. I find TS4 a lot tamer in this sense - not even burglars, no social worker whisking away your children...)

I hadn't realised this was due to the game being now targeted at a younger demographic.

Like you, I'd prefer if the game had a 16+ rating and I wish there were more possibilities in TS4 to create hardship and realistic life struggles in the game. Being an adult player, I am less inclined to playing happy perfect lives, and more drawn to investing emotionally (and timewise) on creating stories, for example, where young sims grow up in a broken family, they are neglected, they parents are abusive and/or struggle with an addiction, where these setbacks have an impact on them, but then you can work from there and see them overcome their struggles. Or maybe sometimes even succumb to them.
    I certainly do not wish to force this sort of drama on other Simmers' gameplay, who might prefer to play in a safer, less tragic way, but I certainly wish there were more options to allow it to happen (especially when you actually want it to happen).

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    Jyotai wrote: »

I like some NSFW mods, but also dislike that some 'official game elements' seem way too NSFW (like Alien forced pregnancy).

- All of that is not 'don't like about Sims' - it's a list of places where I suspect my opinion is not in sync with many others. ie: Unpopular opinions. ;)
    I think that is why I don't care for the 100 baby challenges because well it is forcing pregnancy on other Sims 100 times at least. I wish there was an option to turn story progression off and it is silly they locked the satellite behind a career.

We're playing the lives of fictional characters so I don't mind the idea of having some of them get pregnant. Is the nature of the 'backstory' behind it that bothers me with the alien thing. That's a sexual assault backstory.

It's extremely different things to write a story about 2 people having a child after a consensual encounter (as written for the fiction) vs writing a story about someone being abducted and caged by strangers, then forcibly assaulted and made pregnant before being tossed out the back of a van on the side of the highway...

One of these stories is 'Teen' appropriate, the other might not be so...

And what baffles me most is the number of people that can't seem to tell these two stories apart.

I get that some people want 'rough worlds' for their sims. There are whole mod sites out there dedicated to graphic violence, extreme NSFW content, and so on. I just think those things belong in the realm of mods - not the official product.

That said I've not even looked at the baby challenges so I don't even know what those are.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don’t understand the obsession with eating picnics on the ground. I have been on hundreds of picnics and many camping trips and have never not used a picnic table to eat.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I don’t understand the obsession with eating picnics on the ground. I have been on hundreds of picnics and many camping trips and have never not used a picnic table to eat.

Same. But it looks good in the movies. :D
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Same. But it looks good in the movies. :D

At this point if I sat on a blanket on the ground I might never be able to get up again between my back and my knees, I would possibly have to take up residence in that park upon a blanket.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't like farming but I'm not opposed to others wanting and having the option once the new pack is released having it in the game.
    I don't want to start trouble so I won't go any further with my thoughts. Only that I should be offended and madder than a hornet. I am NOT. Just disappointed. Because the potential was there and the sims team missed a chance to add representation where there was none before.

I hope those who demanded farming understand that the team should have worked on fixing problems in the game and made farming a lesser priority and now we'll probably have a ton more problems as a result. I want things fixed first. I am beginning to believe that wanting everything fixed and not lacklustre is an unpopular opinion as is adding in the representation of those without it.

Post edited by drakharis on
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited July 2021
    Well going with unpopular opinions, I think the sims should have a 16+ rating and all the content it would enable.

I never like it when any game, book, movie or such is toned down for children in the sequels, or has such restrictions period. The Sims has lost it's edge completely in Sims 4, after already taking steps back in this regard in Sims 2 and 3.

Children should not be playing this game, this is NOT a game for children. They know Woohoo is sex, and sims can have that with anyone they want. The only drama you can pretty much create in game is with Sims cheating on each other.
    If kids want to play it that's fine, but they should stop catering to it. Up to the parents if they let them play or not, but this is certainly a game that should have a 16+ rating so they could actually put in more of life's challenges and negative traits.

Like more on par with sims 1 and sims medieval, where Sims can drink actual alcohol. In medieval they can even be an alcoholic. Or a gambling addict, or have another fatal flaw.

I want my Sims to really be able to hit rock bottom, that makes it far more satisfying to pull them out of that. Let them smoke, gamble, drink, and label the mood potions as drugs and Sims being able to get addicted to it if you make them drink them often.

I'm just tired of the fact that 95% if not more of Sims players have to deal with toned down content just to pander to the 5%.

@rhalius There is an overwhelming majority of games that are targeted to the playing style you wish for the Sims. I am actually glad it is not like those other games. And of that makes the game PG-13 well that is alright by me.

Too much killing, rock bottom, and drugs in video games as there is. Sometimes people just want to play a game and not deal with the ilk of life
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I don't like the pollution, garbage woohoo, insects, worms, the cellphone & too much 21st Century stuff in the Sims 4.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2021
    troshalom wrote: »

@rhalius There is an overwhelming majority of games that are targeted to the playing style you wish for the Sims. I am actually glad it is not like those other games. And of that makes the game PG-13 well that is alright by me.

Too much killing, rock bottom, and drugs in video games as there is. Sometimes people just want to play a game and not deal with the ilk of life

Agreed.

You want adult or violent content here - there are mods.

But not every game needs to be Grand Theft Auto meets Witcher as hosted by Larry Flint on the streets of Cyberpunk.

I'm very glad there's a game that I can play and enjoy, that is also played and enjoyed by some of my nieces. I have some mods that they sure better not have - and that's just fine.

We have that 'censored woohoo' because that's just the right amount of addressing a topic without exploring it to make the idea of a 'life simulation' make sense to a tween-teen audience. Anyone here who claims to not have known what woohoo was by the age they stop believing in Santa is fibbing, so they already know the 'Stork' isn't how it all works. But we also don't need the Larry Flint version of woohoo being handed to them. There's a mod for that. Pretty sure the same websites that have that mod also have the mods to let your sims smoke, drink, and kill each other... so yeah - there's a mod for that.

Day later edit: Typo fix to Change "who claims to now have" to "who claims to not have". Oops...
    Post edited by Jyotai on
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    I never said anything about adding content that has not been in the sims before. I just want things back from Sims 1 and Sims Medieval which did have these things.

Which really are not out of place in what could be called an adultery simulator. Cheating on a partner is way worse than having an alcoholic beverage.

And what other games? The Sims never had serious competition in their genre. They should, but they haven't which is crazy. And such a competitor could provide things that the sims series lack, or stopped caring about.
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member

I think the big difference between what @rhalius was talking about, and those other video games with "too much killing, rock bottom, and drugs" that you mention is the latter glorify such violence or take a nihilist, cynical stance on life and everything. While in the Sims it would be just an element of hardship in a setting that is otherwise one of nurturing and compassion, more like a challenge to overcome or ground for resiliency to develop.

My understanding is that only a small minority of Simmers enjoy torturing their Sims and nothing else. Most of us, I believe, cherish them and take joy in raising them and guiding them through their "lives" and see them develop. So if some elements of realistic hardship were added to the game it wouldn't be to suddenly turn TS into GTA or anything like that. It would be to add a little more depth to character development, allowing some sad things to potentially happen in a Sim's life and thus room for Sims to develop in response to such situations.

I agree that it shouldn't become a prominent feature of the game. But I personally wouldn't mind being able to, some times, create some more realistic hardship for my Sims. But my focus on realism is probably due to my advancing age and not necessarily shared by other players.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member

Agreed.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I'm very glad there's a game that I can play and enjoy, that is also played and enjoyed by some of my nieces. I have some mods that they sure better not have - and that's just fine.

My 11-year-old niece got me into The Sims, for that matter. So, likewise (aside from the mods - she's 19 now, and can have any naughty mods she likes).

I disagree with the Simmer you reply to that cartoon woohoo is too adult for kids. More to the point, so do her parents, who bought her the game. In any case, the game is rated for content - and that rating is not applied by the studio, but by independent boards in various jurisdictions. The Sims is, and always has been, rated T, and it's up to parents whether that's appropriate for their particular pre-Teen kids.

I don't think the game is too childish, or too adult. I don't know if that is an unpopular opinion or not, but I sure see comments that seem to feel it's one or the other.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like having Woohoo in the game because it's part of life and it is one aspect of the game that is more adult. I wouldn't want GTA style or anything like the stereotypes of so many other games. Mostly, I like the whimsy and play with a lot of the family-friendly content since a number of the households I play end up as happy families and I enjoy good-natured family play but sometimes I play the adult characters through their lives.

I don't think it should be a case of Woohoo vs. Romance. An update to romantic interactions has been needed for a while. I was asking for it back when I became active on the forum. I figured that they were saving that type of pack because they know it will be very popular when they eventually do it. Until then, there have been little bits and pieces like the Sentiments which are an improvement. I actually like Sentiments better than Lifestyles so far.

We are in need of an overhaul for romance so that's not up for debate. I don't like saying, "We shouldn't have so many places for Woohoo because we need more romantic interactions." No one should think that's a main focus of my playstyle. I'm wanting to see a lot of gameplay, but if they stopped updating the Woohoo, I wouldn't be that happy. I don't think we should be leaving out stuff that is being added when we do need more in that area.

All the same, we do need more in-depth updates for romance like having more types of romantic styles, updates to romantic interactions, more compatibility, more for weddings and generally more ways to be romantic. Without being funny these are aspects of character development or gameplay related to romance which is one of the big themes. (Death being another).

I do think they have been working up to that direction and that there are a lot of areas other than romance but yes, it needs a real update.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Daravi wrote: »

I always thought, that I'm the only one who dislike the 100 baby challenge. For myself this challenge shows me the picture from women who are seen just as birth machines.
    Yeah that too. I mean there is a reverse 100 baby challenge too for men. Still never cared for it myself.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2021

I like some NSFW mods, but also dislike that some 'official game elements' seem way too NSFW (like Alien forced pregnancy).

- All of that is not 'don't like about Sims' - it's a list of places where I suspect my opinion is not in sync with many others. ie: Unpopular opinions. ;)
    I think that is why I don't care for the 100 baby challenges because well it is forcing pregnancy on other Sims 100 times at least. I wish there was an option to turn story progression off and it is silly they locked the satellite behind a career.

We're playing the lives of fictional characters so I don't mind the idea of having some of them get pregnant. Is the nature of the 'backstory' behind it that bothers me with the alien thing. That's a sexual assault backstory.

It's extremely different things to write a story about 2 people having a child after a consensual encounter (as written for the fiction) vs writing a story about someone being abducted and caged by strangers, then forcibly assaulted and made pregnant before being tossed out the back of a van on the side of the highway...

One of these stories is 'Teen' appropriate, the other might not be so...

And what baffles me most is the number of people that can't seem to tell these two stories apart.

I get that some people want 'rough worlds' for their sims. There are whole mod sites out there dedicated to graphic violence, extreme NSFW content, and so on. I just think those things belong in the realm of mods - not the official product.

That said I've not even looked at the baby challenges so I don't even know what those are.

Yeah see that sounds like the 100 baby challenge to me. Alien or not, doing the same thing abducting Sims to have babies. I just view it as the same thing as unpopular as it may be. I don't view it as consensual forcing affairs in the game. That's the thing if the game is fictional, then creating your own narrative of the backstory is the same thing as someone creating a similar one for non-alien Sims. That's the danger of rabbit holes and why I never cared for them, because then the imagination does get into the NSFW storytelling like you are sharing that isn't teen appropriate. Growing up with the Sims 2, aliens had a better backstory. Pretty much all the pre-mades did back then which I think the Sims 4 fails at a lot is storytelling. I do agree what said earlier that the Sims 4 does focus a lot on non-consensual woohoo. Doesn't take a lot of relationship progression to get to that point and even easier with rotational play where Sims have non-consensual woohoo and have babies without your control even more so than alien abductions that you at least don't have forced pregnancies when playing with other households like you do with neighborhood woohoo. Then again the game did start off NSFW too with romantic family relationships with the glitches that happened on early in the game. That was such a mess of bugs. Still happens sometimes with romantic moodlets. I am so thankful that SimGuruBChick was so helpful getting those bugs squished that were occurring in 2015. I don't think the Sims 4 meets teen rating that other games do however. It falls closer to E10 and even that is pushing it. I would put it in E for Everyone because of the rabbit holes even if some adults have a more than colorful imagination but that is on them and not the game. Game itself doesn't show a lot of teen rated content especially when compared to other games in the Simulation genre.

Also fun fact, the social worker beam of light that takes babies away is the same interaction as alien abductions, so makes you wonder what do the social workers do with the babies and children if they use the same alien beam of light? They get abducted by the alien social worker. I think turning off story progression would help a lot because the non-consensual woohoo happens between Sims is extremely common. Why it is fun being a playtester, get to test every aspect of the game without mods.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    StartUpGeniusStartUpGenius Posts: 135 Member
    edited July 2021
    Origin should accept cash payments! I'm so sick of technical issues about paying through Paypal or VISA 😡
    Post edited by StartUpGenius on
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    Speaking of origin, it's downright disgusting that EA has the nerve to STILL ask full price for all Sims 3 content. Most of it is over a decade old.
    It's cheaper to play Sims 4 which is newer, let people play Sims 3 for a price that would be normal for an old game. Stop trying to force them to play the newest thing.

And still EA wonders why they are the most hated publisher around, while they just make it so easy by doing things like this.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I mean there is a reverse 100 baby challenge too for men.

😱
    What on earth is a “reverse 100 baby challenge for men”?

Is this like a dude starting off with 100 babies and getting rid of them one by one?
    Even I could do a challenge like that. I’d be finished within one minute. 😅
  • Options
    Justa_G00fJusta_G00f Posts: 1,075 Member
    I think all deer, raccoons and opossums should be required to wear reflective vests. Funny to think that THIS is my first comment here. lol
    How your Sims builds show your meds' effectiveness

ntq84Hk.jpg
  • Options
    Justa_G00fJusta_G00f Posts: 1,075 Member
    Also, Google's search engine should be built into the next Sims game as the "help" button.
    How your Sims builds show your meds' effectiveness

ntq84Hk.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top