July 27th - Bug Fixes! Catch up on the fixes with the latest patch click here
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the Inside Maxis Livestream HERE today, August 3rd, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
July 30th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

unpopular opinions

Comments

  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 2,652 Member
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

    Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 4,270 Member
    I so agree with you @Onverser . Seasons & Parenthood should've been put in the Base; along with Get to Work, Cats & Dogs,
    Spa Day, Perfect Padio, Muchino Stuff, My First Pet Stuff & Nifty Knitting Stuff. But it is what it is.
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 360 Member
    Here's another one.

    I like a lot of the content that some people complain as being "woke" (they really shouldn't be using that word in this sitch, anyway; "woke" isn't a catch-all term for "progressive" or "politically correct") or pandering. I always thought the whole "non-consensual alien impregnation" and "Dazed Sims with the Hates Children trait will suddenly become okay with Try For Baby" things to be creepy and unsettling. I also still have an issue with one Erratic moodlet (although not really with the trait itself).

    And sure, EA is only advertising its LGBT+ content because it's profitable, so I'm not giving them a ton of credit for it, but it does make me happy that it *is* profitable to do so.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 634 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

    Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I so agree with you @Onverser . Seasons & Parenthood should've been put in the Base; along with Get to Work, Cats & Dogs,
    Spa Day, Perfect Padio, Muchino Stuff, My First Pet Stuff & Nifty Knitting Stuff. But it is what it is.

    Apparently my unpopular opinion of the day is that I neither have nor want Seasons or Parenthood and some other popular DLC, even though I've noticed (before today) that many players seem to believe that pretty much everyone else either has them or wishes they did. Obviously I'm much happier not having such things put into the base game. :lol:

  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 332 Member
    edited June 22
    Onverser wrote: »
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

    Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...

    Interesting because the Packs and content you want as 'free includes' are the very ones that some reviewers like that 'Carl' person rate as high, while the packs of content like Island and DHD kit they rate as low to extremely low.

    I'm on your side in terms of what I desire, but I also don't think any of these are legitimately 'free' as both types require a lot of developer work. If we were paying a monthly subscription it would be one thing, but this constant expectation that software engineers should works for free drives me nuts.

    Post edited by Jyotai on
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 332 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    I like realistic graphics and hope the next game is more realistic and looks less like a colorful childrens doll house

    I'm the opposite. I much prefer the graphics of the Sims 2 and 4.

    I never got it, but everytime I look at it something about sims 3 just bothers me. I need to look again, maybe it's just one tiny step too far for me into Uncanny Valley.

    I likewise prefer cartoony graphics. To me, the visual look of Sims 4 is perfect. So perfect the moment I saw it when I finally looked at Sims again during that April sale on Steam it just looked like "the true game I remembered" even though when I now look back at the original sims they look radically different. This cartoony version just feels 'right'.


    .
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 195 Member
    I'm really enjoying DHD.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 332 Member
    edited June 22
    Here's another one.

    I like a lot of the content that some people complain as being "woke" (they really shouldn't be using that word in this sitch, anyway; "woke" isn't a catch-all term for "progressive" or "politically correct") or pandering. I always thought the whole "non-consensual alien impregnation" and "Dazed Sims with the Hates Children trait will suddenly become okay with Try For Baby" things to be creepy and unsettling. I also still have an issue with one Erratic moodlet (although not really with the trait itself).

    And sure, EA is only advertising its LGBT+ content because it's profitable, so I'm not giving them a ton of credit for it, but it does make me happy that it *is* profitable to do so.

    I hate how radical extremists and terrorist groups have been trying to rebrand 'woke' as something bad. A term that basically means agreeing that I have a right to have been born, be alive, have a happy life, and speak truth to me story / history.

    That noted... if all of the LGBT+ stuff in Sims was just about profit they could 'get away' with a lot less. A lot of companies just put out a color scheme one day a year and get cheered for that. Sims seems to actually care. And when they did the updated skin tones, I could on the one hand get all over them for not having done that originally - but on the other hand when they did it they did it in detail and with consulting people in my community - and have branched out to have such diversity in hair and tones and faces for so many different ethnic groups.

    It's near on 20 years old now, and in Second Life I still can't make a decent Pacific Islander or South American Indian - yet while cartoony these are common cast members in my townies. Sims is just pumping them out at random. No need for me to struggle for hours to make someone who doesn't look like they came from a tiny slice of some specific county in England... The game even randomly gives me a planet full of diversity in BOTH ethnicity and gender-identity.

    Many other brands just cart out a pile of white LGBT+ folks and call that diversity. And while that is a community that needs care, that's not quite what diversity means. Diversity means a whole picture.

    Sims seems to be going the extra mile, repeatedly, and not just one day a year.



    Also yes - I don't like the whole alien sexual assault / forced pregnancy angle. I feel that's aged very poorly... I get that people want some bad things capable in a sim's life - but why the obsession with wanting forced breeding?


    .
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,021 Member
    As someone who loves to build in the game (I’m 50/50 build and live mode) I hate the concept and gameplay of the DHD pack. I see no reason to go into my builds and change them. Everyone keeps saying it’s a pack for builders. I disagree as a true builder you build your own builds so this pack will add very little to your “gameplay”. What I think people are mistaking building for is renovating the pre-made builds which for me is very different from building.
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    I don’t like sims 3 and don’t think it is better than sims 4. I prefer sims 2, 1 and 4 any day. I also don’t think sims 3 looks realistic at all. The sims and worlds do not look real to me but just kind of gross and ugly🤷‍♀️
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 89 Member
    I expect this to be a very unpopular opinion but... I wish male Sims had a little bulge in their crotch. o:) Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about something too revealing, or sexualised or vulgar. Just a little hint as a reminder we all know men have something down there and it's perfectly natural and normal for them to. It makes me cringe to see them in their current sanded down design, I feel like they were horribly mutilated or something. :'(

    This might be unpopular with some, but oh... definitely not with me. ;) So much so that I've downloaded CC boxer briefs and pants that add a bulge. You know, because I want my men to look like men and not Ken dolls.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 477 Member
    I also don't have Seasons and am not interested in it.
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 360 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    I hate how radical extremists and terrorist groups have been trying to rebrand 'woke' as something bad. A term that basically means agreeing that I have a right to have been born, be alive, have a happy life, and speak truth to me story / history.

    That noted... if all of the LGBT+ stuff in Sims was just about profit they could 'get away' with a lot less. A lot of companies just put out a color scheme one day a year and get cheered for that. Sims seems to actually care. And when they did the updated skin tones, I could on the one hand get all over them for not having done that originally - but on the other hand when they did it they did it in detail and with consulting people in my community - and have branched out to have such diversity in hair and tones and faces for so many different ethnic groups.

    It's near on 20 years old now, and in Second Life I still can't make a decent Pacific Islander or South American Indian - yet while cartoony these are common cast members in my townies. Sims is just pumping them out at random. No need for me to struggle for hours to make someone who doesn't look like they came from a tiny slice of some specific county in England... The game even randomly gives me a planet full of diversity in BOTH ethnicity and gender-identity.

    Many other brands just cart out a pile of white LGBT+ folks and call that diversity. And while that is a community that needs care, that's not quite what diversity means. Diversity means a whole picture.

    Sims seems to be going the extra mile, repeatedly, and not just one day a year.



    Also yes - I don't like the whole alien sexual assault / forced pregnancy angle. I feel that's aged very poorly... I get that people want some bad things capable in a sim's life - but why the obsession with wanting forced breeding?


    .

    This is true! I am glad that the Sims team is indeed going the extra mile, as you put it, and it's very possible their motives are better than I assume. I've become quite cynical, I'm afraid. :s
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,234 Member
    I expect this to be a very unpopular opinion but... I wish male Sims had a little bulge in their crotch. o:) Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about something too revealing, or sexualised or vulgar. Just a little hint as a reminder we all know men have something down there and it's perfectly natural and normal for them to. It makes me cringe to see them in their current sanded down design, I feel like they were horribly mutilated or something. :'(

    I actually agree with this. We can customise boob size, so why not crotch bulge?
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 2,652 Member
    edited June 23
    Jyotai wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

    Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...

    Interesting because the Packs and content you want as 'free includes' are the very ones that some reviewers like that 'Carl' person rate as high, while the packs of content like Island and DHD kit they rate as low to extremely low.

    I'm on your side in terms of what I desire, but I also don't think any of these are legitimately 'free' as both types require a lot of developer work. If we were paying a monthly subscription it would be one thing, but this constant expectation that software engineers should works for free drives me nuts.

    Fair enough if the base game is free, but it isn't. We paid for the base game, so wanting what we paid for to be more in depth is not "expecting developers to work for free"... I mean these things should've been packaged into the base game on release rather than being left from the base and sold for more at a later date (seasons was originally supposed to be in the base game but it was cut in 2 for time reasons)
  • blur0seblur0se Posts: 47 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

    Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...

    Interesting because the Packs and content you want as 'free includes' are the very ones that some reviewers like that 'Carl' person rate as high, while the packs of content like Island and DHD kit they rate as low to extremely low.

    I'm on your side in terms of what I desire, but I also don't think any of these are legitimately 'free' as both types require a lot of developer work. If we were paying a monthly subscription it would be one thing, but this constant expectation that software engineers should works for free drives me nuts.

    "expectation that software developers should work for free" this is not necessary for certain content to be released for free. someone had to work on the holiday celebration pack, right? and the updates for Lunar New Year, Central/South American foods, etc.? let's be real, the CEO of EAxis is getting most of the profit out of greed, as with any other CEO, no matter the price or quality of the product at hand. the devs do great work and should absolutely be compensated! I think it says more about our pessimism or lack of imagination as a society that many people automatically interpret selected free content as no pay for those who actually create the content.

    To stay on topic with unpopular opinions: The Sims has a christian (esp. american WASP) hegemony problem. They only include winter holidays to a great extent because of proximity to xmas. harvestfest, love day, and the flower bunny all have direct parallels to christian or christian-derived holidays. I wouldn't be nearly as irked if these holidays weren't the default on the in-game calendar. I delete them almost every time and have to recreate more appropriate holidays for my Sims. I think we should be able to save calendars and export them to different save files, maybe using the Gallery. I have other criticisms with this same hegemony point, but the shoehorning of holidays is my biggest pet peeve, since I am on PC and can use cc/mods. Console players can't even download cc clothing or ritual objects pertaining to their religious/spiritual persuasion! "No religion in Sims" shouldn't mean thinly-veiled analogs to christianity are allowed, it should be all or nothing for even a modicum of consistency.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 265 Member
    There's also the thing that Sims 4 was launched with less content than Sims 2 and 3, even excluding some items that even Sims 1 had in the base game like hot tubs and pools.

    And that each big expansion they release also has less content than big expansions used to have for past games. We get very little for our money in comparison, well aside from the crazy overpriced sims 3 store.

    So I would say substantial base game updates wouldn't be out of the ordinary. While Sims 3 came straight out of the gate with new content that Sims 2 added in expansions like cars, bikes, a downtown area and more, Sims 4 gave us nothing that required an expansion in previous games. They even gave us so much less.

    They still owe us like 50 new traits and 2 extra trait slots just to be somewhat on par with that to Sims 3.
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 331 Member
    Sims3 was my least favorite iteration because it was SO LAGGY and would crash when I had all packs installed.
  • TorieTorie Posts: 57 Member
    Sims3 was my least favorite iteration because it was SO LAGGY and would crash when I had all packs installed.
    It is very true, unfortunately.

    I actually love the Sims 3, it has such an interesting and unique gameplay, but the freezes and lags make the game practically unenjoyable.

    Oh and also, maybe it's unpopular too: the Sims 3 graphics and especially sims themselves look like shiii.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 265 Member
    Sims 3 got better with age though, on modern computers it runs pretty great.
    It does take a little effort to make an attractive Sim in Sims 3, but unlike Sims 4, you can make men in it that don't look like a Ken doll.

    And traits matter, every Sim is not the same, there is so much to do in the game and it is more challenging. Sims also do what you tell them to do and can make lovers or enemies on their own. In Sims 4 they never do anything interesting on their own and whims are a huge downgrade of wishes and are barely affected by traits.

    I'm playing Sims 3 again recently, with four adult Sims in a house. When there was a fire, the evil sim got the wish to see the burned to death ghost of the house mate she liked the least.
    And while one sim was flirting on her own at the park, the guy I send to the gym was now coaching a fat sim after he finished on the threadmill himself. Never need to tell him anything at the Gym, just send him there and he'll work out, shower and pee and I send him back later.
    And during this I had another Sim read up on alchemy at the potions store while the fourth Sim was at home fixing the shower.

    In Sims 4, my sims barely ever leave the house because there's a load screen. I really love how Sims 3 is a living world. You see the townies live their lives and can just send one Sim to buy a book or play music in the park and watch the others at home.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,151 Member
    I feel like TS3 vs TS4 is like chocolate vs vanilla ice cream. People have their preferences. There are some things that TS3 did really well. Indeed, I think that if you can, it makes a lot of sense to keep playing with games that you have. It'd be wrong to think that there aren't things that TS4 does well. When I started playing TS4, I was originally going to go back to TS3. I remember briefly playing the TS3 basegame and then deciding to try 4. I found that there are things that I like about TS4 and now I have a fun game going. That doesn't diminish someone for playing TS3.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 859 Member
    Torie wrote: »
    Sims3 was my least favorite iteration because it was SO LAGGY and would crash when I had all packs installed.
    It is very true, unfortunately.

    I actually love the Sims 3, it has such an interesting and unique gameplay, but the freezes and lags make the game practically unenjoyable.

    Oh and also, maybe it's unpopular too: the Sims 3 graphics and especially sims themselves look like shiii.

    This ain't even an opinion, this is a straight FACT :D
    2020-09-20-2.jpg

    Wilsonnnnnnn
  • NausNaus Posts: 390 Member
    Unpopular opinion: The Sims 4 could be a good game if they revamped Sims' personalities from scratch. The Sims 4 has many issues, but Sims lacking unique personalities is the biggest issue in my opinion. No matter how many improvements they make, or how much content they add, The Sims 4 won't ever be a GOOD game until they fix the God-awful personality system they made. They need to start from scratch, because minor tweaks aren't enough. Get rid of the emotions system as well and bring back whims and add fears.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,186 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: The Sims 4 could be a good game if they revamped Sims' personalities from scratch. The Sims 4 has many issues, but Sims lacking unique personalities is the biggest issue in my opinion. No matter how many improvements they make, or how much content they add, The Sims 4 won't ever be a GOOD game until they fix the God-awful personality system they made. They need to start from scratch, because minor tweaks aren't enough. Get rid of the emotions system as well and bring back whims and add fears.

    I agree and also another huge thing that is lacking for me is the game having no direction for me as the player. My gameplay style requires a proper wants system, I need to know what my sims want in their lives and sadly the broken whim system is not cutting it. :/
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top