Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The New Sims 4 rebrand: my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Personally I like the blue because first of all, it happens to be my favorite color :D but more importantly, because I really disliked how white the previous version was. The loading screens especially really hurt my eyes. It felt empty and lifeless. I am all for more color. I also really like the retro vibes I get from the new design, and the way it reminds me of TS2 and TS3.
    As for the new sims I agree they could have gone for a little more age diversity, it is a little bit ridiculous but I am still happy to see new faces as I was getting tired of the old ones.

The one thing I really, really dislike though is the new menu, with half the page taken by which packs you have bought at that moment in time. Who cares? Is that really the menu that is supposed to give us an itch to play?! Really ?
    And I am disappointed they got rid of different colors for each expension pack, that gave them more personality and made them more distinct from each other. That new menu really isn't appealing to me.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    All I can say is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    loutredor wrote: »
    Personally I like the blue because first of all, it happens to be my favorite color :D but more importantly, because I really disliked how white the previous version was. The loading screens especially really hurt my eyes. It felt empty and lifeless. I am all for more color. I also really like the retro vibes I get from the new design, and the way it reminds me of TS2 and TS3.
    As for the new sims I agree they could have gone for a little more age diversity, it is a little bit ridiculous but I am still happy to see new faces as I was getting tired of the old ones.

The one thing I really, really dislike though is the new menu, with half the page taken by which packs you have bought at that moment in time. Who cares? Is that really the menu that is supposed to give us an itch to play?! Really ?
    And I am disappointed they got rid of different colors for each expension pack, that gave them more personality and made them more distinct from each other. That new menu really isn't appealing to me.

I like the blue, but I don't like how it's just a solid color. It makes it look cheap and outdated. Reminds me of the windows 98 default wallpaper. Not to mention the plumbob looks like it belongs in a flash game.

Windows_95_Desktop_screenshot.png

They should have done something like in TS2:

Capture8.png

It's much more pleasing to the eyes and much more dynamic, it's not a solid color. I also liked how it showed the sim you were travelling with or how you were travelling. Amazing how even the TS2 loading screens were more advanced than TS4 ones lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    loutredor wrote: »

I like the blue, but I don't like how it's just a solid color. It makes it look cheap and outdated. Reminds me of the windows 98 default wallpaper. Not to mention the plumbob looks like it belongs in a flash game.

Windows_95_Desktop_screenshot.png

They should have done something like in TS2:

Capture8.png

It's much more pleasing to the eyes and much more dynamic, it's not a solid color. I also liked how it showed the sim you were travelling with or how you were travelling. Amazing how even the TS2 loading screens were more advanced than TS4 ones lol

I may be wrong but I think that is exactly what they were going for, something a bit retro looking. But yeah it is definitely a bit tacky.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    The new design can already be seen in German stores. Today at my local retailer:

KglQ88F.jpg
    Wow, that was fast!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

So the new one has more diversity in race and lifestyles....but eliminated age diversity. That's... Yeah. :(

Go marketing team. :|

Clearly the old lady died. >:)
    You clearly think differently. I like that. 👍🏻
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I really liked the clean white look that we had. Looking forward though what gets added in though, it looks like they made a new free stuff icon for it.

No new free stuff icons.

I have my game open though and don't have that portrait looking icon.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    I really liked the clean white look that we had. Looking forward though what gets added in though, it looks like they made a new free stuff icon for it.

No new free stuff icons.

its the sims mobile photoframe thing
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

No new free stuff icons.

It's from the dynamic portrait that we get, when we log into The Sims mobile for the first time. I actually thought we had the icon in game but it doesn't appear there, but it's from that.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I’m fine with most of it, but I have a problem with the bright blue. I have sensory sensitivities and I can’t look at it without my eyes and head hurting. I really want to try out the new CAS stories as I personally dislike creating sims and this will help me, but I don’t think I’ll be able to play with that blue or else I’ll have a massive headache before even getting into live mode.
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It was fine as it was. I liked it.
    I don't like it now.

They obviously want younger simmers.
    No older sims in that crowd. The only one that seems to have some character is the one with the pink hair.
    The other sims just seem... blah.

The new box art is making me glad I pay for digital now.
    It's horrific looking, like something a freshman graphic art student would come up with midterm.
    The colors make me nauseous and the new plumbob looks silly. Facets don't work like that.
    My confidence in The Sims Studio's choices has fallen lower again.
    whattheplum.jpg

It look so generic and like place-holder art.
    The renders look like they have nothing to do with the backgrounds at all.

Please don't wreck University.

Another thing I just noticed seeing these boxarts. I'm looking at Parenthood. Funny how they try to mislead their customers. Hmm.. does TS4 really have that kind of distinguishable teenagers? Don’t think so.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    How do we know they're all Young Adults? Teens and Young Adults look the same in TS4. :lol:

I don't mind getting new cover art and new characters on the box - it does not affect me at all. These are my biggest problems with the redesign:

- The renders are really low quality on the new base game box art.
    - The main menu no longer has the buttons with one click to load a previous game, start a new game, or continue playing where you left off. Why remove functionality? That was the best thing they ever did for the main menu. I hope this isn't the final design and that those buttons are added back in.
    - I have chronic daily migraine so I was not a fan of the white loading screen, but these blue stripes are just as bad for me. My game loads pretty fast so at least I won't have to look at it for long, but ugh.
    - The new plumbob is ugly.
    - The amount of space dedicated to trying to get you to buy more packs is a form of self-parody at this point.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    How do we know they're all Young Adults? Teens and Young Adults look the same in TS4. :lol:

I don't mind getting new cover art and new characters on the box - it does not affect me at all. These are my biggest problems with the redesign:

- The renders are really low quality on the new base game box art.
    - The main menu no longer has the buttons with one click to load a previous game, start a new game, or continue playing where you left off. Why remove functionality? That was the best thing they ever did for the main menu. I hope this isn't the final design and that those buttons are added back in.
    - I have chronic daily migraine so I was not a fan of the white loading screen, but these blue stripes are just as bad for me. My game loads pretty fast so at least I won't have to look at it for long, but ugh.
    - The new plumbob is ugly.
    - The amount of space dedicated to trying to get you to buy more packs is a form of self-parody at this point.

They said that the load button wasn’t there because they basically downloaded it for a fresh start and had no previous save files to load from. It would be there if there is a save to load from.
  • Options
    CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    The new design can already be seen in German stores. Today at my local retailer:

KglQ88F.jpg

Ahh. That German name of The Sims 4 always makes me laugh.

Yes, it's almost as funny as the Norwegian stuff pack title "TS3 Full Fart" :D .

-spits out drink- WHAT? lmao

lmao omg!! that is hilarious, I needed that.
  • Options
    AntonAnton Posts: 35 Member
    I hate all currently existing townies because they just look plain and rushed imo. I like the new ones a lot, though. Hope they redo all the townies and not just base game (Windenburg and City Living townies are awful)
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    Anton wrote: »
    I hate all currently existing townies because they just look plain and rushed imo. I like the new ones a lot, though. Hope they redo all the townies and not just base game (Windenburg and City Living townies are awful)

They're keeping all the old townies and adding the new ones in. We will also get the new hairstyles the new townie(s) have. I hope they created them with the new CAS feature they were talking about.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    seems interesting. I may even like it when I actually see it all on my screen.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    How come there's no Black/Latin guy in this "rebrand" and "redesign"?

I don't feel represented anymore.

Well, there are two black women, so that's a start.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »

More importantly how are there only 3 guys out of 9 sims in the render? Feminism much? It should be 50/50

The world isn't 50% White, 50% Non-White, either, but that's what we see in the picture - and that is assuming the gal in green is Asian. ;)

I am told that The Sims is a "girls' game". I don't buy that rationale, but it may be what is at play here.

So what? You want to put the most representation possible on your cover. That’s what the previous cover offered. In terms of personality as well. All of the new sims in the cover look like they all have the same personality ehich is actually fitting for TS4.

yeah cause people who look alike ARE alike, absolutely! All white people are the same, all men are the same.

Not all white people are the same. I'm the black sheep of my entire school and I'm most definitely white. That's racist.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »

More importantly how are there only 3 guys out of 9 sims in the render? Feminism much? It should be 50/50

The world isn't 50% White, 50% Non-White, either, but that's what we see in the picture - and that is assuming the gal in green is Asian. ;)

I am told that The Sims is a "girls' game". I don't buy that rationale, but it may be what is at play here.

So what? You want to put the most representation possible on your cover. That’s what the previous cover offered. In terms of personality as well. All of the new sims in the cover look like they all have the same personality ehich is actually fitting for TS4.

yeah cause people who look alike ARE alike, absolutely! All white people are the same, all men are the same.

Not all white people are the same. I'm the black sheep of my entire school and I'm most definitely white. That's racist.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.

@nerdfashion - I think you missed the sarcasm of Simpkin's post... :sweat_smile: They actually agree with you.

Still, would have been good to have a more diverse array of people. Of course nobody thinks all white people are the same, but the Sims is about representing yourself so the more, the merrier.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2019
    Personally I love the new render and hate everything else. To be honest the sims they had in the old render were rather meh when you downloaded them in game, bland with very cartoonish faces. Just like newer premades are much better than the base game ones, these too look much better than the old ones.

I'd love to throw these new ones into the gene pool :)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Rainoa92Rainoa92 Posts: 20 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I’m fine with most of it, but I have a problem with the bright blue. I have sensory sensitivities and I can’t look at it without my eyes and head hurting. I really want to try out the new CAS stories as I personally dislike creating sims and this will help me, but I don’t think I’ll be able to play with that blue or else I’ll have a massive headache before even getting into live mode.

i have that same problem but with white screens always felt sims site and game had to much white on site & game menu
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I'm sorry but I don't see what the big deal is about these changes. I mean the previous games have always been similar in color, that's the sims colors, blue and green. it's a nice change I think and way better than what it had before. I'm sorry so many people hate this but I like it. So I'm saying thank you, Sims team for giving me color instead of bleach-white backgrounds.
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    edited July 2019
    I love the new layout of the front cover I just wish they'd add different ages, for example, a young adult holding a toddler or a child and elder somewhere in the cover, that way it represents all players and not just those who play with young adults.
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    I'm sorry but I don't see what the big deal is about these changes. I mean the previous games have always been similar in color, that's the sims colors, blue and green. it's a nice change I think and way better than what it had before. I'm sorry so many people hate this but I like it. So I'm saying thank you, Sims team for giving me color instead of bleach-white backgrounds.

I do like that they went back to blue. I just wish the blue looked better if that makes sense.

My main problem is with the sims on the cover anyway.
    keep on keepin' on