Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Oh wow, nice catch :D I would've never noticed that.

Maybe they thought that would have a been just a tat too obvious? :joy:

yeah I'm very into patterns, thank you!

maybe... I wouldn't put it past EA to do something like this, maybe the cropped the rendered image off too short and had to 'hide' it which is why they choose to go this route? idk, I really wish they would/could comment about this because this is sketchy as plum.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Techbilt wrote: »
    RUmor has it that Paradox is working on something but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ its just a rumor and until they officially say something I'm taking it with a boulder of salt.

Rumor has said that for years since mid Sims3 even - good luck with that. Besides they really need to grow a whole lot bigger to make the Sims....

However, they put Sims City 2013 to shame.

Yes they did and with a small group of people.

Colossal Order ( a Finnish studio) made their city one but that is what colossal does is make city building packs - Paradox was just their publisher. So it is no surprise they could make a decent city living pack. Besides even Sim City games had a small team - they used the Emeryville studio for Sim Cities - it has always been a small studio.

Colossal Order does not belong to Paradox as I said - Paradox was always just one of their publishers. Colossal Order has said for a long time they would love doing a Sim type game but even they admitted it is way too big a game for them and oddly Paradox's CEO confirmed it was too big for them.

Many of us simmers went over to Colossal Orders pages way back when they first finished their city building game and they were all gungho about doing a Sims - many of us honestly thought they would as they sure sounded like they wanted to - but then the Paradox CEO announced they would not be doing it after all - that they'd need to get a whole lot bigger first.

You can still find those conversations online many of us had with the Colossal Order team.....

Here was the end of that posted here on the Sims boards when Paradox said they were not making a Sims game -

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/821662/paradox-has-no-plans-on-releasing-a-sim-game-confirmed

Of course that info was from 2015 and now Paradox hired Rod Humble and Rod did indicate last year he is interested in doing a Sim like game under Pardox's new studio - but whether or not he will be given the go ahead through Paradox - I have not heard any more on it since Rod said that - at least not that I know of.

I just searched and all I see from there is new world on MMO's and RPGs - not my idea of a sims game. Something called World of Darkness MMO.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

Oh wow, nice catch :D I would've never noticed that.

Maybe they thought that would have a been just a tat too obvious? :joy:

yeah I'm very into patterns, thank you!

maybe... I wouldn't put it past EA to do something like this, maybe the cropped the rendered image off too short and had to 'hide' it which is why they choose to go this route? idk, I really wish they would/could comment about this because this is sketchy as plum.

Wouldn't that be something huh. I kinda wish they could as well, but alas. :(
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    There might just be a cover art mix-up though.
    I am in the game now and Get Famous also has the Game Pack format, but the store site has the Expansion Pack format.
    pkg.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    There might just be a cover art mix-up though.
    I am in the game now and Get Famous also has the Game Pack format, but the store site has the Expansion Pack format.
    pkg.jpg

I noticed that too. Perhaps it's a new EP cover? o.O
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying IL was supposed to be a GP. Is there solid proof of this? Just wondering.

The cover that was originally shown for this pack used the game pack design, but it was recolored to yellow from blue. That’s not concrete proof, but it’s very out of the ordinary since expansion packs do not share that design at all. There is also an expansion design for IL, but there’s no explanation for why the other GP version exists other than it was originally a game pack and that’s why that cover version was what Origin used before they changed it to the expansion design.

There’s other tidbits that I’ve read and pieced together myself about the pack. Supposedly some of the game changers were able to place rental lots in the world, which is impossible for residential worlds and is similarly impossible in the final release of the pack. Vacation destinations have always came from game packs, and destinations are the only worlds that can have rental lots. That again isn’t concrete proof of anything, but it’s not normal. We haven’t had any other residential worlds have that ability, and to me that says this world wasn’t originally a residential world which is why they were still able to do it when they got their pre-release copies.

ETA: IIRC one of the very early leaks for this pack actually used the blue color for the logo instead of the yellow, and didn’t necessarily list the pack as expansion which led people to question if it was a game pack. I remember it confused a lot of players because they were expecting an EP and not a GP but now it seems to make a lot more sense.

Actually, you can still place rental lots in Sulani. They just don't function as rentals.

I didn’t know that. Still though, that shouldn’t be possible so for me it says this world has some programming for vacationing that ultimately went unused when they changed it from a destination world to a residential one.

Yeah your points were definitely interesting and, also, the first time I got what I felt was a decent explanation for why some people think it was supposed to be a GP (beyond just not liking it). Do you still have a link to those initial leaks where it had a GP cover? I'd be curious to see it.

Anyway, I still enjoy IL but I wouldn't be totally surprised by this. I actually always thought we'd get a tropical and alpine vacation destination, so GPs instead of complete expansions. It's absolutely the impression they created with JA and OR. Personally, I think it has more to do than JA, but I'm not sure how subjective that opinion is.

I must say that if they decided midway to make it an EP, that I'm kind of wondering why they didn't just take a little more time for it. They could've still teased it at E3 without a set release date, after all. I also wonder why they would've made the switch at all? Guess we'll never really know the finer details of this story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/c3e9q3/when_they_decided_last_minute_to_charge_us_the/ Here's a Reddit thread where I heard about it the first time.
    The relevant picture:

k0yxdutc4r531.png

Huh. That does look a little suspicious.

No wonder it felt like a game pack to me, lol! :lol: (And I say it as someone who still love elements of it.)

Look like someone did not get the memo on that one and forgot to change it to how an EP supposed to look and I am sorry this does not put EA/Maxis into an good light and no matter what one believe this will go down in Sims infamy to the end as to what it meant was truly meant to be. For me it does not matter as I am not going to pay full price on any of their packs and I do this to other companies as well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @Goldmoldar - did you see CK213's post that shows the same thing happened with Get Famous, though? And then Sigzy05 confirms that it too has a game-pack format when you look at the --icons?-- from in game, but an EP format at the store. Unless GF was first a game pack that got changed to an EP, it seems more likely that there's simply an inconsistency between the websites.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Tiarella wrote: »
    @Goldmoldar - did you see CK213's post that shows the same thing happened with Get Famous, though? And then Sigzy05 confirms that it too has a game-pack format when you look at the --icons?-- from in game, but an EP format at the store. Unless GF was first a game pack that got changed to an EP, it seems more likely that there's simply an inconsistency between the websites.

Oh I saw it but still it opens cans of worms and an lot of questions regardless of what happened I never pay full price anyway. Also it shows lack of proofing reading on EA/Maxis putting out it's marketing. Even if it was an mistake on thier part, not everybody going to see it that way and just another controversial mark being made and all versions had their controversial moments but Sims 4 is outpacing them. Anothing think with that other picture thier is one difference if it was an actual marketing page IL is listed as an GP and an EP and I would not know how to explain that for the cat is out of the bag. Do I think EA/Maxis is innocent for an mistake like that I would have to say no for now this add more to the fire sadly and it may strenghten some people suspicion about them.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    VoltronVoltron Posts: 290 Member
    I couldn’t agree more and if I had to chip in with my own views, I would much rather copy and paste the whole thing because you’ve pretty much said everything that I’ve been feeling about this EP. This game really is EA’s cash-cow to fund their other games and it makes me so sad - The Sims 4 makes me feel betrayed.
    TBImXnt.gif
  • Options
    Voltron wrote: »
    I couldn’t agree more and if I had to chip in with my own views, I would much rather copy and paste the whole thing because you’ve pretty much said everything that I’ve been feeling about this EP. This game really is EA’s cash-cow to fund their other games and it makes me so sad - The Sims 4 makes me feel betrayed.

Yes and EA/Maxis not the only company that does this as there are others.
  • Options
    Everyone keeps saying IL was supposed to be a GP. Is there solid proof of this? Just wondering.

The cover that was originally shown for this pack used the game pack design, but it was recolored to yellow from blue. That’s not concrete proof, but it’s very out of the ordinary since expansion packs do not share that design at all. There is also an expansion design for IL, but there’s no explanation for why the other GP version exists other than it was originally a game pack and that’s why that cover version was what Origin used before they changed it to the expansion design.

There’s other tidbits that I’ve read and pieced together myself about the pack. Supposedly some of the game changers were able to place rental lots in the world, which is impossible for residential worlds and is similarly impossible in the final release of the pack. Vacation destinations have always came from game packs, and destinations are the only worlds that can have rental lots. That again isn’t concrete proof of anything, but it’s not normal. We haven’t had any other residential worlds have that ability, and to me that says this world wasn’t originally a residential world which is why they were still able to do it when they got their pre-release copies.

ETA: IIRC one of the very early leaks for this pack actually used the blue color for the logo instead of the yellow, and didn’t necessarily list the pack as expansion which led people to question if it was a game pack. I remember it confused a lot of players because they were expecting an EP and not a GP but now it seems to make a lot more sense.

Actually, you can still place rental lots in Sulani. They just don't function as rentals.

I didn’t know that. Still though, that shouldn’t be possible so for me it says this world has some programming for vacationing that ultimately went unused when they changed it from a destination world to a residential one.

Lol apparently it isn't just in there once, but twice?

Q2EmOal.png
  • Options
    Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    @Writin_Reg We haven't heard much from Rod is because he's keeping it under wraps for now (said so in the podcast). Whatever you heard doesn't belong to him, since what he's working on is in the very beginning stages. You can listen to the podcast here: www. youtube. com / watch?v=QVOqSJABqGM
  • Options
    Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    @Writin_Reg And what I mean by "whatever you heard" I mean the MMO/RPG.
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    @knuckleduster LGR on Twitter "liked" a new video about the philosophy and start of The Sims (1). The books Will Wright read to get the principles right is impressive. (Sponsored with the advert in the middle which upsets the mood a bit. It brings back great memories of the music and my first playing it in 2000/1?

Thank you very much for sharing this!
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    RUmor has it that Paradox is working on something but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ its just a rumor and until they officially say something I'm taking it with a boulder of salt.

Rumor has said that for years since mid Sims3 even - good luck with that. Besides they really need to grow a whole lot bigger to make the Sims....

However, they put Sims City 2013 to shame.

Yes they did and with a small group of people.

Colossal Order ( a Finnish studio) made their city one but that is what colossal does is make city building packs - Paradox was just their publisher. So it is no surprise they could make a decent city living pack. Besides even Sim City games had a small team - they used the Emeryville studio for Sim Cities - it has always been a small studio.

Colossal Order does not belong to Paradox as I said - Paradox was always just one of their publishers. Colossal Order has said for a long time they would love doing a Sim type game but even they admitted it is way too big a game for them and oddly Paradox's CEO confirmed it was too big for them.

Many of us simmers went over to Colossal Orders pages way back when they first finished their city building game and they were all gungho about doing a Sims - many of us honestly thought they would as they sure sounded like they wanted to - but then the Paradox CEO announced they would not be doing it after all - that they'd need to get a whole lot bigger first.

You can still find those conversations online many of us had with the Colossal Order team.....

Here was the end of that posted here on the Sims boards when Paradox said they were not making a Sims game -

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/821662/paradox-has-no-plans-on-releasing-a-sim-game-confirmed

Of course that info was from 2015 and now Paradox hired Rod Humble and Rod did indicate last year he is interested in doing a Sim like game under Pardox's new studio - but whether or not he will be given the go ahead through Paradox - I have not heard any more on it since Rod said that - at least not that I know of.

I just searched and all I see from there is new world on MMO's and RPGs - not my idea of a sims game. Something called World of Darkness MMO.

Thanks for the info.

I really don't care about the size of the teams developing this.

I feel for the developers.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, Ocean Quigley himself mentions what we could have had without interference from the publisher.

I have to be honest - I'm really just looking forward to Will Wright's Proxi, at this point. I have all previous versions of the sims and I want to see what he has coming up - because he gets it.

Watched Mr. Wright's Masterclass on Game Design and wish this was required watching for game development AND publishers.

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member

Q2EmOal.png

They need to patch this in.
  • Options

Q2EmOal.png

They need to patch this in.

They totally do. I don't even see how that would be so difficult to do, but maybe that's due to my general lack of coding skills. :Joy: Still, it would be enough if every world you place rentals in shows up in the vacation destination menu. Hotels would be better of course, but this would be a good start.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    This is definitely the worst EP so far. Sulani is beautiful, possibly the most beautiful world we have in Sims 4, but besides the world, what does the pack adds in terms of gameplay? Absolutely nothing. I mean, ok we can swim on the ocean, but it's quite likely this will be extended to all the worlds on a free update, just as it happened with the update for Seasons on Sims 3. Mermaids are a complete joke, the conservationist carrer is fun, but it's not an actual hands on carrer like acting in GF. As the title says, it only adds Island Living, which is not enough for a expansion pack. If this was The Sims 3, this would've been a store world. Island Paradise was completely buggy, but it added all IL adds + resort management, scuba diving and house boats, and we don't even have one of these features this time around. This should be a GP. It's the first EP for The Sims 4 to disappoint me.

For me CL comes in at first for worst EP and GT is still my favorite Pack and happy too. Yes, IP would have been my favorite but it saddened me for the bugs in it that EA/Maxis never took the time to fix, so no kudos for them on Sims 4

GT is also my favorite! I can understand why you would dislike CL, but honestly, it is a substancial pack, it adds a lot more gameplay than IL does. As both "living" EP's, their biggest focus is on the world, but CL adds a lot more other than the apartment life San Myshuno provides, like the festivals, karaoke, basketball, the social media and politician careers, while IL basically only adds the world itself. It's so lacking.

No don't get me wrong Cl does have potential but I was one of the people who really wanted to build apts and also in other neighborhoods as well and finding out that it can't be done it took the wind out of my sails. I am not into festivals or even house traits so CL was never going to be my favorite. Now IL is an exclusive EP in the sense you cannot apply some of the features to other Neighborhood like in CL you couldn't. Also I find the City in CL ugly and just too congested and I do come from an big city but you can alter the Neighborhood to make it more attractive.

I feel you, I was also very disappointed by the fact we could only have apartments in San Myshuno, and honestly, it's not one of my favorite packs as well, but I do recognize it has enough content for an EP, while IL doesn't even come close. It's just pretty, but there's nothing to actually do. I wouldn't even be surprised if this was supposed to be a GP and EA turned it into an EP to make more money.

EA/Maxis will never admit it and if they do I would go into shock if they did for at least we would have gotten an honest answer. :)

of course not, they don't need to the packs shows it, sorry EA i am not blind to see a GP when I see one.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm really upset about the sunbathing I dont even use it they look like dead zombies.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I'm really upset about the sunbathing I dont even use it they look like dead zombies.

Huh? What do you mean please?
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member

She probably means the pose and facial expression of sims lounging. It's very zombie-like.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    jooxis wrote: »

She probably means the pose and facial expression of sims lounging. It's very zombie-like.

Sims forget about their emotions while lounging ahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    the worst part about the pack is they didn't even put a text adventure in the cave its not like it would have cost a lot of money
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @jooxis @Sigzy05 oh I see :D thanks