Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    @Paigeisin5, Thank you so much,I feel good about it. I will not be interacting with them anyway. Now I know some of you really like Mermaids and all, but It is just me. I kind of was thinking of just using it as a new world with a little fun to it along the way. A place where my Sims can Paint and Write. I must say that it is really beautiful. Love the look of the world and the houses. but I can't buy it until the end of July and hope so then. Until then I guess I will just have to drool. Have fun with the Sims. and this new world.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Evalen If you are looking to simply add Sulani as a new world, I do suggest buying it at a discount. Because there isn't enough new gameplay in this pack, aside from a pretty new world and new B/B assets there just isn't much to do. Waiting until the end of July will also give the teams time to fix all the bugs. And if you use mods that will give the mod creators enough time to update the mods you do use. If you have time to do a bit of research, have a look at the June 18th parch notes if you haven't read it yet. It has a lot of good info on what was in the pre-ep update. For free, I might add. LOL But your artistic and writer Sims will enjoy Sulani. I love Sulani, but the teams kinda dropped the ball with Island Living. :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    Taxicab08 wrote: »
    I would strongly urge ANYONE who is complaining about the lack of content in expansion packs to compare the Sims 4 game packs to Sims 3 expansion packs. World Adventures was like $30 and I could go to 3 entirely new WORLDS and explore tombs. Sims 3 University unlocked SO many interactions and a new world and it affected your everyday life OUTSIDE of university too. Sims 3 seasons brought aliens, city fairs and festivals, new interactions, etc. Island paradise unlocked awesome resorts, houseboats, mermaids, and more. Any one of this expansion packs has five times the content of just one of these new "expansion packs" for sims 4.

Plain and simple, EA has gotten greedy. They've realized they can toss out pitiful "packs" of whatever and people will eat it up because its SIMS. It's aesthetically pleasing sure, but I didn't like the sims for the backgrounds and CAS. I liked it for the stories I could create with my sims.

If Sims 4 is the first game you've played in this franchise, I understand that you might not get why this is so upsetting to people.

Eh... except large parts of Sims 3 was unplayable. All that content in Island Living for example? It was so buggy to even get the game to play without crashing I had to remove all the hotels and house boats, delete families and add mods... I had to beef the graphics so that even content like diving was only a fraction of what it could be. I have found the content in packs to be comparable between games, to be honest. I have actually enjoyed Sims 4 MORE. But this is just my opinion and experience. It doesn't make anyone else's wrong, and I want them to be able to share their opinion and I respect it... but I'm also not going to apologize for liking something and feeling I got my money's worth. I did the comparison, for me Sims 4 came out the winner (mind you this was after adding back things like toddlers. Didn't buy it until then).

I wouldn't disagree that EA is greedy. It's a business, they want to make money so they will do what they can. Until people put their foot down and stop paying, they don't have much incentive to change.

Sad thing is I think 64 bit would have fixed the issues Island Paradise and other packs had too especially with Lag,freezing and crashes.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    @Evalen If you are looking to simply add Sulani as a new world, I do suggest buying it at a discount. Because there isn't enough new gameplay in this pack, aside from a pretty new world and new B/B assets there just isn't much to do. Waiting until the end of July will also give the teams time to fix all the bugs. And if you use mods that will give the mod creators enough time to update the mods you do use. If you have time to do a bit of research, have a look at the June 18th parch notes if you haven't read it yet. It has a lot of good info on what was in the pre-ep update. For free, I might add. LOL But your artistic and writer Sims will enjoy Sulani. I love Sulani, but the teams kinda dropped the ball with Island Living. :)

In my opinion Island Living is an awesome pack but it would be better if the bugs were fixed. There is one 50x50 lot that is crashing a lot and causing sims to freeze for people. It's also associated with sims getting stuck on floaties. I hope it gets fixed.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Everyone keeps saying IL was supposed to be a GP. Is there solid proof of this? Just wondering.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying IL was supposed to be a GP. Is there solid proof of this? Just wondering.

not that I can see no
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

No. It was like this when Get to Work came out...so few lots.etc., etc. Changed my mind about it when I found how much fun it was.
    🍹
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Techbilt wrote: »
    RUmor has it that Paradox is working on something but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ its just a rumor and until they officially say something I'm taking it with a boulder of salt.

Rumor has said that for years since mid Sims3 even - good luck with that. Besides they really need to grow a whole lot bigger to make the Sims....

However, they put Sims City 2013 to shame.

Yes they did and with a small group of people.

• knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member

But start using your dollar too!

For someone who loves the game, it's hard to be sympathetic to someone who hates the packs and continues to buy them...there are people who have more packs then me and continue to complain about every one! Stop buying them, EA doesn't care about your complaints, they care about your dollar. As long as you keep buying them, they don't care that you're disappointed. They know you're gonna come back next month and buy. Of course they're gonna give you less for your dollar because they can get away with it. As much as everyone is complaining, they haven't dropped in sales. They have no financial evidence that there is anything wrong with their product.

There is ample opportunity to see what's in the pack before you buy it. With Island Living, there were loads of EA game changer play thoughs, we knew there was no hammocks, no volleyball, etc. We knew there was no diving, about the jobs, the full extent of mermaid interactions. I know I sound harsh but I'm being serious. Only way EA is going to hear your guys is if you stop paying them for it.

I don't mean to direct this at one person. This isn't a personal attack of any kind, and I know there are people who do refuse to buy and are applying these practices, but it's the most effective way to get EAs attention. Otherwise, it's like you're just hitting yourself in the face every release.

Please complain, discuss your disappointments and use your voice. But back it up with your dollar.

I have to ask - you are encouraging people to not buy, yet you love the game - those of us who are very familiar with the former versions of the game know what it could be like and we did assume that they would continue on with the series as it had been - why would you yourself not want it as a full game?

The graphics are great - but, what good are the graphics without full gameplay that they absolutely could have included?

Because, frankly it feels like a full game to me. It really does, even island living. I don't want to derail a thread meant for someone else's voice and opinion. I'm the kind of person that thinks everyone deserves to be heard and respected even if we have different opinions.

To me, I dont think the problem is that the game is "bare bones and rushed" I think it's more so shifted focus, and what it has focused on is what I like so I'm not missing anything. TS3 was also hecka buggy. It tool forever to load, it was laggy and glitchy, I needed mods just to be playable. I personally don't understand what content is "missing" because I'm not seeing it in my gameplay. In island living, mermaids alone are a vast improvement to TS3 version. I LOVE CAS, build mode, the lot system and worlds over open world.

I also didn't get TS4 at launch though precisely because I was disappointed: mainly, they took away toddlers and I wasn't gonna buy a game that didn't have what I wanted in it. They didn't have pools either. But that's also how I play sims, no point in playing a new version at launch because it's always gonna feel like it lacks content compared to a previous version that's had it's full run.

As someone who liked the sims, I get tired of people (intentionally or not) telling me my subjective experience of the game is objectively wrong. Do I think the sims 4 needs more? Yes, but I also know it's still going to be releasing content I'm interested in (like realm of magic). Do I have things I wish were done different or better? Sure. I wish their was a life aspiration specific to mermaids for one. But I had things in TS3 I wished were different too and added. My list of disappointments is longer with TS3 and my satisfaction is MUCh higher playing TS4. For what I'm paying, for what I'm getting, I'm more than satisfied. I don't miss TS3 or wish it was more like that.

I’m honestly glad for you that you enjoy the game as is.

The reason I am glad - is because it keeps the series alive.

However, I remember, very distinctly, being told that SimCity 2013 was the new way of playing and older players and their views were basically obsolete. The arrogance was astounding.

Ocean Quigley posted an article on what we could have had without EAs interference. Way after the fact.

We WANT the Sims to succeed.

We also want it back to what got so many consumers hooked in the first place. A full fledged game that doesn’t rely on more money spent on marketing than game development.

Developers work hard and they are constrained and they have to follow orders - and in the end - really - it is just a game - and there are so many others to play and the older versions of the Sims - 1, 2 & 3.

The older versions really do remind me that substance and depth do matter - not shiny new objects.

I always wondered why they have never allowed for Sims 1 to be available on Origin and I think because they are worried that despite the graphics there really is more to do (subjective, of course, but it’s what got so many hooked in the first place - so I would not disparage the reason Sims 4 exists is because of the success of its predecessor)..

So I guess the Sim world has all different types of versions to play that appeal to all different types of players.

And that’s great.

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »

In my opinion Island Living is an awesome pack but it would be better if the bugs were fixed. There is one 50x50 lot that is crashing a lot and causing sims to freeze for people. It's also associated with sims getting stuck on floaties. I hope it gets fixed.

@Paigeisin5 Thank you so much, I do hope all the bugs are fixed by the end of the month. Sounds good. Looks beautiful,
    @catloverplayer thanks for the input about the 50x50 lot, hope it is fixed also. It does look awesome.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    @knuckleduster LGR on Twitter "liked" a new video about the philosophy and start of The Sims (1). The books Will Wright read to get the principles right is impressive. (Sponsored with the advert in the middle which upsets the mood a bit. It brings back great memories of the music and my first playing it in 2000/1?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

The cover that was originally shown for this pack used the game pack design, but it was recolored to yellow from blue. That’s not concrete proof, but it’s very out of the ordinary since expansion packs do not share that design at all. There is also an expansion design for IL, but there’s no explanation for why the other GP version exists other than it was originally a game pack and that’s why that cover version was what Origin used before they changed it to the expansion design.

There’s other tidbits that I’ve read and pieced together myself about the pack. Supposedly some of the game changers were able to place rental lots in the world, which is impossible for residential worlds and is similarly impossible in the final release of the pack. Vacation destinations have always came from game packs, and destinations are the only worlds that can have rental lots. That again isn’t concrete proof of anything, but it’s not normal. We haven’t had any other residential worlds have that ability, and to me that says this world wasn’t originally a residential world which is why they were still able to do it when they got their pre-release copies.

ETA: IIRC one of the very early leaks for this pack actually used the blue color for the logo instead of the yellow, and didn’t necessarily list the pack as expansion which led people to question if it was a game pack. I remember it confused a lot of players because they were expecting an EP and not a GP but now it seems to make a lot more sense.

Actually, you can still place rental lots in Sulani. They just don't function as rentals.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

The cover that was originally shown for this pack used the game pack design, but it was recolored to yellow from blue. That’s not concrete proof, but it’s very out of the ordinary since expansion packs do not share that design at all. There is also an expansion design for IL, but there’s no explanation for why the other GP version exists other than it was originally a game pack and that’s why that cover version was what Origin used before they changed it to the expansion design.

There’s other tidbits that I’ve read and pieced together myself about the pack. Supposedly some of the game changers were able to place rental lots in the world, which is impossible for residential worlds and is similarly impossible in the final release of the pack. Vacation destinations have always came from game packs, and destinations are the only worlds that can have rental lots. That again isn’t concrete proof of anything, but it’s not normal. We haven’t had any other residential worlds have that ability, and to me that says this world wasn’t originally a residential world which is why they were still able to do it when they got their pre-release copies.

ETA: IIRC one of the very early leaks for this pack actually used the blue color for the logo instead of the yellow, and didn’t necessarily list the pack as expansion which led people to question if it was a game pack. I remember it confused a lot of players because they were expecting an EP and not a GP but now it seems to make a lot more sense.

Actually, you can still place rental lots in Sulani. They just don't function as rentals.

I didn’t know that. Still though, that shouldn’t be possible so for me it says this world has some programming for vacationing that ultimately went unused when they changed it from a destination world to a residential one.
    edited June 2019

I didn’t know that. Still though, that shouldn’t be possible so for me it says this world has some programming for vacationing that ultimately went unused when they changed it from a destination world to a residential one.

Yeah your points were definitely interesting and, also, the first time I got what I felt was a decent explanation for why some people think it was supposed to be a GP (beyond just not liking it). Do you still have a link to those initial leaks where it had a GP cover? I'd be curious to see it.

Anyway, I still enjoy IL but I wouldn't be totally surprised by this. I actually always thought we'd get a tropical and alpine vacation destination, so GPs instead of complete expansions. It's absolutely the impression they created with JA and OR. Personally, I think it has more to do than JA, but I'm not sure how subjective that opinion is.

I must say that if they decided midway to make it an EP, that I'm kind of wondering why they didn't just take a little more time for it. They could've still teased it at E3 without a set release date, after all. I also wonder why they would've made the switch at all? Guess we'll never really know the finer details of this story.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Yes, I agree with everyone who feels this pack is lacking. Playing more of it is making me realize how much I’ve missed some things from the past and that there were some missed opportunities to flesh things out.

For me, I miss houseboats, being able to see under the water, being able to see the kraken, having that danger of sharks and kraken, and having no rabbit holes for certain things like lifeguard, etc.

I love mermaids, but I’m very disappointed that the mermaids don’t really drown people and they don’t even have a cute bassinet. Bad enough they don’t have transformations.... I still love the mermaids because I’m a super-huge fan of merpeople in general, but there are just some disappointments here. (I was also disappointed with Sims 3 mermaids, so sims games still can’t get mermaids right, lol.)

In terms of the rest of the pack outside of the mermaids, I do feel this pack is severely lacking compared to Island Paradise in some areas, and I do feel that the cheaper price I got the IL pack elsewhere was more suited to it, as IL does feel more like a gamepack the more I play it.

I still love it, but it’s not worth that high price, and could have done much more to flesh things out.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

Yeah your points were definitely interesting and, also, the first time I got what I felt was a decent explanation for why some people think it was supposed to be a GP (beyond just not liking it). Do you still have a link to those initial leaks where it had a GP cover? I'd be curious to see it.

Anyway, I still enjoy IL but I wouldn't be totally surprised by this. I actually always thought we'd get a tropical and alpine vacation destination, so GPs instead of complete expansions. It's absolutely the impression they created with JA and OR. Personally, I think it has more to do than JA, but I'm not sure how subjective that opinion is.

I must say that if they decided midway to make it an EP, that I'm kind of wondering why they didn't just take a little more time for it. They could've still teased it at E3 without a set release date, after all. I also wonder why they would've made the switch at all? Guess we'll never really know the finer details of this story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/c3e9q3/when_they_decided_last_minute_to_charge_us_the/ Here's a Reddit thread where I heard about it the first time.
    The relevant picture:

k0yxdutc4r531.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/c3e9q3/when_they_decided_last_minute_to_charge_us_the/ Here's a Reddit thread where I heard about it the first time.
    The relevant picture:

k0yxdutc4r531.png

Lol yes. Uncanny resemblance :joy:

Thanks!
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited June 2019
    Honestly I want to give them the benefit of the doubt with the cover art because a company is allowed to change the cover of something especially if it matches the other pack art types. Seems sketchy but I guess it would depend on if future expansion packs have the old cover art or the new ones.

But if you look closely at the bottom of the game backs the blue plumbobs or diamonds or whatever they are have the same pattern OR to SV. IL has a different plumbob pattern. But if they did decide to change the cover art to EP I feel like maybe they should have announced it?

Still feels like a game pack but just something to think about.
    edited June 2019
    Honestly I want to give them the benefit of the doubt with the cover art because a company is allowed to change the cover of something especially if it matches the other pack art types. Seems sketchy but I guess it would depend on if future expansion packs have the old cover art or the new ones.

But if you look closely at the bottom of the game backs the blue plumbobs or diamonds or whatever they are have the same pattern OR to SV. IL has a different plumbob pattern. But if they did decide to change the cover art to EP I feel like maybe they should have announced it?

Yes but IL has one (you mean the round thingies right above the pack's name, right?). None of the other EPs do.

Plus, I do have the impression that EPs have more stuff going on in the background of the sims, while GPs mostly don't. Or am I imagining it? Either way, it definitely fits in more neatly, visually, with the GP crowd.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member

The relevant picture:

k0yxdutc4r531.png

Oh my god... :o
    Yeah, it's true.
    Go to the sims 4 store and it's the only expansion pack with a game pack design.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

The relevant picture:

k0yxdutc4r531.png

Huh. That does look a little suspicious.

No wonder it felt like a game pack to me, lol! :lol: (And I say it as someone who still love elements of it.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited June 2019

Yes but IL has one (you mean the round thingies right above the pack's name, right?). None of the other EPs do.

Plus, I do have the impression that EPs have more stuff going on in the background of the sims, while GPs mostly don't. Or am I imagining it? Either way, it definitely fits in more neatly, visually, with the GP crowd.

im actually talking about the image patterns under the pack names here's a close up
    tumblr_inline_ptx3jqn7jm1tqp5ws_1280.png

The pattern behind strangerville is consistent with all the GP's that came before it while the one for IL even if its blue the pattern isn't the same.

im actually talking about the image patterns under the pack names here's a close up
    tumblr_inline_ptx3jqn7jm1tqp5ws_1280.png

The pattern behind strangerville is consistent with all the GP's that came before it while the one for IL even if its blue the pattern isn't the same.

Oh wow, nice catch :D I would've never noticed that.

Maybe they thought that would have a been just a tat too obvious? :joy:
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member

The relevant picture:

k0yxdutc4r531.png

Makes you wonder for sure. Something is missing in this pack and I know based on this topic alone I’m not alone in that feeling. If it was meant to be a gamepack it might explain that feeling. I do love it for what it is but it’s not hard to tell something is off about it gameplay wise.