Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• OphiuchuserRulesOphiuchuserRules Posts: 93 Member
    I haven't got IL yet, but I want to share what I learned from the GF, which might change your mind if you're disappointed about any new packs.

When I first saw the news about GF which introduced the the new career, new world, new pre-made NPC...etc. Especially the fame feature really got my attention! I was just curious about what a sim's life would be when being a celebrity. I bought GF from the recent sales. I was so excited to travel to the new world. And yeah! I admitted it that I did get a "lack of something" shortly while playing. I was like: "Wait! That's it? Is this what you got? Dear Get Famous?" I was so mad that there wasn't that much stuffs I could explore. I felt like being cheated! But later on, once I found out how quick could affect a sim, how fame could help you earn more money and get promoted much easier! I felt GF was totally worth it after knowing the pros and cons. Anyway, I just want to point out that don't jump into conclusion way too early, if you haven't played that long enough to find out more.

BTW, I guessed that you guys all have MCCC which can allow you to cheat a sim's buffs(moodlet), I was surprised to know that there are at least 200 or 300 more moodlets in this game! MCCC warn me that lots of them are hidden ones, I wasn't sure if I had to reveal them while playing or not. And I checked the recent update, finding out the EA didn't just fix bugs! They'll still add new features or stuffs to this game! I'll take the recent update for instance: Did you know that your adult sims now can do part-time job like teens do? One can have two PT as long as the working time doesn't conflict. Did you know that EA add new clothes to celebrate The Pride from LGBT community? I guess EA more or less will add something in every upcoming updates.

When it comes to the fun, I don't think sims 4 itself is "fun"! I think it is how you play this game determines if this game is fun or not. I'll take paparazzi from GF for example! At first, I was annoyed they wouldn't leave my sims alone. And my sims would always stopped what they were doing then go to pose for them, which almost ruined my game. I was so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 by those ugly paparazzi that I wanted to kill them all! Then an evil but funny thought hit me: Why not? I can trap them easily since they'll follow my sims to take photo. You guys know that there was a popular challenge named 100 baby, so why not I start one named kill 100 paparazzi? Do you guys see what I just did? I just made this game be more interesting by setting certain goals or trying to create a story!

The stuffs from sims 4 itself more or less will get old and you'll feel repeated, but the stories or goals you want to make will certainly create fun to yourself if you keep trying. Let me just say that Sims 4 isn't for those who are lack of idea, or not creative.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2019
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    I have enjoyed the pack and still have some more stuff to do/see despite playing quite a lot since IL came out but I do agree with you on a lot of points. I was irked by the fact the toddler pool play animation was basically the bath animation rehashed when Seasons came out and I am amazed they've just rehashed it again for the sea...why would a toddler play with a rubber duckie in the sea and paddling pool - that doesn't make sense to me so yes at least change the toy. Lounging having no multitasking at all seems really rushed and bizarre/done on the cheap (not even to chat or read a book or listen to music) - and again I dislike how the pool/sea floaties are clearly chair shaped on purpose in order to rehash the lounge animation they use in the lounge chairs.

I wish that there was the option to vacation in Sulani rather than having to either live there or come up with workarounds such as owning a business there to use as a base to visit - I wish rental options were available everywhere to be honest, it seems silly that I can vacation in the Jungle Adventures world but not in Sulani where all the beaches/vacation worthy type game play is.

@tegteg87 I believe Sims 2 had a better "world" system. I mean, you could add a downtown, vacation sub-neighborhoods, shopping district sub-neighborhood, but the modders found a even better way to use this system. We could add any neighborhood (from pleasantview to Belladonna Cove) as a sub-neighborhood. We could remove them whenever we wanted (making sure to move our tombstones), we could add vacation destinations as shopping districts, downtowns, etc and play them as regular neighborhoods. We could create our own sub-neighborhoods. They should learn with what the players do to their previous games when designing a new one.
    Even in Sims 3 people found ways to add previously existing worlds as universities, vacation destinations, etc... but we could remove them as well, we could play the game and set it however we wanted.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited July 2019
    That is why the forum is a place for feedback. This is Awesome and personal opinions abound and gameplay styles differ. Does not make one right and another wrong—just varying degrees of opinions and personal preferences. Happy Island Living.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    That is why the forum is a place for feedback. This is Awesome and personal opinions abound and gameplay styles differ. Does not make one right and another wrong—just varying degrees of opinions and personal preferences. Happy Island Living.

You're totally right. But I think it's not the appropriate thread to share your opinions about ''storytelling'' when it's a thread about gameplay. It's like you're invited to a conference about climate change but you come up with a plan for building a new oil industry.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    But that is where I beg to differ because from my gameplay style and perspective it goes into my gameplay. It is about gameplay and I have it in my game as do many others. Those pictures is just part of the creative process of gameplay (which everyone does) before I even begin. Gameplay varies and differs from individual to individual (not a new concept that all Sims vary or look alike as some pointed out—that is the Sims 4u). That is all i’m saying. Creativity and Imagination is part of the Sims 4; yet, other opinions may differ and that is okay. Nothing the Sims team do will satisfy everyone—that is life. Yet, That is why people make suggestions. Happy Simming.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
    edited July 2019
    But that is where I beg to differ because from my gameplay style and perspective it goes into my gameplay. It is about gameplay and I have it in my game as do many others. Those pictures is just part of the creative process of gameplay (which everyone does) before I even begin. Gameplay varies and differs from individual to individual (not a new concept that all Sims vary or look alike as some pointed out—that is the Sims 4u). That is all i’m saying. Creativity and Imagination is part of the Sims 4; yet, other opinions may differ and that is okay. Nothing the Sims team do will satisfy everyone—that is life. Yet, That is why people make suggestions. Happy Simming.

I won't continue cause I'm sure you really well understood what me and others in this thread tried to explain to you. I can't one day decide to sell an EP for 40$ and asking the players to imagine the gameplay and just give them a few ''tools'' to build upon.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

You're totally right. But I think it's not the appropriate thread to share your opinions about ''storytelling'' when it's a thread about gameplay. It's like you're invited to a conference about climate change but you come up with a plan for building a new oil industry.

You know, I will love when they add University to TS4.

We'll get class rabbit holes, some CAS t-shirts with backpacks in the back, and that's it! Happy 40€ and a nice creative play for you. Maybe we'll even get a recoloured llamacorn outfit, the one that is already in the BG.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

You know, I will love when they add University to TS4.

We'll get class rabbit holes, some CAS t-shirts with backpacks in the back, and that's it! Happy 40€ and a nice creative play for you.

And a new ''application'' for sims to share their photos that nobody cares of. (something like they did with C&D) They'll hype this AF.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2019
    This is how EA describes its packs.
    packy.png

Anyone enjoying this as a new thematic wrapper should feel ripped off because they are only getting one theme instead of the two that their $40 dollars should bring them.

I am playing Island Living like the expansion pack it has been labeled to be.
    But I need other packs to do it.

This is an update from what I posted in the earlier pages.
    From City Living, I am expanding what is available to Vaughn Noble who is living in a budget apartment in San Myshuno.
    06-23-19_6-09-55nbspPM.png

He has to endure noisy neighbors when he is trying to sleep or get some late night writing done.
    06-24-19_10-41-57nbspAM.png

Fortunately his low cost living has allowed him to buy land In Sulani, using The Get To Work feature of buying retail property.
    If this was a true expansion, it would be Vacation Property and I wouldn't have to use this work around.
    06-24-19_2-11-55nbspAM.png

He slowly built up his property between visits to this comfy little vacation home.
    06-25-19_12-36-24nbspPM.png

Now he can write in peace and reap the benefits of a lot trait that helps his writing.
    Living in San Myshuno makes visiting Sulani all the more special.
    Unfortunately he doesn't get the full benefit of Sulani neighbors because the pack does not recognize this lot as a home,
    but that is okay, he is a foreigner after all.
    06-25-19_12-51-39nbspPM.png

Of course not all my sims can go making this investment when they only want to sample Sulani for a weekend here or there, so I added this beach/camping grounds lot. (Outdoor Retreat) Sorry Fetu, but the whole world is going to enjoy this Sulani expansion pack..
    06-27-19_12-10-38nbspPM.png

Anyway, Vaughn joined a group of Sulani natives (Get Together clubs feature) to help clean up the mess visitors and world pollution was bringing to the land.
    06-28-19_7-06-08nbspAM.png

This is lengthy, so it gets a spoiler tag.
    06-28-19_7-52-30nbspAM.png

He began to fall in love with one of them.
    06-28-19_8-08-00nbspAM.png

06-28-19_8-17-25nbspAM.png

He gave her a key to his apartment so she could visit him in San Myshuno.
    On one of those visits he discovered she was a mermaid. (Oh splash!)
    06-29-19_10-02-48nbspAM.png

He was fine with it.
    06-29-19_10-34-13nbspAM.png

Sulani is nice and relaxing, but it's missing some adventurous elements. That cave rabbit hole just doesn't do it for me.
    A shark attack would be cool, but I haven't done much snorkeling and scuba.
    06-30-19_12-49-43nbspAM.png

So Vaughn and his mermaid companion are off to Selvadorada. (Jungle Adventures)
    This particular Sulani doesn't mind a little adventure. You would think her world would have some hidden secrets to explore.
    07-01-19_3-25-16nbspPM.png

And this place is no paradise.
    They are prepared for insects, spiders, and other surprises, but eventually those items run out.
    07-01-19_3-27-45nbspPM.png

It's great to have a mermaid around to remove that uncomfortable moodlet.
    I wish she could do more in moodlet management.
    07-01-19_3-28-59nbspPM.png

I have to say I was really worried about Kala' and dehydration.
    They didn't have any waterfall in a bottle and they were pushing on to find a place they could camp near water.
    07-01-19_4-06-47nbspPM.png

It was a relief when they found it.
    07-01-19_4-13-10nbspPM.png

She was in the red.
    07-01-19_4-15-40nbspPM.png

This was one of those special sim moments.
    07-01-19_4-14-48nbspPM.png

They eventually had to return to the rental house to resupply.
    07-04-19_9-17-13nbspAM.png

Waterfall in a bottle--great stuff!
    07-04-19_8-55-56nbspAM.png

They finally made it to the big treasure.
    07-04-19_9-10-35nbspAM.png

07-04-19_9-11-24nbspAM.png

And since their vacation home is actually a retail store, they can sell those artifacts for more profit.
    "Wow, you braved Selvadorada to get these items. I'll gladly pay you double. It's better than going up against a jungle cat."
    07-05-19_4-20-02nbspPM.png

Vaughn has big plans. He wants to build a very nice home in one of the other worlds for Kala, and also a nice vacation home with room for the children they will have. They will eventually retire and live in Sulani.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Reading the descriptions of the packs, it's even more clear to me that IL barely meets the requirements for a Game pack. Ridiculous. It's more the equivalent of getting a new world to use the older packs in. It's a world pack.

I have to agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Will Wright said last year...“Proxi”

......"It doesn’t sound a lot like a game, but most of Wright’s biggest hits never did, from “The Sims'” take on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, to how “Spore” was in some ways the gamification of documentary “Powers of Ten.”

“They don’t sound like games,” he said. “I think maybe toys are a better term, because games have a win state. That’s my style, the sort of games I tend to be attracted to.”"

Maybe Sims 4 is more in his style, gameplay not.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/will-wright-online-game-design-class-1203093140/
  • XxSupremesassouxXXxSupremesassouxX Posts: 38 Member
    @doublenoodles I feel you really do what really gets me pumped is hairstyles.
  • ChelleB24ChelleB24 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm pretty much in agreement with this post. I picked up IL a few days ago expecting it to be akin to the Island Paradise expansion in Sims 3. Now that I have sat down and played IL.....I feel like this is such a waste of my money. I hate that all the careers are nothing but rabbit holes, there is no underwater activity that we can VISUALLY see like there was in TS3: IP.

Sims 3 was my first Sims game series ever, and I'm going to be honest, TS4 has been mediocre (occasionally less than mediocre) for the time I have spent playing it. I think the only thing I have genuinely enjoyed through out the lifespan of TS4 has been how restaurants and stores work. I'd happily go back and play TS3 again if it wasn't such a unstable and buggy game to play. I play on a custom built PC that cost me nearly $1K to build, and TS3 still lags and crashes like crazy :( .

If EA is going to continue on with The Sims, I'm hoping that TS5 or whatever is a vast improvement than what TS4 has been so far. Heck, I'd take a complete re-skin of TS3 if they did that and made the game stable and playable. In fact, I'd jump and scream for joy if that happened.
  • paristafreezeparistafreeze Posts: 9 New Member
    thanks for all the insight, been debating if it's worth buying this pack.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    thanks for all the insight, been debating if it's worth buying this pack.

Definitely wait for a sale. General consensus is that this pack is not worth $40.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don’t think they care. They have the money of people that paid for it, they are going to get a lot more next month when it comes out on console.

A company that listens to its consumers doesn’t put out the same surgery as the one before, that was also identical to the one before that. A survey that focuses on engagement. But we never actually see any changes.

This month. It's coming to consoles Next Tuesday July 16th. Next Week.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Will Wright said last year...“Proxi”

......"It doesn’t sound a lot like a game, but most of Wright’s biggest hits never did, from “The Sims'” take on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, to how “Spore” was in some ways the gamification of documentary “Powers of Ten.”

“They don’t sound like games,” he said. “I think maybe toys are a better term, because games have a win state. That’s my style, the sort of games I tend to be attracted to.”"

Maybe Sims 4 is more in his style, gameplay not.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/will-wright-online-game-design-class-1203093140/

I think of the Sims as a Videogame.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2019
    @catloverplayer Yes, Sims definitely have a win state, at least the previous iteration had - it' just a very fluent and flexible win state - because well, you can lose at the game, and it can be 'game over'. So yeah, it's definitely a game.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don’t think they care. They have the money of people that paid for it, they are going to get a lot more next month when it comes out on console.

A company that listens to its consumers doesn’t put out the same surgery as the one before, that was also identical to the one before that. A survey that focuses on engagement. But we never actually see any changes.

This month. It's coming to consoles Next Tuesday July 16th. Next Week.

Yeah I know it does. When it comes out is irrelevant to the point I was making.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited July 2019
    The problem is that no amount of cosmetics are going to remove the hollowness at the end of the day. People want depth in game play.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    A quick and dirty edit of what might have been...
    BPrPZ0A.jpg

Aaaand now I'm sad :'(
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2019

You have to force it just like you have to manage every interaction in this game. Your teen skips curfew and comes home at 4am? Better get on Mom and Dad to tell the teen off; a child catches their parent cheating? Better go and do some mean socials or something (Because EA despite what you may think, no child witnesses a parent cheating and just sits there and watches whilst eating ice cream with s blank expression- except you know that because sims 2 kids and teens reacted)

Sims 3 sims react as appropriate to their traits and a sims 2 sim will react according to their personality points. Even the sims 1 is the same. The sims 4 sims behave the same way when triggered by certain behaviours or buffs - that is what the game is about - look at clubs, a tool to allow you to manipulate sims emotions so they will behave the way the player wants them too, look at how many objects that come with emotional auras to force sims into such a such mood.

THIS!!! I could never understand what TS4 lacked for me but you nailed it exactly! In TS2 and TS3 I could enjoy playing one sim in what seemed like a dynamic and interactive world. What my sim did mattered and had consequences. If I try to play the same way in TS4, it doesn't work. It's like the sims are zombies in comparison to what they were in TS2 and TS3. And gaining or losing moodlets just does nothing for me personally-- they're so repetitive, what's the point of them? You get tense from being around certain sims, you get tense during a thunderstorm, you get tense if you don't workout enough, you get tense if you aren't outdoors enough...am I missing something (besides real interactive gameplay)???

Sulani is beautiful, but small. So many limitations keep it from that WOW factor many felt before it was released to non-influencers. Great marketing though!!! You got me!!!

One of the features I was not just hoping for but counting on was diving and swimming under water. Sulani's oceans are just redone pools, pools that look amazing, but play the same way.

Anyway, is Island Living a Great Disappointment? I don't think so. I think it's exactly what I've come to expect.