Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

350 Swatches Are Doors ONLY!

Comments

• Options
    xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    Am I the only one that’s actually fine with this...?

There's always someone who is. Maxis could say "our next EP is watching paint dry. And the gameplay consists of two cans of paint and a blank wall for you to paint. Then you just watch it dry."And someone would say im not the only one who like this am I? YASSSSS!!!

There's always someone who is. Maxis could say "our next EP is watching paint dry. And the gameplay consists of two cans of paint and a blank wall for you to paint. Then you just watch it dry."And someone would say im not the only one who like this am I? YASSSSS!!!

I feel there some people who will honestly love anything they do...
    And honestly it just makes me shake my head more.

No need to be so pessimistic. It’s actually a great feature for us builders. You don’t know how infuriating it is finding a door that looks amazing but isn’t in the swatch that you want. And as @BOY said, builders have been asking for it for ages.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    edited June 2019
    Nothing is free. Every update we have gotten or will ever get was included in the price when we bought the game. A lot of people seem to not understand that. When they issue new content to the base game it isn’t free, it never was and it never will be unless you took advantage of the super deal where the game itself was free.

that’s your opinion but imo it is free. it wasn’t part of the base game before. it wasn’t something that was featured or advertised or that was known or expected when i purchased the game, and it wasn’t something they had to patch in. some players wanted it, and now they got it. that’s a good thing. would i like more? yes, it’d be nice. but i’m not upset that other players got something they’ve wanted and will enjoy.

it’s not like they’re taking something away. they’re adding more to the game.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member

I feel there some people who will honestly love anything they do...
    And honestly it just makes me shake my head more.

No need to be so pessimistic. It’s actually a great feature for us builders. You don’t know how infuriating it is finding a door that looks amazing but isn’t in the swatch that you want. And as @BOY said, builders have been asking for it for ages.

I also build . And I did not want just doors. The furniture , especially the bedding needs a serious revamp.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited June 2019
    BOY wrote: »
    Nothing is free. Every update we have gotten or will ever get was included in the price when we bought the game. A lot of people seem to not understand that. When they issue new content to the base game it isn’t free, it never was and it never will be unless you took advantage of the super deal where the game itself was free.

that’s your opinion but imo it is free. it wasn’t something that was featured or advertised or that was known or expected when i purchased the game, and it wasn’t something they had to patch in. some players wanted it, and now they got it. that’s a good thing. would i like more? yes, it’d be nice. but i’m not upset that other players got something they’ve wanted and will enjoy.

and besides that, it’s not like they’re taking something away. they’re adding more to the game.

You can’t just call fact someone’s opinion, that’s how the live service model operates whether you like it or not. They advertise LS games as constantly getting updates with new content and features, which obligates them to do just that. My opinion on the matter, is that it’s very unhealthy for Maxis to perpetuate the idea that what they’re doing is anything more than what they’re obligated to do by the model of game they’re following.

Naturally they didn’t have to make all door recolors, and based on the general reaction it seems maybe they shouldn’t have chosen to go that route. Unfortunately that poor decision making is on Maxis and not on the players. We’re dependent on them to add what we ask for, and they’re dependent on us to fund it’s production. They seem to disregard that entirely like they’re doing players a favor when they release things that players aren’t asking for and overwhelmingly do not want. It’s a small fraction that’s blindly defending every bad move they make, and it’s a shame they do that because everyone who owns Sims 4 paid their share to have their voice matter as much as anyone else’s.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    And I oop-
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    edited June 2019
    this isn’t blindly defending them, they’ve mishandled many things lol, including the announcement for this patch. they just haven’t actually done anything wrong by releasing only door swatches tho. it wasn’t bright to announce the swatches without specifying the whole “door only” thing from the beginning. that just caused everybody to hype themselves up, which always happens. but it was 350 swatches. sounds like a lot at first, but how many items are actually in the base game? the patch was never going to live up to some people’s hype.

and again, this was something that was requested, even if not by a lot of you. nothing was taken away from anyone, nobody didn’t get what they paid for. if you paid for the patch, you’re still getting the patch. so i guess i just don’t see the problem beyond people being upset they didn’t get what they want? everyone has the right to feel what they feel but some posts are insanely dramatic. but that’s how the forums have always been, i should be accustomed to it by now.

and Sims is a game as a service, true. the actual service is the paid DLC though.
    Post edited by BOY on
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    I'm not a builder so I'm biting my tongue but like, they overhyped this. They could've just said "hey you know those plain black and white modern doors you've been complaining about since release? here you go!" Saying 350 swatches and they not saying what those swatches are for until the very end is super lame.

• Options
    this isn’t blindly defending them, they’ve mishandled many things lol, including the announcement for this patch. they just haven’t actually done anything wrong by releasing only door swatches tho. it wasn’t bright to announce the swatches without specifying the whole “door only” thing from the beginning. that just caused everybody to hype themselves up, which always happens. but it was 350 swatches. sounds like a lot at first, but how many items are actually in the base game? the patch was never going to live up to some people’s hype.

and again, this was something that was requested, even if not by a lot of you. nothing was taken away from anyone, nobody didn’t get what they paid for. if you paid for the patch, you’re still getting the patch. so i guess i just don’t see the problem beyond people being upset they didn’t get what they want? everyone has the right to feel what they feel but some posts are insanely dramatic. but that’s how the forums have always been, i should be accustomed to it by now.

and Sims is a game as a service, true. the actual service is the paid DLC though.

No it’s not. It’s already been described to us by the studio what Sims as a live service entails, while they haven’t quite lived up to it, it’s not DLC that makes it a service. The “monthly” updates as we were originally to receive were part of it, the engagement content and engagement features are also part of it. No other Sims games were “service model” games, and those got all the same DLC. The service revolves entirely around the base game and nothing more.
  • Options

The only thing that's insanely dramatic was the announcement of this garbage 350 swatches nonsense. And your multiple attempts to make it seem more okay than it is. It was absolutely a wrong move. And should have been immediately clarified. Im sure they saw the many many players who thought it was something more.
  • Options
    I'm not a builder so I'm biting my tongue but like, they overhyped this. They could've just said "hey you know those plain black and white modern doors you've been complaining about since release? here you go!" Saying 350 swatches and they not saying what those swatches are for until the very end is super lame.

Studio still hasn’t said anything about them. They left it to the game changers and literally only one of those biased people even said anything at all.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I am curious how that can come up with so many colors for doors. Don't really care either way as I am more looking forward to improved ceiling fans, randomize traits and new foundations.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited June 2019
    Honestly surprised so many players expected the 350 swatches to cover most of the base game items. Based on teaser pics they only ever showed new swatches for doors so for me I knew door would be the main focus especially since there are several doors that don't come in any other colors other then white. Am I surprised that it only is doors as I could of expected windows and columns to be apart of this update. Either way free is free and this isn't the only things coming in this update as we're also getting a Nudist lot trait, 2 column foundation, and maybe some other stuff idk.
  • Options
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    Honestly surprised so many players expected the 350 swatches to cover most of the base game items. Based on teaser pics they only ever showed new swatches for doors so for me I knew door would be the main focus especially since there are several doors that don't come in any other colors other then white. Am I surprised that it only is doors as I could of expected windows and columns to be apart of this update. Either way free is free and this isn't the only things coming in this update as we're also getting a Nudist lot trait, 2 column foundation, and maybe some other stuff idk.

I didn’t expect the whole base game, I expected it to be applied to the problem areas. Doors alone is not the biggest issue with color coordination. So now we have tons of doors. Windows, columns, fencing, trim, roof accents, etc remains unchanged. That doesn’t even touch on buy mode which is in the worst shape.

I’ve already explained the “free is free”’ nonsense above. Nothing is free. We paid for this update, and it’s a shame they did so little with so much to do.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am very surprised how badly they have communicated this to the community. They not only hyped this up with a random number guessing game, they were also not clear about what exactly these 350 swatches meant. We can't just keep guessing what they are working on from what they are writing on twitter and what EA Game Changers are hearing during their limited game sessions.

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2019
    They only ever teased a different door in both screenshots.

Also, we are still getting 350 swatches, so we can match doors better.

I don’t understand why y’all are mad. If you paid attention to the screenshots they posted of the new swatches, they were all door swatches.

This is just because, the community went wild. Every company teases content this way, but The Sims community just goes wild with it. There’s very rarely, if ever, reasonable thought behind anything that’s said. It’s also jumping to the most absolute fantasy.

All I expected was that we’d get black and white swatches for a bunch of base game goods, and it looks like we got that with the doors, and the doors NEEDED updates over anything else because most of them had only 1 swatch and most of the more detailed ones only had 3 or so.

This is a welcome update for any builder. Doors not matching Windows was a huge annoyance. Windows have all these swatches and matching doors have nada.

I hope next they add matching swatches to fences and columns.
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    I’m sorry, but this is stupid. I love Sims4, but honestly! Does door colors matter that much? I wouldn’t mind door colors, but 350 SWATCHES JUST FOR DOORS.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    I am very surprised how badly they have communicated this to the community. They not only hyped this up with a random number guessing game, they were also not clear about what exactly these 350 swatches meant. We can't just keep guessing what they are working on from what they are writing on twitter and what EA Game Changers are hearing during their limited game sessions.

But... the maxis monthly.... but... the guru garage.... it’s almost like those things they did to “improve communication” didn’t do anything at all to improve communication. It just created more noise.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    If this is a one and done attempt at giving us matching colors I will be annoyed but if not great to have the doors all matching no longer a guessing game of is that color there. Hopefully they plan to continue this in future patches like move onto windows one patch objects the next so at least we will know if we want a door or window all the options will be there instead of a bunch of random swatches and nothing being complete.

If only the game changers would tell them to give us better shades of blond and brown hair as they're the only people the Guru's really listen to.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    I was hoping for a few more hair colors and clothes patterns. I guess there's a demand for more doors to coordinate with walls. Is there 350 new door swatches and maybe 50 of other things like shoes? Shoes need to coordinate!
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    Honestly, I’m dying for new hair and eye colors!
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options

But... the maxis monthly.... but... the guru garage.... it’s almost like those things they did to “improve communication” didn’t do anything at all to improve communication. It just created more noise.

Yeah, I would have preferred a simple blog update or just a twitter message that says, "350 new swatches are coming for doors". It is nice that they inform us about upcoming content and I do not want them to stop having livestreams or previews for EA Game Changers, I just wish they could be more...clearer.
  • Options

This was handled in a very birdbrained manner , imo.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    They only ever teased a different door in both screenshots.

Also, we are still getting 350 swatches, so we can match doors better.

I don’t understand why y’all are mad. If you paid attention to the screenshots they posted of the new swatches, they were all door swatches.

This is just because, the community went wild. Every company teases content this way, but The Sims community just goes wild with it. There’s very rarely, if ever, reasonable thought behind anything that’s said. It’s also jumping to the most absolute fantasy.

All I expected was that we’d get black and white swatches for a bunch of base game goods, and it looks like we got that with the doors, and the doors NEEDED updates over anything else because most of them had only 1 swatch and most of the more detailed ones only had 3 or so.

This is a welcome update for any builder. Doors not matching Windows was a huge annoyance. Windows have all these swatches and matching doors have nada.

I hope next they add matching swatches to fences and columns.

Im so tired of the downplaying of the unprofessionalism. The responses are all like "you guys, how dare you have standards?" Chastising people because we are tired of the same old disappointments. The fanbase did not go "wild" they reacted understandably excitedly because SimGuruLyndsay made a guessing game out of it without clarifying and the hints and hype made it seem as if there would be a game changing update for players who are tired of the same drab decor and build mode choices.

It's not "our" fault how this was handled. And stop with the "any builder" would agree with this update stuff. Plenty of builders (including myself) complain about the lack of tools and variety in The Sims 4. They took away the ability for players to customize and handling announces like this lacks professionalism and integrity.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited June 2019
    The community is always going to come up with bigger better ideas hints never work out good for them. But on this one I don't get it 350 swatches really is not that much divided between multiple items so I'm not sure what people were really expecting unless they were looking for as many items as possible with 1 new color swatch.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The community is always going to come up with bigger better ideas hints never work out good for them. But on this one I don't get it 350 swatches really is not that much divided between multiple items so I'm not sure what people were really expecting unless they were looking for as many items as possible with 1 new color swatch.

I can't speak for what everyone what expecting... but I was expecting swatches for items in the game that have very few swatches. Things that people have mentioned over the years. Thing is, when you are so vague about it I think it is impossible to not have people expect other things.