Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

350 Swatches Are Doors ONLY!

Comments

• Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    That does sound like a ridiculous number just for door swatches... I mean, sure, I can think of several doors that could use one or two more swatches, but 350?!
    The only way I could be happy about this is if they planned to do the same for other objects/windows/hair and eye colors in game which are in the most severe need of swatches in my opinion. Otherwise it just sounds like they missed an opportunity by concentrating all of their efforts on the doors, and that would be a ridiculous choice. But again, if they do the same with the other objects, and I really hope that is what they had in mind, then it is great they added that many! Because that means they will add just as many for the rest.

Other than the B/B items, I really hope we will see more swatches in CAS in the future. It's been 5 years since the game was released and I still can't make a sim with my natural hair color...
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Nope, I’m fine with it as well. And that’s perfectly alright. People can like what they like and dislike what they dislike.
    But you’re not alone. :)
    Am I the only one that’s actually fine with this...?

It does not effect me either way. I have no issues with building as it is right now. New stuff is new stuff, recolors or objects or whatever it might be. I’m not upset or disappointed by this, but I can’t say I’m excited either. It’s whatever to me.

I do think they should’ve been upfront with what they were recoloring, but in the end, again, I never got myself hyped up over the matter so I couldn’t care less.
    It’s unfortunate that so many people are upset over this, and how many are disappointed/let down.

What I hope for in the meantime, is that this is the start to what could be more recolor projects for the future. I’d rather them do the entirety of a certain section at once instead of do a few swatches for this type of item and a few for that type of item together.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2019
    This sort of sounds like 'Let them eat cake'. ROFL.

Just a silly question here but how many doors are in this game and all it's packs? and how many recolors will this equal out to be per door? Or is it going to be 350 recolors of only one door? lol ETA: Kativip is that you? They once did about hundred recolors/textures for the Just a Door door for TS2. But credit to Kativip all those 'swatches' changed the door into a different door. Anything anyone would ever want in a door.

Wow at the speculation they let run amuck here, everyone was trying to guess the numbers game, if it was a color wheel, which couch they could change, dreaming of changing bed frames, blankets, counter tops, and not a peep from Maxis to not get too excited knowing it was only for doors. Or maybe just one door type. ahahahaha Sorry, I can't contain my laughter, the TS4 fan base is going (will wind up) to have to defend this because if they don't someone will remind them how hard a guru worked on this 'passion' project. ROFL, sorry, this is almost as bad as the hype for one white shelf. As if developers just discovered the crayon box.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    This sort of sounds like 'Let them eat cake'. ROFL.

Just a silly question here but how many doors are in this game and all it's packs? and how many recolors will this equal out to be per door? Or is it going to be 350 recolors of only one door? lol

Wow at the speculation they let run amuck here, everyone was trying to guess the numbers game, if it was a color wheel, which couch they could change, dreaming of changing bed frames, blankets, counter tops, and not a peep from Maxis to not get too excited knowing it was only for doors. Or maybe just one door type. ahahahaha Sorry, I can't contain my laughter, the TS4 fan base is going to have to defend this because if they don't someone will remind them how hard a guru worked on this 'passion' project. ROFL sorry, this is almost as bad as the hype for one white shelf. As if developers just discovered the crayon box.

It’s only BG doors and most of those only have 1 swatch only, but I was honestly hoping for a few CAS swatches from the 350 😤😤 it’s not like they didn’t know what it was for, they could’ve said from the start for doors only so no one would speculate it be on anything else. That hype for the white shelf was pathetic too! People were praising them on Twitter for that. It’s cause they were able to get away with that white shelf they think they can do anything and get praise.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Maxis's ideas of what we like and our ideas of what we like do not overlap at all. I would prefer that be a lot more up front about things like more swatches in the future so that a total fiasco like this one doesn't happen again, but honestly, I think they've proved that they don't listen to us very well.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    They really couldn't have saved at least 5 of those 350 colors for hair or clothes or any other furniture....i have to laugh
  • Options
    ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm kinda hoping this leads to a systematic patching of new swatches to a lot of base game things. I'm find with just doors for now, and the more I think about it, the more I prefer it. Because 350 swatches spread over all the base game item...I'd never see it, never really notice its impact. With the doors though, it will be so much more noticeable. And then, if they keep this up focusing on certain objects at a time: counters, windows, couches... it could really improve the game overall! Next could be 360 swatches for windows, 250 for counters, etc.

I can understand why they can't release 10,000 new swatches on one update. It sounds like a busier year, what with two GP releases, an EP release, a SP release, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a second EP in November.

This is a lot of speculation though. We don't know yet if they plan to keep releasing these swatch updates in future but I think it's a good sign.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    They really should just say the truth, I use a lot of cc but I feel sorry for others who got their hopes up. If they just said 'hey guys, 350 new door swatches!' most would be happy, this just leads to disappointment. Do they look on this forum?
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    EdithV wrote: »
    They really should just say the truth, I use a lot of cc but I feel sorry for others who got their hopes up. If they just said 'hey guys, 350 new door swatches!' most would be happy, this just leads to disappointment. Do they look on this forum?

The patch is supposed to go live in 4 days and 2 of them are the weekend. I really wonder when and how they'll officially tell us it was only for doors - Sneakily in the patch notes?
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    > @wormstache999 said:
    > EdithV wrote: »
    >
    > They really should just say the truth, I use a lot of cc but I feel sorry for others who got their hopes up. If they just said 'hey guys, 350 new door swatches!' most would be happy, this just leads to disappointment. Do they look on this forum?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The patch is supposed to go live in 4 days and 2 of them are the weekend. I really wonder when and how they'll officially tell us it was only for doors - Sneakily in the patch notes?

haha wouldn't put it past them!
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I am still pretty happy. This is very needed.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    I'm kinda hoping this leads to a systematic patching of new swatches to a lot of base game things.

I hope so too, because the base game desperately needs it.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited June 2019
    The hype and effort would be a bit more effective by being put into swatches on multiple pieces of furniture and clothing.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2019
    While you all make fun, builders are saying "Hallelujah". No more having to rely on CC to get a common theme when building houses or venues. I've been wanting more bathroom door swatches since base game, and particularly more unisex bathroom doors since the gender patch, so if we get those I'll be busy remodeling a lot of my venues.

I don’t see that anywhere. I am primarily a builder and I’m not saying hallelujah, take your own advice and don’t speak for other people.

[Removed, let's not put down how other users may play~Rtas] Doors and Windows desperately needs more swatches than brown and white.

If you don't find more door swatches beneficial, you simply aren't the target audience [Removed]. There's only so many house designs you can have when most of the base game windows and doors are two colours (and sometimes that light blue colour).

We desperately need more, and this hopefully is the start of more build swatches. We still need more Window swatches, and more floor swatches also. Most of Windows/Doors & Floors are base game only still to this day.

Building houses here and there you won't notice it, but building houses as your main gameplay, you do. And it's severely lacking more than CAS & Buy Mode. Build Mode has been overlooked severely since the game started.
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @jackjack_k hmmmm so she knew the 350 swatches was ONLY for doors, why not clarify that? Serious question. They all spend their whole working day scrolling twitter, liking tweets, and what not. Being SO productive. It’s not like they didn’t see the massive speculation set forth by the silly game they played with people. They totally did, and they said nothing. Even now, they have said nothing. Give up the hyper defense of the studio and let them own their poor communication efforts. They didn’t want to mislead people? Well then they should have clarified. They didn’t, and still haven’t. They are in hiding now from what it seems because they thought the EP would overshadow their ridiculous attempts at misleading players and it didn’t. They don’t need you gaslighting people on their forums and spreading lies to try and defend them.

Maybe it wasn’t finalised and they may have had a chance to add more elsewhere. So they could have confirmed what they had the budget for, but didn’t have it finalised on what it would be used for.

I honestly hope EA leave the fan base in the dark more often, because as soon as they tease something the fanbase set their own expectations.

I feel like only a small minority, including myself, were the ones saying “hang on guys, 350 would be on average could mean 35 objects getting 10 swatches, that’s not as much as you think” only for people to say “omg let us speculate”

The more EA keeps us in the dark, the less I have to deal with the fact people are COMPLAINING that doors are finally getting an update for free.

They’re trying to tell us stuff before they can confirm specifics and it’s clearly not working.

Hi Cause, meet Effect. Literally people go nuts for info because Maxis never has any info. I’m sorry other people inconvenience you because clearly only you matter on this earth, but if someone is interested about this product they’re gonna want info and if they only get it once in a blue moon they’re gonna expect it to carry a little weight.

Confirm specifics? Like how they confirmed 350 swatches? That’s a hard number, 350, like that is very specific. What, is it just coincidence that only doors get new swatches? They could have said 350 new swatches for doors. Or clarified after the fact even, but they didn’t. They rode that pony down the road and here we are like weeks later just finding out info they had back then but didn’t share because jazzing people up ahead of an EP announcement is more important for sales.

Every time that EA announce something early people start throwing tantrums because they can't know everything they want all at once.

Look at Get Together. EA announce it almost 4 months in advance, players start a huge backlash because the trailer didn't reveal enough.
    There was almost the same amount of backlash as the base game.

EA weren't ready to show much at Gamescom, so the club system, and half the objects weren't ready. So they only showed what was.
    But people were already throwing it under a bus, and calling it a flop even though the trailer was announced as a "first look" at Gamescon.

When the EP came out, however, it received lots of praise, and became (at the time) one of the highest fan voted packs on Metacritic and people loved the pack.
    But the pack still had months of anger and backlash, negative press etc. against it until Game Changes started uploading footage etc and people started calming down and getting excited.

It's clearly never good for EA to tease content until they are 100% ready to announce, because Lyndsay was clearly teasing, and not announcing. But she should have just said nothing at all and kept everyone in the dark, because people just simply aren't realistic.

They've said time and time again, they cannot announce specifics for unreleased content until it's close to launch. They can give us numbers, like how much of something is coming (like packs, or swatches it seems) but not *exactly* what it is.

I think most of the fanbase chooses not to listen to the conditions and just want it all, and if that's the case, EA should just be all or nothing, because every time they don't announce the "all" people get negative and it's immature.
  • Options
    While you all make fun, builders are saying "Hallelujah". No more having to rely on CC to get a common theme when building houses or venues. I've been wanting more bathroom door swatches since base game, and particularly more unisex bathroom doors since the gender patch, so if we get those I'll be busy remodeling a lot of my venues.

Had Lyndsay said nothing at all, people would be losing their minds over 350 swatches. They lost their minds over 1 swatch on 1 shelf.

People just started thinking that like, every object in the base game was getting new swatches when there's over 1500 objects in Buy Mode alone. People just went wild with the number and didn't think realistically.

But I'm glad actual builders are happy, because I know it's been a pain point for so long. We really need an update for base game windows too.
  • Options
    @loutredor wrote: »
    That does sound like a ridiculous number just for door swatches... I mean, sure, I can think of several doors that could use one or two more swatches, but 350?!
    The only way I could be happy about this is if they planned to do the same for other objects/windows/hair and eye colors in game which are in the most severe need of swatches in my opinion. Otherwise it just sounds like they missed an opportunity by concentrating all of their efforts on the doors, and that would be a ridiculous choice. But again, if they do the same with the other objects, and I really hope that is what they had in mind, then it is great they added that many! Because that means they will add just as many for the rest.

Other than the B/B items, I really hope we will see more swatches in CAS in the future. It's been 5 years since the game was released and I still can't make a sim with my natural hair color...

I'm thinking they're doing the game bit by bit starting with doors. I imagine they can't do it all at once, but will go section by section.

And 350 isn't really that much. That means at least 35 doors are getting 10 swatches, and most of the doors with swatches only have 2 - 5 swatches to start with. Most doors don't even have swatches at all. So it makes sense.
  • Options
    The hype and effort would be a bit more effective by being put into swatches on multiple pieces of furniture and clothing.

They've done that before, but when they try to focus on too many things at once, it loses effect.

If they do all the doors in one patch, all the windows in the next, add more floors in the other etc. it ends up being more for each rather than scattering across and missing items etc.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2019
    Personally I never even noticed them hyping it up (I do remember the three numbers thingy but I never followed up on it), and I wonder to what extent they did. But if they did allow a lot of hype to build then yes maybe they should've tamed it a little. On the other hand, this community likes to overhype itself a little too, which is why I think the announcement to release windows have become so short.

Anyhoo, I think in all honesty 350 swatches for around 100 objects aren't that many. Even if it had been for all kinds of objects then many of them would've gotten 1 or 0 new swatches. The positive thing is: if they do it for doors, they might end up doing it for other objects too. Let's hope they communicate their intent a little more clearly then.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    I'm kinda hoping this leads to a systematic patching of new swatches to a lot of base game things. I'm find with just doors for now, and the more I think about it, the more I prefer it. Because 350 swatches spread over all the base game item...I'd never see it, never really notice its impact. With the doors though, it will be so much more noticeable. And then, if they keep this up focusing on certain objects at a time: counters, windows, couches... it could really improve the game overall! Next could be 360 swatches for windows, 250 for counters, etc.

I can understand why they can't release 10,000 new swatches on one update. It sounds like a busier year, what with two GP releases, an EP release, a SP release, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a second EP in November.

This is a lot of speculation though. We don't know yet if they plan to keep releasing these swatch updates in future but I think it's a good sign.

I really think that this is what Maxis might be doing, adding in patches things that they didn't have funds or time to do before. If they are, I want windows next and then bed covers Maxis please.
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    350 swatches for doors only :| someone wanted 350 swatches for doors.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    :'( I was so hoping for new kitchen counter swatches as well
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Maybe they have something better in store for us once they move to 64 bit. Like a color wheel for furniture!!
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Is it me or is 350 overkill for just doors? Is it basegame only? I mean yeah there's that whole row of white doors with no other color and a few only have like, three, options...but 350?! When I first heard I was so excited because I thought the entire game was going to be more colorful...but now I find it's just doors (because that's what YouTubers make the most noise about...?)

I mean don't get me wrong we need everything we can get but it still feels like a lot for a niche section, and also...it was communicated poorly. Of course we would expect and hope for it to be for the whole game. Bet next we'll be getting 100 new items, only to find out it's just 100 new bars...😅
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2019
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Is it me or is 350 overkill for just doors? Is it basegame only? I mean yeah there's that whole row of white doors with no other color and a few only have like, three, options...but 350?! When I first heard I was so excited because I thought the entire game was going to be more colorful...but now I find it's just doors (because that's what YouTubers make the most noise about...?)

We do not know, it could be that it is more than just doors and the Game Changer was wrong, but it does kind of fits in to what some other YT Channels have complained about and wished for...

It could be that it is like what LeGardePourpre said:
    56 small doors, 11 medium doors and 2 big doors are in the basegame... that could means 5 new colors for each door.

From the hints I thought it was just going to be a few doors, like the one's they showed pictures from. But now I do not really know what they are planning. To me it would make more sense to make colors match, like making a black and white set for doors and windows for example. Or a wooden tone for different furniture.