Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

350 Swatches Are Doors ONLY!

Comments

• EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The community is always going to come up with bigger better ideas hints never work out good for them. But on this one I don't get it 350 swatches really is not that much divided between multiple items so I'm not sure what people were really expecting unless they were looking for as many items as possible with 1 new color swatch.

"Not being sure" is one thing. Knowing that all 350 new swatches are for doors only is entirely another. 350 swatches can go really far. And is a huge number , im not sure where you can view that as "not much". But it has indeed turned out to be not much at all.

I dont understand the confusion over why people were excited either.There is no Create-A-Style. People want new options for buy mode. She made a guessing game out of it and presented the swatches in a way that excited everyone so of course people were expecting more. Should we always have low expectations? Im guessing so :|
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    They only ever teased a different door in both screenshots.

Also, we are still getting 350 swatches, so we can match doors better.

I don’t understand why y’all are mad. If you paid attention to the screenshots they posted of the new swatches, they were all door swatches.

This is just because, the community went wild. Every company teases content this way, but The Sims community just goes wild with it. There’s very rarely, if ever, reasonable thought behind anything that’s said. It’s also jumping to the most absolute fantasy.

All I expected was that we’d get black and white swatches for a bunch of base game goods, and it looks like we got that with the doors, and the doors NEEDED updates over anything else because most of them had only 1 swatch and most of the more detailed ones only had 3 or so.

This is a welcome update for any builder. Doors not matching Windows was a huge annoyance. Windows have all these swatches and matching doors have nada.

I hope next they add matching swatches to fences and columns.

Most of the doors having only one swatch is a blatant lie. No need to lie jack. There’s like 4 of those, the rest have swatches.

Issuing a bunch of recolors for doors without any for the other items from the “set” just results in more non-matching things. Windows didn’t get any new swatches here. Arches, columns, fencing, gates. None of that. Don’t go on a tangent of lies when the game itself doesn’t even back up what you’re lying about.

Idk how you can claim to have paid attention when they posted two screenshots and in neither one did they specify anything about the swatches being limited to doors. In fact, they went out of their way to conceal that information! They still haven’t shared any additional info about these doors. They left that up to the free marketing squad and only one of them was decent enough to drop the bombshell. Any blowback they get from this is their own doing and is 100% justified. They have had so many chances to produce good quality communication and instead we got a silly game that was intended to mislead people. And would you look at that, it was successful! Lol
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2019
    They only ever teased a different door in both screenshots.

Also, we are still getting 350 swatches, so we can match doors better.

I don’t understand why y’all are mad. If you paid attention to the screenshots they posted of the new swatches, they were all door swatches.

This is just because, the community went wild. Every company teases content this way, but The Sims community just goes wild with it. There’s very rarely, if ever, reasonable thought behind anything that’s said. It’s also jumping to the most absolute fantasy.

All I expected was that we’d get black and white swatches for a bunch of base game goods, and it looks like we got that with the doors, and the doors NEEDED updates over anything else because most of them had only 1 swatch and most of the more detailed ones only had 3 or so.

This is a welcome update for any builder. Doors not matching Windows was a huge annoyance. Windows have all these swatches and matching doors have nada.

I hope next they add matching swatches to fences and columns.

Im so tired of the downplaying of the unprofessionalism. The responses are all like "you guys, how dare you have standards?" Chastising people because we are tired of the same old disappointments. The fanbase did not go "wild" they reacted understandably excitedly because SimGuruLyndsay made a guessing game out of it without clarifying and the hints and hype made it seem as if there would be a game changing update for players who are tired of the same drab decor and build mode choices.

It's not "our" fault how this was handled. And stop with the "any builder" would agree with this update stuff. Plenty of builders (including myself) complain about the lack of tools and variety in The Sims 4. They took away the ability for players to customize and handling announces like this lacks professionalism and integrity.

We’re still getting 350 swatches. I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal that they’re only for doors.

We need them for doors. There’s no “misleading” here. People speculated and they may be wrong or right. But at the end of the day, we’re still getting 350 more colour swatches in our game for us to use for free.

Lyndsay didn’t mislead anyone. It’s like how when we got quarterly teasers, people speculated wildly about some of them and then blame EA when they speculated wrong.

This isn’t a case of “we promised 350 but it is 350 swatches coming over 3 years”

She’s literally delivering what she promised, people just speculated wrong about what they would be for.

Own your own disappointment, this is why EA stop telling us stuff in advance because all it does is make people speculate way beyond what’s reasonable.

100% why they only confirmed the title for the Magic EP and no clues or visuals because people will just go wild and then complain when only 10% of the predictions may be right.

350 swatches could be 35 new objects with 10 swatches each. 350 is not a huge number but people saw it and were like “omg that’s like the whole base game getting new colours!!!” And I sat there and was like “it’s not that many” and people dismissed me and kept going down the path of madness.

So yeah, EA is revealing things closer and closer to release leaving huge gaps of nothing because clearly everything they tease something people just go overboard.

I think Lyndsay should have said nothing at all tbh, and I think all Guru’s should not tell us anything until it’s ready to pre-orders because the fanbase is clearly unable to be logical and keep expectations realistic.
    Post edited by jackjack_k on
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    There was nothing hyped, just stated there were 350 swatches coming.

I understand people are frustrated, but there was nothing to be deduced from the statement of 350 swatches. I don’t get why expectations went in so many ways.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    BOY wrote: »
    i would love some new hair color swatches.

This is what I really wanted and was hoping for.

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited June 2019
    The community is always going to come up with bigger better ideas hints never work out good for them. But on this one I don't get it 350 swatches really is not that much divided between multiple items so I'm not sure what people were really expecting unless they were looking for as many items as possible with 1 new color swatch.

"Not being sure" is one thing. Knowing that all 350 new swatches are for doors only is entirely another. 350 swatches can go really far. And is a huge number , im not sure where you can view that as "not much". But it has indeed turned out to be not much at all.

I dont understand the confusion over why people were excited either.There is no Create-A-Style. People want new options for buy mode. She made a guessing game out of it and presented the swatches in a way that excited everyone so of course people were expecting more. Should we always have low expectations? Im guessing so :|
    Seeing as there are about 48 base game doors if entry frames are not counted there are even more than 48. So just adding in a black and white swatch for each of them would use up 96 of the 350 swatches now add in matching multiple wood colors and its really not a lot with some of the current doors only having 1 swatch.
    Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @jackjack_k hmmmm so she knew the 350 swatches was ONLY for doors, why not clarify that? Serious question. They all spend their whole working day scrolling twitter, liking tweets, and what not. Being SO productive. It’s not like they didn’t see the massive speculation set forth by the silly game they played with people. They totally did, and they said nothing. Even now, they have said nothing. Give up the hyper defense of the studio and let them own their poor communication efforts. They didn’t want to mislead people? Well then they should have clarified. They didn’t, and still haven’t. They are in hiding now from what it seems because they thought the EP would overshadow their ridiculous attempts at misleading players and it didn’t. They don’t need you gaslighting people on their forums and spreading lies to try and defend them.

Maybe it wasn’t finalised and they may have had a chance to add more elsewhere. So they could have confirmed what they had the budget for, but didn’t have it finalised on what it would be used for.

I honestly hope EA leave the fan base in the dark more often, because as soon as they tease something the fanbase set their own expectations.

I feel like only a small minority, including myself, were the ones saying “hang on guys, 350 would be on average could mean 35 objects getting 10 swatches, that’s not as much as you think” only for people to say “omg let us speculate”

The more EA keeps us in the dark, the less I have to deal with the fact people are COMPLAINING that doors are finally getting an update for free.

They’re trying to tell us stuff before they can confirm specifics and it’s clearly not working.
    @jackjack_k hmmmm so she knew the 350 swatches was ONLY for doors, why not clarify that? Serious question. They all spend their whole working day scrolling twitter, liking tweets, and what not. Being SO productive. It’s not like they didn’t see the massive speculation set forth by the silly game they played with people. They totally did, and they said nothing. Even now, they have said nothing. Give up the hyper defense of the studio and let them own their poor communication efforts. They didn’t want to mislead people? Well then they should have clarified. They didn’t, and still haven’t. They are in hiding now from what it seems because they thought the EP would overshadow their ridiculous attempts at misleading players and it didn’t. They don’t need you gaslighting people on their forums and spreading lies to try and defend them.

Maybe it wasn’t finalised and they may have had a chance to add more elsewhere. So they could have confirmed what they had the budget for, but didn’t have it finalised on what it would be used for.

I honestly hope EA leave the fan base in the dark more often, because as soon as they tease something the fanbase set their own expectations.

I feel like only a small minority, including myself, were the ones saying “hang on guys, 350 would be on average could mean 35 objects getting 10 swatches, that’s not as much as you think” only for people to say “omg let us speculate”

The more EA keeps us in the dark, the less I have to deal with the fact people are COMPLAINING that doors are finally getting an update for free.

They’re trying to tell us stuff before they can confirm specifics and it’s clearly not working.

Hi Cause, meet Effect. Literally people go nuts for info because Maxis never has any info. I’m sorry other people inconvenience you because clearly only you matter on this earth, but if someone is interested about this product they’re gonna want info and if they only get it once in a blue moon they’re gonna expect it to carry a little weight.

Confirm specifics? Like how they confirmed 350 swatches? That’s a hard number, 350, like that is very specific. What, is it just coincidence that only doors get new swatches? They could have said 350 new swatches for doors. Or clarified after the fact even, but they didn’t. They rode that pony down the road and here we are like weeks later just finding out info they had back then but didn’t share because jazzing people up ahead of an EP announcement is more important for sales.

Seeing as there are about 48 base game doors if entry frames are not counted there are even more than 48. So just adding in a black and white swatch for each of them would use up 96 of the 350 swatches now add in matching multiple wood colors and its really not a lot with some of the current doors only having 1 swatch.

I wasn't focused on doors. I don't use twitter or other social media.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    I knew 350 swatches was too good to be true. This is why they should quit teasing with silly tweets trying to hype people up. Their communication really needs improved.

I agree with this.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I think most of us can agree that it's not the 350 swatches coming for doors that's the problem here, but the communication of the update, or lack thereof. Of course, you can always argue that nobody ever said the update wasn't just for doors, so technically we were never lied to about anything, but when you throw something like that into the room, especially after so many years of announcing upcoming content, experience should tell you the difference between things that are worthy of hyping, and things you better just state outright. This would have fit better into the latter category, rather than making a number puzzle out of it.

TS4 has made me hate building with its never-ending search for matching furniture that keeps forcing me to alter my plans, so I for one was hoping that this update would reduce some of the involuntary overtime I always spend in build mode. The doors are actually the least of my problems. And now, well, I guess I'll just keep downloading houses from the gallery rather than making my own until they also add new swatches for other items - which at least I'm hopeful they will eventually, with this being merely the first step.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Really super disappointing. I was hoping for new swatches for at least base game furniture, hair and other things, not just doors... :confused:

They could at least have told us that from the very start and not being so vague about it. Free new swatches is always welcome in my book, but 350 new colors for doors only? That's nuts and pretty boring.
  • PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    soo many people wanted more swatches for doors and now that they gave us 350 y'all are complaining. i have to laugh
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    edited June 2019

Hi Cause, meet Effect. Literally people go nuts for info because Maxis never has any info. I’m sorry other people inconvenience you because clearly only you matter on this earth, but if someone is interested about this product they’re gonna want info and if they only get it once in a blue moon they’re gonna expect it to carry a little weight.

Confirm specifics? Like how they confirmed 350 swatches? That’s a hard number, 350, like that is very specific. What, is it just coincidence that only doors get new swatches? They could have said 350 new swatches for doors. Or clarified after the fact even, but they didn’t. They rode that pony down the road and here we are like weeks later just finding out info they had back then but didn’t share because jazzing people up ahead of an EP announcement is more important for sales.

That's exactly what bothers me too - They never said it's for doors. Everytime they mentioned the number they kept it vague and then even said "It's impressive, but wait until you actually SEE it" which sounds like much more than door swatches, let's be honest here.
    They still haven't said anything. We only heard it from Game Changers. At this point I certainly hope the Game Changer was wrong because baiting us with that number and leaving it to the Game Changers to tell us is cowardly. And actually quite dumb even because they should learn from their mistakes - Vague comments and lack of informations have often led to disappointment and frustration here. It is not the first time.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Of course they would let Game changers be the bearer of bad news. It was a game changer that pointed out how empty and broken Strangerville houses were. It’s game changers that defend them when they are called out for bad practises especially things like poor communication. I.e vague statements. In fact the game changers engage in it. Remember the first person camera? One game changer said it would blow our socks off, another said it was a game changer. Then it was announced and the community was disappointed. Game changers actually made that situation worse.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited June 2019
    350 is a lot but not enough, the basegame needs 23,820 new color swatches (20 colors for the 1191 objects).
    And I don't talk about all the colors which are missing for the 67 windows, 159 wallpapers and 112 floors.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    Hey come on guys, credit where credit is due... they did give us a pure colour shelf... :neutral: (/sarcasm)
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    While you all make fun, builders are saying "Hallelujah". No more having to rely on CC to get a common theme when building houses or venues. I've been wanting more bathroom door swatches since base game, and particularly more unisex bathroom doors since the gender patch, so if we get those I'll be busy remodeling a lot of my venues.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    While you all make fun, builders are saying "Hallelujah". No more having to rely on CC to get a common theme when building houses or venues. I've been wanting more bathroom door swatches since base game, and particularly more unisex bathroom doors since the gender patch, so if we get those I'll be busy remodeling a lot of my venues.

I don’t see that anywhere. I am primarily a builder and I’m not saying hallelujah, take your own advice and don’t speak for other people.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Oh well thanks to Sims 4 Studio we can easily make our own new colors for build mode items and CAS stuff.
    Funny how jack keeps trying to defend these disasters. Even after 5 years. If you wanted a pink door then there you go. Free update. But I personally wanted more colors for build mode items like couches, counters, beds, tables, chairs, etc. The stuff that really does need better matches. Hardly anything goes together. Dinning rooms and kitchens hardly mix! I have to rely on CC swatches or whole new build mode items from places like thesimsrecource and download sets of CC. There you can get matching kitchens, dinning rooms, bathrooms, living rooms, and bedrooms no problem. If things can't match they look ugly sticking out and can ruin the whole theme of a build.
    Also there's a toilet swatch coming apparently? Yay? The last thing Sims 4 needs is more toilet stuff. We got the talking toilet everyone wants to stare at in City Living and the golden toilet from Get Famous that just reeks worse than the streets of San Fransisco.
    Honestly wish they were more in tune with the real customers, its what we want the consumer not what they want. If a bakery only made what they wanted and not for the consumer they would lose business. Its just facts and common sense. Make what the consumer wants or they will go elsewhere.
    Maybe next year we can get 350 more new swatches.....for windows. o:)
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • AwkwardAquaAwkwardAqua Posts: 58 Member
    I understand that people are upset over the lack of/misleading communication by Maxis. I know I am annoyed. However, could we possibly not take out our frustrations on people who are happy with the patch? Just as we are allowed to be upset with it, others are allowed to be happy. It's disheartening to see people just rip into one another over doors. <3
    giphy.gif
    Origin ID: awkwardaqua
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    Agreed. Why attack a person who likes doors? I personally am disappointed, but there’s nothing wrong with being happy with it
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • sunspritersunspriter Posts: 125 Member
    LOL what just doors?! I thought they implied shelves and other build things? Omg 😂😂😂😂

I don’t see that anywhere. I am primarily a builder and I’m not saying hallelujah, take your own advice and don’t speak for other people.

yeah they keep trying to say that, but that just isn't true. builders , a lot of us , aren't happy.