Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear SimGurus, MERMAIDS have no transformation...

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited June 2019

Guess my story telling is too mundane for the likes of you. I also normally do only regular sims for my story telling, not occult states. The things I dislike about the game have more to do with game performance and less to do with the looks. From what I gather just from reading, the ones upset are upset there is not "pretty looking" animation. I really do not care about how occult sims look when transforming, so I am not to blame.

Really? TS4 simmers ought to support each other even if they have different likes and dislikes. Because if something affects one group, it will affect the others as a whole. If you give the devs a pass on something you don't care about, then they might cut something out later on that you want. Look at the game itself - it's not as good as it can be because TS4 simmers just accept what they get and make excuses for it.

What more support do others need for the game to just "look more pretty?" There are pretty backdrops, pretty graphics, and pretty reused animation. There is enough "pretty" to go around in the game. What I am looking for is more substance in the gameplay rather than just how it looks. Maybe once they upgrade the game to 64 bit only, it will get more gameplay substance. With mermaids, I would assume they want to stay hidden/secret so why make a public spectacle type of animation. They were added to an expansion, so I assumed they were just as fleshed out as aliens who are also part of an expansion. It looks like those who like vampires or magic will get full "pretty looking" occult that some wanted. Mermaids are not the main feature to the pack. That seems to be more along the lines of conservation and eco-living.

I myself want more features and worthwhile gameplay, however just because they move to 64 bit does not always translate to them providing better tricks because some may as well depend on the engine capabilities. Everything I see in Sims 4 is candy for the eyes and they use that candy to serve it's purposes. Old school is out and New school is in and it is evident in this version which for me shows Sims 4 has the cabilities of an tablet/Smartphone game as it does not capitialize on any of the capablities of my systems outside of the GPU. What problems Sims 3 had back then should not even be an reason to say Sims 4 would have it especially with the rapid advancement of technology today and if an company takes the time to tweak what they have and it is not like Sims 4 is not having problems even if it is less powerful than Sims 3. I rather wait and see what EA/Maxis do to take advantage of the 64 bit tech and if they do that would be an plus and if they don't oh well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited June 2019
    It blows my mind how some people are always deffending the team against this little failures and things that The Sims 4 lacks so much. Its EA... Its one of the biggest game companies in this planet... Your exageration of political correctness scares me a lot!
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    don't go blaming other simmers there not making the game

Nope, if TS4 simmers keep just accepting whatever they get and not put pressure on the devs, then you'll continue to get plum content. This could also affect how TS5 is developed. I really can't stand this mentality. You're not doing anyone a good favor if you do that so people like you are therefore part of the problem.

When TS3 came out, people complained about the rabbit holes (because they didn't understand their real benefit) so the devs during the course of the entire TS3 run introduced content in the EPs and Sims 3 Store that simmers can use to make active versions of many of the rabbit holes. And that was a great thing!

TS4 has only a few years left. Don't you want whatever content is planned to be great? Then stop making excuses for EAxis and push them to do better. It's not like they don't have the ability or funds - they do!

yes! i don't know where this EA/maxis doesn't have money idea comes from? EA is billion dollar company yet for some weird reason we have simmers acting like they are broke and struggling new business. EA has the time and money and if they wanted to they could really put some hard work into game and wait until it's finished instead rushing it out the door. That's why sims 4 started off so poorly and that's due to rushing and other issues.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm going to wait and see if I like the way they dealt with it when playing. I'm hoping to play some more secretive mermaids/sirens that come to land to mingle. Not sure I'd want a transformation to be noticed personally although I'm not sure yet. I guess I could have my sim eat the kelp in a secluded location only... so they could transform in private. They have already made many transformations in this game so I doubt it was just overlooked. It was probably a choice to do it this way. I mean if a ghost eats ambrosia that transformation is there. That the sim is/was a ghost is also pretty obvious though.
    I have to say I don't understand when people talk about simmers accepting things and then say out of the other side of their mouth that we have to support each other, because obviously they mean we have to support what certain "right" people want only. We all have different wants for the game and my "accepting" may very well be liking/enjoying what is made and the choices that have been made to bring it to us.
    This particular choice is a still a wait and see for me depending on how I play my game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    So let's wait and see who's gullible when Island Living drops

What does this mean even?
    no, but they are making the excuses . and the devs will not care to make this game do anything besides the very minimal when their player base is so gullible. simgurugrant said himself that if they think players will go for anything that is what they will give them.
    The OP asked what we thought of Sims 4 island living and im answering. It's shallow and lacks a lot of gameplay value.
    The pack is lazy to me. It's a stripped down, lesser version if the previous Island pack we had.
    I don't like it enough to say a whole lot of good about it. I will still buy it because it has some decent build/buy

You're accusing simmers of making excuses for the developers and accepting whatever they're given. How are you any different?

Yeah, if one is buying the pack, then they’re part of the problem as well, according to some people here....

So, according to what some people say here—that means they also “accept the low standards for Sims”, too!

If you’re buying the pack, then welcome to the party of Sims 4 players (who are always being insulted or talked down a lot by other simmers if they’re not boycotting a pack), my friend! :smile:

I mean, us simmers “have to support each other”, right? Like, supporting their right to have agency in choosing whether to buy or not, right?

Or should we berate and put down all simmers who dare to buy any pack? (Saying we have no tastes, no standards, and are ruining the Sims brand, etc.)

Because saying players are accepting low standards and are ruining the Sims series for daring to buy a pack is so very supportive of other simmers, right?

Answer: No, it’s not. We should be focusing on talking about what we feel are the flaws and limitations of the GAME, not about complaining about the players who buy/enjoy it.

I understand being frustrated at the limitations and flaws and at people defending said limitations and flaws. But, please, respect those of us who just buy and enjoy the packs.

And respect some of us who may not see some limitations or flaws as a big deal. If you make topics that ask open ended questions like, “What do you think about this aspect of the game?” or “Is this a game breaker for you?”, then people can express their feelings on those aspects of the GAME, not just talking bad about other players for enjoying a game.

Sorry, but this bothered me and I had to speak up. Hope the rest of the thread stays on the actual topic and not talk about other simmers.

So... Let’s talk about what we would like to see for mermaid transformation, the topic on hand.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    So, let’s back for the topic on hand: the mermaid transformation we would like to see.

I personally love the water twirls or the water twirls with the fish swimming around the mermaid in CAS mode, and would loved to have seen that for Live Mode.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2019
    So let's wait and see who's gullible when Island Living drops

What does this mean even?
    no, but they are making the excuses . and the devs will not care to make this game do anything besides the very minimal when their player base is so gullible. simgurugrant said himself that if they think players will go for anything that is what they will give them.
    The OP asked what we thought of Sims 4 island living and im answering. It's shallow and lacks a lot of gameplay value.
    The pack is lazy to me. It's a stripped down, lesser version if the previous Island pack we had.
    I don't like it enough to say a whole lot of good about it. I will still buy it because it has some decent build/buy

You're accusing simmers of making excuses for the developers and accepting whatever they're given. How are you any different?

It's hard not to think simmers of today are o.k. with just about anything and everything. The reason being quite frankly they are. It doesn't matter who complains (someone who loves TS4 or someone who tolerates TS4 and still plays it sometimes) there are those who will always defend it. Some claim it's perfect, absolutely perfect, it makes you wonder about their credibility. I deal in facts, not opinions. When anyone should know it's not perfect. Others enter threads just to defend the developers, they are grown people, who hopefully have on their big boy pants and can handle some critiquing of what isn't good, what is half done, and what is bugged. Or looks to be just slap- happy code thrown into a game. Fact is, this may not be important to you (you will buy it anyway) but the fact is, other games had the transformation so fact you paid more to get a pack that will have less AKA no transformation. Those are just facts. It comes without a transformation...so that is less.

And there is no arguing with the previous CM who stated core fans of TS4 (or the series) are no longer the target to cater to, because they will buy it anyway. Now, if Maxis is saying that and believing it, and can prove it, then that would also be a fact. Simmers will buy anyway is what she said, and they don't have to worry about core fans of TS4 liking it, wanting it or not, she said they would buy content anyway. And I see she was perfectly correct in those facts.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    *sighs* Could we just talk about the mermaids and not players?

You know, actual constructive criticism of the content of the game.

Blaming players or complaining about the new fanbase is not very constructive, (in my opinion) and feels like it’s all about antagonizing a portion of the fanbase and making Sims 4 players the villains.

Now, can we go back to mermaids, or is this whole thread about arguing with people and looking down on people?
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Blaming players or complaining about the new fanbase is not very constructive, (in my opinion) and feels like it’s all about antagonizing a portion of the fanbase and making Sims 4 players the villains.

Now, can we go back to mermaids, or is this whole thread about arguing with people and looking down on people?

Mermaids don't have a transformation visual. It costs too much money and had to be avoided for something else possibly. Alright, they have explained how TS4 works. If you want one thing you have to give up another. That was stated quite a few times by gurus in nicer terms than I have put it. But the question remains why did older games have so much more in EPs compared to TS4? And why do those choices have to be suffered by players? We never heard this stuff before, and we got EPs that expanded all of the game in past versions. Here it's either or and a lot less for more money. (My begging days are over, it's five years too late for me to continue begging.)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Mermaids don't have a transformation visual. It costs too much money and had to be avoided for something else possibly. Alright, they have explained how TS4 works. If you want one thing you have to give up another. That was stated quite a few times by gurus in nicer terms than I have put it. But the question remains why did older games have so much more in EPs compared to TS4? And why do those choices have to be suffered by players? We never heard this stuff before, and we got EPs that expanded all of the game in past versions. Here it's either or and a lot less for more money. (My begging days are over, it's five years too late for me to continue begging.)

Cool. That’s a good constructive argument that focuses on the game and the company’s goals and doesn’t specially put down the Sims 4 players. Thank you.
    (She/her)
  • Options

Cool. That’s a good constructive argument that focuses on the game and the company’s goals and doesn’t specially put down the Sims 4 players. Thank you.

If you have problems with my previous statement, then you need to speak to Maxis and a former CM, they are the people saying TS4 players' money is guaranteed. They must have the money to prove it. You may not like it, but it is a fact.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

If you have problems with my previous statement, then you need to speak to Maxis and a former CM, they are the people saying TS4 players' money is guaranteed. They must have the money to prove it. You may not like it, but it is a fact.

Okay? It is a fact about EA doing their thing and knowing simmers will buy. Cool, fine. Talk about how EA thinks little of the fans, I guess.

...But that’s different than when other simmers talk bad about other simmers for enjoying the game. Shaming people for buying a game and saying they have low standards, bad tastes, etc. Not cool and very rude, I feel. :(

I’ll be buying the packs, so I’m going to disappoint those people who want people like me to boycott the games. Well, too bad! I decide what to buy for myself, and no one can ever shame me for getting what I enjoy.

Now, again, I would have liked mermaid transformations, but it’s not that big of a deal breaker for me, personally. I can still say what I would have liked and provide feedback, but I’m not boycotting the game and I’m not shaming other simmers or putting down a portion of the fanbase like some in this thread were doing.

I refuse to be talked down about my buying choices, so I’m going to keep speaking up about that bad attitude.

So let’s keep the focus on the actual topics and giving feedback on the actual content of the games and not putting down actual human people who just like buying the games, okay?

Personally for me:

Devs/gurus, I would have loved a transformation, especially like the ones from CAS!

This was a missed opportunity, and I hope the magic pack has less anti-climatic magic effects.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    It might have something to do with the lore of the mermaids for the island, but it still seems like a cop-out. Even if it was supposed to be a secret I feel like they could have animated a transformation in that wasn't so much of a light show. But it seems as though they reuse a lot of animations, and don't see why they couldn't use the one they made from CAS to begin with...
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2019
    The Sims 4 is well known for making great digital design (is that the department) for FX's, which is where I can give credit. With the transformation mermaids have in TS4, it looks very poorly-done with the creativity in the comparison with the TV-fiction show I grew up watching that orientated around the same premiese:

https://youtu.be/8FTcL_9dmrs?t=715
    11:55-12:22 timestamp.

Couldn't they like done something similar to that? Not exact, but of similar nature (something happens in water, special kelp cuts in Sim's leg unknowingly in water), accompanied by subtle moodlets ("Wow, I feel fishy). Something that they want secrecy, but the visual effect along with Sims giving strong emotional reactions (animation wise I mean) gives that off an overwhelming mystery for the storyline of "What just happened??!!!". The lack of ambient sound animation is no body than somebody releasing a fart and enthusiastically proclaiming "wow lol am a murmaid, kewl1".
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    tuxedo94tuxedo94 Posts: 11 New Member
    They could have used the same animation as when the mermaids get in the water if they ever lacked ressources...
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright cool it off in here, not every thread on new content needs to turn into an argument over what was in previous games or what should've been brought in, everyone's got their differing opinions on this and that's completely fine but let's leave it out with talking about how people are "part of the problem" just because they don't have the same issues you do with a game, and vice versa. Whether you like whats in the game or coming to it or not, we're all people who enjoy playing The Sims, so there's absolutely no need to start bickering with each other.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited June 2019
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    Alright cool it off in here, not every thread on new content needs to turn into an argument over what was in previous games or what should've been brought in, everyone's got their differing opinions on this and that's completely fine but let's leave it out with talking about how people are "part of the problem" just because they don't have the same issues you do with a game, and vice versa. Whether you like whats in the game or coming to it or not, we're all people who enjoy playing The Sims, so there's absolutely no need to start bickering with each other.

Exactly! I am asking for a feature that should be put in, not how some people are or aren‘t a problem. Everyone, please focus on my constructive criticism that mermaids should have a transform sequence, just like all other occults do.

I personally think Island Living is nearly perfect, my only critique is that the transformation of a human into a mermaid should have an animation or a visual indicator
    Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2019
    I really don't care that much, I am more interested in how other sims actually react to Mermaids and what you can do with mermaids. Game play and interactions are far more important than just how pretty or cool something looks and like that they actually spent time on more important things, such as actually improving the mermaids themselves. Animations cost time and money (not to mention all the coding that goes into the game) sometimes they need to make choices on what is best for the game over all.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah, I don’t really care that much about an animation for the initial turning into a mermaid. I’m just glad they brought the special kelp back since we can’t change supernatural types in cas.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Yes, let's keep expectations low so EAxis can continue to cut more features out of each pack and charge more. This is disappointing that you think my posts are bad - I'm urging TS4 simmers to want more for their money - at least the same great quality and quantity that TS1 through TS3 offered. Simmers got their moneys worth with those iterations. As it is now, TS4 simmers are being ripped off for what little they're getting in each pack for TS4. I don't appreciate being censored like this when I have their best interests at heart.

On top of that, I was genuinely interested in the Island Living pack, but the more I found out what was cut and the more that people made excuses for it, just made me decide not to get it at all. That mentality is just crazy to me.

I'll calm down. This is just very disappointing is all.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    As it is now, TS4 simmers are being ripped off for what little they're getting in each pack for TS4. I don't appreciate being censored like this when I have their best interests at heart.

I don't feel ripped off
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,955 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    As it is now, TS4 simmers are being ripped off for what little they're getting in each pack for TS4. I don't appreciate being censored like this when I have their best interests at heart.

I don't feel ripped off

Neither do I. 😊 And I appreciate it but I definitely don't need anyone worrying about my best interests.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Exactly! I am asking for a feature that should be put in, not how some people are or aren‘t a problem. Everyone, please focus on my constructive criticism that mermaids should have a transform sequence, just like all other occults do.

I personally think Island Living is nearly perfect, my only critique is that the transformation of a human into a mermaid should have an animation or a visual indicator

Yes, this. :smile: I wish for a transformation or visual cue as well for the mermaids transitioning between the forms.

While I do have some criticism about the pack (lack of underwater lots, rabbit hole lifeguards, lack of supernatural traits for children), I am still wanting the pack, and I don’t appreciate being shamed/patronized for that. I still like the other features that come with the pack, and I still love the mermaids.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    An animation would have been nice! I kind of hope they will consider patching it in, I'm sure many people would appreciate it. It doesn't need to be super fancy, just something that shows they've underwent a change :)
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited June 2019
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

I don't feel ripped off

Neither do I. 😊 And I appreciate it but I definitely don't need anyone worrying about my best interests.

<3 Im worried about my own interests. I don't want to see the Sims 5 be another situation like Sims 4, where its "newer, but not better". Sims 3 was far more advanced than sims 2. And sims 2 was a HUGE leap ahead from Sims 1. With the move from Sims 3 to Sims 4, there was no huge leap forward gameplay or feature wise. I want Sims 5 to move the sims series forward , like the other games did for the franchise :)<3
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."