Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck?

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Speaking about updates, there's a new Feature Windows 10 update coming out soon (April)? so I'm glad that there are no new packs coming out at the same time. https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02/windows-10-update-features-history/
    It's reserving 7 gigabytes of your hard drive to itself, unusable to you so make sure you have plently of room! That might count on those small SSD drives.

Several times both Maxis' Patches and W10 updates have coincided on the same Tuesday for me with long download times.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Since StrangerVille is the last pack we get until it changes over to 64 bit, I think they should have just ended sims4 for everyone. It already has ran 4-5 years now, let it die!

I would be content with it ending and waiting till sims5 came out. That would give them time to fix some bugs for people, even though I never had many at all.

I am tired of people saying the one's that wanted the players on low end computers to enjoy the game also, only to say that they aren't sincere now? Well, you changed my mind..............buy a new computer or upgrade if you want to play.

If I can't play it, I have other games I can play.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    64Bit machines have been around since 2007. I'm not sure why anyone would have purchased a 32 bit machine, like holding on to XP long after Windows 7 had been going for several years and now Windows 10. I'm not sure why EA allowed them to go back and grab old integrated graphics and very old Intel chips or Nvidia chips that were extremely old cards even when people were playing TS3. It's always made me wonder why TS4's requirements included very old cards, systems and chips even before TS3 was even produced.

Some people were still using XP back in like 2015 I remember them complaining when EA finally dropped their support for it. I more then understand people holding onto an old computer for as long as possible I always run mine to the absolute end of their lifespans but I also understand that if I get lucky and can hold onto my current computer long enough sooner or later technology is going to have moved far beyond me.

I can definitely sympathize with people not being able to continue playing the game. However this is definitely a step that EA and The Sims NEEDS to make going forward and I look forward to what it brings even if (or especially if) it just means that bugs can be controlled easier going forward.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Since StrangerVille is the last pack we get until it changes over to 64 bit, I think they should have just ended sims4 for everyone. It already has ran 4-5 years now, let it die!

I would be content with it ending and waiting till sims5 came out. That would give them time to fix some bugs for people, even though I never had many at all.

I am tired of people saying the one's that wanted the players on low end computers to enjoy the game also, only to say that they aren't sincere now? Well, you changed my mind..............buy a new computer or upgrade if you want to play.

They can't do that, they have a signed contract to produce what they were told to produce and accepted. The CEO and other heads of EA is the ones who decides if it ends in the three years or gets extended longer - period.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

@Writin_Reg Thank you for the info. If anyone knows about the sim stuff, I know its you. I read a lot of your post and you have a lot of knowledge on this stuff.

It was a bad day for me yesterday, health wise. Hopefully today will be better :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    @Writin_Reg Thank you for the info. If anyone knows about the sim stuff, I know its you. I read a lot of your post and you have a lot of knowledge on this stuff.

It was a bad day for me yesterday, health wise. Hopefully today will be better :)

Well a few years ago I had a dear friend that was an artist there at Maxis for a few years during Sims 2, as well as two relatives who worked over in some of EA's other games (EA Sports). So you learn how EA works. And no, they never gave me any heads up when they were working there - lol, not a one.

I hope you feel better today too. I know well what you mean - I have my share of bad days. I could do without most of them for sure - especially like the one that put me in the hospital in Septic shock the last two weeks of January. Didn't see that coming. It is easier to talk about the Sims and fuss about them. LOL. So I definitely feel for you.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Speaking about updates, there's a new Feature Windows 10 update coming out soon (April)? so I'm glad that there are no new packs coming out at the same time. https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02/windows-10-update-features-history/
    It's reserving 7 gigabytes of your hard drive to itself, unusable to you so make sure you have plently of room! That might count on those small SSD drives.

Several times both Maxis' Patches and W10 updates have coincided on the same Tuesday for me with long download times.

Not only space also time as I get very impatient and some of those updates can take more than 30 minutes to DL and than install. I sometimes just go take an nap an let it do it's thing.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Sims 4 is already 64-bit...it’s just ending support for 32-bit.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Honestly, it’s 2019. Most computers made in the past few years are 64-bit. It’s all about faster and better. If you have a lower end computer, you can still play the Sims 4 Legacy version. Just no new updates or access online. Does that suck, maybe. But more than likely, your old rig wouldn’t be able to handle the new stuff anyway 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    So much selfishness in the community. What about those of us who love TS4 and haven't gotten packs that they want yet, like Witches, University, etc? TS4 isn't complete yet and I'm so glad for that.

If there is a 5 planned, it would be the same people who worked on 4 working on it. Many of you still wouldn't be satisfied.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Goldmoldar I found a way to speed up those Windows 10 Download updates (not Origin's). I put up the Settings in Windows Update, Advanced settings to the highest for allowing Microsoft to use others' PCs to help download to mine during Updates and turned them off (it wants to use yours to help do the opposite) down to minimum after I'd got them. Selfish I know but it did shorten the download time for the latest April update. :)
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2019
    mika wrote: »
    So much selfishness in the community. What about those of us who love TS4 and haven't gotten packs that they want yet, like Witches, University, etc? TS4 isn't complete yet and I'm so glad for that.

If there is a 5 planned, it would be the same people who worked on 4 working on it. Many of you still wouldn't be satisfied.

It's not selfishness, it's practicality, progress, and awareness. Technologies have grown and changed at a pretty steady rate since the late seventies.
    64 bit has been around since 2007. Pretty much everyone jumped on board right away, but kept backwards compatibility all this time. Some companies like NVidia dropped their support over a year ago, and now everyone else is following suite. Twelve years to support any one technology when you don't have to, is actually amazing.
    And I know this has been said a few times in this thread, because it's true, EA would be getting less flack now if they'd just made Sim's 4 64 bit from day one.
    I'm not, nor do I think anyone else is, unsympathetic to those that still have 32 bit right now. If I were in that position, I'd be bummed. But, it's just how things work.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    @Goldmoldar I found a way to speed up those Windows 10 Download updates (not Origin's). I put up the Settings in Windows Update, Advanced settings to the highest for allowing Microsoft to use others' PCs to help download to mine during Updates and turned them off (it wants to use yours to help do the opposite) down to minimum after I'd got them. Selfish I know but it did shorten the download time for the latest April update. :)

Thanks for the info will be doing that and I am selfish on that myself. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Sims 5 definitely won't support 32-bit, so how would that solve the problem for people with very old computers? It's not necessarily low-end computers that are the problem - you can get some fairly inexpensive laptops these days, and they won't have the processing speed or capacity of an expensive gaming rig, but they will be 64-bit.

It doesn't make sense to spend time fixing bugs that affect an increasingly smaller group of Simmers. You're dealing with outdated graphics cards (because the card makers no longer support 32-bit) and operating systems that are given minimal support. I do appreciate that they've tried to make the game accessible to people who can't buy an expensive gaming computer every couple of years to keep up, and I think they're still doing that.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited April 2019
    Who didn't see this coming?

EA should have known better. It was unreasonable for them to believe that they could keep piling content onto a system that could not support more than 4GBs of RAM. Good grief, didn't they learn that lesson with TS3?

EA should have started with 64-bit from the get go. But since they didn't, they should live with their mistake instead of forcing paying customers to upgrade or be left behind. Dropping 32-bit now is really terrible public relations.

I'm sorry to those of you who won't be able to 'make the jump'. EA should have never made promises that they couldn't keep. Unfortunately, though, it's nothing new.
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....

What a sweeping generalization, and frankly I disagree. The decision to not only support, but actively tailor the game to low end machines has never made any sense. Seriously. It made even less sense when they upgraded the base game to 64bit and did virtually nothing with that for the longest time.

Just because they sold this game on the mindset that it could run on a modded toaster doesn’t mean they actually snatched up a bunch of players who fit into that market. Even if they did, there’s no guarantee that they’ve been buying content regularly. Let’s not forget the “excuse” that’s tossed around for having such old hardware is the “high” cost of buying a new one or upgrading; if they can’t find money to better their machine I don’t suppose the money for Sims packs comes along any easier.

This whole thing seems to be being blown out of proportion by people who frankly have hated on the game being 32bit for years and are now suddenly speaking up for the little guy when it’s being dropped. This is not a big deal, if the game had a huge pool of 32bit players then that would be different, but clearly if they can drop support for that in mid-2019 they clearly don’t stand to lose much. As someone who is NOT a huge fan of Sims 4, or virtually anything they have done with the game thus far, this is a good thing. Doesn’t mean they’re going to take the game in a better direction, but at least what they make now won’t be tailored to near-obsolete hardware.

You're dead on that EA should never have released the game for 32-bit systems in the first place. Executives at EA have demonstrated a consistent lack of foresight.

Nevertheless, on principle, they shouldn't change to 64-bit only. Not now. It would be just one more promise that EA has broken.

It doesn't matter if only a handful of people are affecting by this, they're still paying customers, just like anyone else. They also happen to be customers that EA purposely courted with promises that the game would be able to work on their computers.

No matter which side of this coin a customer lands on, it sets a bad precedent.

Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

EA should have known better. It was unreasonable for them to believe that they could keep piling content onto a system that could not support more than 4GBs of RAM. Good grief, didn't they learn that lesson with TS3?

EA should have started with 64-bit from the get go. But since they didn't, they should live with their mistake instead of forcing paying customers to upgrade or be left behind. Dropping 32-bit now is really terrible public relations.

I'm sorry to those of you who won't be able to 'make the jump'. EA should have never made promises that they couldn't keep. Unfortunately, though, it's nothing new.
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....

What a sweeping generalization, and frankly I disagree. The decision to not only support, but actively tailor the game to low end machines has never made any sense. Seriously. It made even less sense when they upgraded the base game to 64bit and did virtually nothing with that for the longest time.

Just because they sold this game on the mindset that it could run on a modded toaster doesn’t mean they actually snatched up a bunch of players who fit into that market. Even if they did, there’s no guarantee that they’ve been buying content regularly. Let’s not forget the “excuse” that’s tossed around for having such old hardware is the “high” cost of buying a new one or upgrading; if they can’t find money to better their machine I don’t suppose the money for Sims packs comes along any easier.

This whole thing seems to be being blown out of proportion by people who frankly have hated on the game being 32bit for years and are now suddenly speaking up for the little guy when it’s being dropped. This is not a big deal, if the game had a huge pool of 32bit players then that would be different, but clearly if they can drop support for that in mid-2019 they clearly don’t stand to lose much. As someone who is NOT a huge fan of Sims 4, or virtually anything they have done with the game thus far, this is a good thing. Doesn’t mean they’re going to take the game in a better direction, but at least what they make now won’t be tailored to near-obsolete hardware.

You're dead on that EA should never have released the game for 32-bit systems in the first place. Executives at EA have demonstrated a consistent lack of foresight.

Nevertheless, on principle, they shouldn't change to 64-bit only. Not now. It would be just one more promise that EA has broken.

It doesn't matter if only a handful of people are affecting by this, they're still paying customers, just like anyone else. They also happen to be customers that EA purposely courted with promises that the game would be able to work on their computers.

When did EA promise that they wouldn't make the game 64-bit only in the future? Where did explicitly come out and promise people who bought the game that it would work on their computer when they can't know what computers people own?

The game will still work on their computers, they aren't taking away their ability to play the content that they've already paid for.

So what promise have they broken?

And then by your words any of their EP's that raised the minimum specs also broke their promise. Were you up in arms then about them breaking that promise?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    The game will still work on their computers, they aren't taking away their ability to play the content that they've already paid for.

I think this is an important point for people upset about the change to keep in mind. They aren't losing anything they bought already. And nowhere, in no business ever, is it expected to halt progress to keep old customers. They always move forward with the aim of bringing in new ones, and hope some old ones come along. It's on the customer to either move forward too or not.
    The only thing odd about this whole situation is that it's happening mid-game production stream. But, that's because EA made the mistake of not starting out as they should have with it, and now everyone else is dumping 32 bit support and forcing their hand.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Agreed. And I can't remember how to check if my computer is 32-Bit or 64-Bit, so I'm probably gonna have to wait until June to find out the hard way.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

When did EA promise that they wouldn't make the game 64-bit only in the future? Where did explicitly come out and promise people who bought the game that it would work on their computer when they can't know what computers people own?

And then by your words any of their EP's that raised the minimum specs also broke their promise. Were you up in arms then about them breaking that promise?

I wouldn't say promised but they did say that people with lower end specs would have a better experience and that basically they wanted to make sure people, no matter the specs of their computer, have a great experience.

Even though I agree with this move, I wouldn't call it great that the experience of TS4 is ending if you're a 32 bit user who likes the game but the game goes on for others. They can still play but the game, but even though it hasn't actually ended it will essentially have ended for them until they upgrade. Even if it is a small minority it would've been better to not have gone this route at all and have been 64 bit from the start.
    "We're really excited to say that players on lower end machines are going to have a much better experience on The Sims 4 than they did with The Sims 3," producer Ryan Vaughn told Digital Spy.

He added: "We know that our players have a wide range of different PC specs. We want to make sure that somebody playing on a lower end machine has just as great an experience as somebody on a higher end machine.

https://www.digitalspy.com/videogames/gamescom/a507006/the-sims-4-to-run-better-on-low-end-machines-than-sims-3-says-maxis/
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options

I wouldn't say promised but they did say that people with lower end specs would have a better experience and that basically they wanted to make sure people, no matter the specs of their computer, have a great experience.

Even though I agree with this move, I wouldn't call it great that the experience of TS4 is ending if you're a 32 bit user who likes the game but the game goes on for others. They can still play but the game, but even though it hasn't actually ended it will essentially have ended for them until they upgrade. Even if it is a small minority it would've been better to not have gone this route at all and have been 64 bit from the start.
    "We're really excited to say that players on lower end machines are going to have a much better experience on The Sims 4 than they did with The Sims 3," producer Ryan Vaughn told Digital Spy.

He added: "We know that our players have a wide range of different PC specs. We want to make sure that somebody playing on a lower end machine has just as great an experience as somebody on a higher end machine.

https://www.digitalspy.com/videogames/gamescom/a507006/the-sims-4-to-run-better-on-low-end-machines-than-sims-3-says-maxis/

My response was to someone saying that this move is just another promise EA has broken. I've asked them to find where EA said that promise.

As to the quote from Ryan, I would say that anything spoken regarding a game that's fixing to launch is only in regards to that specific game. Not any expansion, stuff pack, or other such add on. So they haven't really gone away from that short of them losing access to the gallery and no more patches. The latter should be expected; the former is likely due to how they chose to code the gallery - if it's not then I have no idea why they would given the game's decision to just replace anything it can't find in game.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I think when they are saying low end, they are meaning in age and megabytes not cost. 64 bit has been available for over a decade and Sims 4 has always technically been a 64 bit game, with 32 bit support. They've given people 5 years to upgrade. The 6 year old machine I replaced today was 64 bit. My husband said he thinks the last 32 bit only machine we had was 10-12 years ago. To me, and probably to EA, anything over a few years old is low end by current standards.
    I don't think it's a broken promise, so much as a difference in opinion on what low end means.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

My response was to someone saying that this move is just another promise EA has broken. I've asked them to find where EA said that promise.

As to the quote from Ryan, I would say that anything spoken regarding a game that's fixing to launch is only in regards to that specific game. Not any expansion, stuff pack, or other such add on. So they haven't really gone away from that short of them losing access to the gallery and no more patches. The latter should be expected; the former is likely due to how they chose to code the gallery - if it's not then I have no idea why they would given the game's decision to just replace anything it can't find in game.

The thing is, for some people unless you specify just the base or a specific pack, when somebody says 'experience' the game they view it as the whole thing, base game and packs included. So when he said they'll experience the game better than TS3 I think that what went through some players minds was that they'll better experience the game as a whole, base and packs, because for them TS3 as a whole was rough on their computer. So to those who interpret the experience of The Sims 4 as every release with The Sims 4 in the title I could see how it would feel like them going back on their word.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The thing is, for some people unless you specify just the base or a specific pack, when somebody says 'experience' the game they view it as the whole thing, base game and packs included. So when he said they'll experience the game better than TS3 I think that what went through some players minds was that they'll better experience the game as a whole, base and packs, because for them TS3 as a whole was rough on their computer. So to those who interpret the experience of The Sims 4 as every release with The Sims 4 in the title I could see how it would feel like them going back on their word.

I agree as with each pack is engineered as not to hurt performance and not use specs according each system does not make each release spectacular. I must say when Sims 2 and Sims 3 was in production I would get excited for each release. However with Sims 4 I find that is not the case as I know each pack does not have the power of it's predcessor and again for the reason of playing it safe and having an powerful system does not benefit the player. They cater to the lowest denominator, the users of low end systems and that is my honest opinion.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited April 2019

When you launch a game in 32-bit, it's implied that the game will remain 32-bit, don't you think? Those with 32-bit systems purchased with the idea that they would be able to play the game and its expansions.

I don't recall any version of the series where the underpinnings of the actual game were changed like this. Not RAM or video requirements, but the actual underpinnings of the game. How is that not breaking faith with the consumer?

Exactly.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options

When you launch a game in 32-bit, it's implied that the game will remain 32-bit, don't you think? Those with 32-bit systems purchased with the idea that they would be able to play the game and its expansions.

I don't recall any version of the series where the underpinnings of the actual game were changed like this. Not RAM or video requirements, but the actual underpinnings of the game. How is that not breaking faith with the consumer?

Exactly.

Sims 2 with Securom. And they didn't even announce it until we had bought the pack with it. People with CD/DVD burning software on their computer suddenly found themselves unable to play the game even though they wouldn't use that software to pirate the game. Just because actual pirates used that software to pirate games.

And this change is likely not up to the Sims team and they may have thought when they launched the game that they would be fine until Sims 5 with 32 bit, but technology is ever evolving and EA probably forced their hand. Or they made the change after looking at the numbers and what bugs they could likely fix by going 64 bit only and what they could add that would not be able to if they continued to keep 32 bit support.

And trust me, if a large number of players were affected, trust me this would not be happening. There's probably a small percentage of players who are affected by this decision and chances are those players will be forced to upgrade their computer sooner rather than later just due to the age of the computer that they are likely playing on.

It's not breaking any kind of faith or going back on any kind of word.

And again you're talking of people thinking like that EA promised that they would be able to play the game and all of it's EP's. Did you get upset when EA raised the minimum requirements with Seasons and Pets? That meant that some players were no longer able to play all EP's. This is all it is, EA raising the minimum requirements to 64 bit.

You really need to try not to treat everything a game company says about things that have not been released as a promise or something set in stone. How willing would you be to share information about upcoming releases if something about what you said was changed before the game launched and now people out there are accusing you of lying or breaking a promise?

Stuff happens. Especially at game companies. Management changes. Priorities shift. Technology changes. Things that sounded possible on paper turn out to not be possible or not feasible given budget. Holding game companies to the letter of what they said is just asking for disappointment. Always treat what they are talking about as only related to what they are about to release and with a grain of salt if it isn't set to launch within the week.