Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck?

1234568...Next

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2019
    Cynna wrote: »
    When you launch a game in 32-bit, it's implied that the game will remain 32-bit, don't you think? Those with 32-bit systems purchased with the idea that they would be able to play the game and its expansions.

Except, they didn't, not really. Sims 4 was always 64 bit for Macs. There were/are 64 bit and 32 bit versions for windows, but their page discussing the specs clearly lays out why 64 bit is better, how it's been available since Windows 7, how much memory the game typically uses, when it might use more, and why 32 bit systems crash because the game is trying to use more. It even states plainly: The Sims 4 is more stable when running on 64 bit Windows.

Basically, even they said, you CAN run the game on a 32 bit system, and we'll let you, but you shouldn't. And now they've finally decided it's time to stop even trying.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Computer requirements change a lot on games now a days. One game I built my present system for updated even the processor I had just bought for my system for that game not even 2 years after we built this. Don't even get me started on Video cards. Sure you could still play these games but the quality went down the drain and keep in mind I am talking desktop gaming machines - not laptop or midline but big dollar equipment. Game companies do it all the time - and they often do so without warning and do absolutely nothing to keep you playing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    When you launch a game in 32-bit, it's implied that the game will remain 32-bit, don't you think? Those with 32-bit systems purchased with the idea that they would be able to play the game and its expansions.

Except, they didn't, not really. Sims 4 was always 64 bit for Macs. There were/are 64 bit and 32 bit versions for windows, but their page discussing the specs clearly lays out why 64 bit is better, how it's been available since Windows 7, how much memory the game typically uses, when it might use more, and why 32 bit systems crash because the game is trying to use more. It even states plainly: The Sims 4 is more stable when running on 64 bit Windows.

Basically, even they said, you CAN run the game on a 32 bit system, and we'll let you, but you shouldn't. And now they've finally decided it's time to stop even trying.

To be fair though The Sims series really needs regularly updated video cards and none of the cards on 32 bit are even able to be updated anymore and that is just one of many issues facing people with 32 bit systems.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    To be fair though The Sims series really needs regularly updated video cards and none of the cards on 32 bit are even able to be updated anymore and that is just one of many issues facing people with 32 bit systems.

Got to say, The Sims updates and graphics driver updates got nothing to do with each other, unless it's a graphics focused update, such as the lighting update.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited April 2019
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Who didn't see this coming?

EA should have known better. It was unreasonable for them to believe that they could keep piling content onto a system that could not support more than 4GBs of RAM. Good grief, didn't they learn that lesson with TS3?

EA should have started with 64-bit from the get go. But since they didn't, they should live with their mistake instead of forcing paying customers to upgrade or be left behind. Dropping 32-bit now is really terrible public relations.

I'm sorry to those of you who won't be able to 'make the jump'. EA should have never made promises that they couldn't keep. Unfortunately, though, it's nothing new.
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....

What a sweeping generalization, and frankly I disagree. The decision to not only support, but actively tailor the game to low end machines has never made any sense. Seriously. It made even less sense when they upgraded the base game to 64bit and did virtually nothing with that for the longest time.

Just because they sold this game on the mindset that it could run on a modded toaster doesn’t mean they actually snatched up a bunch of players who fit into that market. Even if they did, there’s no guarantee that they’ve been buying content regularly. Let’s not forget the “excuse” that’s tossed around for having such old hardware is the “high” cost of buying a new one or upgrading; if they can’t find money to better their machine I don’t suppose the money for Sims packs comes along any easier.

This whole thing seems to be being blown out of proportion by people who frankly have hated on the game being 32bit for years and are now suddenly speaking up for the little guy when it’s being dropped. This is not a big deal, if the game had a huge pool of 32bit players then that would be different, but clearly if they can drop support for that in mid-2019 they clearly don’t stand to lose much. As someone who is NOT a huge fan of Sims 4, or virtually anything they have done with the game thus far, this is a good thing. Doesn’t mean they’re going to take the game in a better direction, but at least what they make now won’t be tailored to near-obsolete hardware.

You're dead on that EA should never have released the game for 32-bit systems in the first place. Executives at EA have demonstrated a consistent lack of foresight.

Nevertheless, on principle, they shouldn't change to 64-bit only. Not now. It would be just one more promise that EA has broken.

It doesn't matter if only a handful of people are affecting by this, they're still paying customers, just like anyone else. They also happen to be customers that EA purposely courted with promises that the game would be able to work on their computers.

No matter which side of this coin a customer lands on, it sets a bad precedent.

When did EA promise that they wouldn't make the game 64-bit only in the future? Where did explicitly come out and promise people who bought the game that it would work on their computer when they can't know what computers people own?

The game will still work on their computers, they aren't taking away their ability to play the content that they've already paid for.

So what promise have they broken?

And then by your words any of their EP's that raised the minimum specs also broke their promise. Were you up in arms then about them breaking that promise?

I don't recall any version of the series where the underpinnings of the actual game were changed like this. Not RAM or video requirements, but the actual underpinnings of the game. How is that not breaking faith with the consumer?

The thing is, for some people unless you specify just the base or a specific pack, when somebody says 'experience' the game they view it as the whole thing, base game and packs included. So when he said they'll experience the game better than TS3 I think that what went through some players minds was that they'll better experience the game as a whole, base and packs, because for them TS3 as a whole was rough on their computer. So to those who interpret the experience of The Sims 4 as every release with The Sims 4 in the title I could see how it would feel like them going back on their word.

Exactly.

Sims 2 with Securom. And they didn't even announce it until we had bought the pack with it. People with CD/DVD burning software on their computer suddenly found themselves unable to play the game even though they wouldn't use that software to pirate the game. Just because actual pirates used that software to pirate games.

And this change is likely not up to the Sims team and they may have thought when they launched the game that they would be fine until Sims 5 with 32 bit, but technology is ever evolving and EA probably forced their hand. Or they made the change after looking at the numbers and what bugs they could likely fix by going 64 bit only and what they could add that would not be able to if they continued to keep 32 bit support.

And trust me, if a large number of players were affected, trust me this would not be happening. There's probably a small percentage of players who are affected by this decision and chances are those players will be forced to upgrade their computer sooner rather than later just due to the age of the computer that they are likely playing on.

It's not breaking any kind of faith or going back on any kind of word.

And again you're talking of people thinking like that EA promised that they would be able to play the game and all of it's EP's. Did you get upset when EA raised the minimum requirements with Seasons and Pets? That meant that some players were no longer able to play all EP's. This is all it is, EA raising the minimum requirements to 64 bit.

You really need to try not to treat everything a game company says about things that have not been released as a promise or something set in stone. How willing would you be to share information about upcoming releases if something about what you said was changed before the game launched and now people out there are accusing you of lying or breaking a promise?

Stuff happens. Especially at game companies. Management changes. Priorities shift. Technology changes. Things that sounded possible on paper turn out to not be possible or not feasible given budget. Holding game companies to the letter of what they said is just asking for disappointment. Always treat what they are talking about as only related to what they are about to release and with a grain of salt if it isn't set to launch within the week.

Why did EA launch TS4 on a platform that was already outdated by 2014? If not to capture that segment of the audience that was still using that older hardware, then what was their rationale?

It's true that some changes are unavoidable. However, that is not the case here.

If a game is launched on a specific platform, it isn't unreasonable to expect that the expansions will be released in the same way.

I think that most Sim players know that, as a version of the game expands and matures, some upgrades may be needed -- more memory, possibly a new video card. However, to my knowledge, this is the first time in the series that there has been a platform change that has required an entire segment of the community to buy a new computer or be left behind. This change is unprecedented. Otherwise, I don't think that EA would have bothered to release a so-called legacy version.

Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

EA should have known better. It was unreasonable for them to believe that they could keep piling content onto a system that could not support more than 4GBs of RAM. Good grief, didn't they learn that lesson with TS3?

EA should have started with 64-bit from the get go. But since they didn't, they should live with their mistake instead of forcing paying customers to upgrade or be left behind. Dropping 32-bit now is really terrible public relations.

I'm sorry to those of you who won't be able to 'make the jump'. EA should have never made promises that they couldn't keep. Unfortunately, though, it's nothing new.
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....

What a sweeping generalization, and frankly I disagree. The decision to not only support, but actively tailor the game to low end machines has never made any sense. Seriously. It made even less sense when they upgraded the base game to 64bit and did virtually nothing with that for the longest time.

Just because they sold this game on the mindset that it could run on a modded toaster doesn’t mean they actually snatched up a bunch of players who fit into that market. Even if they did, there’s no guarantee that they’ve been buying content regularly. Let’s not forget the “excuse” that’s tossed around for having such old hardware is the “high” cost of buying a new one or upgrading; if they can’t find money to better their machine I don’t suppose the money for Sims packs comes along any easier.

This whole thing seems to be being blown out of proportion by people who frankly have hated on the game being 32bit for years and are now suddenly speaking up for the little guy when it’s being dropped. This is not a big deal, if the game had a huge pool of 32bit players then that would be different, but clearly if they can drop support for that in mid-2019 they clearly don’t stand to lose much. As someone who is NOT a huge fan of Sims 4, or virtually anything they have done with the game thus far, this is a good thing. Doesn’t mean they’re going to take the game in a better direction, but at least what they make now won’t be tailored to near-obsolete hardware.

You're dead on that EA should never have released the game for 32-bit systems in the first place. Executives at EA have demonstrated a consistent lack of foresight.

Nevertheless, on principle, they shouldn't change to 64-bit only. Not now. It would be just one more promise that EA has broken.

It doesn't matter if only a handful of people are affecting by this, they're still paying customers, just like anyone else. They also happen to be customers that EA purposely courted with promises that the game would be able to work on their computers.

When did EA promise that they wouldn't make the game 64-bit only in the future? Where did explicitly come out and promise people who bought the game that it would work on their computer when they can't know what computers people own?

The game will still work on their computers, they aren't taking away their ability to play the content that they've already paid for.

And then by your words any of their EP's that raised the minimum specs also broke their promise. Were you up in arms then about them breaking that promise?

I don't recall any version of the series where the underpinnings of the actual game were changed like this. Not RAM or video requirements, but the actual underpinnings of the game. How is that not breaking faith with the consumer?

The thing is, for some people unless you specify just the base or a specific pack, when somebody says 'experience' the game they view it as the whole thing, base game and packs included. So when he said they'll experience the game better than TS3 I think that what went through some players minds was that they'll better experience the game as a whole, base and packs, because for them TS3 as a whole was rough on their computer. So to those who interpret the experience of The Sims 4 as every release with The Sims 4 in the title I could see how it would feel like them going back on their word.

Exactly.

Sims 2 with Securom. And they didn't even announce it until we had bought the pack with it. People with CD/DVD burning software on their computer suddenly found themselves unable to play the game even though they wouldn't use that software to pirate the game. Just because actual pirates used that software to pirate games.

And this change is likely not up to the Sims team and they may have thought when they launched the game that they would be fine until Sims 5 with 32 bit, but technology is ever evolving and EA probably forced their hand. Or they made the change after looking at the numbers and what bugs they could likely fix by going 64 bit only and what they could add that would not be able to if they continued to keep 32 bit support.

And trust me, if a large number of players were affected, trust me this would not be happening. There's probably a small percentage of players who are affected by this decision and chances are those players will be forced to upgrade their computer sooner rather than later just due to the age of the computer that they are likely playing on.

And again you're talking of people thinking like that EA promised that they would be able to play the game and all of it's EP's. Did you get upset when EA raised the minimum requirements with Seasons and Pets? That meant that some players were no longer able to play all EP's. This is all it is, EA raising the minimum requirements to 64 bit.

You really need to try not to treat everything a game company says about things that have not been released as a promise or something set in stone. How willing would you be to share information about upcoming releases if something about what you said was changed before the game launched and now people out there are accusing you of lying or breaking a promise?

Stuff happens. Especially at game companies. Management changes. Priorities shift. Technology changes. Things that sounded possible on paper turn out to not be possible or not feasible given budget. Holding game companies to the letter of what they said is just asking for disappointment. Always treat what they are talking about as only related to what they are about to release and with a grain of salt if it isn't set to launch within the week.

Why did EA launch TS4 on a platform that was already outdated by 2014? If not to capture that segment of the audience that was still using that older hardware, then what was their rationale?

It's true that some changes are unavoidable. However, that is not the case here.

If a game is launched on a specific platform, it isn't unreasonable to expect that the expansions will be released in the same way.

I think that most Sim players know that, as a version of the game expands and matures, some upgrades may be needed -- more memory, possibly a new video card. However, to my knowledge, this is the first time in the series that there has been a platform change that has required an entire segment of the community to buy a new computer or be left behind. This change is unprecedented. Otherwise, I don't think that EA would have bothered to release a so-called legacy version.

It's not unprecedented though. They have raised the specs before. This is the exact same. And unlike many game companies they've given players plenty of warning time before the change so that they can figure out if they want to upgrade to a new computer or not and time to find a new computer if they choose to do so. And are being even nicer and releasing a 32 bit legacy client for those who choose not to upgrade or can't upgrade at this time. EA is not bothering to release a legacy version because what they are doing is unprecedented. They are doing it to avoid making the game unplayable for people due to their requirement to be fully upgraded to play online on Origin and they don't want to force players on 32 bit systems to have to remember to not update their game. And keep in mind that this legacy version is not going to be sold so it's only to those players affected. Which I would imagine is a very small percentage of players.

For one game I had to get a new graphics card to play the game as I was above specs in everything but that. I had to get a new computer to do so. Better graphics cards weren't supported on my motherboard because it was so old. So every time they do raise the requirements, it does require a segment of the population to get a new computer. So again, how is this unprecedented that them raising the minimum requirements has always required a portion of the player base to have to get a new computer to do so?

The change is unavoidable - they aren't doing this just to do this. You don't raise the minimum requirements just to raise them. The 32 bit support is causing them to have to hold back on what EP's and GP's can do. It's holding them back on fixing lag and other related memory issues. It's hurting Sims 4 for them to continue supporting it. They need to do this in order to make the game better. They've likely put it off as long as they can as they try to fix the issues with the game while still supporting 32 bit.

They are not doing this change lightly and without analysis of the pros and the cons. They've made their decision based on those and we have to trust that they've made the right decision as they have access to numbers we don't.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2019

Exactly.

It's not unprecedented though. They have raised the specs before. This is the exact same. And unlike many game companies they've given players plenty of warning time before the change so that they can figure out if they want to upgrade to a new computer or not and time to find a new computer if they choose to do so. And are being even nicer and releasing a 32 bit legacy client for those who choose not to upgrade or can't upgrade at this time. EA is not bothering to release a legacy version because what they are doing is unprecedented. They are doing it to avoid making the game unplayable for people due to their requirement to be fully upgraded to play online on Origin and they don't want to force players on 32 bit systems to have to remember to not update their game. And keep in mind that this legacy version is not going to be sold so it's only to those players affected. Which I would imagine is a very small percentage of players.

For one game I had to get a new graphics card to play the game as I was above specs in everything but that. I had to get a new computer to do so. Better graphics cards weren't supported on my motherboard because it was so old. So every time they do raise the requirements, it does require a segment of the population to get a new computer. So again, how is this unprecedented that them raising the minimum requirements has always required a portion of the player base to have to get a new computer to do so?

The change is unavoidable - they aren't doing this just to do this. You don't raise the minimum requirements just to raise them. The 32 bit support is causing them to have to hold back on what EP's and GP's can do. It's holding them back on fixing lag and other related memory issues. It's hurting Sims 4 for them to continue supporting it. They need to do this in order to make the game better. They've likely put it off as long as they can as they try to fix the issues with the game while still supporting 32 bit.

They are not doing this change lightly and without analysis of the pros and the cons. They've made their decision based on those and we have to trust that they've made the right decision as they have access to numbers we don't.

By going to 64 bit from 32 bit while that is great however I still need to see what they do with it for if they continue to do the same then for me it would be an waste of time. Another thing the mechanics of an engine does not change because of an major architecture shift, you may still be left with limitations that engine possesses.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    It's a good move, 32-bit was definitely holding this game back. It's time to upgrade, people, you can't expect new games to run on your ancient hardware forever.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Exactly.

By going to 64 bit from 32 bit while that is great however I still need to see what they do with it for if they continue to do the same then for me it would be an waste of time. Another thing the mechanics of an engine does not change because of an major architecure shift for you may still be left with limitations an engine possesses.

Yea, if we get no improvement in the game either in how it currently performs and what future EP's and GP's bring then yea, then it would definitely have been a waste.
    It's a good move, 32-bit was definitely holding this game back. It's time to upgrade, people, you can't expect new games to run on your ancient hardware forever.

Yes, it is an good move but it should have been done in Sims 4 infancy or before it took off as the blow for some would have been easier but what was done was done.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I also want to add, while is may be both good and bad. People fail to realize this that SOME people may not be able to afford a new computer and I find this very upsetting for those people, my heart hurts for them...and while the decision is probably for good intentions , I wish people could sympathize with the others that can't....

At least by offering a Legacy Edition to include all content released through February, those players are still able to play the games they've purchased. It's not like an MMO where once they shut down the servers, that's it. Then eventually when players can afford to upgrade their computers they can move their saves from Legacy back to main Sims after reinstalling the non-Legacy edition.

It's likely that the telemetry shows that the majority of players are playing on 64-bit, so the numbers affected are fairly small. They have to consider the best benefit for the most people, and whatever benefits come with a 64-bit system (especially in terms of memory management) is of greater value.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Waaaaay to go, Sims Team. Sims 4 isn't popular already, and now you guys just made a bunch of people mad. In June of 2019, Sims 4 will no longer support 32-Bit systems, meaning those who have the game on systems of this type will no longer get updates, get new packs, and lose access to the Gallery.

I don't even know how to react to this. Seriously, I don't. This is one of the biggest "plum"'s to a game fanbase I've ever seen.

Even though I have a 64 bit OS because of programmes I have I have to agree. It's totally unfair to change things this far along. I could understand if they just started with Sims 4 packs coming out and changed it. Better yet waiting until they are ready to release Sims 5. This isn't just alienating the fanbase but not everybody can afford to buy a 64 bit OS or a new computer. It really is unfair. Somehow I feel the franchise has jumped the shark with this decision.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    unfair? that's how it goes. it is normal!
    There is a lot of things I want and I really need, but I don't have to. I have an old pc, it has a 64b system. Its price? 5 years ago 7000 CZK, then about 235 dollars. How much is the expansion pack? I'd like to play Assasin Creed Unity, but my graphics are weak. Should I scream that this is injustice? it is so. are people poor and people rich ... is it unfair? Yes. but is it normal? Yes!
    I had to save a lot of money to play TS3 ... I'm just a factory worker. But I know I'm richer than most of the world. So many people have a problem having money for food and you're crying that you can't buy a new pc ?!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i can say that like games pc change like i know my current pc since its not long since i replace it meets the new requirements for sims4, so this leave for 32 bit players to eater upgrade there current pc to 64 bit. or buy a new computer i also know by experiance i had an older pc that ran the sims1 perfectly find but when i move on to the sims2 i had to replace my pc because my older dell pc would not run the sims2.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I tak with my brothers About TS4 And Both say that if you play TS4 So you CPU (procesor) must by 64b! It is in minimal for start this game. So you NEED only reinstal system! Only reinstal! And if you have Windows So you not must buy new version! You can use you product key for 32b!
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I totally understand the frustration but with switching to a minimum 64bit architecture they will be able to improve the game so much more! 64-bit came out in like 2003 and 32-bit computers were starting to go obsolete in 2006 (its 16-year-old technology), with being able to run more than 4 GB of ram they will be able to do so much in the game, such as more options for gameplay, maybe add amazing visual effects for occult sims, like werewolf transformations, witch spell casting, allow for university parties etc, keeping the minimum requirements to the ancient 32 bit architecture was holding the game back. You'll still be able to play the game as is before or with that particular update, at least that's what I think they said.

and I don't know about you but for $60 for the base game, no one should be okay with being held back by 16-year-old technology.
    Techbilt wrote: »
    I totally understand the frustration but with switching to a minimum 64bit architecture they will be able to improve the game so much more! 64-bit came out in like 2003 and 32-bit computers were starting to go obsolete in 2006 (its 16-year-old technology), with being able to run more than 4 GB of ram they will be able to do so much in the game, such as more options for gameplay, maybe add amazing visual effects for occult sims, like werewolf transformations, witch spell casting, allow for university parties etc, keeping the minimum requirements to the ancient 32 bit architecture was holding the game back. You'll still be able to play the game as is before or with that particular update, at least that's what I think they said.

and I don't know about you but for $60 for the base game, no one should be okay with being held back by 16-year-old technology.

Only time will tell if they will use that 64 Bit tech as some are not holding thier breath, but nothing wrong wishing for something that will bring SIms 4 to the next level.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I get that getting a new computer is expensive, but it’s not like they still make xbox 360 games either. Sometimes you just need to stop supporting old hardware so you can make upgrades.
  • XiraiyaXiraiya Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2019
    They would have made this decision by looking at the amount of people who still use 32bit systems VS everyone on 64bit systems today, they would have that kind of info to know mostly what percentage of the playerbase is still using 32bit systems (Which I imagine is a far lower number than it was in 2014) and be able to say:
    "Well 5% of players are on 32bit systems today, but optimizing and developing for it is adding x hours to the development time of packs, expansions and updates on top of limiting the possible updates and changes that could be done for the game. We just can't justify that amount of time dedicated to an architecture that is that outdated."

I don't actually know the specifics of course and that is just an example, but it is often how these sorts of things unfold with game development.

Especially since this mostly affects the complexity of changes they can make and what can be added to the game. The larger and more content filled Sims becomes the more hardware it demands. It's very straight forward, more stuff = more requirements and 32bit systems can only use a very small amount of ram by today's standards, about 4gb when a lot of regular PCs have 8gb or more. Remember 64bit systems have existed since the early 2000s at this point and have been standard for at least 5+ years, if not longer.

It actually makes me wonder if a lot of my gripes over the Sims 4 being weirdly shallow in parts is due to the fact they have been developing the game with 32bit systems in mind and working within those limitations when they could really stretch their legs out only working on 64bit systems.

I guess I won't know for sure until sims 5 someday. The Sims 4 isn't going to change much at this point, the change will mostly be to streamline their workload and have the option to possibly do more intricate things with the game.

I can understand the frustration but there really is no way around this without simply restricting the game from a development standpoint across the board, it'd be like asking a fully grown adult to try and sleep in an old baby's cot because it is the only spare "bed" you have in your house.

It's just not viable. It's a different time, 64bit isn't some new thing. There were 64bit versions of Windows XP, if you really want to put this into perspective.
    Post edited by Xiraiya on
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    To those saying not everyone can afford to upgrade...

Hey, we get it. No, really. I work a minimum wage job, have student loan debt to pay, and have yet to find a job in what I studied. Even when I do, I'll still have to work my first job. I've been unable to afford a $2 train ticket at times. No one needs to tell me twice about not affording what you want.

But... that's life. Technology marches on, and there's a reason for saying "time waits for no man". Sometimes, you get left behind for a while. I just graduated school at 25. Most of my friends had their degrees by 21 or 22, and have a related job by now, are married and living away from home, or may even have kids. It's not fair to ask others to slow down.

As for this specific bit of news, I think it's a good change. Nothing can last forever. 32-bit PCs are very outdated now. Sims 4 is actually late to the party.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I don't remember if my system is 64 or 32-bit and can't check right now... If I can't play Sims I have literally nothing to do with my life cos Sims is my life and without it, I'll just end up laying in bed all day :c I can't buy a new computer because I'm broke ;___; I wanna cry.
    I don't remember if my system is 64 or 32-bit and can't check right now... If I can't play Sims I have literally nothing to do with my life cos Sims is my life and without it, I'll just end up laying in bed all day :c I can't buy a new computer because I'm broke ;___; I wanna cry.

@PeculiarPlumbob If your system ends up being a 32 bit system EA is releasing a legacy version that works on 32 bit computers so that you can play the game on your computer until you are able to afford a new computer.