Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can someone explain to me what's so great about witches?

Based on the requests I see here on the forums, and some tweets I've seen from Sim Gurus, my speculation is that a Witches GP is next. I was mostly in college during TS3, so I didn't have money for many expansions. So I've never had sim witches before.

I can honestly say that I'm not a person who's "in to" playing with occults. So if we got a Witches GP, what would it bring us? I mean there's the obvious "you can cast spells". But besides that, what would be so cool about it? Is there anything that "muggles" would be able to do or gain from this pack? Do you think this would come with any items that don't look like they're straight from the Halloween store?

In all sincerity, I'm just trying to figure out why this pack is so highly requested?

Comments

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,297 Member
    This really should be over in The Sims 4 Feedback area as this section is for Forum Ideas and Feedback... ;)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-feedback
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    I don't generally play with occults. Except for witches.

Here's some info on witches in the Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 3.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Witch
  • Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    This really should be over in The Sims 4 Feedback area as this section is for Forum Ideas and Feedback... ;)

How do I move this?
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,297 Member
    ctthomas wrote: »
    lisasc360 wrote: »

How do I move this?

You can just hit the report button and ask in the box to move it to the proper section. And don't worry, you won't get in trouble for reporting your own thread... ;)
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It just depends on your interests. You might never want to play with Witches. I'm greatly looking forward to them for my gameplay though. I tell stories to myself while I play and want as much variety as I can have to do that. I like to have a multitude of character options and storyline possibilities.
    I want to play out characters inspired by some of my favorite types of Witches in movies and tv shows.. Practical Magic, The Craft, The Witch, and American Horror Story: Coven. I want and am hoping for variety in what we create so we can have stereotypical types of witches as well as those that don't fit into that neat little box that people tend to see them in. I'm also influenced by games I play that include using alchemy and spells and even experiences and stories I've heard in real life.
    For now I want witches so I can have Olive Specter use it in some way (she was a character that originated in Sims 2 but I remade her in this game) She wasn't a witch then but I can definitely see her using potions, curses or spells to fill up that huge graveyard she has. I also have another sim I want to create depending on what is included in Witches this time around. All I know is that if Witches is done as well as Vampires was for this iteration I'll be overjoyed.
    It may never be something you want though.. and that's okay. It's also okay for others to want it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks I've went ahead and moved this to the correct section, carry on with your discussion :smiley:
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    If you weren't into it before you might not be into them now if any occult is coming. It's more so speculation than actual evidence.

I did like the witches in S2 as much like other occults that showed up in the game they were a rarity and pretty fun when I saw them.

Witches in S3 I found pretty boring. Considering the majority of their spells were mostly just cheats that you could do in some other form. If they do bring them to S4 I hope they're definitely more of an improvement over what we did have much like the rehaul on vampires were they seem a lot more interesting. Considering they can break into your home and bite your sim if they're sleeping.

For the most part occults are more so just a nice novelty to play with now and again less you're someone that wants to play with them all the time.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think you have had to have played The Sims and Sims 2 to appreciate the fun witches were. Witches arriving on broomsticks when your party is just going into a restaurant, their cats, good and bad ones and lots of interactions. I haven't played 2 for a while but someone who still plays it could tell you.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2019
    Witches are just fun. On top of being a huge pop culture phenomena and tapping into people's obsession with magic, witches typically add just a quirky bit of magical chaos to the game. Casting spells is of course the main appeal, and what those spells do is critical to how fun witches can be. In TS1, witches could do things like water all the plants at once, have magical duels with one another, turn others into frogs, summon hordes of frogs (from which you could try your luck kissing as many as possible to hope for a prince), set fires, put out fires, and a host of other things. They came with a fun, whimsical world where you could go to collect strange plants and animals that could give you the ingredients you needed for your spells and cauldron, as well as a few magical bakery items like cakes and pies. In TS2, they expanded on the theme with similar spells (though no more frog princes!), and this time you could charm or curse others, and almost all spells were classified as good or bad, and you had a morality bar that made you glow with a warm light if you made it very good, or turn green if you went very bad. You also got familiars too, that could be used for gathering ingredients and talking to if you were lonely. TS3 witches kinda stepped back from this, and kept it more in the Harry Potter line of normal looking people with magical abilities. The spells and alchemy weren't as exciting as previously, but still very fun.
    Overall, to love witches, you simply must love the concept of adding a little magic and whimsy to your game. Harry Potter, Charmed, Sabrina, et al are all big points of nostalgia for a lot of gamers now, so living out that kind of fantasy is something we want our little Sims to do too. My hope is that witches in TS4 hearkens back to TS1 and TS2, with a mystical world for strange ingredients, and fun ways to get ingredients, interesting pets, and of course alchemy. I also want magical dueling to be a thing, as well as more awe inspiring spells.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Thanks @TheGreatGorlon I'd forgotten all that and might go back to Sims2 for a bit as I've found my CD full of objects for it today.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    Seriously, having your witch sim send bees after her/his enemy? Hours of entertainment. That was S2, and yes, you saw the bees attack, the attackee's needs would plummet, it was hilarious. The good witch spells were mostly useful - make puddles disappear, put out fires, need boosts, things like that. S1 was awesome too, Makin' Magic is still my favorite EP for the game. Magic Town was a blast! And that music...
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited February 2019
    Like others said, they're fun and magical. They're also the most relatable of the supernaturals because they look like regular humans and a human could easily insert themselves into the role of one, and in real life they are historically the most "realistic" and people who practice witchcraft still exist throughout many cultures. There is also a feminist and progressive aspect, where witches symbolize women and minorities who have been opressed and discriminated against for the powers within them but learn to harness and be proud of what makes them different. As a little girl I was obsessed with Hermoine from Harry Potter and Sabrina the teenage witch. They represented the kind of intelligent and strong while still being good and kind young women that I admired, with a lot of magic involved.
  • Options
    @WildIrishBanshee Yes! The music for Makin Magic sold everything about that pack to me. Plus the crazy magic show stages!
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have more fun doing things in the game that I can't in real life and don't enjoy family/legacy gameplay, so things like Witches are highly appealing to me. Also my birthday is on Halloween (plus it's my favorite holiday) and I associate it with witches, so I just need them to be a thing. My simself is becoming a witch first thing if/when we get this pack.

There's not anything specific I want to see in this pack though. Others have better ideas than I do and I'd like to be surprised.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    For me, witches/magic add a touch of whimsy to my worlds. Growing up one of my favorite TV shows was Bewitched -- a witch living in suburbia trying to coexist with her mortal husband and the neighbors. I also love Molly Weasley in the Harry Potter series -- many underestimated her and thought she was just a housewife and mom, but she was a very powerful witch in her own right (from a long-standing magic family) and still powerful enough to defeat a powerful witch like Bellatrix who also underestimated Molly to ultimate demise.

So I guess you could say I'm more of an everyday magic sort of player -- I go more for the practical spells, like an InstaClean that takes care of all the dirty items in the house at once, or maybe the ability to make dinner cook itself to have more time to spend with the children. My witches don't normally go in for the big spells. -
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    You know, I kind of like the magic gameplay and it mainly has to do with how much fun I had in TS Makin Magic. I swear I'd pay anything to see a proper recreation of it again, even if it is exactly the same as The Sims 1. The talismans, the spellbook, the ingredients, the magic vendors, the magic town, the music, the little errands you ran for vendors, the magic crystals, the magic plants, so much fun. I have never been able to enjoy witches/warlocks again, not in TS2, or TS3 and possibly TS4 because they never quite captured the essence of the original. And I see a real opportunity here for a witches GP seeing as vampires added its own little world.
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited February 2019
    If you don't like occults, you're not going to like witches, most likely. But for people who enjoy occults, magic is just ... fun, man. And for me, personally ... I didn't like vampires prior to TS4, but I love this most recent version of them. It made me excited to see what they'd do with an occult I did enjoy in previous versions of the Sims.

edit: I also remember being all 'ugh, magic?' when Makin' Magic was announced and not being super excited about it ... and it wound up being one of my favorites. Lesson learned, I guess. <3
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Witches are great because I like options (even or especially fantastical options) for how I may want to play my sims.
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I think for me there's just a lot of possibility. Assuming there's a variety of spells available. I'm hoping for the ability to customize magic to a certain character's personality. (So, all fire-based spells for one Sim and all water-based spells for another.) You can build a world of witches and wizards like Harry Potter or play more of an X-men kinda thing. It feels like they have more story options than other supernaturals.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I don't play with witches. So for me, there's nothing special about them. Or other occult lifestages. But for those who do play with them, it adds depth to their playing style. And usually when we get an EP with them in it, objects, clothing and new recipes come along which gives those of us who can care less about witches, a reason to by the pack. So it's a win win in the end! :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    @mika Totally off topic, but how do you like the new Sabrina on Netflix? I love it, even though it's very different from the old show.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    @mika Totally off topic, but how do you like the new Sabrina on Netflix? I love it, even though it's very different from the old show.

Not a fan tbh. I find her character as presented by the actress to be dull and annoying, the only ones I like are Prudence and the cousin.

I prefer the original Sabrina.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    For me, it's just a lot of fun to play. I enjoy having a variety of different Sims and personalities in my game. Which is why I would love the personality system to be given more in-depth detail. But basically, I love magic. I grew up watching all kinds of witch shows because I really like this type of fantasy world. I like to have realism in my game, but also supernatural and since we can't experience this in our lives, than at least my Sims can experience it. :p

Witches will always be my number one supernatural, sorry Vampires, but move on over! They're my second favorite, though. :)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Like others said, they're fun and magical. They're also the most relatable of the supernaturals because they look like regular humans and a human could easily insert themselves into the role of one, and in real life they are historically the most "realistic" and people who practice witchcraft still exist throughout many cultures. There is also a feminist and progressive aspect, where witches symbolize women and minorities who have been opressed and discriminated against for the powers within them but learn to harness and be proud of what makes them different. As a little girl I was obsessed with Hermoine from Harry Potter and Sabrina the teenage witch. They represented the kind of intelligent and strong while still being good and kind young women that I admired, with a lot of magic involved.

This, so much - witches are just about the only 'otherworldly' Sim I want (Tolkien-style Elves are the other). Unlike vampires and werewolves, witches do exist, and as you mention, there is a whole feminist history behind them. (Quite often, they were actually scientists.) I was a bit older when Harry Potter came along, but I loved the books. (Though, I actually think Tolkien's Elves were closer to Wicca than Rowling's witches.)

I would rather not have witches as a separate life form - I'd rather have a trait that allows them to learn their craft more easily and access levels that Sims without the trait cannot. That way, you would have a choice with their offspring - they might 'inherit' the trait (if you give it to them), or not. (And, of course, we'd need a new toddler 'magical' trait. I can think of all sorts of 'fun' they would get into.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    If you're not into the magic itself, a Witch/Magic GP would more than likely come with some cool Medieval and Renaissance themed clothing, hair styles, and furniture to play with. More than likely a few Hippie/New-Age and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 themed things too, like crystals, incense burners, beaded door curtains, and so-on. And, of course, men's robes for you Teenaged wannabe warlock going through his Goth phase...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.