Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can someone explain to me what's so great about witches?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Like others said, they're fun and magical. They're also the most relatable of the supernaturals because they look like regular humans and a human could easily insert themselves into the role of one, and in real life they are historically the most "realistic" and people who practice witchcraft still exist throughout many cultures. There is also a feminist and progressive aspect, where witches symbolize women and minorities who have been opressed and discriminated against for the powers within them but learn to harness and be proud of what makes them different. As a little girl I was obsessed with Hermoine from Harry Potter and Sabrina the teenage witch. They represented the kind of intelligent and strong while still being good and kind young women that I admired, with a lot of magic involved.

This, so much - witches are just about the only 'otherworldly' Sim I want (Tolkien-style Elves are the other). Unlike vampires and werewolves, witches do exist, and as you mention, there is a whole feminist history behind them. (Quite often, they were actually scientists.) I was a bit older when Harry Potter came along, but I loved the books. (Though, I actually think Tolkien's Elves were closer to Wicca than Rowling's witches.)

I would rather not have witches as a separate life form - I'd rather have a trait that allows them to learn their craft more easily and access levels that Sims without the trait cannot. That way, you would have a choice with their offspring - they might 'inherit' the trait (if you give it to them), or not. (And, of course, we'd need a new toddler 'magical' trait. I can think of all sorts of 'fun' they would get into.)

Unfortunately, I think Sim Guru Graham already said that if they introduced Witches, it would be similar to the Vampire life state, except for with witches.
  • Options
    If you're not into the magic itself, a Witch/Magic GP would more than likely come with some cool Medieval and Renaissance themed clothing, hair styles, and furniture to play with. More than likely a few Hippie/New-Age and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 themed things too, like crystals, incense burners, beaded door curtains, and so-on. And, of course, men's robes for you Teenaged wannabe warlock going through his Goth phase...

I figured as much. The same happened with Vampires. I LOVE building with the Vampires objects, because I love building historical homes. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the idea of more antique-style build mode objects. It does irk me a little, though, because I find myself paying for a GP that I never play. I just use the object. Feels a little overpriced to basically just be used as a stuff pack.

Also then I end up with supernaturals in my game that I really don't want.
  • Options
    Witches are just fun. On top of being a huge pop culture phenomena and tapping into people's obsession with magic, witches typically add just a quirky bit of magical chaos to the game. Casting spells is of course the main appeal, and what those spells do is critical to how fun witches can be. In TS1, witches could do things like water all the plants at once, have magical duels with one another, turn others into frogs, summon hordes of frogs (from which you could try your luck kissing as many as possible to hope for a prince), set fires, put out fires, and a host of other things. They came with a fun, whimsical world where you could go to collect strange plants and animals that could give you the ingredients you needed for your spells and cauldron, as well as a few magical bakery items like cakes and pies. In TS2, they expanded on the theme with similar spells (though no more frog princes!), and this time you could charm or curse others, and almost all spells were classified as good or bad, and you had a morality bar that made you glow with a warm light if you made it very good, or turn green if you went very bad. You also got familiars too, that could be used for gathering ingredients and talking to if you were lonely. TS3 witches kinda stepped back from this, and kept it more in the Harry Potter line of normal looking people with magical abilities. The spells and alchemy weren't as exciting as previously, but still very fun.
    Overall, to love witches, you simply must love the concept of adding a little magic and whimsy to your game. Harry Potter, Charmed, Sabrina, et al are all big points of nostalgia for a lot of gamers now, so living out that kind of fantasy is something we want our little Sims to do too. My hope is that witches in TS4 hearkens back to TS1 and TS2, with a mystical world for strange ingredients, and fun ways to get ingredients, interesting pets, and of course alchemy. I also want magical dueling to be a thing, as well as more awe inspiring spells.

I have to say, a magical world DOES sound like a lot of fun. I'm not sure that I would ever play with witches, but witches castles/houses WOULD be really fun to build in a Halloweeny style world. Also, if they decide to do this, I pray that they will allow our sim kiddos to trick-or-treat. I mean how much fun would it be to trick or treat in a witches world?

I'm also excited about the idea of new plants and collectibles. I have a lot of sims who garden so new plants are always nice...
  • Options
    You guys have got me thinking now and one thing I WOULD be excited for is if they introduced a royal family type system. I think it could integrate with witches really well. I've been asking for the ability to designate a family as royalty, get titles in their family tree, etc. for a long time.

It would go well with the whole "Renaissance themed" and "frog prince" type ideas.

Sounds like at that point we're looking at more of an EP than a GP, but if I can have royal families in this pack I would NOT be complaining.

Maybe it would come with a Renaissance type world with a good and an evil neighborhood area? Witches might try to curse the royalty. Okay that would be exciting...
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @ctthomas I see your point, but it's not as if they didn't advertise what it was. There is more than enough content in Vampires to justify a game pack price. How much you use after you purchase it becomes your choice.

I love the items in Laundry Day, but I hate the concept of introducing dirty clothes into the game and would never put a washer or dryer in a house. So I don't buy the pack and accept my lack of wicker furniture. If I do buy it, then I'll do so knowing I'm paying ten bucks for the items only and being okay with that.

This is what I love about the game. You can customize it to suit your preferences.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    DianaWilson2000DianaWilson2000 Posts: 3 New Member
    New hairstyles, clothing, and furniture.
  • Options
    leave_blank77leave_blank77 Posts: 26 Member
    @katrinasforest
    You will only have piles of laundry if you have a washer / dryer on the lot. No washer, no piles of laundry. Also the hampers work like the old super hamper mod from TS3. You only need 1 on a lot, not 1 for every room.

Personally if witches are added to the game I would want a full Supernatural expansion with werewolves and fairies like TS3 had with a magic town. I had no plans on getting TS3, but then Supernatural came out. It'd be great if they took the best parts of witches from 1, 2 & 3 when making witches for TS4. But what we'll most likely get is a system that functions well, but overall lacks depth.
  • Options
    @leave_blank77 Yep, a friend explained it to me when I was debating about the pack. And I do appreciate that they did that. (It might be nice in a future update if random vampire townies were made optional for those who bought Vampires for items and not the life state.) I still decided against Laundry Day, because I didn't want to pay for just the furniture, but I'd be lying if I said I've never been tempted. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Personally when Sorcerers and Werewolves come into the picture, Humans will be more of a supporting role. Sorcerers were always the main Life State in my book. To the point if a "Sorcerers GP" doesn't happen, then I would have to deem the Sims 4 as a regretful investment and is essentially worthless. My Prime Family is intended to be a family of Sorcerers, my Secondary family Werewolves, Tertiary a Family of Magic Hunters who Murders my Secondary Household, while their daughter crawls into the bed of my Sorcerer. While I did enjoy seeing my builds and Characters come to fruition, they will always remain incomplete without these two crucial details.

So! That's why I make a big deal about a Sorcerers and a Werewolves GP, Witches only undermine my character's full potential.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    ctthomas wrote: »
    If you're not into the magic itself, a Witch/Magic GP would more than likely come with some cool Medieval and Renaissance themed clothing, hair styles, and furniture to play with. More than likely a few Hippie/New-Age and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 themed things too, like crystals, incense burners, beaded door curtains, and so-on. And, of course, men's robes for you Teenaged wannabe warlock going through his Goth phase...

I figured as much. The same happened with Vampires. I LOVE building with the Vampires objects, because I love building historical homes. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the idea of more antique-style build mode objects. It does irk me a little, though, because I find myself paying for a GP that I never play. I just use the object. Feels a little overpriced to basically just be used as a stuff pack.

Also then I end up with supernaturals in my game that I really don't want.

That's the dilemma I have with vampires - I really don't want them, but I'd love to have the content. I don't even care about paying GP price for what would basically be a stuff pack to me (and if you watch for the sales, you can get it fairly cheap).

Someone explained that toggles for life forms might crash existing saves. Whether that problem is unique to S4, or whether it was one of the reasons S3 was unstable, I don't know. It seems to me that we could be given a choice when starting a new save, or when first entering a save after installing the pack. Once you choose 'no supers' or not, you're stuck with it for that save.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @invisiblgirl I feel like it should be easy enough to have the option of, "No vampire townies." That way players who don't want them can kick out Vlad and the Vatore siblings when they install the pack and never run into vampires anymore. (And if you already installed it, you can go and remove any vampires that were generated before.) Same for any new life states that come out. (Personally, I wish there was a way to tell the game not to auto-generate any Global Superstars. I want my Sims to be the only Global Superstars in town, dang it!)

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I find witches boring. I am just hoping if they add them there are some interesting spells. They will never make them as dark as I would like them to be like animal or Sim sacrifices so I probably will not bother. I am betting they will have some build\buy stuff I would want though and I will have to buy it. SIGH

Witches drove my crazy in Sims 2 especially the evil one always casting the roaches...lol They were a yawn fest in Sims 3 in my opinion maybe because we had so many other supernatural options.

I personally would rather see psychics who can predict baby genders, ghosts can channel through them and talk to their loved ones or scare sims, scammers who tell sims lies, sims get addicted to going to the psychics and need to go every few days, add in setting Sims up with blind dates, snake oil potions that convince sims of lies like blind date is the ONE or they should leave their spouse or their spouse is having an affair. Tarot card readings which may or may not be the truth. The psychic will call with those creepy messages from Sims 1...LOL like "the end is near" and "You have been chosen, they will come soon" Sim will be afraid...we really need fear added for this to be fun. Yeah this is what I would rather see sorry witch lovers :(
  • Options
    scaredfromthepastscaredfromthepast Posts: 1 New Member
    I really would want a witch pack. It will be very cool if they can harm the vampires and also have the same system points like theirs.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I loved the witches, broomsticks and their cats in Sims 2. The way they arrived at a venue and their interactions. I also loved the objects that came with Supernatural for Sims 3 so would like a mixture of both for Sims 4. A chance of lots of wood panelling and olde wood furniture for builders.

Adding Fairies to the pack would be a good addition. It would be nice to use a broomstick as another way of transport to another world or lot too. I'm thinking of an expansion pack here. :)
  • Options
    sweetbluekiana1sweetbluekiana1 Posts: 167 Member
    edited May 2019
    It’s the whole supernatural aspect. I’ve always loved fantasy gameplay. It’s a great escape from my boring life. Realism is way too mundane for me considering that’s how real life is. Taking care of children, doing laundry etc.... So I never really cared for the whole realism thing in sims yet that’s who the sims team has been catering too this whole iteration. Supernatural players have been left out. You may not want witches but plenty of us do. If I can put up with the realism in the game I’m sure y’all can put up with some fantasy aspects.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    ctthomas wrote: »
    I can honestly say that I'm not a person who's "in to" playing with occults.
    This right here makes your question unanswerable. We can't tell you what's appealing because you yourself state you're not into playing with occults. It's like trying to explain why you love anime to someone who hates cartoons. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    It’s the whole supernatural aspect. I’ve always loved fantasy gameplay. It’s a great escape from my boring life. Realism is way too mundane for me considering that’s how real life is. Taking care of children, doing laundry etc.... So I never really cared for the whole realism thing in sims yet that’s who the sims team has been catering too this whole iteration. Supernatural players have been left out. You may not want witches but plenty of us do. If I can put up with the realism in the game I’m sure y’all can put up with some fantasy aspects.

All of this! I couldn't have put it better myself.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Personally don't think witches are all that great. While I've done some experiments in TS2, the whole deal quickly became tiresome. Same goes for the other 'occult' variations. As far a benefits a pack might bring, since they are often associated with olden times we might see some interesting things in B/B.