March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited October 2018
    Well, on the bright side, if we don't get University this year, I will finally start playing the ridiculous amount of unplayed games in my Steam Library. You can't resist games on sale for 5-15 bucks.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Well, on the bright side, if we don't get University this year, I will finally start playing the ridiculous amount of unplayed games in my Steam Library. You can't resist games on sale for 5-15 bucks.

I am guilty of buying games on Steam, GOG and never get around to playing them. But them sales are good and I can't resist. I hope University is next as well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I am guilty of buying games on Steam, GOG and never get around to playing them. But them sales are good and I can't resist. I hope University is next as well.

I'm guilty of this too. I must have a couple dozen Steam games I have hardly ever opened even - lol. Or that I opened the day I bought them and never went back. Most were beyond boring though or much more juvenile than their description and info showed. That is usually why I end up with so many I hardly ever go back to.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    I guess I am a bit different, since I come from MMO (SWTOR and SWG). I played SWG since it launched up until it closed and after the last expansion they really didn't add much except some new crafting items, and the the TCG Card game. I then switched to SWTOR, been there since launch and atm it is still going and I hope it doesn't close soon so I am not the type to jump from one game to another. I prefer them just to add some things to this one.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited October 2018
    What if Sims 4 never ends. What if it will never be a Sims 5. What if EA/Maxis decided to be just like (Microsoft and just keep updating Windows 10, and never make a Windows 11.)

What if we can get everything we want from a Sims game with our Sims 4, Even swimming in the oceans,

What if that's exactly their plan.
    I would love that, and I think the whole world would want to Play the Sims 4. They could even rename it.
    With Origin it's possible.

EA/Maxis could truly rule the world. :) Why make 5? If they can give us terrain tools and levels, and cars, we can surely swim in the Ocean.
    There would be no reason to Stop Sims 4. or whatever they may name it.

( I corrected a misspelling, from surly to surely, simple, but the difference in meaning is great.)
    Post edited by Stormsview on
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    The way I see things is Sims 5 will come eventually. (Not that I want it to, I would be happy with Sims 4 being built on)

Let the people who enjoy sims 4 get as many years as possible for new content because once they move on, that's it for any new content for sims 4. The only thing that will happen from sims 4 getting more years is having to be extra patient for sims 5. I want more from sims 4 than just the standard packs, as i'm sure others do to. There is no need to hurry it along. They have just proven with terrain tools that it is not as limited as some thought. So give them time and hopefully we'll get everything we could want and more! :smile:
    edited October 2018
    Stormsview wrote: »
    What if Sims 4 never ends. What if it will never be a Sims 5. What if EA/Maxis decided to be just like (Microsoft and just keep updating Windows 10, and never make a Windows 11.)

What if we can get everything we want from a Sims game with our Sims 4, Even swimming in the oceans,

I would love that, and I think the whole world would want to Play the Sims 4. They could even rename it.

EA/Maxis could truly rule the world. :) Why make 5? If they can give us terrain tools and levels, and cars, we can surly swim in the Ocean.

Well they are obviously not leaving Sims 4 soon anyway as the updates they did and are doing to the game, the AI, and the engine are not the kind of things a company does to a game anywhere in the throes of shut down. One of the Guru's mentioned they had done two overhauls of the engine - recently right when Seasons came out, they have been overhauling the gallery looks like for stability for long time use, and now SimsGuru ModSquad is totally upgrading Python to a new version for November. These are not repairs these are outright upgrades. I for one look forward to see what they do with it all.

I am thinking they are making it capable of handling things it couldn't before perhaps. Of course only they know for sure but that would be my best guess.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2018

Think about what it would mean for Simmers. we would forever have an updated, up to date Sims game. and all the money we invested in it, would be an excellent investment.

The Sims 4 would be truly for years on out.
    Everyone would want to own a Sims game. The best reason, it never gets old, but we get updated added content all the time.
    If they have not made this into their future plans, for Sims 4 or 5 it would a game changer. :)<3
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Have they actually said anywhere that they intend to continue Sims 4 for at least another 3 years?
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Linamints wrote: »
    Have they actually said anywhere that they intend to continue Sims 4 for at least another 3 years?

yes a lot
    more for sim kids and more drama please

Yes - That was confirmed by Grant and other Guru's as at least 3 more years.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,392 Member
    edited October 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m convinced that certainly is the case for Sims 3, but the fact remains that after four years of developing that game has tons of different things to do - even after years of playing after the last addition I find new things to do - and I still miss that in Sims 4. People are completely over the moon right now because they got something we had in Sims 2 and 3 right from the start. It’s “oh, yeah, and terrain tools, right, obviously” vs “yaaaaaaaay, weeeeeeeeeee, terrain tools, no waaaaaaaaay!!!!”, the old games simply can’t ‘win’ this can they, this hyping contest.

I'm still waitin' for my cotton' pickin' POND tool... Darn it!!!

@CK213 - I haven't got STEAM yet, but I'm considering using that service to get C:S. >:) Yeah, yeah, Origin, I know you got C:S too, but you just want to keep "seeing what I'm doing... just so you can get your grubby paws on my gaming info". :p

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

You can not Unfriend Origin
    zaY4IvL.gif
    Resis-tance is futile you will be assimilated
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018

EA/Maxis could truly rule the world. :) Why make 5? If they can give us terrain tools and levels, and cars, we can surly swim in the Ocean.

This is sarcasm, right? EA will end TS4, just like all the others. We can't get everything we want from TS4. It is impossible. We want more than swimming in oceans or other things in the older games. Yes, we like and want those things in this game, but it's four years later, and everything I dream about would require newer technology than what they are currently using. Didn't know about their S.E.E.D AI or engine or whatever, but it could bring Sims more to life than it is at this point. But like I said, I wonder if that would be more annoying.

MS may say they aren't going to ever build another OS, and yes, I have a bridge I need to unload. :D
    edited October 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Yes - That was confirmed by Grant and other Guru's as at least 3 more years.

Did they actually confirm that or was it more like Grant said they had plans enough for three more years? There is a big difference.

ETA: I won't spam my own thread, so this is also on my mind, now how many more years until we are able to remove trees, shrubs or trash cans around the neighborhoods? When do we see those neighborhood tools.? Told you on my wall gurus, it wouldn't take me long to go back to the list since it is a very long one.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Think about what it would mean for Simmers. we would forever have an updated, up to date Sims game. and all the money we invested in it, would be an excellent investment.

The Sims 4 would be truly for years on out.
    Everyone would want to own a Sims game. The best reason, it never gets old, but we get updated added content all the time.
    If they have not made this into their future plans, for Sims 4 or 5 it would a game changer. :)<3

I rather like this idea - it would allow the developers to work on more sophisticated improvements, such as overhauling the emotions and AI. That would in turn keep players engaged and buying DLC (since they do have to make money, that's kind of a requirement of any business).

I'm not crazy about porting the game to 'play anywhere' - as others have pointed out, this could severely limit our ability to add custom content and mods. (While I don't use them in Sims 4, I did use them extensively in past Sims games, and I know that a large part of the Sims community is more interested in modifying the game than playing it. They buy the DLC, too.) I also have no desire to play the game on a tiny screen. Finally, some of the concepts of smarter games might not be appropriate for the Sims franchise. It has always stood alone as the game in which, as Will Wright put, we are the directors, not the actors.

That said, there are some limitations to what they can do with the game due to the original design. If they take the constructive criticism into account, and don't try to shoehorn the game into a grand scheme of portability for everything, they could make a Sims 5 that combines the best of its predecessors. The important thing is that they understand that the Sims is unique, that what might be exciting for other games simply won't work with the Sims. The developers know this, but I'm not sure the corporate level understands it.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    Cinebar wrote: »

This is sarcasm, right? EA will end TS4, just like all the others. We can't get everything we want from TS4. It is impossible. We want more than swimming in oceans or other things in the older games. Yes, we like and want those things in this game, but it's four years later, and everything I dream about would require newer technology than what they are currently using. Didn't know about their S.E.E.D AI or engine or whatever, but it could bring Sims more to life than it is at this point. But like I said, I wonder if that would be more annoying.

MS may say they aren't going to ever build another OS, and yes, I have a bridge I need to unload. :D

(No sarcasm intended. Not joking. The problem could be that I misspelled a word, which could change the meaning a lot. but I corrected that.)

If there was a Sims 5 how do you think we would get Sims 5. I think through Origin. with an update.
    to me, that's how they have full control, even with a new engine. If they added change to the old a bit at a time soon over some years the old can become the new, and therefore The game could have everything. And if this is done over a few years we may not notice it.

Say you have a small home, with a small foundation. You want to stay there in that neighborhood. But you want a big beautiful new home.
    So first they start by building a new foundation, a little at a time removing all the old stone and bricks, soon its a new foundation, that can hold any size home that they may wish to build. bit by bit they work on each part of the old home until they replaced every part.

You could say this is the same home, but no its a totally new home. one that can be expanded and added to as much as you wish.
    This is of course speculation, but I think it would be good for the simmers.

They made The Sims then started all over and made Sims 2, then dropped that , started all over and made Sims 3, dropped that , Started all over and made Sims 4.

But what if they build and engine or changed the one they have, enabling it to handing anything they want to add even in the furture.

Sarcasm is nowhere in my post.
    edited October 2018
    Nah, I'm not buying it. The things I think about can't actually be done in TS4 and I'm not talking about things that some think are still missing, though there is a lot of that. It's more like things they have never done before, ever. Not EPs or GPs but the Sims, and the world environments. I know things I would like to see in future games can't be done in the current engine because it has to do with AI and more than coding to use an object or build a house. If it's hard to build a lounge chair it would be impossible for me to see the type of AI would like to see in the future implemented into the TS4. It would be way too much and too hard.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    If they ever get around to opening up at least the neighborhoods and adding Create-a-Style, someone send up a flare and I might try the game again. Until then, it's Sims 3 for me. (and a little bit of 2 now and again).
    If they ever get around to opening up at least the neighborhoods and adding Create-a-Style, someone send up a flare and I might try the game again. Until then, it's Sims 3 for me. (and a little bit of 2 now and again).

aww, such a cute kitty. I hope we get both of your wishes soon. :)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    What if the only reason Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 3 ended when they did was because they couldn't handle more content? What if acres of ideas were left out because they just couldn't fit more in?

Right from the start it was evident with the design and structure of Sims 4 that longevity of the game had been considered and planned for. We don't "need" any Sims at all. But I'm excited to find out what's possible when a Sims game doesn't get stopped early.
    I’m convinced that certainly is the case for Sims 3, but the fact remains that after four years of developing that game has tons of different things to do - even after years of playing after the last addition I find new things to do - and I still miss that in Sims 4. People are completely over the moon right now because they got something we had in Sims 2 and 3 right from the start. It’s “oh, yeah, and terrain tools, right, obviously” vs “yaaaaaaaay, weeeeeeeeeee, terrain tools, no waaaaaaaaay!!!!”, the old games simply can’t ‘win’ this can they, this hyping contest.

I totally understand why builders are ecstatic about the terrain tools by the way, but it’s beyond me why that had to take four years. What took them. I always assumed it wasn’t possible in Sims 4 for some reason, but apparently it was. More and more it seems the short cuts are caused by something else than “we can’t do this”. Anyway, I’ll keep an eye on the gallery in the near future, can’t wait for a house on a hill in my game!

Compare early packs like GTW with later packs like Seasons -- or even compare aliens with vampires. The longer the game goes, the more the developers discover what is and isn't possible with the game structure especially the game engine. In some cases, they simply ran out of time; @SimGuruGrant mentioned on Twitter that the reason we have the object babies is that they ran out of time to develop them properly. We already know that was the same situation with toddlers, that and the game had a different focus under the previous game director. Not to speak ill of the departed but the game did seem to take a positive turn when Rachel Franklin left and Lyndsay Pearson (a longtime Sims veteran) took over the reins.

I'm okay with them taking extra time for features as long as they get them right, and they keep working to perfect them. Maybe they keep working with the terrain tools so that eventually we can use terrain paint to cover them, and we still don't know if we can use MOO to place shubbery, rocks etc. on the sides. I'm more likely to use the new tools for buildings with different foundation heights on the same lot, like a house on a foundation with a detached garage or outbuilding flat on the ground. And I hope they won't interfere too much with building basements and the like -- the ability to seamlessly add basements is my favorite feature; I can keep the house above ground a reasonable size while expanding quite a bit below ground.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Nah, I'm not buying it. The things I think about can't actually be done in TS4 and I'm not talking about things that some think are still missing, though there is a lot of that. It's more like things they have never done before, ever. Not EPs or GPs but the Sims, and the world environments. I know things I would like to see in future games can't be done in the current engine because it has to do with AI and more than coding to use an object or build a house. If it's hard to build a lounge chair it would be impossible for me to see the type of AI would like to see in the future implemented into the TS4. It would be way too much and too hard.

The issue with the lounge chairs I gather is less to do with the actual chair than it is the interactions, especially when you take into account the multitasking (not just sitting, lying down but holding conversations, eating/drinking, possibly reading a book and/or playing on the tablet, etc.). We also don't know the effect changing Python versions will have -- maybe it will help streamline things so a lot of the bugs will get fixed during the conversion and fewer chances of bugs in the future.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Modders have been warned that they will have to deal with an updated Python engine, probably from November so I wonder what the new version will be capable of. The November date might mean that we get a new expansion or pack that needs it.
    You can not Unfriend Origin
    zaY4IvL.gif
    Resis-tance is futile you will be assimilated

Darn! :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited October 2018
    Considering what some of us Simmers do to our sims. :D ~guilty expression here, considering I drop meteors on my Sims~ Do we think that it's wise to program a seed AI with input from us? Considering that it's supposed to become a "superhuman intelligence" with the knowledge of what we as the "programmers" through our actions do it could rapidly become a no-win situation. "Humans are insane; needs elimination" could potentially become the protocol for that. :mrgreen:

Perhaps I'm not seeing the potential for this new technology, but as a product of the 1970s (before the home computing generation got into full swing), I'm leery of what the potential for seed AI could be.

If you remember the Doubling Theory that we all learned in school about the pennies doubling on itself every day and at the end of 30 days...well...let's put that into seed AI. You double the computing power every (let's say every 12 hrs)...and you're going to have a technological singularity essentially "an upgradable intelligent agent (such as a computer running software-based artificial general intelligence) would enter a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, with each new and more intelligent generation appearing more and more rapidly, causing an intelligence explosion and resulting in a powerful super-intelligence that would, qualitatively, far surpass all human intelligence"

I've always held the opinion that games are where we let our baser instincts out...see the popularity for first-person shooter games like Battlefield, CoD. And even in Sims. Who hasn't decided in early versions of the game "let's take the ladder out of the pool and let our sim drown..." or "walled up a sim that we wanted to get rid of and light off a firework causing an out of control blaze" - Do we want to let a seed AI get a hold of that sort of information? :mrgreen: I'm not sure I'd want a psychiatrist getting a hold of that kind of information let alone a potential super-intelligence.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top