March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Modders have been warned that they will have to deal with an updated Python engine, probably from November so I wonder what the new version will be capable of. The November date might mean that we get a new expansion or pack that needs it.

It's still early in the 3 years and out, and your showing proof of them updating the engine. They still want our Modders, that's a big win for simmers.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    If they ever get around to opening up at least the neighborhoods and adding Create-a-Style, someone send up a flare and I might try the game again. Until then, it's Sims 3 for me. (and a little bit of 2 now and again).

Not this time around I'm afraid.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    edited October 2018
    Stormsview wrote: »
    Modders have been warned that they will have to deal with an updated Python engine, probably from November so I wonder what the new version will be capable of. The November date might mean that we get a new expansion or pack that needs it.

It's still early in the 3 years and out, and your showing proof of them updating the engine. They still want our Modders, that's a big win for simmers.

It definitely shows that EA/Maxis are committed for several years at least as it must take a lot of work for them to update the game as well. It's a neverending task being a modder so maybe some will give up.

One wonders if the forthcoming upgrade was one of the reasons that the Help section has been moved out to Answers to stem the tide of user complaints from those who don't heed the warnings to remove Mods before Patching. :o
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    aricarai wrote: »
    If they ever get around to opening up at least the neighborhoods and adding Create-a-Style, someone send up a flare and I might try the game again. Until then, it's Sims 3 for me. (and a little bit of 2 now and again).

Not this time around I'm afraid.

I wouldn't consider this at all "reassuring".

Just means I will never buy anything beyond what I have, the base game.

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited October 2018
    Well it is reassuring to those of us that have spent on everything so far and don't want open worlds/neighborhoods. So I'm reassured lol.
    egTcBMc.png

OK, this is the beginning of our 3 years and out. I love what EA/Maxis is doing, and the new direction they are taking. I love the new change... My wish. <3

I only can hope that with our wonderful new Career, that EA/Maxis, do not keep the same clothing designers. Why? Because they would not know what Fashion is, If someone hit them over the head with Gucci fit, they would rather choose whatever (Leave it to Beaver's mom is wearing)." no pun intended" Just because they see each other at working dressing like their grandmom do not mean its cool. I would love to say bye to each and every one of them, from the top down. And please do not try to have a fashion career with no eyelashes, and no purses, And please, Men's Pants that they can actually fit.

Perhaps in your job interviews, Start with asking the candidate, If they have ever shopped at a Mall.
    I feel that EA/Maxis do not have any more wiggle room for messing up on this one. So please don't.
    The Simmers have been through enough fails, With Sims 4 from the start.

We do know you mean well, and I am sure you do not enjoy paying people to design and all you hear is complaints, the complaints are justified.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    Considering what some of us Simmers do to our sims. :D ~guilty expression here, considering I drop meteors on my Sims~ Do we think that it's wise to program a seed AI with input from us? Considering that it's supposed to become a "superhuman intelligence" with the knowledge of what we as the "programmers" through our actions do it could rapidly become a no-win situation. "Humans are insane; needs elimination" could potentially become the protocol for that. :mrgreen:

Perhaps I'm not seeing the potential for this new technology, but as a product of the 1970s (before the home computing generation got into full swing), I'm leery of what the potential for seed AI could be.

If you remember the Doubling Theory that we all learned in school about the pennies doubling on itself every day and at the end of 30 days...well...let's put that into seed AI. You double the computing power every (let's say every 12 hrs)...and you're going to have a technological singularity essentially "an upgradable intelligent agent (such as a computer running software-based artificial general intelligence) would enter a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, with each new and more intelligent generation appearing more and more rapidly, causing an intelligence explosion and resulting in a powerful super-intelligence that would, qualitatively, far surpass all human intelligence"

I've always held the opinion that games are where we let our baser instincts out...see the popularity for first-person shooter games like Battlefield, CoD. And even in Sims. Who hasn't decided in early versions of the game "let's take the ladder out of the pool and let our sim drown..." or "walled up a sim that we wanted to get rid of and light off a firework causing an out of control blaze" - Do we want to let a seed AI get a hold of that sort of information? :mrgreen: I'm not sure I'd want a psychiatrist getting a hold of that kind of information let alone a potential super-intelligence.

I think it would be exactly the opposite. Remove the ladder and the Sim would just pop one from their rear end. If you watched those videos yes, the agents were twisting and turning on dimes in ways characters may or may not do right now (but I didn't really see any improvement on that front) but were also adapting and overcoming any obstacles and what they needed to do next. Well, in the Sims this would just be used against the player in ways to save their little behinds instead of causing them more trouble. TS4 is already a good example of it. If they can learn and adapt in a newer AI, it's already in TS4, they just pull out fake food when you try to starve them, so I don't see this would be much fun, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

From what I've heard Python 3.7 is better at alerts for code conflicts, so it possibly could help in preventing bugs. And since they probably have to rewrite code anyway, that might be why no bug fix patches for September and October. November's content (terrain tools, new career, and possibly another pack) more than makes up for the delay. But bringing in a new version of Python isn't something you do if you're planning on ending a game any time soon.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

From what I've heard Python 3.7 is better at alerts for code conflicts, so it possibly could help in preventing bugs. And since they probably have to rewrite code anyway, that might be why no bug fix patches for September and October. November's content (terrain tools, new career, and possibly another pack) more than makes up for the delay. But bringing in a new version of Python isn't something you do if you're planning on ending a game any time soon.

Exactly.

Someone even asked Grant if they were going to up the requirement of the game for the new Python and Grant said not right now but they might in the future as the game ages and they improve more things. Indicate this game has a lot more planned for it than 3 years if you ask me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2018
    One complaint I do not have is building in sims 4, Sims 4 building is easy, we can build anything, We do need some features but even pre-teens can build on the sims 4. So I think they made it easier but they just did not add all the features, we still get by just takes a bit of creativity.

I disagree. Building in TS4 is easier, but the tools are less flexible and do not allow you to build anything, at least not properly. TS3 did though. I could build anything there, and there was so much variety of build/buy architectures and styles with the color wheel it was the best by far. TS3 build mode wasn't hard, you just need to learn how to use the tools, a lot of people want to instantly make houses, sometimes they end up looking like pre-schooler drawings. TS4 is only getting terrain tools after 4 years. Content/new features are really slow for TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

It's been stated several times by the gurus that, open world, or opening neighborhoods isn't happening though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    One complaint I do not have is building in sims 4, Sims 4 building is easy, we can build anything, We do need some features but even pre-teens can build on the sims 4. So I think they made it easier but they just did not add all the features, we still get by just takes a bit of creativity.

I disagree. Building in TS4 is easier, but the tools are less flexible and do not allow you to build anything, at least not properly. TS3 did though. I could build anything there, and there was so much variety of build/buy architectures and styles with the color wheel it was the best by far. TS3 build mode wasn't hard, you just need to learn how to use the tools, a lot of people want to instantly make houses, sometimes they end up looking like pre-schooler drawings. TS4 is only getting terrain tools after 4 years. Content/new features are really slow for TS4.

We now have terrain tools and can build at different levels, I made my comment that you quote before we got terrain tools, as I stated in my comment we were missing building tools. I will not allow anyone to take away my joy of getting our terrain tools, <3 also the ability to build at different levels.

Sir, If I feel that building in Sims 4 is easier or easy, I have a right to say how I feel. I have watched preteens build in Sims 3 and never complete a home. but in Sims 4 they enjoy building more than playing the game.
    So it's no right or wrong it's my view. I agree to disagree. Opinions? we all have the right to express ours. If you disagree, so be it. be well. o:)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2018
    Even though terrain editing will be possible and any new feature that is major does give the program more production time but eventually one has to come to an realization that a new version may be have to be done and avoid the mishaps of an previous project meaning stop using failed projects which is one of the reasons Sims 4 had gotten so much flak. You can add all the items you want but some want more features than items. It is good that EA/Maxis got Terrain editing to work but it is only one step in the right direction.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    I would say yes since there still lots of things to see and explore in the sims4 do you went to see sims5 5 rush out to the point that there will be glitch and bugs or would you prefer to wait 3 years and have the perfect sims5 game with everything that was in previous sim base game or wait on patch and buy dlc after dlc to have missing content?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    I will say building in TS4 is not easier. Because it's not. Anyone who builds in these games know how aggravating it is to have to use a porch tool on the roof so you can extend the roof overhead like an awning etc. Time consuming and annoying. Anyone who builds in these games know how the inability to remove one or two tiles removes the entire floor etc. is annoying and the work arounds are time consuming. Anyone who builds in these games know this game doesn't recognize rooms, and I suspect double walls though it looks like it is one wall when it isn't may be related to some lag in certain lots. But I don't know anything, right? :D And because people aren't paying attention to double walls it is more annoying than ever to remove them when you want to remodel and possibly leaves holes in a building until you do a workaround.

Don't even get me started after four years that people are still having to use the pool tool or fountain and place so called rocks around it to make it look like a pond. Terrain tools are great, however, if we can't dig down or slope terrain and other things, then what is the point exactly? One way and it's up doesn't rate to be called 'terrain tools'.

I won't mention the bad design of the roof decorations that sometimes cause wide gaps in floor tile or clip/bleed into the room below inside the walls. And the limitation of only one kind per wall height. (Cornice, I know this is not what it is called in these games but that is what is said around here.)
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    edited October 2018

That is because Sims 3 had a Build world complete program (CAW was a light version of the Maya Plug in called Build world) in it - that Sims 4 does not. Sims 4 is more free hand building and requires tools not in the game like Build world 3.4 or 3.7. The program to build is in the devs not in a program in the game. The tools depend on what tools and talent they have not a program.

Like wise Sims 2 utilized Sims City 4 programming to build their maps and roads - for people who did not have Sims City 4 they could use the template provided of the worlds the devs had created already for the game (empty versions) to make new worlds but if you had Sims City 4 you could build your own as that is what Sims 2 used.

Sims 4 has a program that allows you to build a building - period, and another that allow you to build a Sim. But it has no package program for you to build a world or to even build outside of a lot because there is no singular world or map building program for that purpose in this game. You cannot do what those games allowed if the tools and programs to do those things do not exist for your use in the game. So it does not matter what Sims 2 or 3 allowed if those programs are not available for this game and engine.

In dreams - I LIVE!

I remember a game that just gave players a box one small box.
    And with that, the players built them a world, with everything. our real world has.

That's what I love about the Sims 4 Gallery. Our builds come from our own creativity. Not a premade a pattern.

When I build something I build it from my own imagination. I love that people can no longer copy. Seeing so much talent in our gallery is inspiring. <3
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

That is because Sims 3 had a Build world complete program (CAW was a light version of the Maya Plug in called Build world) in it - that Sims 4 does not. Sims 4 is more free hand building and requires tools not in the game like Build world 3.4 or 3.7. The program to build is in the devs not in a program in the game. The tools depend on what tools and talent they have not a program.

Like wise Sims 2 utilized Sims City 4 programming to build their maps and roads - for people who did not have Sims City 4 they could use the template provided of the worlds the devs had created already for the game (empty versions) to make new worlds but if you had Sims City 4 you could build your own as that is what Sims 2 used.

Sims 4 has a program that allows you to build a building - period, and another that allow you to build a Sim. But it has no package program for you to build a world or to even build outside of a lot because there is no singular world or map building program for that purpose in this game. You cannot do what those games allowed if the tools and programs to do those things do not exist for your use in the game. So it does not matter what Sims 2 or 3 allowed if those programs are not available for this game and engine.

That was a pretty cool explanation actually. I didn't know that and it makes total sense.

I wish TS4 has such program but sadly it doesn't.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited October 2018

That was a pretty cool explanation actually. I didn't know that and it makes total sense.

I do think they may make more of the tools they use available hopefully - so there will be more creative choices for the builders. Seeing the game could not have a different program added to it at this junction - they could in fact make some of the tools you builders could use. Grant did say he thought builders would be happy and know they are not forgotten in future content. So they obviously have some more planned or it least sounded that way.

Fingers crossed for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Why was the decision made not to include this type of program then? I really appreciate your information, I am (and have been) just trying to understand why Sims 4 is so lacking in all areas for me.

edited October 2018

I do think they may make more of the tools they use available hopefully - so there will be more creative choices for the builders. Seeing the game could not have a different program added to it at this junction - they could in fact make some of the tools you builders could use. Grant did say he thought builders would be happy and know they are not forgotten in future content. So they obviously have some more planned or it least sounded that way.

Fingers crossed for sure.

Building was always one of the biggest things in TS since TS1 so I hope they add more tools and architectural styles. I can't actually wait to put my hands on the game with the build tools and separate foundations. Finally something actually big for build mode is coming and I'm exited to build houses again for the game. I hope more stair options are in the pipeline too as well as garages and cars.

I have to say, I hope the sims team can update traits, AI, interactions and the way relationships work in a future patch. Socialising is also one of the big points for the sims as a life simulator and in TS4 things are always the same, little drama, a lot of scripted events, not enough recognisement between family members and not enough involvement with townie npc's. If they could somehow improve socializing between sims in TS4 it would make the gameplay so much better.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    The upgrading of Python I think is very telling for the future of this game. There would be no reason to bother with it if it's not going to help with what's there already and especially for additions to this iteration. It makes me wonder if that at least 3 years will or could become quite a few more than that. It tells me that they are wholly invested in this game (which they tell us again and again). That makes me happy.
    egTcBMc.png
    edited October 2018

Why was the decision made not to include this type of program then? I really appreciate your information, I am (and have been) just trying to understand why Sims 4 is so lacking in all areas for me.

I do not know for sure - but I believe because neither type of program was available for this particular engine. Both of those programs are older for one (although Build world is constantly updated) and are not made for an engine that can be changed and updated like this very new style engine works. Smart technology engine are basically new age technology and ever changing environment is possible - never mind nearly endless advancement not even available in those standard type of programming.

Sims City 4 was out of the question - it has very old technology - and is sort of set in stone - not even feasible for todays standard and speeds. So that system is just plain too old and slow and difficult to even consider. I can not answer on the Build world - I just know that was a vastly different engine system than the engine they use now - and I believe Build world is basically a design made for the open world system only as it is very animated on it's own - so that might have had a lot to do with not using that system. Also the learning curb I am sure would fall even harder in using a smart technology system if you are just a player and not schooled in programming and systems. As it was that was the biggest complaint with CAW even on a far simpler system - was the learning curb - as it was not the easiest system to work with. But I honestly can only guess on this - that the main issues was not having an open world and that program designed for an open world.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    The upgrading of Python I think is very telling for the future of this game. There would be no reason to bother with it if it's not going to help with what's there already and especially for additions to this iteration. It makes me wonder if that at least 3 years will or could become quite a few more than that. It tells me that they are wholly invested in this game (which they tell us again and again). That makes me happy.

Yes - that is extremely telling and something I have never seen happen in all the games I play. I have at most seen a few older games updated and brought back a few times - but never in mid use - completely overhauled with the newest system. That is huge really when you think about it... and definitely says they have big plans in the works to go to that much trouble or what I assume is a lot of trouble otherwise wouldn't all popular games do such a thing? Whether people want to believe it or not - that is dedication to this game on the devs part for sure and on EA for saying yes. They could have said no - keep in mind. So I see plans and a future for sure still growing for Sims 4. You don't make that time and money investment in to an ending game...

I'm anxious to see where it goes even more so than ever. It is exciting to me as a new game to be honest.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Hermitgirl wrote: »

Yes - that is extremely telling and something I have never seen happen in all the games I play. I have at most seen a few older games updated and brought back a few times - but never in mid use - completely overhauled with the newest system. That is huge really when you think about it... and definitely says they have big plans in the works to go to that much trouble or what I assume is a lot of trouble otherwise wouldn't all popular games do such a thing? Whether people want to believe it or not - that is dedication to this game on the devs part for sure and on EA for saying yes. They could have said no - keep in mind. So I see plans and a future for sure still growing for Sims 4. You don't make that time and money investment in to an ending game...

Hopefully the upgraded python version allows for the game to run faster. Hopefully it also makes it so that the devs have an easier time finding bugs when they compile new game files.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top