Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Hint] University could definitely be the next expansion

Comments

• Options
    laiietalaiieta Posts: 3 New Member
    > @SimsILikeSims said:
    > If all they do for university is add a new world, a new venue, and uni courses, with some graduation robe CAS, they could still release it as just a game pack. I'm hoping they do it as a full EP, with several new venue types, and new objects, like a smaller microscope and telescope.

Yes, I totally agree with the EP option! I was also thinking of a new profession: a teacher. If this EP was for education in general, not just university, why not also allowing the option to work as a teacher (in different levels: elementary school, high school, college...)?
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I really wish we would get a more broader education pack than just university... also I don’t want them to implement features like sorrorities/fraternities because they don’t really even exist outside the US...

I want school lots and a more universal, Sims-style higher education experience (not just a copy of stereotypical American university).
    Same.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    One of the reasons S3 Uni was so popular is because players from around the world wanted a stereotypical American experience. Why take that away from them?
    Why should we be forced to experience someone elses fantasy? Why do you want to take our fantasy away from us?

Wouldn't it be better to have options, to be able to choose what you want your university to include?
    I want an on campus cafe, and an on campus bar.
    But I don't want my sims living on campus, nor to I want cheerleaders, 'greek houses', nor mascots.
    I want cricketers in the off season from uni.

You might want the things that I don't want, or want something totally different, someone else might want a mix, some of the things I want, and some of the things you want, but not all of both.
    What's wrong with the player being able to toggle on or off certain aspects, to create their own fantasy?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2018
    Movotti wrote: »
    I really wish we would get a more broader education pack than just university... also I don’t want them to implement features like sorrorities/fraternities because they don’t really even exist outside the US...

I want school lots and a more universal, Sims-style higher education experience (not just a copy of stereotypical American university).
    Same.
    One of the reasons S3 Uni was so popular is because players from around the world wanted a stereotypical American experience. Why take that away from them?
    Why should we be forced to experience someone elses fantasy? Why do you want to take our fantasy away from us?

Wouldn't it be better to have options, to be able to choose what you want your university to include?
    But I don't want my sims living on campus, nor to I want cheerleaders, 'greek houses', nor mascots.

You might want the things that I don't want, or want something totally different, someone else might want a mix, some of the things I want, and some of the things you want, but not all of both.
    What's wrong with the player being able to toggle on or off certain aspects, to create their own fantasy?

Everyone who has gone to college has had a different experience. The university I went to was a private university that didn't have the usual Greek system: there were some professional fraternities/sororities but they didn't have houses or throw toga parties. There was however, a cafeteria and a coffee bar, a theater, and dorms, and some sports teams including crew (rowing). Drinking on or off campus was forbidden since it was a Christian university, and there were daily required chapel meetings (I got put on chapel probation once for studying instead of attending meetings frequently enough). Dorm life for me was a big part of university that I would seriously miss if it was omitted. Once a week, we had "raids" when a "girls" floor would raid a "boys" floor by knocking on all the doors in the floor, or vice versa, and everyone from the floors would then go out on a social event (like a scavenger hunt). Then there were the pranks that dorm floors would sometimes play on each other (one of them involved rice krispying the whole floor - at the time my paid job on campus was to vacuum clean floors so I was glad I had a good professional vacuum). After I graduated, they added a fast food restaurant on campus (I forget whether it was pizza or subway sandwiches), and expanded the library, including changes to make it accessible.

Back to the topic of the Sims: I envision various new venues as follows: Dorms (kind of like apartments but with an editable common area or two where players could put pack-specific things like espresso bars or shared laundry machines, or a kitchenette, and maybe a new vending machine object or new pool/ping pong/air hockey table), music building, theater (it should at least have a stage and seating and restrooms with things like podiums and microphones optional) bonus if it has an orchestra pit, movie theater, and I would love to see the comic shop from Sims 3 university return (but not be tied to a nerds clique - maybe add a tabletop RPG area to it instead). I would also like to see a video arcade venue, complete with a variety of one and two tile video arcade games, maybe a skeeball game, and a mini basketball game. Another new venue I would love to see is a convenience store venue, complete with frozen yogurt machine and icee/slurpee machine, and things like nachos, hot dogs and hamburgers to go. An internet cafe venue would be a must, with a computer lab (and new object: laptop computers that come in several colors), but not so many bookshelves required (unlike the library). There should also be a classroom building venue, that has lots of seating, and a microphone or podium for each classroom, and a meeting room. An on-campus nurse's office would be a bonus. Finally, an admin building (used to register for University or file complaints with the office) would be a must.

Not only educators, but school counselors could be a new career added with Sims 4 University.
    Post edited by SimsILikeSims on
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

Same.

I'm have no doubt that you can customize your Uni experience to be what you want for your sims. If you don't want fraternities and sororities, then bulldoze the buildings. If you don't want your sims to live on campus, don't move them there. But whatever it is you do want, you should be letting the devs know, otherwise, you've no one to blame but yourself if you don't get those options.

You've been around long enough to know that no pack will ever measure up to everyone's wants and needs. Some things just won't be included.
  • Options
    But whatever it is you do want, you should be letting the devs know, otherwise, you've no one to blame but yourself if you don't get those options.
    No. I am not to blame.
    If they read my posts, and choose to ignore my suggestions, how am I to blame for that?
    You're being quite rude.
    You've been around long enough to know that no pack will ever measure up to everyone's wants and needs. Some things just won't be included.
    Try rereading my posts on this topic.
    I'm suggesting ways to cover more peoples preferences.
    I'm not demanding one particular style, I'm asking for the option to allow the player to choose what they want in their game.

In previous versions, if you don't have your sims living on campus, they don't get to attend uni. IT's time to change that. Give the option to commute, just as your sim can if they are cops, scientists or doctors.

If my sim has 3 kids before attending uni, there is no logic in sending them to live in a dorm, Let them commute, and continue with their family life, just as happens in most of the real world.

It's like you're saying that you only want black swans, when the rest of the world has white swans.
  • Options
    All of those are excellent suggestions that I have made before. It was my idea to call it an EDUCATION pack to include all possible forms of education. In college living on campus, in college living off campus, in college with a family and living at home, college on-line, including elders at college, night courses for adults that work during the day and several others options, so for you to call me rude is the definition of rude.
  • Options
    so for you to call me rude is the definition of rude.
    no
    Read your own words:
    But whatever it is you do want, you should be letting the devs know, otherwise, you've no one to blame but yourself if you don't get those options.

How is it my fault if they don't pay attention?
    You're being rude by suggesting that it is.

• Options
    so for you to call me rude is the definition of rude.
    no
    Read your own words:

How is it my fault if they don't pay attention?
    You're being rude by suggesting that it is.

If you want certain options in any pack you should campaign for those options and get others to see your point of view and join you, not waste time name calling.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    What I want in a University pack:

1) Actual days per semester (Sims can attend class Monday-Thursday, if needed on Friday or Saturday)
    2) Give Sims the option to visit home without graduating, dropping out
    3) The ability to take more than one class for majors
    4) Having to do homework, term papers, build skills to improve performance
    5) Actually being able to see inside the classrooms while class is taking place
    6) Bring back the option to change Aspiration at the end of the Sophomore Year
    7) Bring back the option to change Majors until the end of Junior Year
    8) Adults have the option to attend college at night or on Saturday to improve their careers
    9) Online classes from home
    10) If a Sim didn't like where they enrolled, they should be given the option to transfer to another college
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2018
    So based on a tweet by Grant, University is still just being considered for Sims 4.

https://simsvip.com/2018/09/06/simgurugrants-weekly-tweets-on-the-sims-part-6/
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    So based on a tweet by Grant, University is still just being considered for Sims 4.

But it says, not in any plans, so no, University will not be the next pack.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »

Yeah, when I saw that, it confirmed for me that University is not going to be next. I don't mind, considering we just got two of the most highly requested EPs back to back.
  • Options
    This forum has given a lot of feedback concerning a University pack vs. an Education pack. Maybe they are talking about options for one or the other and what's possible and what's not possible. They want to do things that are different and that they haven't done before, but those things need to be possible time-wise and budget-wise. Either might be far down the road.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited September 2018
    Don't know why y'all so fixed in the past expansions. If anything, I expect to get something new out of the education theme.

EDIT: Even if it get to be university, let's have a 2018 worldwild conception of university, not a 2005 American Pie experience.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    Even if it get to be university, let's have a 2018 worldwild conception of university, not a 2005 American Pie experience.
    Yes please!

If people want cheerleaders and mascots, let the toggle them on, don't force the rest of us to suffer them.
    And give us the opportunity to have a gap year, not everyone starts uni as soon as school is over.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Here's to hoping they patch laptops with University. Can you believe we still don't have them in TS4? They were such a simple base game thing in TS3.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Don't know why y'all so fixed in the past expansions. If anything, I expect to get something new out of the education theme.

EDIT: Even if it get to be university, let's have a 2018 worldwild conception of university, not a 2005 American Pie experience.

What's that mean? People from all over the world come to the US to go to school here to experience the American Pie experience. Harvard and Yale are two examples.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

What's that mean? People from all over the world come to the US to go to school here to experience the American Pie experience. Harvard and Yale are two examples.

I'm pretty sure that's not why.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

People come from all over the world to attend Australian Universities...
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    S3 also had a lot of issues. I was always difficult to get my sim to stop whatever they were doing and go to class and get there on time. No matter how early I sent them. there was always a bottleneck of other students in the one door of that classroom building shell (remember, they were shells back then, too), By the time my sim routed through the group, class would be over.

Plus, I hated the social groups. In theory, they were fine and a good idea, but they took over with tons of notifications popping up over and over.

Loved all the objects like pool table, ping pong table, vending machines and the comic book store. We already have tagging in CL, so that's done.
    What is tagging?
  • Options
    KatieSim wrote: »
    @Movotti 3 hours might not sound like much but it is a huge chunk of time out of our lives just to travel
    Better off living in a dorm in the USA than spending 6 hours in travel each day- his poor friend would have no time to play the sims! :'(
    Yes, I lived 2 hours away from my college and lived in the dorms too. It was enough driving back and forth on many of my weekends. But, my daughter lives at home and goes to college as I now live in the city. So, it would be nice to be able to see dorms and living at home in an education pack. I would also like to see pre-school through college, and college for young adult through elders.
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    S3 also had a lot of issues. I was always difficult to get my sim to stop whatever they were doing and go to class and get there on time. No matter how early I sent them. there was always a bottleneck of other students in the one door of that classroom building shell (remember, they were shells back then, too), By the time my sim routed through the group, class would be over.

Plus, I hated the social groups. In theory, they were fine and a good idea, but they took over with tons of notifications popping up over and over.

Loved all the objects like pool table, ping pong table, vending machines and the comic book store. We already have tagging in CL, so that's done.
    What is tagging?

Graffiti. Spray painting walls and sidewalks.
  • Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    To be honest, I feel like the next EP will be something like Island Paradise. They've tested the waters already by adding some Caribbean themed items so it makes me wonder if there's not something else in the works. Those new items got a lot of people talking about how they missed the tropical locations and the ability to go to the beach. I'm not saying that I won't want Uni, but I would love a tropical paradise world and activities a bit more. Vacationing or living on a tropical island seems way more appealing to me right now than Uni, but that's just my opinion. I just hope whatever we get next is good and fun for everyone.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    To be honest, I feel like the next EP will be something like Island Paradise. They've tested the waters already by adding some Caribbean themed items so it makes me wonder if there's not something else in the works. Those new items got a lot of people talking about how they missed the tropical locations and the ability to go to the beach. I'm not saying that I won't want Uni, but I would love a tropical paradise world and activities a bit more. Vacationing or living on a tropical island seems way more appealing to me right now than Uni, but that's just my opinion. I just hope whatever we get next is good and fun for everyone.

I agree, I would also like to see a farming pack with farm animals before university.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Technically the nest pack after Seasons was Get Famous, which is "Showtime". But I definitely see the pattern there. So I'm not sure of what our next Game Pack will be... but it IS possible that something BASED on University could turn up.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.