Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 logic vs real life

Comments

• Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Regarding the vegetarian thing... you both are right.

Some people go vegetarian because they have to. This may be due to an intolerance or dietary need.
    Some people choose to go vegetarian. They do it when eating meat otherwise would not harm them.

I did find it a little odd that vegetarian sims throw up after eating meat.
  • Options
    polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
    edited January 2018

Some people go vegetarian because they have to. This may be due to an intolerance or dietary need.
    Some people choose to go vegetarian. They do it when eating meat otherwise would not harm them.

I did find it a little odd that vegetarian sims throw up after eating meat.

What I'm saying is even if someone isn't naturally intolerant to something, if they don't eat it for a long time, they will get sick until their body gets used to it again. I assume that's why the creators did that. :)

Source: I was vegan for 5 years, I am not naturally intolerant to anything animal product wise (just gluten sensitive). Still got sick when I went back to eating normally.
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
  • Options
    You can put a car in your inventory. You can walk around the city and your car will be in your possession.
    The fact that everyone works the same shift. Hospitals don't have 24 hour coverage for nurses, doctors, etc.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    You can put a car in your inventory. You can walk around the city and your car will be in your possession.
    The fact that everyone works the same shift. Hospitals don't have 24 hour coverage for nurses, doctors, etc.
    There are overnight shifts in the Medical career. If we don't see any sims at the career levels that have those hours on-screen, we have to just assume that they are there working away and staffing the place anyway.

polrbear wrote: »
    What I'm saying is even if someone isn't naturally intolerant to something, if they don't eat it for a long time, they will get sick until their body gets used to it again. I assume that's why the creators did that. :)

Source: I was vegan for 5 years, I am not naturally intolerant to anything animal product wise (just gluten sensitive). Still got sick when I went back to eating normally.
    I've been eating veg only (not vegan) for over 30 years now by choice. I know what you mean and do agree, but have to take exception to the notion that I've been eating "abnormally" all of this time. It's normal for me. Even if there weren't a medical reason to be ill upon eating meat now, I would still certainly have the nausea moodlet if I did so and then realized it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    There are overnight shifts in the Medical career. If we don't see any sims at the career levels that have those hours on-screen, we have to just assume that they are there working away and staffing the place anyway.

I've been eating veg only (not vegan) for over 30 years now by choice. I know what you mean and do agree, but have to take exception to the notion that I've been eating "abnormally" all of this time. It's normal for me, now. Even if there weren't a medical reason to be ill upon eating meat now, I would still certainly have the nausea moodlet if I did so and then realized it. :)

Woot! Go Igazor! I've been trying to go back to veg, but. ..let's just say another interesting fact:

Milk contains morphine. My dad is allergic to morphine so he gets sick when he drinks it. The morphine is in nature meant to help the calf bond with its mama, but nowadays, it just serves to help humans bond with their cheese :D making it harder to let go...

Anyway, back to the sims logic!

My furniture appears out of thin air, into places it could definitely not be placed, any time I want to buy anything! It takes 0 minutes for all of this to happen.
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I've been eating veg only (not vegan) for over 30 years now by choice. I know what you mean and do agree, but have to take exception to the notion that I've been eating "abnormally" all of this time. It's normal for me. Even if there weren't a medical reason to be ill upon eating meat now, I would still certainly have the nausea moodlet if I did so and then realized it. :)

I'm glad to see we can still be friends.

Okay, vegans, I'm only kidding. It's just that I've met a few who were completely unbearable on the subject of their superior diets. Of course, I may be conflating correlation with causation, since those specific vegans were also totally insufferable about almost everything else.

I always thought that the vegetarian sims' nausea was as much mental as physical. I do know that the body will stop producing enzymes it doesn't need anymore. On the other hand, I've seen the same reaction in people who selectively avoid certain kinds of meat (like maybe lamb and veal, out of an opposition to slaughtering baby animals), even though there is no biochemical reason why they couldn't tolerate that particular food. It also makes sense that if someone is a vegetarian for philosophical reasons, eating meat would be psychologically upsetting, which could easily cause a psychosomatic reaction. Furthermore, since the nausea sets in immediately both in the game and IRL, I'm not convinced the meat proteins have even hit the bloodstream yet in sufficient quantities to cause a reaction. Full disclosure: I definitely don't know what I'm talking about.

But on the subject of this thread... It's understandable that vegetarians would never cook with meat or fish. But until a patch was released (I think? I updated and installed mods at this same time), meat-eaters couldn't learn any of the alternative recipes. So if you had a spouse or child who was a vegetarian, you had only a few low-quality options for making a dinner that the whole family could eat. Guess what, everyone. I made lobster thermidor! It took me an hour and a half, but it was worth it to see all those beautiful perfect meal moodlets. Except for you, vegetarian. I think there might be some autumn salad left over from when I was still learning to cook. But be careful; I just used normal lettuce from the neighbors' garden, and who knows what they might have sprayed on their plants.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    LOL, @puzzlezaddict you know more of what you are talking about than you give yourself credit for above. And yes, insufferable people are just insufferable no matter what their dietary restrictions are.

I only rarely hand out the Vegetarian trait to sims now because to me it isn't really anything all that special or worth making a huge fuss about. But for the households I rotate through, it does annoy me to see them eating "regular" food on their own when they are on-screen and not controlled by me, so that is reason alone to dole it out at times. I'd forgotten that non-veg sims didn't get to learn and prepare the more veg-friendly recipe versions at one time. That must have been long and many patches ago and would have made hosting home cooked meal type dinner parties also very challenging, in much the same way that I try to accommodate vamps by including a special dish for them that uses plasma fruit in the recipe. I think that might have been where I began using large collections of food and recipe related mods myself. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor I never pick the vegetarian trait because it's easy enough for me to tell each sim what to eat. (Generally when everyone's in bed, I just go down the list and start assigning breakfast. All the good little girls and boys get baked angel food cake, and I try to have everyone else's favorite foods on hand.) But since I've never seen it either way, I was wondering if you knew: Do pregnant vegetarian sims get a craving for cheese tofu steak instead of cheesesteak? Or spaghetti with veggie sauce? Most of the rolled cravings don't involve meat (mac 'n' cheese, grilled cheese, cookies, key lime pie, cobbler with grapes or watermelon, autumn salad or goopy carbonara at the park... wow, I might really be a TS3 addict), but I wonder if any of the EA developers paid enough attention to adjust these wishes for the vegetarians.

As an aside, I think it's kind of cute that non-vegetarians can now have a favorite food that uses tofu. I mean, if it really does taste that good, then why not? Plus, it has to be healthier than that store-bought steak that mom has been carrying around in her unrefrigerated inventory for two weeks. Speaking of sims 3 vs real life.
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I avoid the vegetarian trait, because the throwing up thingy annoys me. My sims eat mostly vegetarian, because I´m a veggie (not vegan, although I try to avoid milk) for about 10 years now. I want that tofu lobster, please! :D
    It is quite funny to give a vampire the trait.

Because it´s really cold outside: If you stay too long in the cold, you freeze into an ice block. But fear not: a simple hair dryer can save your life.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    But since I've never seen it either way, I was wondering if you knew: Do pregnant vegetarian sims get a craving for cheese tofu steak instead of cheesesteak? Or spaghetti with veggie sauce? Most of the rolled cravings don't involve meat (mac 'n' cheese, grilled cheese, cookies, key lime pie, cobbler with grapes or watermelon, autumn salad or goopy carbonara at the park... wow, I might really be a TS3 addict), but I wonder if any of the EA developers paid enough attention to adjust these wishes for the vegetarians.
    Not certain, but I'm pretty sure my pregnant sims who actually do have the trait roll cravings for veggie-specific recipes as well as the general ones you listed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    On the subject of vegetarian sims, I could never work out why they make their pancakes and cobbler without fruit.
  • Options
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    On the subject of vegetarian sims, I could never work out why they make their pancakes and cobbler without fruit.
    This one I've never heard of. My sims always used fruit in those recipes even before I had the Ingredients Overhaul and Cook with Any Ingredients mods in play. Almost afraid to ask, but what do yours use instead?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    When you're in between classes at college and people walk by in the hall and you think it would be cool if people had those name labels that you get when you roll your mouse over a sim. The Sims is on to something! ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    When you're in between classes at college and people walk by in the hall and you think it would be cool if people had those name labels that you get when you roll your mouse over a sim. The Sims is on to something! ;)
    As a weak way to protest against forced senseless conformity, a bunch of us in high school used to get annoyed with the student number bar code stickers we were issued to identify ourselves on computer graded mandatory standardized tests (and with the tests themselves). So during testing week, we all went around wearing the bar code stickers on our foreheads.

To be fair, I don't think any of us really amounted to very much after that... :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    This one I've never heard of. My sims always used fruit in those recipes even before I had the Ingredients Overhaul and Cook with Any Ingredients mods in play. Almost afraid to ask, but what do yours use instead?

@Igazor I will put an apple or whatever fruit I want the pancakes or cobbler to be in their inventory and when I look afterwards the fruit is still there and the pancakes and cobbler are merely called pancakes or cobbler with no fruit added to the name.
  • Options
    As a weak way to protest against forced senseless conformity, a bunch of us in high school used to get annoyed with the student number bar code stickers we were issued to identify ourselves on computer graded mandatory standardized tests (and with the tests themselves). So during testing week, we all went around wearing the bar code stickers on our foreheads.

To be fair, I don't think any of us really amounted to very much after that... :p

@igazor I wish we'd had the guts to try some form of protest (however meek) against standardized testing. In high school, we were all so terrified of tanking an SAT or AP test and therefore not getting into (insert college here) that I doubt it ever occured to anyone to rebel. That little booklet of bar codes we'd each receive at the beginning of AP season had way too much influence over our lives.

Of course, with typical school tests, our teachers weren't even allowed to use scantrons. I think someone had this idea that we were all such special snowflakes that even implying that our learning experiences could be summarized in standardized test format would crush our fragile sense of our own uniqueness. Not to mention stifling our budding creativity. I actually remember some of the older teachers saying something to the effect of, I personally don't think any of you are worth the extra time it takes me to individually grade your tests, but your parents have convinced the administrators differently, so here we are. But don't imagine for even a minute that this means I actually agree with them.

On the other hand, AP tests meant I got out of taking not one but two separate English classes in college, so for me at least they ended up being well worth the consternation and resentment.

That's one thing I wish at least a few of the teenage sims had—an overwhelming desire to avoid as much pointless busywork as possible. No matter which traits I give the kids, they always seem to want to do their homework as soon as they get home. And while they can "slack off" in school, there's no option to "get into a twenty-minute argument with the Simlish teacher about whether writing a series of essays on Shakespeare is actually helping anyone learn or is in reality only supporting the forces of mandatory assimilation that stifle any expression of dissenting opinions just when students are finally beginning to develop the intellectual tools to form their own opinions." I mean, even Sims occasionally need defense lawyers, and they have to start honing their skills at some point.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Your teachers weren't allowed to use scantrons? That's strange.

Sims logic: Even if the teppenyaki grill is in their own house, it would be so rude of them not to change into full chef's uniform ;)
  • Options
    Huh, @puzzlezaddict is correct. It was indeed the AP exams that provided those fun student ID stickers on the forehead moments I was so fondly recalling and not state level standardized testing. Scantrons wouldn't have been sufficient alone because AP exams require, or at least they did back then, both multiple choice and free answer type questions and the brand name hadn't quite taken off yet.

OMG, those (American/European) History exams. Here are 26 lettered documents to analyze, exhibits A through Z, before writing your essay. As far away from multiple choice, scored strictly by computer, as one can get.

Part of the point of the stickers was to allow the different sections to be scored separately from each other, then the exams needed to be reassembled efficiently with no sections getting lost. And yes, okay there was some value to being able to skip over how poorly Calculus I and II were taught at Uni and jump right into III. Only our precious little feelings of perceived individuality suffered because suddenly we were each reduced to a bunch of numbers like everyone else in the country taking those tests at the same time. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Wait, didn't you guys pay to take that exam you were protesting, then?

I had to pay up front for all the AP testing.

Seems pretty silly to rebel against a test you spent money to take :lol:
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited February 2018
    You can upgrade community lots with all-in-one shower units and help avoid random stinky Sims wandering around.

The game doesn't recognize the all-in-ones as a replacement for toilets and sinks.
    So if you want to get the benefit of upgrading your community lot (investment wise) without cluttering up you bathrooms ...
    You have to build a basement with no access and put toilets and sinks in it.

Edit:
    It should be noted that it takes Sims less time to use the all-in-one shower units than the toilets and sinks anyway.

A tip would be to upgrade the units to self-cleaning.
    And ... If they ever break ... Have a Sim with the plumbing achievement fix them.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    @igazor Wait, didn't you guys pay to take that exam you were protesting, then?

I had to pay up front for all the AP testing.

Seems pretty silly to rebel against a test you spent money to take :lol:

@polrbear Well, it was our parents' money, so...

Besides, after taking an entire yearlong class whose express goal was to get you as high an AP score as possible (as opposed to, you know, actually teaching you anything interesting), and then basically being forced by the school to take a standardized test to prove your worth, whether you cared about the college credit or not, a little rebellion was definitely in order. And if you think I'm exaggerating about the single-mindedness of the classes, after the AP, the teachers mostly wouldn't bother even trying to teach us anything for the rest of the school year. In one class, we watched four different movies (an hour at a time), in a few, we just had a study hall, and once, a teacher gave out a series of assignments that absolutely no one turned in; he actually tried to convince us to do the work for *love of learning* reasons, then resorted to pleading, and finally just gave up. And no, we weren't seniors.

I remember one teacher, at the beginning of the school year, telling us precisely how many of his students from the previous year had scored a 3, 4, or 5 on the AP. He said to us that a 4 or 5 was fine, but if you got a 3, he felt like it wasn't your fault but that he had personally failed you as a teacher. And he was serious. The school would actually prevent students from taking an AP class in the first place if the previous teacher thought they couldn't get at least a 4, regardless of what the students were interested in, or which prerequisites they'd already taken. And then if you were in the AP class, the school would make you take the test unless you specifically requested an exemption. I think there was a whole process where you had to *prove* you weren't ready, but I didn't actually try, as my mom never let me get out of anything schoolwork-related.
    OMG, those (American/European) History exams. Here are 26 lettered documents to analyze, exhibits A through Z, before writing your essay. As far away from multiple choice, scored strictly by computer, as one can get.

I always knew there was a reason I never took AP US History (the class). I had to push back against the school not to (juniors were "strongly encouraged" to take it), but I'm glad I got out of it. My friends were absolutely nuts during the weeks leading up to the test, racing through pages and pages of IDs and random arcane trivia and there's this thing that was a multiple-choice question once 20 years ago so it might reappear and what if it does and how do I write a paragraph on something I barely remember and... One girl had an actual breakdown and needed to be hospitalized; she still wasn't ready to come back to school the next fall.

I'm surprised some of us didn't burn our ID booklets on the front lawn... once the tests were over, of course.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Good one! I always thought they should outlaw those tests. College tests are the reason why I developed test anxiety.
    I always thought it was wrong that one test (the SAT) decides if you get into college or not. Many people are just bad test takers. I don't think our sim friends are plagued by ruthless testing. >:)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @puzzlezaddict I'm sorry that you had terrible teachers like that, but not all of the system is like that.

I understand standardized tests. But I am sorry for the plummy teachers who apparently sucked all the fun out of learning...

No one was ever freaking out at my school like it sounds they were at yours.

Btw, I took AP US History too, happy to have something in common. And no, I probably did not do as well as igazor :disappointed:

My school had fun learning. For instance, in AP Biology we got to draw things, make models, experiment on freshmen, and we went to the zoo together in New York, we took a train out. It was bomb. Editing in here: We learned so much better because of this, we wanted to know because we could see it all.

I'm really lucky to live where I live I guess. They gave all the seniors iPad minis for the year. I hear they've now bought more and distribute to the juniors as well.

I sure know why my parents chose to move to this town for its education system. None of us really felt the need to rebel against the testing, just the dresscode ;)

I'm sorry your teachers weren't any fun :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Besides, after taking an entire yearlong class whose express goal was to get you as high an AP score as possible (as opposed to, you know, actually teaching you anything interesting), and then basically being forced by the school to take a standardized test to prove your worth, whether you cared about the college credit or not, a little rebellion was definitely in order. And if you think I'm exaggerating about the single-mindedness of the classes, after the AP, the teachers mostly wouldn't bother even trying to teach us anything for the rest of the school year.
    Ours was a public school and more of a hybrid system. Most AP students did take the exams (in May), we didn't have to, and our performance or lack of it had nothing to do with our grades for the classes. The History one I was recalling wasn't that stressful to me, even if I were to have fallen asleep in the middle of it and turned in a mess of an exam it would have been nothing more than a waste of time and the testing fee unless I really had plans to be a history major in college. I actually did fall asleep in the middle of the English one, but only for about a minute or two thankfully.

In between the exam and the end of the school year (end of June), I do recall that there were no classes in English, History, or Chem and there were no final exams. Instead, we were all on our own to complete our year end projects for each class, and those were used in place of final exam grades -- not turning them in would have resulted in an F for the "final exam" grade and negatively impact our GPAs, but we all for the most part knew where we were going next year by then anyway. I suppose if we failed the English one we might have failed the class and then not been able to graduate high school without making it up over the summer as four years of English of some kind was a state requirement. Math (Calc) was the only one that continued on from where we left off and had its own final exam as if the AP never happened. We were all seniors though, juniors didn't take AP classes although I wish we could have.

My school had fun learning. For instance, in AP Biology we got to draw things, make models, experiment on freshmen, and we went to the zoo together in New York, we took a train out. It was bomb. Editing in here: We learned so much better because of this, we wanted to know because we could see it all.
    ROFL! I took Chem, not Bio, but now I feel like an important part of my education has been missing and I never knew it all this time! Not to mention having missed out on the experience a freshman must get by having been experimented on. :p

Anyway, this is the way it should be done. We were, after all, being spoon-fed college level classes that typically lasted one semester (maybe two) with "lectures" only 3x/week stretched out over a full school year and 5x/week. There was plenty of time for creativity on how to be taught and still get through the core material.

Being provided with iPad minis would have been an interesting twist on it all though as it would have been almost 40 years before they actually existed. I wonder what we would have done with/made of them at the time. :p

Anyway, to make this post somewhat relevant to the game, this kind of thing is why I love sending select teens to Uni with their older siblings or cousins (Traveler mod) so they can get a head start on their higher education while really still in high school. They don't need that head start of course since time stands still while in Uni anyway, but it just seems like more fun to me this way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @polrbear I didn't mean to make it sound like my teachers were terrible because most of them were good if not great. My AP teachers were generally wonderful, and I loved them; they had a section or two of AP whatever because they were the best. (Except for calculus—the best math teacher by a wide margin flat-out refused to keep teaching BC Calc because he couldn't stand it anymore.) It's just that the pressure to make sure their students aced the AP limited how much creativity they could have in class. And that pressure ultimately came from the parents, who made it clear to the school that they weren't paying an arm and a leg in tuition just to see their children have a good time. If they wanted that, they'd send their kids to a public school (some of which were actually very good, but didn't let parents buy special treatment for their children). One of those advantages was taking some APs junior year, even if the kids would have benefited from waiting.

I never took AP Bio, but from what I heard, it was almost as stressful as US History. I think that it had as much to do with who took each class—Bio was an AP that was considered accessible to students who didn't have the technical skills for the most hardcore science. So then those kids needed to work harder to compensate, and specifically memorize more in lieu of understanding the underlying concepts. But even Chemistry and Physics just didn't have time to mess around; most of the fun stuff happened in the regular versions of the classes. On the other hand, my AP Chem teacher gave me a couple of personal assignments for extra credit when I was bored, and those were a lot of fun. I got to learn all about the creation of synthetic isotopes (heavier than plutonium) in particle accelerators just because I found it interesting.

I'd have loved to experiment on freshmen, but there's no way the teacher who let that happen would've made it through the week without being fired. I was in high school during a transition phase, where all of the "traditional" ways to have "fun" were identified as bullying behavior (which they mostly were), but nobody had figured out what to do instead. The PCness often went way too far, though. In eighth grade, students had long been taking cheek swabs and sticking them on a slide to examine under a microscope. But the year before mine, some student had seen a bunch of white blood cells on the slide and then been sick (just the flu) a couple of days later. Therefore, we couldn't take our own swabs because someone might be embarrassed for the rest of the class to see an anomaly. Which, fine, if you don't want to, but we weren't even given the choice. I'm sure the school has a much better approach now, but it didn't develop while I was there.

Oh, right, we're talking about TS3. This got me thinking how it would be fun for teen sims to have projects and skill-building as assignments. As in real life, younger kids just have to show up on time and do their homework, but older ones should actually be learning something useful. Of course teens get opportunities like improving writing or charisma, working for an evening at the business office, or delivering a fish to the science lab, but completing them is useless if the kid already has an A. I know that some skills help if you send them to University, but it would give the teen years a bit more character as well. Experience meters could drop or reset each time a teen stays at the max for a bit, simulating the different grade levels; an extra-credit project could then make a big difference. And what if there were actual graduation requirements—say, a minimum of two points in a list of skills, and four or five in a specialty or two? Or maybe have a "senior project," like building an invention or performing a recital. How much fun would it be to unleash the Time Machine on an unsuspecting vice-principal? It's a lot harder to assign detentions when you're stuck in the stone age.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top