March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Magic" Expansion with Witches and Other Spellcasters

LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
edited March 1 in Nominated Threads
So some time back in February, shortly after Vampires came out, there was a fabulous thread dedicated to everyone's ideas for Witches. As a proud member of #TeamSupernatural, you can imagine I had a lot of ideas to contribute. So, once again, I figured these suggestions belonged in the Ideas Forum, so I'm posting a copy of my own ideas here, where hopefully, the devs will read and consider them. You can find the original glorious thread here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/913471/lets-start-discussing-witches/p1

I feel that they should drop the theme of "witches" and expand it to something more general like "spellcaster" or "magic user". Then we could have a variety of Casters that we could make. Perhaps the type of Magic User would determine the power path. We could choose to play witches, wizards, voodoo priests, sorcerers, hedge mages, necromancers, alchemists, etc. Why not have it all? They could have certain default powers be exclusive to each category, and then have a selection of spells that we could buy (like the vampire pack) to customize our Casters. Sims should be able to become a Caster through studies, enchantment, birth or apprenticeship, as well as be created in CAS.

I also feel that some of the powers should include raising the dead, for both bringing sims back to life and also creating zombies. I'd personally love a mummification ritual too, so we could have mummies back, and perhaps a way to create golems and creatures like Frankenstein's Monster (which would have been great with careers in Get To Work, but wasn't included.) Rituals should be a thing for the "magically imbued" that can be studied and learned by any Caster.

Potions are a must, and I'd like to have elixirs that transform sims as well, not just into frogs and such, but also in a Jekyll and Hyde way, maybe giving them a dark form similar to a vampire, that maybe tweaks their behavior somehow. Various potions should also be able to cure vampires (and other supernaturals) and be learned without vampire lore, and perhaps give some skill boosts and freeze need decay for a time, among other things.

I'd like to see various tools for different Casters too, like wands and cauldrons, staffs and scepters, bones, tarot, candles, tomes, etc., and also a way to purchase the ability to cast using just their hands.

I'd like to see wards that work like lot traits that prevent supernaturals from entering homes, brooms that can be enchanted to clean, and spells that conjure meals and repair things.

Honestly, there is so much infinite potential when magic is involved that I feel it's too big for just a game pack. But maybe we could have an expansion that is like two game packs put together, and we could have the other supernaturals that I mentioned, plus a cool new full map with bayous, castles, and weird places, and a bunch of new build/buy stuff. It could be an expansion in which magic in general is the main theme. (Kind of like Makin Magic)

Back when I used to play Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition (dating myself here, haha) there were "schools" of magic, that were like categories for spells. They included Enchantment/Charm, Necromancy, Illusion, Summoning/Conjuring, Divination, Evocation/Invocation, Alteration/Transmutation, and Abjuration. Now, in the very famous Harry Potter story, they had something similar when students attended Hogwarts, and they took a variety of classes that taught specific types of magic. Transfiguration, Charms, Divination, Astronomy, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures, Runes, Potions, etc. Also, there is a huge variety of fantasy fiction and media that references a plethora of magic types like elemental, nature, spirit, forces, mind, time, etc....

Now, I know that the devs can only put so much into a pack, so I'd really love to see a bunch of these categories kind of condensed into a variety of magical paths that make sense for the Sims world, that the spellcaster could choose from. It would be similar to the Vampire powers, of course, but I feel like it should be a little more branched out because, after all, magic encompasses an enormous potential. I'd like to see a way to "specialize" in a certain category, if it's possible. I brought up previously that I'd like to see a variety of spellcaster types, like Witches, Wizards, Voodoo Priests, Druids, etc. who, when chosen, came with a default spell or two specific to their type, that they wouldn't have to purchase with points. For example, a Druid might come with an ability to make garden plants evolve faster (need that! ;) ), but it could still be a purchasable power option for other spellcaster types. Maybe the type of caster also determines what kind of implement they have options to use, or what kind of visual effect appears when they cast. In the same example, the druid might have an option to use a knotted staff, and/or maybe a whoosh of leaves appear when they cast. I know that might be a little too ambitious for development, but I'd still like to see it if it were possible. I suppose that implements could also just be cosmetic accessories in CAS for people who really want them. That said, I do think there should also be a way to play a spellcaster without a category, like a "wild mage" or "hedge mage", and they would just cast with their hands and maybe start off with the ability to buy a low level spell to start.

But I was thinking, also, of some cool things that spellcasters could do in game, but some of these things would be dependent on other expansions, so I don't know if it would go over well, but it would give the pack the potential to really branch out and I'd love the options to be there for "crossover" spells. Examples: If there was a "Celestial" path, it might be able to summon aliens, get someone abducted, banish aliens, etc. (Would require Get To Work). There could be a "Fauna" path that deals with the control of sims and animals, (would require pets and/or werewolves) could summon pets, maybe turn someone or themselves into an animal, turn someone into a werewolf, etc. An "Elemental" path could manipulate the weather, (would require a weather pack and/or seasons) as well as cause fires, freeze, blow sims down with wind to be dazed, etc. A "Necromancy" path could bring a Sim back to life, turn them into a ghost, vampire, mummy or zombie, or turn them back into a normal Sim, (would need, of course, other supernaturals like zombies), and change a Sim's age, etc. In any case, this would mean that a spellcaster/magic pack would have to come after some of these other things were already released, or have them included with the pack somehow.

Anyway, I have a bazillion other ideas but this post is already pretty long, so I'll leave it at that for now. But I do really want to see voodoo and druids and necromancy included somehow. Pretty please? :)

P.S. Familiars! Both animal and undead (zombies), plus control a pack of animals or summon "minions". And we must have new travel powers! ...On brooms, teleportation, mystical gateways, and elemental travel!

ALL OF THE MAGIC! <3
#Team Occult
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• SmilinSimsSmilinSims Posts: 560 Member
    I'd love a witches expansion!
    Do you want to WIN the new Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack??? To WIN you MUST be subscribed to my YOUTUBE channel Watch contest video for rules!

acrehk.jpg

• WillKDavidWillKDavid Posts: 136 Member
    Makin Magic was my favorite pack for Sims1. I'd love to see a new version updated for Sims4. Everything that was great about that game with all these ideas thrown in. I'd even like to see the rabbit hole again for Sims to travel between worlds. Why not include things like fairies, trolls, and ogres. It might be difficult to put all of this into one expansion. Maybe one expansion and one game pack?
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
    WillKDavid wrote: »
    Makin Magic was my favorite pack for Sims1. I'd love to see a new version updated for Sims4. Everything that was great about that game with all these ideas thrown in. I'd even like to see the rabbit hole again for Sims to travel between worlds. Why not include things like fairies, trolls, and ogres. It might be difficult to put all of this into one expansion. Maybe one expansion and one game pack?

Well, I also had an idea to put all of the Fairy folk in a Mythology pack, separately. Here's a link to that if you're interested. :)http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/924934/mythology-pack#latest
    #Team Occult
  • -Paige--Paige- Posts: 59 Member
    I would love a Magic game pack and if they could incorporate the vampires leveling system to a witch/caster/ect, that would be super awesome!
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'd love the see a Magic Academy for Witches. Also I'd like to have other supernaturals in this Pack that are related to witches, like Zombies. In TS2 witches could bring dead sims back to life as Zombies. And they have been pretty funny with their slow walking animation and hunger for brains. (Hopefully not so annoying like the zombies invasions in TS3!)

Also witches should be able to instantly turn a Sim into a ghost. (Because right now it's kind of hard to have a playable ghost in TS4)
    a256aFi.gif
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2017
    Well if they wanted to simplify it,

I'd prefer a Spellbook UI, and Sorcerers, or casters would be able to read/highlight which chapters they'd want to learn and focus on.
    the book would be non linear, meaning you don't need chapter two to progress to chapter 3. the only thing is (I imagine the Book to be 10 Chapters) the chapters will get harder as you go up the ranks.

Chapter I "Arcane" - The introduction that tells you what's up. Sims with the Arcane Trait,

Chapter II "Two Sides of the Same Coin" - The Study of Light and Dark Magic, no Alignment, Sims can freely wield the awesome powers of light and dark magic.

Chapter III "Transportation" - mist form, but not black/white Smoke, I want the Smoke color, Red... or reintroduce Favorites, the Use of Favorite color, can reflect on the color of Smoke/Mist when Sims go *Poof*

Chapter IV "Potions, Elixirs, Curses, Alchemy" - The study of crafting Potions, Curses, and Alchemy, the only things I'd change about this is No more "Need Fixers" and Transformation by Potions, my eyes are getting tired of rolling every time I see these.
    How about actual potions that Better or worsen Sims Lives?
    -Potion of Fertility - allows the chance of a baby (or 2 or more.) (Undoes Curse of Infertility below.)
    -Potion of Invincibility (for x amount of time Sim will be Invincible, They can walk through fire, survive a lightning strikes,
    -Curse of Infertility - Ruin the chances of a couple ever conceiving a child. affecting those who wish to be a "Big Happy Family/Successful Lineage" can't complete this aspiration... unless they look at adoption, or see about a potion of Fertility.
    -Corpulent Curse - makes sim fat
    -Gaunt Curse - makes sim skinny
    -Sleeping Curse - Put a Sim into permanent sleep, only woken by true loves kiss.
    Note: "true loves kiss" is not solely romantic, any sim with High relationships Best Friend/Soulmate can wake the Victim from Sleeping Curse
    Side effects: (When awoken) Haunted nightmares, Insomnia (Energy need won't decay for several days)
    -Isolation Curse - putting a sim in a place where they can't interact with anyone.

Chapter V "Elementalist" - Focuses on the Study of the 5 Elements, Fire, Water, Earth Wind and Spirit, how to manipulate them. (Spirit is the use of Mysticism, Sims with this power can Awaken another Caster's Arcane trait, sever it, and make it dormant.

Chapter VI "Summoning" - conjuring, or summoning people, or objects to your side.

Chapter VII "Enchanting" - Charming, Perfecting and upgrading objects to your liking, You will need this spell for Creating your Magic mirror, BroomStick.

Chapter VIII "Transformations" - Learn to transform, Humans into animals, Life states into other Life states, (Pets EP for cat/dog/fox/raccoon)(Base game only allows Frog, fish, Insect), objects, statues.

Chapter IX "Blood Magic" - "Family Magic" placing blood locks on special/spells/objects you only want Family be able to break.
    for example: Placing a Blood lock on a Sleeping Curse. restricts only family can wake up a victim of sleeping curse.

Chapter X "Forbidden Magic" - Spells that shouldn't cast or you wish to avoid, but who am I to tell you what to do!
    - Time Travel (Possible)
    - Heart Rip - Reching into the chest cavity of another/self, and plucking out the heart, like an apple off a tree. "Once the heart is removed from the body, the heart is Now Enchanted, Stronger than a normal heart."
    Now when you hold a Heart, you wrest control that victim's will.
    it's like Voodoo but far stronger.
    •Hearts Can be ripped out of Children - Elders, cats and dogs.
    •Hearts can be restored by anyone.
    •Hearts can Be Crushed, "destroying" a heart will not kill the Sim, only their emotions, ability to love, feel happy, feel anger, all of it.
    I really want this one. it's Such an awesome spell.

- Necromancy - (Prerequisite, Learn Chapter VI "Summoning")

another thing would be hand magic to be default, wands, staves brooms. should definitely be optional/ required for certain spells, like Time Travel, and Necromancy.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

The permanent sleep-curse that could be broken by a kiss got me itching to start a romantic fantasy story. One of my favorite guys is fast asleep in a room in a high tower and his girlfriend is sparring with vampires and dueling witches to come and rescue him *swoons*

I would like weather-witches but it might be too much to ask for. Just know that my future farmer would keep himself in their good graces at any cost.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If they made it an all inclusive MAGIC pack, that would cover any magical creature, witch, wizard, genie, fairy, etc. We, then, could create whatever creature(s) we wanted to play. And we could define it our own way, for example: In my game, I could limit witches to potions only magic, wizards to rune only magic, genies to magic that they are born with, etc.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I like the idea of magic and bringing back supernatural from previous games. Maybe they'll do them in game packs to give each supernatural it's own dedication like the vampire pack.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I want different kinds of magic, not just Western Witches and Wizards.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,142 Member
    edited October 2017
    Don't forget the native american shaman .

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • killed.Persephonekilled.Persephone Posts: 53 Member
    > @Loanet said:
    > I want different kinds of magic, not just Western Witches and Wizards.

AHS: Coven shows a nice opportunity for a non-Western Magic Society. Although the modern voodoo practices originate in the southern states of the USA (New Orleans a.k.a. Willow Creek), they are based on their African roots. Similarly, the local representation of modern western witches is very interesting. Also the possibility to form a circle must be given.
    ORIGIN-ID: killedPersephone
    My Builds: Dark Dreams Architectures
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    I would really enjoy this one Elsa definitely deserves to be included in this pack! Also I used to play Quest for glory and I would love that also incorporated some how in this. Think of all the magical creatures that game and other sierra adventure games had!
  • tropicanahanatropicanahana Posts: 9 New Member
    YES!! My sim self lives in a replica of the house from practical magic, and would be so perfect if there were items/hobbies/traits I could add to give her and her home more magic!!

I'd like my sims to be able to have mystical hobbies and a spiritual side in their every day sim life! I would like to have different occultic skills that any sim can have not just witch sims, with becoming a witch or joining a coven/secret society is something that opens up for them when they have mastered one or more of the skills. Children of two witches are automatically witches too. We definitely need a divination skill- you can build up this trait by studying tarot, scrying and palmistry and get good enough to offer tarot readings and read palms as a social interaction. Also another skill could be the medium skill, where you practice and become good enough to speak with ghosts, summon ghosts, and there could be a dark side to this and you can summon a demon for your bidding. It would be neat if some sims naturally have the medium skill, especially teen/child sims and they can be haunted by it or embrace it and it leads them into acquiring the full medium trait. A sim with the medium skill can offer communication with sim's past loved ones. potions master would be another great skill and hobbies like collect herbs, make perfumes, make love potion etc... Full witch sims can learn to fly brooms, and choose to be evil witches with desires like sim sacrifice, and making voodoo dolls (collect sim hair could be step one to making a voodoo doll!)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Sims VIP says the next EP/GP (after the one coming out soon) might be witches because of hints in Laundry Day
    6adMCGP.gif
  • hellbunny123hellbunny123 Posts: 52 Member
    I would love a witches game pack! Mixed in with fairies and mythical creatures! I made a fan trailer for the witch pack, you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hoBkgrgRY :):)
    I would love a witches game pack! Mixed in with fairies and mythical creatures! I made a fan trailer for the witch pack, you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hoBkgrgRY :):)

Love it! :)
    #Team Occult
  • ZedFeZedFe Posts: 7 New Member
    I think the Witch life state should open the sim up to all kinds of magic types, but not be required for magic itself. Human sims should still be able to be in tune with nature and magic, but their magic would only be able to be done in rituals and potions while Witches are free to do magic outside of those formats. The success of these rituals and potions should depend on their traits because the sim would need to be serious for it to work.

Supernatural sims should be a lot more secretive than they were in Sims 3. I liked the idea of vampires having a form they shifted into in the vampire pack, and I wish all life states had a similar type of form. Sims should not know that sim is supernatural unless they told them, the Perceptive trait is brought back and they have it, or if that sim changes into their true form.

Vampires would be largely the same, but more sim-like in their regular form. Even in their regular form, they will be slightly paler.

For Witches, their Supernatural form would usually just be into their robes and hat unless they're extremely good or evil. Really Good witches should glow a white aura around them, while bad witches should have green skin and an evil aura. In their regular forms, they should just look like regular sims. Even though a Witch must be a Teen to study magic, they can show signs of magic as children.

Werewolves should look a lot more wolf-like in their werewolf form, with a more canine face, sharp claws and toenails, and hair covering their face and entire body in their natural hair color. In their regular form, they should be hairier than the average sim.

Fairies would only have wings in their Fairy form along with skin tone differences like markings along their face and hands and a generally waxy and unnatural appearance. They should also have the distinction of being in either the Seelie (Light Fairy) or Unseelie (Dark Fairy) Courts. In their regular form, their skin should look more perfect than average regardless of their age.

All Supernatural sims will shift into their true forms at a Supernatural Hangout or before feeding, if applicable. (Except for werewolves, who will turn during the full moon along with at a Supernatural Hangout)

Spirit Boards (Generic name for Ouija Boards) can be used by all sims child and older, but will vary in success depending on the Sim's traits and whether or not there is more than one sim using it. The results will be a lot more negative if only one sim is using it or there's a sim with a negative mood using it to the point that they can actually become possessed. (To keep the game rated T, that sim will just yell, wet themselves, throw things, float around, and insult every sim on the lot until the spirit leaves the body) Having at least one supernatural sim using the board will increase the chances something happens, but Young Adult Witches and older will outright refuse to use the board just like Supernatural Skeptics would. Teen Witches will increase something happening, but it will almost always be negative regardless of their alignment and personality. Child Witches can use the board as well, but they'll be so scared from what older witches have told them about their powers attracting evil spirits that they'd ask the other players to end the session early before anything is able to happen.

Sims should be able to go ghost hunting both with professional equipment (night vision camera, EVP recorder, etc) and unprofessional equipment (cell phone apps). They should have varying amounts of success with both video and voice recordings they can look over afterwards. Their chance of success will increase if they are around supernatural sims.
  • hellbunny123hellbunny123 Posts: 52 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Love it! :)

Thank you!!
    ZedFe wrote: »
    I think the Witch life state should open the sim up to all kinds of magic types, but not be required for magic itself. Human sims should still be able to be in tune with nature and magic, but their magic would only be able to be done in rituals and potions while Witches are free to do magic outside of those formats. The success of these rituals and potions should depend on their traits because the sim would need to be serious for it to work.

Supernatural sims should be a lot more secretive than they were in Sims 3. I liked the idea of vampires having a form they shifted into in the vampire pack, and I wish all life states had a similar type of form. Sims should not know that sim is supernatural unless they told them, the Perceptive trait is brought back and they have it, or if that sim changes into their true form.

Vampires would be largely the same, but more sim-like in their regular form. Even in their regular form, they will be slightly paler.

For Witches, their Supernatural form would usually just be into their robes and hat unless they're extremely good or evil. Really Good witches should glow a white aura around them, while bad witches should have green skin and an evil aura. In their regular forms, they should just look like regular sims. Even though a Witch must be a Teen to study magic, they can show signs of magic as children.

Werewolves should look a lot more wolf-like in their werewolf form, with a more canine face, sharp claws and toenails, and hair covering their face and entire body in their natural hair color. In their regular form, they should be hairier than the average sim.

Fairies would only have wings in their Fairy form along with skin tone differences like markings along their face and hands and a generally waxy and unnatural appearance. They should also have the distinction of being in either the Seelie (Light Fairy) or Unseelie (Dark Fairy) Courts. In their regular form, their skin should look more perfect than average regardless of their age.

All Supernatural sims will shift into their true forms at a Supernatural Hangout or before feeding, if applicable. (Except for werewolves, who will turn during the full moon along with at a Supernatural Hangout)

Spirit Boards (Generic name for Ouija Boards) can be used by all sims child and older, but will vary in success depending on the Sim's traits and whether or not there is more than one sim using it. The results will be a lot more negative if only one sim is using it or there's a sim with a negative mood using it to the point that they can actually become possessed. (To keep the game rated T, that sim will just yell, wet themselves, throw things, float around, and insult every sim on the lot until the spirit leaves the body) Having at least one supernatural sim using the board will increase the chances something happens, but Young Adult Witches and older will outright refuse to use the board just like Supernatural Skeptics would. Teen Witches will increase something happening, but it will almost always be negative regardless of their alignment and personality. Child Witches can use the board as well, but they'll be so scared from what older witches have told them about their powers attracting evil spirits that they'd ask the other players to end the session early before anything is able to happen.

Sims should be able to go ghost hunting both with professional equipment (night vision camera, EVP recorder, etc) and unprofessional equipment (cell phone apps). They should have varying amounts of success with both video and voice recordings they can look over afterwards. Their chance of success will increase if they are around supernatural sims.

Some awesome ideas in here! I would love to see more in-depth ghosts and ghostly powers like possession, as well as ghost hunters.
    #Team Occult
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited January 2018

I'm on the fence with this one, I think Humans should be able to do magic. It should just be more of a challenge for them to learn.
    For Example, My Sim-Parents Trent {Human}, and Julia {Sorceress}, they're going to get married, and I'm going to have Trent be curious about Magic. Intrigued, Julia is going to allow him to do a Few Spells. So in order for a Human to cast Spells, Enchantments, Potions, Curses etc I think they need to acquire another sorcerer's Spell book, which is only obtainable by a Sorcerer.

As for Success/Failure waits, to cast spells, It should rely on 3 Factors: Emotions, Needs, and Exercise, not traits.

Emotion: See how your emotions Impact influence your abilities.
    Most Powerful Emotions:
    Focused
    Energized
    Inspired
    Confident
    Happy
    Fine
    Playful
    Flirty
    Bored
    Uncomfortable
    Embarrassed
    Dazed
    Tense
    Sad
    Most Weakest Emotions

Notice Anger isn't on the List, Because a Sim Casting spells out of anger is both at their Powerful and their Vulnerable, One Mistake, and it can be a Fatal Mistake.

Needs: Magic is Energy, No Magic Meters, Your sim's ability to do Magic will feed off of Your Sim's Energy Gauge, So rest up, and eat well
    I think Sorcerers should just Have 2x More energy than a Human.

Exercise: Like most Sports, Singing, Dancing. Magic requires Practice, and if you decide to take a break from magic, for example 1 Simweek without Magic, You will find your spells will be weaker. Also I think the Spells your sims Exercise the most, Shall be the spells will autmoniously cast in Duals.
    Example My Sorcerer is well versed in Fire, Light and Dark Magic so when he fights those are the spells he'll use.

Meh, I know Vampires, Dark Form is optional. I just want it to be clear, Light Magic Can be used for Evil, and Dark Magic can be used for Good.
    So I just don't want every time I use a Dark Spell, my "Alignment" Shifts and I have to balance it out with Light Magic.

I think Werewolves Should Have More than 2 Forms
    By Default they have their Human and Werewolf form
    A Strength you can Unlock: Wolf Form, which adds a 3rd form, the ability to turn into a Actual Wolf, customizable in cas and Controllable by player.
    A Weakness you can Unlock: Beast From, Which is More of the Big Scary Ferocious, Werewolf form, However this form is more extreme.
    Wolf form and Beast Form Conflict.

And you can choose what your Supernatural Looks Like, For Fairies I think the Should change the Life State to Elven, where if the Player choses them to have wings, they are a Fairy; No wings they are an Elf.

... At Players will. Depends what the Player wants to happen I think if the Leader changes Forms, then everyone should change forms.

And Finally I think they should open the door for Magic Hunting, Hunt all Supernaturals

I know It's rated Teen, and You can't drop a werewolf with silver tipped arrow... but you can poison them with Wolfsbane, Mistletoe. A New Moon is the Best time to take down a werewolf. because their power is at their weakest to sense Their food has been poisoned.

"You know I never liked Vampires. They're like Human Sized Mosquitos... So what happens when a Vampire drinks the blood of a Sorcerer? The sorcerer is turned into a Human, and the Vampire Gains all their power. Fortunately for Me I killed mother-vampire, right as she gave birth to a Son. I've kept him alive and raised him for this special moment."
    -Kieron Dior{Hunter and Grandfather} to Aria Dior {Huntress and My exGirlfriend}, As they watched My character be fed upon by Daniel DuVal

Just saying Sims Medieval had Assassinations and It was rated Teen.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ZedFeZedFe Posts: 7 New Member
    > @MasonGamer said:
    > I'm on the fence with this one, I think Humans should be able to do magic. It should just be more of a challenge for them to learn.
    > For Example, My Sim-Parents Trent {Human}, and Julia {Sorceress}, they're going to get married, and I'm going to have Trent be curious about Magic. Intrigued, Julia is going to allow him to do a Few Spells. So in order for a Human to cast Spells, Enchantments, Potions, Curses etc I think they need to acquire another sorcerer's Spell book, which is only obtainable by a Sorcerer.
    >
    > As for Success/Failure waits, to cast spells, It should rely on 3 Factors: Emotions, Needs, and Exercise, not traits.

I don't think I've explained myself very well, but when I said Humans are limited to the format of their magic, I didn't say they were incapable of doing any magic. Their magic will just more closely resemble the rituals a pagan would do in real life with some visual and sound effects that show it worked before the actual result of the spell. Sure, this isn't going to be as freely magical as being a Witch, but it gives a sense of realism and allows the Supernatural to not detract the regular sims game, which was one of the complaints of the original Supernatural expansion pack. If there's no difference from being a Witch and a normal sim besides a few extra tomes to read, there's no point in including the life state at all.

A Sorcerer would actually be the way to do that being that they are usually defined as regular people learning magic rather than someone born with the innate ability, which is why I'm differentiating them from Witches. They should have to seek out an apprenticeship and the magic should be more untamed and unpredictable meaning that being a Sorcerer would provide challenging gameplay elements and more depth to the game. The ritual and potion-based natural magic of Humans should still be an option for players who want the challenge to mostly be gathering ingredients for potions and rituals instead of the challenge that being a sorcerer may become.

> @MasonGamer said:
    > I think Werewolves Should Have More than 2 Forms
    > By Default they have their Human and Werewolf form
    > A Strength you can Unlock: Wolf Form, which adds a 3rd form, the ability to turn into a Actual Wolf, customizable in cas and Controllable by player.
    > A Weakness you can Unlock: Beast From, Which is More of the Big Scary Ferocious, Werewolf form, However this form is more extreme.
    > Wolf form and Beast Form Conflict.

I want each Life State of sims to have their own individual forms of magic to make it as varied as possible. Maybe a werewolf's magic would be more sensitive to lunar phases and more focused on communication with animal spirits and shapeshifting, which would allow for the regular wolf form along with other possibilities.

> @MasonGamer said:
    > Needs: Magic is Energy, No Magic Meters, Your sim's ability to do Magic will feed off of Your Sim's Energy Gauge, So rest up, and eat well
    > I think Sorcerers should just Have 2x More energy than a Human.
    >
    > Exercise: Like most Sports, Singing, Dancing. Magic requires Practice, and if you decide to take a break from magic, for example 1 >Simweek without Magic, You will find your spells will be weaker. Also I think the Spells your sims Exercise the most, Shall be the spells >will autmoniously cast in Duals.

I think that would be a better idea both for the ability to study magic- which they would probably need to do for the rest of their lives rather than just in their youth- and provide an extra challenge of studying magic. Maybe a magic user would have a larger appetite due to the increased brain power from using spells and have special witchy meals that they could learn to make to fill up their hunger bar more efficiently. A magic school or Sorcery apprentice would serve the student these foods exclusively, but they'd need to learn how to make those foods to keep the same spell-learning ability they once had.

> @MasonGamer said:
    > Meh, I know Vampires, Dark Form is optional. I just want it to be clear, Light Magic Can be used for Evil, and Dark Magic can be used for Good.
    > So I just don't want every time I use a Dark Spell, my "Alignment" Shifts and I have to balance it out with Light Magic.

The Dark Form shouldn't have to be optional, and since the framework is already there, it could be used both to flesh out that life state further and flesh out others they could create.

In the Sims 2, if you used both good and bad spells, it would cause you to either go on one end in alignment or become more neutrally aligned. While it does hinder a player's ability of freedom somewhat, there isn't much of a reason why a Good Witch would use bad spells unless it was an absolute necessity. Otherwise, they wouldn't be a Good witch, they'd be Neutral. While I understand why it would be annoying, it poses a challenge that is lacking in typical gameplay. Unfortunately, the Sims series has strayed from challenges in most aspects of the game, and only brings them back arbitrarily. Having them is nice, and if a player has a clear characterization of a sim in mind, that sim probably won't stray from the alignment they want as a natural part of gameplay.

That being said, unintended consequences of Good and Evil spells would be really great in fleshing out the depth to magic. Spells should backfire on the user and give Evil consequences of Good Spells and Good consequences to Evil spells much like the wish on a genie. A Good spell to make two sims fall in love might create a very incompatible relationship where they essentially hate each other, while an Evil spell might wish for misfortune on a sim only to give them immortality by being Unlucky and get a bunch of donations from other sims feeling sorry for them.

> @MasonGamer said:
    > As for Success/Failure waits, to cast spells, It should rely on 3 Factors: Emotions, Needs, and Exercise, not traits.

The traits weren't going to be the only factor on a spell's success, but should be one of them. An Absentminded Witch is not going to be very effective at focusing on spells or potions and would need to be extra careful doing both, which would give the game more of a challenge. A sim who is naturally evil shouldn't be very good at Good spells or is more prone to having them come with negative side effects, and the opposite should be true with sims with traditionally good traits.

> @MasonGamer said:
    > And you can choose what your Supernatural Looks Like, For Fairies I think the Should change the Life State to Elven, where if the
    > Player choses them to have wings, they are a Fairy; No wings they are an Elf.

This would probably confuse players too much, especially if the wings were the only thing keeping Fairies and Elves separate. In folklore, Elves are Fairies but they have their own unique societies and abilities much like how Gnomes and Leprechauns are also considered fairies with their own unique differences. Categorizing them just on whether or not they have wings really dumbs them down too much, and a lot of players would find it redundant. I think it would be best to stick to standard winged fairies and flesh out their abilities and behavior to be unique to their lifestate, with an extra focus on how their strict culture affects their interactions with other sims of other life states. The only reason that I prefer their human form to be wingless is that they stick out like a sore thumb in a very bad way if they show up anywhere in the game outside of Moonlight Falls and worlds specifically catering to Supernatural sims. Having to reenable the expansion pack whenever I want Supernatural sims is too much of a chore. It could be explained that because they are magical beings, they are able to blend in with the humans by shifting into a form that resembles them, but their true form has wings.

> @MasonGamer said:
    > And Finally I think they should open the door for Magic Hunting, Hunt all Supernaturals
    >
    > I know It's rated Teen, and You can't drop a werewolf with silver tipped arrow... but you can poison them with Wolfsbane, Mistletoe. A New Moon is the Best time to take down a werewolf. because their power is at their weakest to sense Their food has been poisoned.
    >
    > "You know I never liked Vampires. They're like Human Sized Mosquitos... So what happens when a Vampire drinks the blood of a Sorcerer? The sorcerer is turned into a Human, and the Vampire Gains all their power. Fortunately for Me I killed mother-vampire, right as she gave birth to a Son. I've kept him alive and raised him for this special moment."
    > -Kieron Dior{Hunter and Grandfather} to Aria Dior {Huntress and My exGirlfriend}, As they watched My character be fed upon by Daniel DuVal
    >
    > Just saying Sims Medieval had Assassinations and It was rated Teen.

This would be a good deterrent for Supernatural sims being as openly supernatural in most sims worlds, and would explain why they shapeshift into humans. The hunters would be the few sims perceptive enough to tell their true nature, but they would need to get them alone or in sneaky ways like that or else other sims would react as if it was a regular murder. Remember, most sims have no idea supernatural sims exist, so a hunter would risk looking like a psychopath to a sim that isn't knowledgeable of the supernatural world.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary:

Providing a challenge to a supernatural experience would make it feel more engaging to players. The supernatural world should not have to spill into the regular world to the extent that you need to disenable and re-enable the expansion pack every time you want to play another family, and the effects of a secretive supernatural world adds more depth and mystery to it. Every life state should be unique in both how it performs and how it does magic, and regular sims should have some magical abilities as well but in a way that is believable from a storytelling standpoint.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Personally I don't really need a full on expansion actually I'd rather the expansion go to a more universal theme like seasons or university. Id be happy with witches as an inclusion like aliens were. I loved witches so much that I'm so pumped they may be added back especially with how well done aliens and vampires turned out to be.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Magic should come in a GP like vampires did so you can pick and choose what you want.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top