Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GIFT OF CREATION GAME *UPDATE!!*

Comments

• Options
    funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2017
    Jude525 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm away a couple days, and all this happens!

@funkeeferret I agree with the others, he looks great. And checking out a Real Life to Sims translation definitely requires bringing them out to the game. CAS doesn't give them enough angles to provide a real perspective. I found the same thing when I made James Spader. I was SOOOO much happier with him in game.

Not that I find anything wrong with your Elvis, but if you decide after seeing a Sim in game that you want to make refinements, remember you can use 'testingcheatsenabled' to bring a Sim back into CAS.

When the cat's away, @Jude525. ;)

I'm so glad to hear you liked your James Spader so much more in the game than in CAS. I spent a lot of time creating Elvis and in the end, I felt like I just wasn't seeing him in that Sim, but then once he moved into the house on the beach, I felt so much better. I found trying to create a real person in TS3 challenging. I found CAS to be pretty limited in many ways, but nothing will ever be perfect and I do like making Sims with no CC. CAS got the job done. :)

Funny you mentioned the cheat to get a sim back to CAS. I have been wanting to do that all week. Finally attempted it today. After sending about 5 sims back to CAS, every time I tried to save the game, it said there was an error. After 3 of these attempts to save, my game crashed to desk top. That has only happened to me one other time. I probably lost the changes I made but I did learn something. I have aging turned off in my game and I will never play with aging on, but back before I ever turned it off, some years ago, my young adult sims turned into adults, and I'm not liking that, so I wanted to turn them back to young adults.

So when I went back in the game, right after I aged down my guy with the cheat, he was standing there looking normal, slightly younger, and when he went to get changed for the day, he lost his hair and the outfits I had for him as an adult. So what I learned was to make sure I check all their outfits and hair when turning back the clocks on them while they're still in CAS. Will that work? I don't know. I have to fire up my game. The poor guy had to go on a date without his cool hair cut and was dressed in a hideous outfit, lol. Heck he even rolled his eyes when he walked out the door.

(Due to the constant freeze ups on my computer, I have to keep re-editing). Ugh!

I had a thought when you mentioned something about having multiple Elvis's (Elvisi?) Plopping like a half dozen of different quality and slightly different personalities into Lucky Palms! How appropriate would it be to bump into Elvis impersonators all over town? Is there a rhinestone jumpsuit in the game? If not, it may fall under the "necessary CC" list for me. Or, at the very least, create a pattern of rhinestones to apply to a shirt and pants set that would be a close match. I'm planning on playing with CAP soon since it really is a handy tool for a simple Photoshop technique. And I actually don't like many of the floor tiles.

I also really want to work on wallpapers, but I'm finding that is more complex. I understand the concepts, and can create any one of the layers in Photoshop. But assembling them into a usable TS3 file is stumping me. I need to find a more useful tutorial. I've found two, but both depended on pics hosted on Photobucket that are no longer available. *sigh* I guess I'm going to have to check YouTube. But I hate video tutorials for step by step processes.

Ok, enough whining. I'm still very glad to see people chatting here.

Yes, it would be hysterical having multiple Elvisi (LOL! love that one, Jude) walking the streets of Lucky Palms. I'm not sure if there is a rhinestone jumpsuit in the game, lol, my Elvis was young Elvis, so I didn't look for a bling suit, but yeah, a Lucky Palms Elvis would definitely need one.

I haven't delved into CAP. I'm still trying to figure out building houses and what's in the exp packs I have. Since you mentioned it, I don't like the floor/ wall tiles in the game.

I agree on video tutorials for all kinds of things - Sims, home repair, etc. What a process! You have to wade through a lot of "stuff" in order to find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Gosh sry this is so long. :0
    Post edited by funkeeferret on
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Entry number 2!! And here are the pics to this adorable little starter by @Envyfan. Nice job!

https://i.imgur.com/RA1Lias.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Aqh7hKp.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/pNgsEsG.jpg

ETA: Hmm, I thought if I copy/pasted it would show since I'm a member but nope. I should leave the techie stuff to Jude. :smiley: Anyway, now you can click on them.

Edit again: @Envyfan If you do the 'testingcheatsenabled true' cheat and then do 'hideheadlineeffects on' cheat, it will hide the plumbobs and thought bubbles.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Entry number 2!! And here are the pics to this adorable little starter by @Envyfan. Nice job!

https://i.imgur.com/RA1Lias.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Aqh7hKp.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/pNgsEsG.jpg

@Envyfan, I love your little house. You have such a knack for making houses look so cute and cozy... like a cottage in the woods or in a storybook. Your house is very sweet. :)

But I have to say that I got the biggest kick out of your second photo.
    Getting stuck in a rocking chair? Priceless! :D

• Options
    @funkeeferret You have good eyes, I didn't even notice that! Lol
  • Options
    @funkeeferret You have good eyes, I didn't even notice that! Lol

Lol, I kept imagining @Envyfan concentrating so hard on the house, the photos, the thought bubbles, the grass, that they may have missed that funny little thing themselves. I'm dying to know. Also, as a prospective buyer, @Envyfan, I would like to know if the man inside the rocking chair comes with the house. ;)

• Options
    EnvyfanEnvyfan Posts: 142 Member
    @ZeeGee thank you! i forgot about that cheat.

@funkeeferret i'm glad you like it! :D
    I'm probably a bit too critical when it comes to stuff i post, i do that with drawings too.
    hehe i was hoping someone would see him, i thought i was pretty funny. and unfortunately, he does not come with the house.
  • Options
    Pinkiesweets4Pinkiesweets4 Posts: 16 Member
    I love the house @Envyfan
  • Options
    AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited October 2017
    @funkeeferret Great presentation with Elvis! It's got me all shook up B)

@Envyfan Your starter home is charming with buckets of character! :hushed: You are really good at exteriors and the style would fit in so many worlds, love both the porches and the little half wall for the kitchen with it's woodwork, it's all very cosy :) The laundry items are a lovely surprise! :blush: I didn't expect them in a starter as the budget is tricky enough without all that :# Thank you very much........ though the sim left to hang up all the washing is less thankful ;)

I can confirm that the plot has textured grass and all the terrain paint :)

Just displaying Envyfan's pics of her lovely home
    RA1Lias.jpg
    Aqh7hKp.jpg
    pNgsEsG.jpg
  • Options
    @AlphaFen you like it! yay! i was worried that the house seemed too plan or the colours too bright.
    and thank you for letting me know about the grass, i did find out how to change it last night but i haven't checked if it's just my pc that's the issue

hmm i'm starting to think i shouldn't have used a vanity in the bedroom... oh well
  • Options
    AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    @Envyfan It's lovely don't worry! The roofing, the little green door that provides individuality and especially the vanity which gives it an old fashioned charm that fits the general ambience :) Not that I would let my sims be vain, they're only allowed to admire themselves in the mirror for 8 hours a day, like normal people :*

As to the grass, I confirm it's very grass like in all it's green grassy abundance ;)
  • Options
    Envyfan wrote: »

@funkeeferret i'm glad you like it! :D
    I'm probably a bit too critical when it comes to stuff i post, i do that with drawings too.
    hehe i was hoping someone would see him, i thought i was pretty funny. and unfortunately, he does not come with the house.

@Envyfan, I know exactly what you mean. I tend to obsess over some pretty small details when posting or taking pics of my Sims.
    I think it's our "creative" trait. ;)

• Options
    Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    First of all, @Envyfan I L*O*V*E this house! I also love the charm that the vanity brings to the bedroom, as well as the space you provide in the main living area. That is often lacking in starters, which usually barely have room for a loveseat and television OR bookshelf. Not always both.

The kitchen is small for my taste, but the layout, being open to the main living space, and having a back door really brings it up several notches for me. It's fully landscaped, which is a big plus. I often find myself placing starters into a new town and going into the lot to landscape, even though it isn't the house my Sim is living in.

Laundry: what to say. I have never played with laundry in game, but I never knew there was a clothes line option! That could literally be a game changer.

Finally, you angled the mailbox. A small touch, but one that I'm really fond of. All and all a wonderful build that I look forward to not only placing in my game, but Sim living in.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @ZeeGee Thanks for the props, but the only extra step is that instead of pasting the address directly into the main text box of your post, use the Image icon above it in edit mode and paste the https: address there. The plain text will look like this: (ignoring the *)

[img]https:/*/i.imgur.com/RA1Lias.jpg[/img]

Or, once you get the hang of it, you can just type the BBCode around the address. (Again, omitting any *)

[im*g] web address here [/im*g]

I've gotten in the habit of typing the code myself because sometimes the insert tool gets wonky and you start seeing the text [/img] randomly placed in your post.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    @Jude525 I'm really glad you like it!!!
    the clothes line is pretty neat, i just wish i found a better spot for it. (it looks funny where it is but i just couldn't find a better spot)
    and landscaping is probably my favorite part of decorating a house. i hated that i could barely do any on the last house!
  • Options
    @Jude525 Thanks. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Question: when you recolor things in the game like wallpaper, bedspread patterns, sofas, etc (not using CAP, just using the in game tool and not using any CC), put them in a house you built, and upload the house to the exchange, do those colors/patterns transfer through when you upload the house to the exchange or does the recipient end up with the default EA pattern/color? If anyone knows, Thank you!
    (This question is for the gift of creation game)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @funkeeferret They carry through. If you look at my 25 Cute Street build I tweaked the colors in the first floor bathroom heavily to match my childhood home. Similar to how tweaking skin tones and hair colors work on shared Sims. Otherwise the shades of James Spader's hair wouldn't have been shared properly. And I had spent quite some time tweaking them as well.

A little over a month ago I wouldn't have answered so confidently, but when I lost all my personal builds and had to download them from my EA Studio I got to see them the way others do.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I doubt there is a single build of mine that I have not done this on. Some more than others. Some rather extensively. ALL the tiles in my Romper Rec Playground WoW Edition are completely recolored. Along with the carousel itself, if I remember correctly. It's a large part of how I put my personal "stamp" on my builds.
    Post edited by Jude525 on
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    I rely heavily on the "SAVE DRAFT" button when writing posts because I pop back and forth between entries to check info, quotes, all sorts of things. Lately, every time I do I hear Katy Perry's song "Save as Draft."
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    edited October 2017
    @Jude525, thanks for the helpful reply. Like you, I seem to rely heavily on recoloring all kinds of things in my houses (once i discovered that I could lol). Now I know that the recolored things inside the houses will hitch along for the ride. :)

I checked out the builds that you mentioned and noticed the floor tiles in the Romper playground. What a handy tool this is! It looks like you had fun designing that playground and recoloring the carousel. A few months ago, I thought I didn't like most EA floors or walls, and it was frustrating, but once I learned about the recoloring/pattern changing tool, the sky opened up. It's actually pretty amazing what you can do with a tiled floor! Now all my builds are tweaked. :)

And you pointed out a very good reason to have a back up for your builds. I have to work on that.
    *edited for clarity

• Options
    @envyfan, I've talked about my 25 Cute Street build twice this morning and the fact that I will be releasing a 2.0 version to include the basement. With that release will be the laundry room. Now that I know about the clothesline the build will not be complete without it! Mom always had a clothesline. We always had a dryer as well, but with 8 kids, any way to save money was utilized.

I do remember a time when the dryer was broken, and I suppose the repair was waiting on the money to be available, because the line was strung up across the basement for wet days when hanging out wasn't an option. This was also the case at the summer house where we went years without a dryer. (It was a summer cottage, after all.) The indoor line was strung in the attic, were the temp easily exceeded 110°F.

(Sidenote: in my youngest years the washer in the basement was a tub unit

The summer house build, 4 Alice Street, is on the back burner until I find the proper lot for it. The house is on a steep grade, with the front door on street level and the back door out the basement. If anyone can suggest any address in any EA town for this I'd be very grateful. Especially if the back faces water as the real house does.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    edited October 2017

The summer house build, 4 Alice Street, is on the back burner until I find the proper lot for it. The house is on a steep grade, with the front door on street level and the back door out the basement. If anyone can suggest any address in any EA town for this I'd be very grateful. Especially if the back faces water as the real house does.

@Jude525, I'm not sure if this will help you, I don't own many worlds, but I was running out of space to build in Sunset Valley, so skipped over to Twinbrook to find an empty lot. I did find one, but didn't even realize, since I was in a hurry, that there was a slope next door.... like a fall off and kill yourself, kind of slope. There is water, but it was so gloomy when I was building, I didn't really see it.

Anyhow, since I'm in the process of hooking up a new computer, I don't know the address of this lot, but if you are looking at this drawing where the swamps are at the south end,
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sims/images/5/5f/Twinbrook_Overview.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160330215027
    if you drive across the white bridge at the southwest part of the map, and drive west, after stopping at Dunkin Donuts (just kidding, it just sounded like I was giving you actual driving directions, as if you were driving there yourself, for real, which we all know can't happen, this is just pretend, Sims aren't real... Sims aren't real..). anyhow, once you cross the white bridge and keep driving a bit, you will find yourself in a neighborhood that has houses and a slope. Like I said, I'm not sure if this will work for you at all, it doesn't look very much like a beach town, but who knows. There are other areas up north on the map that are elevated and might have views of the water. Your summer house project sounds like fun, even if on the back burner, but you might be able to find a much better location at some point.

To all reading, the house I'm building is for the Gift of Creation game. It's about half way completed, but there will be a delay due to switching to a new computer (unless I'm able to finish the house on the old computer). I'm really hoping to see additional entries. It's always fun to see what others are working on, don't you think?

*edited for clarity

• Options
    edited October 2017
    @funkeeferret ok, I'm off to Twinbrook to do some property hunting. Maybe a new HGTV show called "SIMply Marvelous Dream Homes?" Possibly hosted by a young James Spader. At the risk of sounding catty, he's kinda gone to bloat in recent years and doesn't do it for me anymore. The age thing isn't a factor. I'm older as well, and even when I was younger, men with some mileage could catch my eye.

EDIT: James Spader from Stargate, not Pretty in Pink
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    @funkeeferret ok, I'm off to Twinbrook to do some property hunting. Maybe a new HGTV show called "SIMply Marvelous Dream Homes?" Possibly hosted by a young James Spader. At the risk of sounding catty, he's kinda gone to bloat in recent years and doesn't do it for me anymore. The age thing isn't a factor. I'm older as well, and even when I was younger, men with some mileage could catch my eye.

EDIT: James Spader from Stargate, not Pretty in Pink

Yes, that sounds a hit show!
    Lol, not catty, just truthful and also amusing and entertaining. You must have the good sense of humor trait and and earned the never dull reward.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Sims aren't real... Sims aren't real..).

@funkeeferret Lol, keep telling yourself that. Maybe it will work :lol: But seriously I was thinking the same thing, that sounds like real directions. Until you threw the Donut shop in and then I wondered if I had missed an incredible build by some talented person.

@Jude525 That is such a good song! I loved spoiled rich kid James Spader in PIP, but I also loved nerdy James Spader in Stargate. I think the only JS I didn't like was the brown nose suck up in Mannekin. That guy can literally play ANYTHING. He is so underrated as an actor. But yeah, he sure lost his looks.

ETA: A lot of people like to throw shade at Katy Perry but I think she has an amazing voice.
  • Options
    Sims aren't real... Sims aren't real..).

@funkeeferret Lol, keep telling yourself that. Maybe it will work :lol: But seriously I was thinking the same thing, that sounds like real directions. Until you threw the Donut shop in and then I wondered if I had missed an incredible build by some talented person.

Now I have a taste for donuts.

Oh, @ZeeGee, but if they were real, just sayin'... IF.... think of the fun we'd have choosing which one we'd like to spend time with.
    Heck, that could be a thread of its own. "This is the Sim I'd most like to spend time with and here's why" ;)
    Ok, I think I'm going off the deep end here.

Well, bummer. Looks like I won't be hooking up the new computer today afterall...
    or tomorrow or the day after that. :(
    The computer arrived today damaged so looks like I will have to return it. Luckily I never got
    a chance to hook it up, since I saw the broken handle right away, (cracked all the way through)
    but it's disappointing not having a new computer right now after the anticipation.
    Oh well, it's always something, isn't it?
    I'm glad I at least have the new monitor to hook up to tide me over since that was purchased some place else.
    Good news is I will be
    able to work more on that house I'm making for the Gift of Creation Game without the delay of
    switching to a new computer and hopefully I can get
    the house ready to share some time this week. With the computer and game problems I've been having, everything
    takes so much longer, with all the freezing up and restarts. You have all been there, I know.
    It will be nice when I no longer have to bore you all with my computer complaints. Haha.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top