Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Good Morning and Happy Monday :)
    That means another chapter is ready to be shared.

Personal "Writes"
    After a day like this, Luke realizes that he needs to talk to the twins about personal rights and respecting them.
    Letter 15
  • Options
    SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    Loved the letter @ADWilson :) Hope you had a good weekend - ours was totally full and hectic, but we got a lot of necessary stuff done, like a big shop and a trip to the tip (two, actually) with a load of garden prunings that were filling up the garage. And my husband finished making his new workbench as well :D So I call that pretty productive. Didn't feature any simming though...
  • Options
    Thanks @SamelaRita :)
    Our weekend was busy, too. Took my car in on Saturday for an oil change and some minor upkeep (my car has 30,000 miles). Hubby's car went in on Sunday for an oil change and some minor upkeep that he kept pushing off (his has 175,000). He needs to have a wheel bearing replaced but they wanted too much $$$ so he is looking around & comparing prices. He hopes his car will last until December or Spring before he has to look for a new one. As you might be able to tell, we're not among those who change vehicles every 3-5 years.

It has been raining here every day for several weeks which makes mowing a challenge. He was able to get the front yard done this weekend but not the backyard. At least we have a fence that hides it so our neighbors don't have to see or complain about it.

Speaking of "complain" ...
    Yesterday morning, I ran an errand and when I returned home about a half hour later the road near my house looked like this:
    tree.jpg

The entire street was blocked (bothersome as it's used by many drivers to go between two busy residential roads) but I knew which nearby streets to use to get where I was going, thank goodness.

I reported it to the county, getting an automated email letting me know that a service representative would contact me shortly regarding this claim. Nothing yet. Fortunately, several work vans appeared a little while later and the sounds of chainsaws could be heard as they cut and then dragged it off the road onto the property where the tree was located leading me to believe the owner took care of it.

There are crews that go through and trim trees before the storms start arriving but they haven't reached our neighborhood yet. Hopefully they will soon.
  • Options
    I have a second chapter this week!

Point in the "Write" Direction
    Luke has come up with an idea regarding a current problem but misses using his twin as a sounding board and having her point him in the right direction.
    Letter 16
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Woot! I returned from my weekend away, which was awesome, to a couple more chapters to read! (Great chapters! I enjoyed them.)

It rained before the guys' caber tossing started, but we say lots of women attempt it and a few succeed. Then we spent a couple days and night in Sedona in a gorgeous home with great views, a pool & hot tub, and lots of outdoor patio space for painting, singing, and relaxing!

@SamelaRita - Failed attempts are worthy of shared moments and pics. I'd love to see the toddler family!

• Options
    Here you are, @ciane - the link to my (brief) account of my family!
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2018/07/toddler-not-quite-training.html
    Your weekend away sounds fantastic B)
  • Options
    That was awesome @SamelaRita! I think you lose a lot of time going up and downstairs, so I stick to a single floor design. I also prefer the open floor plan for ease of movement with more room for tots and parents to move around. However, your house is awesome and definitely reminiscent of Austria! We leave in a couple weeks for Germany. I can hardly believe that summer is almost over!

Is your container save still causing you grief?
  • Options
    That family must have kept you busy @SamelaRita ! Your house design is lovely and reminds me of the brief time we were in Austria. We've been twice to Germany. Hope your trip is a fun one, @ciane :)
  • Options
    @ciane Hope you have a lovely time away! My container save: the next chapter is almost finished, except that today when I went in game to take the last few pics, it crashed. And then we've had thunderstorms off and on ever since, so I've been off-line. I shall try again tomorrow...Our schools have only just finished for the summer - yesterday, where I live, Friday gone where my sister lives, so our summer holidays are only just starting.
    @ADWilson Thanks for the comment. Love the picture of your road...
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    I've started on the Yeovil renovation. I have to double check the special rules on that one. So many weeds all over the lot.

I've put the lot on legacy island 3 (populated), zeroed funds, because I had to use free real estate for the lot I wanted. Then sold the truck & hay bales, added a side door, and rearranged furniture. It's day one so renovations will kick in day 2 or later.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Finally - next chapter! Link here:
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-nice-quiet-life-chapter-6.html
    Time to go and listen to my husband and his day at work...always interesting!
  • Options
    What does your husband do, @SamelaRita, and what makes his days so interesting at work? ... I loved your story, as always, and am very curious to see where it goes from here!

I'm excited you'll soon be sharing pics and story with us here again, @Mmdrgntobldrgn. I've had to resort to some netflix movies! :smiley:

@ADWilson - You live in gorgeous scenery with awesome big trees! I particularly like how green it is there!
  • Options
    Me too, me too! I will try to wait patiently and see what the 3rd container means, @SamelaRita

Looking forward to seeing your take on the Yeovil renovation, @Mmdrgntobldrgn

Thanks, @ciane :) It looks this way pretty much year round (that's Florida for you!) and since we've been in this house (just over 27 years), we've seen quite a few changes to the neighborhood. Speaking of ... the fallen tree was removed the same day by the property owner and today there was a crew trimming many of their trees so the look in that direction won't be the same. At least we won't have to worry about any coming down when the storm season officially arrives.
  • Options
    First post is live, you may or may not need tissues handy. I found the renovation's voice.
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/yeovil-11
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn Love the voice!!!!!!! You and Addie both are telling such fantastic stories here - both so moving, and yet so different. Didn't quite need tissues, but it was a close-run thing...
  • Options
    Nice voice @Mmdrgntobldrgn :)
    Looking forward to see what happens next!
  • Options
    Loved the slant you took @Mmdrgntobldrgn! Nice twist!

On another note, Mama Dragon thinks she's knows where @SamelaRita is heading with her container story. Here's my guess:
    The crazy cat lady, with her cats, will be moving into the empty container that just appeared. Why? Because she has been mentioned by the writer a few times, and it would make the story VERY interesting!
  • Options
    @ciane, hmm, hadn't considered that angle. My suspicion relies on one of the end markers for the renovation challenges. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Well, the other option is...
    Marcello - the "spy" who possibly lives with his Grandmother and has to do what the Mayor tells him to do. And, that would be interesting story-telling as well.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    No story, but the latest quilt picture instead (proving that I have got something done!)
    [img][/img]wydm5J.jpg
    Plus some pictures of the abbey we visited yesterday.
    [img][/img]K11FC6.jpg
    [img][/img]HXzAUQ.jpg
    [img][/img]c9d0oo.jpg
  • Options
    @SamelaRita the quilt looks wonderful & the abbey is very inspirational.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    That's a great quilt with a really nice pattern to it! And, oh my, I expected the ruins to be more ruined than they are. That is an awesome place and I particularly like the water nearby and the that rounded gateway in the background of the last pic!
  • Options
    What a pretty quilt! Those are lovely pictures of the abbey ... such a peaceful place and the weather looks like it cooperated :)
  • Options
    Just a side note to say that I played your Kinder family. I started out with them as you created them and playing the first day had some tots potty trained after three visits to the potty.

So, the next day (for me), I restarted and changed one of the dad's traits from schmoozer to family-oriented (and I changed his shorts to pants so I knew that this was the altered family). I also changed the colors of the some of the children's clothes to match the colors I had used in the house I had been playing earlier in my toddler training challenge.

With two family-oriented parents, the potty training was completed the second time the tots are put on the potty chairs. So, potty training was completed easily on the first day rather than finishing up on the morning of the second! That was a real plus!

Also, I didn't wait until all the tots were walking and talking to take them to the library. So, by the end of the fourth day, all the tots were completely training and had read all the toddler skill books as well.

If I do the challenge again, I will include reading the Jimmy Sprocket books to the tots. However, since the toddlers don't have a bubble with those books and you never know when they finish reading them, (and since they don't add a skill, just increase the number of books read,) I basically ignored those books and just had the tots read them after finishing up the other skills and waiting to grow up.

In my games, I usual take toddlers to the library and have the parents read all the books to the toddlers because it is so much faster. When parents read the Jimmy Sprocket books to toddlers, they do actually finish reading one book and move on to the next. Why the action doesn't complete when toddlers read them, I have no idea!
  • Options
    @ciane You're amazing! I'm so impressed with the way you got them to such a high level so fast. I did a bit of library reading, but was still trying to get the basic skills done at the same time too, so the travel time was actually needed for the other stuff as well. I am in awe...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top