Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Packs Going Back To Only One New Gameplay Object?

Comments

• Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    people, it's not the gamerig animation, it's the level 4 dance animation from Get Together GP.

They are nice animation! it's a bummer that they have to recycle it, but imo Sims 4 has the best animation out of all Sims game, and one of the best in all PC games. Again and again, I really have to give mega kudos to Sims 4 animators. Since Spa Pack, the animation quality of Sims 4 has increased by a whooooop
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham - Does a Sim going back and forth on a swingset really eat up more animation budget than the multiple exaggerated animations of the rock wall?

Yep, it sure does. Same goes for lounge chairs. Same goes for picnic blankets. Those are all objects that would require different Sim "postures" - which are essentially the base pose that we animate Sims from while using an object. These objects are also ones where we'd want Sims to be able to multitask with socialization, and a new posture would require a ton of animation work to support socializing. While supporting multitasking with socializing would be the bulk of the work, there are some other animation issues we'd need to solve for swings specifically that take it out of the realm of things we'd consider in a Stuff Pack.

Was it really that complicated for Sims 3? The multi tasking appears to hold you back and that's not good. I hope Sims 5 gets rid of it then.

Oh I hope not, multitasking in my opinion was a great asset to the game. It makes the game feel more real life; also we don't even know if there is going to be a Sims 5.

Back on topic, I do wish there was a bike. While the new items look pretty cool...I feel like we have a ton of that stuff already.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Callum2000 wrote: »
    So the official trailer for the Fitness Stuff is out and there's only one new gameplay object again (the climbing wall) which to be honest, I was a little disappointed about. There is so much potential gameplay they could have included in a "fitness" pack. I know they don't have a large budget for SP's but in my opinion a climbing wall doesn't seem enough? The last SP also only had one new gameplay object and that pack actually ended up being my least favourite SP (I liked them all up until that point). I feel like the SP's are starting to go down hill again which is a shame because I think after Cook Kitchen they started to get really good.

To be fair, the climbing wall does seem to have a few different options but they seem unnecessary to me. Why spend the resources making a climbing wall that flips around and shoots out fire instead of using those resources to make a second gameplay object? I would have been perfectly happy and preferred it if the climbing wall was just a simple climbing wall your sims went up and down, and also have something like a bench press as another gameplay object. That's just my opinion on it though :)
    Not trying to invalidate your disappointment, but I don't get the point about "one gameplay object." I thought most SPs had one gameplay object?

In fact, let's go down the list:

Luxury Party: Drinking Fountain (1)
    Perfect Patio: Hot tub (1)
    Cool Kitchen: Ice cream maker (1)
    Spooky Stuff: Pumpkin Carving Station (1)
    Movie Hangout: Popcorn Maker (1)
    Romantic Garden: Wishing Well (1)... I feel like there was something else maybe? I forget
    Kids Room: Puppet Show (1) and Voidcritter Battle Station (1), so (2) total
    Backyard Stuff: Water slip 'n' slide (1)
    Vintage Glamour: Vanity Table (1)
    Bowling Night: Bowling Alley (1)
    Fitness Stuff: Climbing Wall (1)

So if I'm not mistaken, Kids Room Stuff is actually the only one that introduced more than one gameplay object?

I will say that a wider variety of fitness objects more appeals to me than an extremely detailed climbing/treadmill wall. But that is just my impression from the trailer. Perhaps it'll look more charming in gameplay vids and such.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    rochelimit wrote: »
    people, it's not the gamerig animation, it's the level 4 dance animation from Get Together GP.

They are nice animation! it's a bummer that they have to recycle it, but imo Sims 4 has the best animation out of all Sims game, and one of the best in all PC games. Again and again, I really have to give mega kudos to Sims 4 animators. Since Spa Pack, the animation quality of Sims 4 has increased by a whooooop

At :24 second mark that one should be the gamerig animation isn't it? I know the dancing one is definitely at the beginning. I personally don't mind the recycled animations. I don't even use the gamerig since it's pretty big so it's still pretty new to me. XD I mean, we have things like stretching, push ups, sit ups so I don't really know what more some would want want in terms of fitness animations honestly by television?

I like it though reminds me of the dancing/exercise things or what ZUMBA.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited June 2017
    LadyKyn wrote: »

At :24 second mark that one should be the gamerig animation isn't it? I know the dancing one is definitely at the beginning. I personally don't mind the recycled animations. I don't even use the gamerig since it's pretty big so it's still pretty new to me. XD I mean, we have things like stretching, push ups, sit ups so I don't really know what more some would want want in terms of fitness animations honestly by television?

I like it though reminds me of the dancing/exercise things or what ZUMBA.

Pretty much this is the only reason why I'd buy this! <3 My sims never really have time for the gym. Plus I get pretty bored in the gym lol. What's funny is even in rl I feel totally bored and unmotivated when I see a weight, tredmill, etc. I'm a dancer at heart lol. And it's the best way I've lost all of my baby weight lol. hopefully it'll help my sim who also don't have time for the gym :lol:

I'm still on the fence about it, but i'll consider getting it.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @Triplis wrote: »
    Romantic Garden: Wishing Well (1)... I feel like there was something else maybe? I forget

So if I'm not mistaken, Kids Room Stuff is actually the only one that introduced more than one gameplay object?

The debate over what counts as gameplay objects is silly. But by the most common definition (objects that Sims have new animation when using), your list is very incomplete.

Objects that are definitely gameplay objects (because they have new animation):
    Spooky Candy Bowl (Spooky Stuff)
    Park Fountain (Romantic Garden)
    Globe Bar (Vintage Glamour)
    Bird Feeder (Backyard Stuff)
    Drink Pitcher (Backyard Stuff)

Additionally, people may or may not consider those as gameplay objects:
    Buffet Table (no unique animation when using it but serve a similar purpose as a typical gameplay object)
    Movie Projector Screen (would definitely be one if you can't watch movies on the regular TVs)
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »
    The debate over what counts as gameplay objects is silly. But by the most common definition (objects that Sims have new animation when using), your list is very incomplete.

Objects that are definitely gameplay objects (because they have new animation):
    Spooky Candy Bowl (Spooky Stuff)
    Park Fountain (Romantic Garden)
    Globe Bar (Vintage Glamour)
    Bird Feeder (Backyard Stuff)
    Drink Pitcher (Backyard Stuff)

Additionally, people may or may not consider those as gameplay objects:
    Buffet Table (no unique animation when using it but serve a similar purpose as a typical gameplay object)
    Movie Projector Screen (would definitely be one if you can't watch movies on the regular TVs)
    Well if it's silly, why debate it at all? :tongue:

It seems to me if we're categorizing it by new animations, then if the "exercising in front of the tv" has any new animations, it counts as a gameplay object too, putting Fitness Stuff at 2.

I mean, I spose we could compare based on features, rather than actual objects. But then it's still probably going to average out to about the same.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

Pretty much this is the only reason why I'd buy this! <3 My sims never really have time for the gym. Plus I get pretty bored in the gym lol. What's funny is even in rl I feel totally bored and unmotivated when I see a weight, tredmill, etc. I'm a dancer at heart lol. And it's the best way I've lost all of my baby weight lol. hopefully it'll help my sim who also don't have time for the gym :lol:

I'm still on the fence about it, but i'll consider getting it.

Most of my sims don't have much space in their home and shoving a shoving a treadmill outside or trying to find a spot inside is a chore, so working out at the tv is great, since sims usually own a television, so that's already a plus. Then it looks like we have a protein drink or something in there too. Earbuds definitely sold me along with the modern furniture just YAS.

I'm so unmotivated when it comes to working out. Use to do it a lot inside, but MEH. Plus I have a bad knee so no working out for me. :(
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I have a bit of trepidation about the earbuds thing.
    Any item that lives in the inventory which provides more fun than an instrument is just asking for trouble.

The last time I remember Sims having a similar object was in TS2
    Not only did they constantly wear them, but they had this maddening habit of hanging out in front of the stove or fridge with them on.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    So the official trailer for the Fitness Stuff is out and there's only one new gameplay object again (the climbing wall) which to be honest, I was a little disappointed about. There is so much potential gameplay they could have included in a "fitness" pack. I know they don't have a large budget for SP's but in my opinion a climbing wall doesn't seem enough? The last SP also only had one new gameplay object and that pack actually ended up being my least favourite SP (I liked them all up until that point). I feel like the SP's are starting to go down hill again which is a shame because I think after Cook Kitchen they started to get really good.

To be fair, the climbing wall does seem to have a few different options but they seem unnecessary to me. Why spend the resources making a climbing wall that flips around and shoots out fire instead of using those resources to make a second gameplay object? I would have been perfectly happy and preferred it if the climbing wall was just a simple climbing wall your sims went up and down, and also have something like a bench press as another gameplay object. That's just my opinion on it though :)
    Not trying to invalidate your disappointment, but I don't get the point about "one gameplay object." I thought most SPs had one gameplay object?

I will say that a wider variety of fitness objects more appeals to me than an extremely detailed climbing/treadmill wall. But that is just my impression from the trailer. Perhaps it'll look more charming in gameplay vids and such.

This list is inaccurate, but I'm too tired right now to correct it, lol. I'm sure someone else will come to the rescue...
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

This list is inaccurate, but I'm too tired right now to correct it, lol. I'm sure someone else will come to the rescue...
    Don't worry, someone else already came to the rescue about my allegedly false representation of stuff packs. You can rest well knowing the world has been saved.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham - Does a Sim going back and forth on a swingset really eat up more animation budget than the multiple exaggerated animations of the rock wall?

Yep, it sure does. Same goes for lounge chairs. Same goes for picnic blankets. Those are all objects that would require different Sim "postures" - which are essentially the base pose that we animate Sims from while using an object. These objects are also ones where we'd want Sims to be able to multitask with socialization, and a new posture would require a ton of animation work to support socializing. While supporting multitasking with socializing would be the bulk of the work, there are some other animation issues we'd need to solve for swings specifically that take it out of the realm of things we'd consider in a Stuff Pack.

Wow Multitasking really limits the game. It's sad that base game content is now considered too hard. Maybe multitasking wasn't a good idea until you guys perfected it a bit better. Maybe you guys should've waited until TS5?

I'm very curious to know how pets will turn out with such limitations. Also explains why it is taking so long for it to come.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options

I swear this is soo weird! I just said these same things in several other threads, even down to the bench press! I promise I did not read your post till just now either. You made your post before I commented in the other threads by the way, so don't think I'm trying to say you're stealing my words or something like that. I just think it is really cool we think so much alike.

This is so cute. lol o:)

Thanks for the smiles @SparklePlumley <3
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Seems to me "Stuff Packs" used to have zero "game play" objects at twice the price.
    So where's the beef?

There is a loophole somewhere. EA isn't stupid, they are probably ripping us off more with this method than how they did with TS3/TS2. :D
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2017
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I have a bit of trepidation about the earbuds thing.
    Any item that lives in the inventory which provides more fun than an instrument is just asking for trouble.

The last time I remember Sims having a similar object was in TS2
    Not only did they constantly wear them, but they had this maddening habit of hanging out in front of the stove or fridge with them on.

Nah, we had an mp3 player in the Sims 3. If autonomy is enabled, it must be pretty low because my sims don't use it until directed.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited June 2017
    While the buy mode objects are nice , I won't be buying this. There is no need to make my sims work out when I can just "change sim" in the mirror and make them skinnier if I want to . I am looking forward to a stuff pack that is all about new "hairstyles" and clothing. Also a stuff pack solely for decorating homes.
  • Options
    While the buy mode objects are nice , I won't be buying this. There is no need to make my sims work out when I can just "change sim" in the mirror and make them skinnier if I want to . I am looking forward to a stuff pack that is all about new "hairstyles" and clothing. Also a stuff pack solely for decorating homes.

You can change the sim's weight in the mirror now? @BrownGamerGurl1
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

This is true. But I've noticed if you use the sliders in CAS for muscles for example, sims get buff but they don't get AS buff as if you were to also go back into gameplay mode and have them lift weights for a couple hours. Unless I'm doing something wrong, just what I observed.
  • Options
    Goodywood wrote: »

You can adjust their body a bit and totally change their skin color/hair/characteristics...it's pretty neat :)@Goodywood
  • Options

The dancing in this game is so neat and fun to watch! Omg. I love having dance competitions at the club too. I'm not even sure if you were being sarcastic or not though :D
  • Options
    Goodywood wrote: »

You can adjust their body a bit and totally change their skin color/hair/characteristics...it's pretty neat :)@Goodywood

I'm not sure I like that. Makes exercising pointless as you said.
  • Options
    I thought the mirror thing was only being able to go into CAS and you can only edit weight/muscle with cas.fulleditmode. Or did they add something more and I missed it?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    I thought the mirror thing was only being able to go into CAS and you can only edit weight/muscle with cas.fulleditmode. Or did they add something more and I missed it?

Yes you click on the mirror on fix sim or something like that and you can do just about anything - even change their name without a cheat now. They just added that. Not sure if it was the patch or the gp.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Yes you click on the mirror on fix sim or something like that and you can do just about anything - even change their name without a cheat now. They just added that. Not sure if it was the patch or the gp.
    Hmm. I just checked with a couple different mirrors in-game. Change Sim takes you into CAS. Looks like you can change most things, but I'm still not seeing weight/muscle as one of them. Not without cheats.
  • Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Is it really such a huge rip-off that some animations are being recycled for new smaller features? I understand the disappiontment, but I don't see how that makes the new feature (in this case workout tv channel) useless. These are good animations, and most of them are not base game so no, not everyone will be "paying for something they already have". They are also not animations we usually see very often, since they are higher level dance skill animations and so on. If they need to use some already existing animations to make a good variation of moves for this new workout method and at the same time stay within their SP budget, I'm honestly fine with it.