Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Packs Going Back To Only One New Gameplay Object?

123457...Next

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham - Does a Sim going back and forth on a swingset really eat up more animation budget than the multiple exaggerated animations of the rock wall?

Yep, it sure does. Same goes for lounge chairs. Same goes for picnic blankets. Those are all objects that would require different Sim "postures" - which are essentially the base pose that we animate Sims from while using an object. These objects are also ones where we'd want Sims to be able to multitask with socialization, and a new posture would require a ton of animation work to support socializing. While supporting multitasking with socializing would be the bulk of the work, there are some other animation issues we'd need to solve for swings specifically that take it out of the realm of things we'd consider in a Stuff Pack.

...Dude are you serious? That's the only reason we don't have swings and lounge chairs yet? Sims have been talking while swinging and lounging since TS2. Just reuse those animations if you really think being able to socialize on them is more important than having them..

You guys really don't have to waste your time making every single aspect of our Sims lives social. We have more than enough of that. It's okay to make some things without multitasking and socialization in mind. I promise
    rochelimit wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham These are some of the best animators in game industry

Okay, yes they're good. But let's not get crazy XD

I tend to disagree. If they can't add the social animations to these objects let the GamePack or Expansion Pack team add those. I want some hammocks regardless if they come in an sp,ep or gamepack.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm the only one, but to me I feel like sometime the stuff pack team struggle with their themes.

If I tell you fitness what are you thinking about?

Exercise machines and equipment, juicer, protein shakes and workout, things like that, you don't think climbing walls, climbing walls is an activity, a hobby, it's not a workout or exercise, and before some people say ''well it's hard to climb a wall, it's physical, and can keep you in shape if you do it everyday'', yea I know, but thing is how many people do you think climb everyday with the sole purpose to stay fit? None, that would be an expensive way to stay fit (more than a gym that's for sure). I did check for fun real fast, and it's about double the price it would cost you to subscribe to a gym. People climbing everyday do it for a living or do it cause it's their passion.

Even karate would have make more sense, people that want to stay fit, but don't like the traditional gym will usually turn toward things like karate, boxing, swimming, gymnastic, dance classes and sports like tennis, the kind of stuff that usually you will find in every town, you won't find a climbing walls center in every town, I did look it up and there's only 3 in my province, wanna know how many towns there is in my province? Well I don't know, but it sure as plum more than 3 lol (if I had to guess I'd say probably over 50 towns). xD

But ya I just feel like they tried TOO hard for something that could have be done much more simple, it's fitness, you don't need to think big, the climbing wall would have been good in a hobbies/activities pack along other hobbies and activities. So yea I'm not saying the climbing wall object was a bad idea, I just think the Fitness pack wasn't the pack for it.

Well because it is not your view of a Fitness club that people attend regularly - does not make it "not a fitness club", as I care to differ with you on that as just in my local area we have many such places and they are very much listed under fitness and health clubs - here are the 5 start Fitness centers just in my area - there are many others but these are the best ones with a 5 star rating and believe me lots of people engage in these centers - they are very popular because lots of people enjoy rock climbing and you very much need proper training and work outs in this activity to engage in actually rock climbing. Lots of states are known for Rock climbing as well as in countries around the world. To you maybe not - because you've never tried such a think but believe me it is a big work out in the gym and engaging in the real life activity with out these fitness clubs and school - this activity would be suicide. Funny though many people who go to these clubs are not even rock climbers - but find ordinary gyms boring so contrary to your belief they are very popular fitness centers.

Evo Rock & Fitness of Portland
    Salt Pump Climbing Company
    Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School
    Atlantic Climbing School
    Alpenglow Adventure Sports and Fitness Center
    Eastern Mountain Sports
    Indoor Ascent Fitness

I have friend that purely detested gyms and diets and workout equipment and then they found the rock climbing fitness centers and found out fitness can be fun - and whats more you get a better work out than any gym and orange juice out there - all the time having a ball. It is one of the considered New Age of fitness people are actually clamoring to now a days. The majority of people shun away from regular gyms because let's face it even for gym enthusiasts - it is boring so the most fit people, or those serious about fitness do look for alternative and fun ways to get better and faster results and what's more going to the gym is no longer a drudge but something you want to do - enjoy doing in centers like this, or other types of fitness centers do that do not involve standard exercise equipment.

Another real popular "Gyms" in my area also has no gym equipment at all - and involves dancing. Zumba is huge for fitness. People flock to these kinds of places. Gyms that you mentioned are old school...

Oh and the drink of choice for fitness now a days is pure water and raw veg juice - not fruit juices and protein shakes.

To add to your points about climbing facilities... DC where I'm from has 7 obvious entries (one of which is a not for profit YMCA). Also I noticed an Economist article recently that talked about the rise in climbing facilities in fitness center (in relation to free climbing, a rather more dangerous topic) and climbing (on an artificial wall) will make it's Olympic debut in the 2020 summer games.

Also any opportunities to light Sims on fire is appreciated.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    starcrunch wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm the only one, but to me I feel like sometime the stuff pack team struggle with their themes.

If I tell you fitness what are you thinking about?

Exercise machines and equipment, juicer, protein shakes and workout, things like that, you don't think climbing walls, climbing walls is an activity, a hobby, it's not a workout or exercise, and before some people say ''well it's hard to climb a wall, it's physical, and can keep you in shape if you do it everyday'', yea I know, but thing is how many people do you think climb everyday with the sole purpose to stay fit? None, that would be an expensive way to stay fit (more than a gym that's for sure). I did check for fun real fast, and it's about double the price it would cost you to subscribe to a gym. People climbing everyday do it for a living or do it cause it's their passion.

Even karate would have make more sense, people that want to stay fit, but don't like the traditional gym will usually turn toward things like karate, boxing, swimming, gymnastic, dance classes and sports like tennis, the kind of stuff that usually you will find in every town, you won't find a climbing walls center in every town, I did look it up and there's only 3 in my province, wanna know how many towns there is in my province? Well I don't know, but it sure as plum more than 3 lol (if I had to guess I'd say probably over 50 towns). xD

But ya I just feel like they tried TOO hard for something that could have be done much more simple, it's fitness, you don't need to think big, the climbing wall would have been good in a hobbies/activities pack along other hobbies and activities. So yea I'm not saying the climbing wall object was a bad idea, I just think the Fitness pack wasn't the pack for it.

Well because it is not your view of a Fitness club that people attend regularly - does not make it "not a fitness club", as I care to differ with you on that as just in my local area we have many such places and they are very much listed under fitness and health clubs - here are the 5 start Fitness centers just in my area - there are many others but these are the best ones with a 5 star rating and believe me lots of people engage in these centers - they are very popular because lots of people enjoy rock climbing and you very much need proper training and work outs in this activity to engage in actually rock climbing. Lots of states are known for Rock climbing as well as in countries around the world. To you maybe not - because you've never tried such a think but believe me it is a big work out in the gym and engaging in the real life activity with out these fitness clubs and school - this activity would be suicide. Funny though many people who go to these clubs are not even rock climbers - but find ordinary gyms boring so contrary to your belief they are very popular fitness centers.

Evo Rock & Fitness of Portland
    Salt Pump Climbing Company
    Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School
    Atlantic Climbing School
    Alpenglow Adventure Sports and Fitness Center
    Eastern Mountain Sports
    Indoor Ascent Fitness

I have friend that purely detested gyms and diets and workout equipment and then they found the rock climbing fitness centers and found out fitness can be fun - and whats more you get a better work out than any gym and orange juice out there - all the time having a ball. It is one of the considered New Age of fitness people are actually clamoring to now a days. The majority of people shun away from regular gyms because let's face it even for gym enthusiasts - it is boring so the most fit people, or those serious about fitness do look for alternative and fun ways to get better and faster results and what's more going to the gym is no longer a drudge but something you want to do - enjoy doing in centers like this, or other types of fitness centers do that do not involve standard exercise equipment.

Another real popular "Gyms" in my area also has no gym equipment at all - and involves dancing. Zumba is huge for fitness. People flock to these kinds of places. Gyms that you mentioned are old school...

Oh and the drink of choice for fitness now a days is pure water and raw veg juice - not fruit juices and protein shakes.

To add to your points about climbing facilities... DC where I'm from has 7 obvious entries (one of which is a not for profit YMCA). Also I noticed an Economist article recently that talked about the rise in climbing facilities in fitness center (in relation to free climbing, a rather more dangerous topic) and climbing (on an artificial wall) will make it's Olympic debut in the 2020 summer games.

Also any opportunities to light Sims on fire is appreciated.

Your last line made me laugh out loud and choke on my coffee. LOL!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the answer @SimGuruGraham - I can appreciate that and am now much less salty about the rock wall. :P

@DeservedCriticism - Working out with fitness videos isn't really comparable to the movies from Movie Hangout - it's not the stuff on the screen that's new gameplay, but the animation for the Sim working out. Watching a movie reused TV animations and relied on TS3 for the material on the films, whereas there's new animation like jumps and dance moves that come with working out with the TV. I'm actually impressed at how much new animation is in this stuff pack.

Is it?

Go watch the trailer again. The only people I saw watching TV and working out were using recycled dance animations, recycled animations from the Motion Gaming Rig, and maybe ONE slightly altered job animation. Honestly can't tell if that one was new or not. There's nothing new in what we were shown. To speculate they're "hiding" new animations is likewise ridiculous, because presumably if there's new content to show us, then of course they wanna show us. Why show us the recycled stuff and hide the supposed new ones? These very same trailers take special care to equip almost all sims with new clothing and hairstyles to show off as much as possible, but you mean to tell me these workout routines have been hidden from us as if they were nuclear launch codes or something...?

We're the customer. They want to make a sale, so they show us what they've got. When they don't show us, it probably means they don't want us to see. In this case, what we saw was recycled animations.

If you want to pay $10 for recycled animations and defend the idea this actually counts as a new animation, well...don't be surprised when future SPs continue to bleed out features.

OH MY GOSH JUST SERIOUSLY STOP.

Why do you get pleasure from sucking the life and excitement out of everyone? Why can't you let us have our opinions and our excitement? The Gurus obviously have limitations with SPs (heck even EPs have limitations) but they do a brilliant job and are obviously passionate and care about the game.

This SP looks FANTASTIC.

Have opinions about whether an animation is recycled when FACTUALLY it is?

Yeah dude, excuse me for trying to argue why you deserve better quality from a product. Look at me, real buzzkill trying to talk you out of spending $10 for content you already have.

If using existing animations for a new gameplay feature bothers you, you really must have hated The Sims 3.