Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    So, I know this doesn't start for another week, and even then we don't know our numbers yet, but @MiaSkywalker I think I just found what I want to try to build for you!! B)
    I hadn't realized it was so close to starting already. Looks like we'll have a smallish group this time, but a good size for this, I think. :)
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Would it be safe to say the numbers we already have are the round 1 orders, as in, I'll be building for Ciane first? If so do you mind if we get started a tad early on the first round? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Would it be safe to say the numbers we already have are the round 1 orders, as in, I'll be building for Ciane first? If so do you mind if we get started a tad early on the first round? :mrgreen:
    Yeeees, very likely. For the first round we'll be building for the person on the list below us, so that would be @ciane for you. The person at the bottom of the list starts with the person at the top. We'll go down the list until we reach our own name, then we stop. I figure that's the easiest way to keep track of everything. :)

If you want to start early, feel free. :) I would like it if we post pictures of our builds on this thread as we go, so everyone can watch our progress, so feel free to start posting when you start building. For one thing, that keeps it more interesting, and for another, it helps all of us learn from each other. Also, if run into any stumbling blocks you can ask for help or suggestions. I think I'll probably ask for landscaping suggestions as I build, since I'm very unimaginative in that department. :)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker sweet! <3

@ciane I started looking at modern style architecture yesterday. How would you feel about a modern scandinavian design? Very much the natural materials, very open and light.

Do you want a starter, a mid-range, or to-the-max house? :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @creativemetaphor - I love Scandinavian! Starters are my favorite, but very limited for a builder/designer (though playing them a bit to depreciate values helps). So, I'll say "small" - two to three bedrooms and a bath and a half or close to that. I'm thinking price should stay under $50k (for sure) and maybe closer to $30k. I am excited to see your build! I love the idea of it already!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Preferred styles for building: contemporary/modern
    Preferred styles for playing: I don't really have one, I tend to jump around a lot. :smile: If you really need somewhere to start, I especially like modern builds.

Hi @hannahc1023 - It's great to meet you.
    I went looking at modern floor plans and found this 3 bedroom:
    style_-_modern_house_plan_-_85130ms.jpg

If you think you might like this one, you can find the floor plan and sketches of the side and back as well here:
    https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/modern-build/

If not, let me know a bit more about what appeals to you and I'll keep looking for some more inspiration.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor - I love Scandinavian! Starters are my favorite, but very limited for a builder/designer (though playing them a bit to depreciate values helps). So, I'll say "small" - two to three bedrooms and a bath and a half or close to that. I'm thinking price should stay under $50k (for sure) and maybe closer to $30k. I am excited to see your build! I love the idea of it already!

Since this is meant to sort of stretch us a little, I might do a two-fer. Design a starter first, then expand on that starter into a more fully rounded home, where I design the starter specifically to be added onto while leaving the main design intact - the kitchen doesn't move to the other end of the house, for example.

One question I have for whomever - I've seen several pictures of sets in the store that show a bench on one side of a table and chairs on the other, but I've yet to successfully get sims to sit at a bench situated at a table. Is this possible or are the store pictures misleading me? Does it depend on the specific bench and/or table?

Examples:
    Thumbnail_688x336.jpg

Thumbnail_688x336.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    One question I have for whomever - I've seen several pictures of sets in the store that show a bench on one side of a table and chairs on the other, but I've yet to successfully get sims to sit at a bench situated at a table. Is this possible or are the store pictures misleading me? Does it depend on the specific bench and/or table?

Examples:
    I suspect they used MOO for the benches, and the two stools in the first picture won't do anything where they are. I've never actually TRIED to use a bench at a table, but because they are generally categorized as Sofas and - since Sofas won't work in that fashion - I don't think they would be a functional way to sit at a table.

The categorization that Sims has is limited in some ways. You also can't use a living room chair at a desk or table, even if they look like they should work. I've tried it before, and my Sims have always given me routing tantrums when I tell them to sit in the chair or use the computer on that desk.

You could always try it, and then just make sure that gets tested when you test the house. I make sure I playtest every item I place within anything I build, because otherwise you can get some very strange issues. (Like, arms bending backwards, if you use MOO and Alt to place certain skilling items.) I recommend playtesting every home, even if only to make sure every door is routable. :)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker
    I suspect they used MOO for the benches, and the two stools in the first picture won't do anything where they are. I've never actually TRIED to use a bench at a table, but because they are generally categorized as Sofas and - since Sofas won't work in that fashion - I don't think they would be a functional way to sit at a table.

That's what I suspected. I've tried it and it failed but I just wondered if I might have been doing something wrong. I wasn't sure if the store would deliberately show a set-up that wouldn't work but I guess they would :no_mouth: Thanks for the confirmation!
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Hi Hannahc. It's great to meet you.
    I went looking at modern floor plans and found this 3 bedroom:
    Oh my, that looks really complex! I'm betting it's going to look gorgeous when you're done, Ciane. :) That's exactly the kind of build I find impossible to do, although maybe I'll learn a bit how to do something like this by watching what you do. :)
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Hello_logo_sm.gif

@creativemetaphor ~ Building commercial instead of residential isn't my strong suit, but I'm excited to give this a try! Was originally planning to build in Aurora Skies, but Monte Vista kept tapping me on the shoulder so... I'm going to work on the MV school.

Inspiration is coming from this ...
    ItalianElemSchool_zpscszkj4pa.jpg
    ... but not sure how finished will look as this is a bit plain.

Wikipedia gave this bit of information ...
    Scuola primaria (primary school), also known as scuola elementare, is commonly preceded by three years of non-compulsory nursery school (or kindergarten, "asilo"). Scuola elementare lasts five years. Until middle school, the educational curriculum is the same for all pupils: although one can attend a private or state-funded school, the subjects studied are the same (with the exception of special schools for the blind or the hearing-impaired). The students are given a basic education in Italian, English, mathematics, natural sciences, history, geography, social studies, physical education and visual and musical arts.
    ... and am getting excited to portray these subjects as best as I can :)

The original lot is a 60x60 <= yikes, that's HUGE!
    It will certainly give plenty of space for a medium sized building and outdoor activities.

Does this appeal at all or do I need to go back to the research station?
  • Options
    @ADWilson That looks awesome! I love the description <3
  • Options
    @ADWilson That looks awesome! I love the description <3

Glad you like the idea :)
    Got some graphing to do so the building looks coordinated and not like a hodgepodge mess LOL ~ this is my first attempt at building without using a floor plan I found online. This is going to be a fun challenge/challenging fun!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @ADWilson That's awesome! I think we're all being well stretched on this first round! And if the 60x60 lot ends up being too big for your design, you can make it smaller, I have no problem adding/resizing lots in my worlds :)

@ciane I've got a preliminary design drawn up, I might rethink the whole starter-into-middle idea since the idea I have for the final isn't one I can easily see making into a starter... but we'll see how it turns out! Right now my only worry is for some reason my foundation basements in Aurora Skies like to fill up with water when I'm not looking... :angry: Will have to see if I can fix that to make the design work!
  • Options
    @hannahc1023 - I'm playing a random legacy right now, so I'll either wait until I know if you like the home I've picked out or this weekend to get started. I'll play my store free folder and set it to avoid the EPs and SPs you don't have.
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor ~ I agree and <3 that we're all going to be stretching our creative muscles. Part of my enjoyment in participating is learning to do new-to-me things or even look at my usual methods in a new way. Ideas are percolating as to what I can do with a lot that size and once I figure them out (graphically!) and get something going in game then WIP pictures will be forthcoming since getting your input will be help tailor this to better suit your needs/play style. Can't wait to collaborate further!

@ciane ~ Lovely design! Looking forward to seeing sneak peeks as you go :)
  • Options
    smashleecsmashleec Posts: 79 Member
    Ah this is really cool. Someone needs to set this up for sims4! <3
    My Stuff:
    Youtube
    Tumblr
    Origin Id: smashleesim
  • Options
    smashleec wrote: »
    Ah this is really cool. Someone needs to set this up for sims4! <3

Maybe you?

And, @ADWilson - I think the school you picked is pefect. The large lot would give you lots of options for playground equipment and maybe a track.
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Hi everyone *waves* I've been away from the sims for awhile doing other things, I had seen this a while ago but then I lost it again.

I was thinking of joining but it looks like everyone already has plans in the works and I don't want to be a last minute gatecrasher and mess everything up. I can't wait to see what you all make. Have fun :)
  • Options
    Kgaff wrote: »
    Hi everyone *waves* I've been away from the sims for awhile doing other things, I had seen this a while ago but then I lost it again.

I was thinking of joining but it looks like everyone already has plans in the works and I don't want to be a last minute gatecrasher and mess everything up. I can't wait to see what you all make. Have fun :)
    You could still join, and it wouldn't be a problem. The person in the last position hasn't started yet (or hasn't posted about it yet, at least), which means you could be popped in after her without a problem. :)

• Options
    @ADWilson - So, I've been thinking about what I want to do for you, and based on some of the things you said, I was thinking a starter cabin in Hidden Springs. You said that's one of your favorite worlds, and you also said you would like starters. Not that I think I can keep within a starter budget, but I will surely try. :)

Anyway, I think of HS as rather rustic, and there's a smallish empty lot (30x20 or 30x30, I think) off to one spot that I like. I was thinking a log cabin starter would fit that area well.

I have two inspirations on this, and I'm not sure which you would like best, or even if you'd rather I do something else.

The first one is this one:
    2qw3o20.jpg
    68fwvq.jpg

The second is this:
    29yjx9l.jpg
    fxwf3o.jpg
    The second might require CFE, particularly if I want to do the stilts part of it. The first could more easily be made small, although both are supposed to have similar square footage. I believe the first one goes back further, whereas the second is wider and not as deep. I might not make any kind of yard for either, as the idea would be that the inhabitants would be doing outdoorsy stuff all around. I COULD add a fishing pond anyway, as there might happen to be a small lake outside their house... just because. But only if I end up having room for it.

Do either of these look good to you? Or would you rather I try something else? I was also thinking a futuristic starter for Lunar Lakes, since that's one of your suggestions, but trying to find futuristic floor plans was extremely difficult, and I couldn't find any that I liked that I thought I could do. :(
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »

You could still join, and it wouldn't be a problem. The person in the last position hasn't started yet (or hasn't posted about it yet, at least), which means you could be popped in after her without a problem. :)

Okay then, let me get my entry form together and read through the rules again. I think I will be able to participate for the entire thing. Yay!!!
  • Options
    **waves**
    Hi @Kgaff :)

The more the merrier!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @MiaSkywalker ~ Oooh!!! I <3 cabins :) A futuristic starter for LL sounds neat but since no plans are around that you like, then please don't stress over it as I will be extremely happy with a cabin. Yes, I will!

The 2nd one calls more to me... mainly because it has more windows and what looks like a sun porch on the one side. The entry porch is nice too. However, if you prefer the 1st version then by all means build that one! I know you would make a beautiful cabin either way. If you think you want/need a little more wiggle room budget-wise, then I could (easily!) start with 2 sims instead of 1.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker ~ Oooh!!! I <3 cabins :) A futuristic starter for LL sounds neat but since no plans are around that you like, then please don't stress over it as I will be extremely happy with a cabin. Yes, I will!

Oh, when it's my turn to build for you, I'd LOVE to attempt a futuristic starter for LL for you. Yes, I would!

Oh, and I have that inspiration home I chose all laid out on graph paper, ready to build.
    Post edited by ciane on