Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    I'll look for that column, @Kgaff. I used the that first one (column de Mish) because of the block foundation "columns" under the posts. So I was matching the blocky brick. I had looked at that gothic column too.

I was working on the stable. I think I might need another height angled in there yet.

I've started adding some pet stuff. I'm not sure about the hay storage yet. There are some single bales stored in the hayloft too.

Wow! how did you do the angled roof on the barn! Is that CFE or did you use roofing?

That column I told you about is recolorable with several channels and you can still use the same brick you have now, I am just not fond of the Column de Mish, I guess because it was all I had to use for so long.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ciane I know. *shame* I knew better, and I did it anyway lol
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited February 2017
    @kgaff - That column you wanted sticks out over the porch edge, so I like this one better. If you still want me to change it to the other, I will.

screenshot-353.jpg

(Maybe I could put in your favorite and take a picture of that.)

An yeah, that barn roof is CFE. I used placefriezes on and put foundation on the end. Then I added wall with floor tile on top. Then I used CFE to level the wall on the end to the same height as the foundation. Then delete the foundation and replace it with wall. The roof gets all funky as you work back and forth, but you add tile out the side to help you level from one side to the other (just the end) and then level from that end down the side. I know that might not make perfect sense, but you just don't want to touch the tall walls in the middle and geek them up. (It will geek the ends until you level them again.)

So the height on the ends goes from foundation height to wall height in the same way that adding a garage to a home on a foundation does.

This was a bit more tricky because the parts I already had done kept messing up as I swapped out the foundation for wall and had to level it with the other side (thus crossing perfectly good walls and floors and making them all wonky.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited February 2017
    @ciane That one looks okay, more like the original picture. :) CFE makes my head spin :s
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @creativemetaphor ~ About to call it a night, but wanted to share the progress that was made today :)
    front of school
    Screenshot-187_zpszwe4cbin.jpg

garden
    Screenshot-188_zpscp7qgyso.jpg

playground
    Screenshot-187_zpsscqld4ka.jpg
    Screenshot-187_zpspgdze9uj.jpg

ticket booth & stand seating WITH announcer's booths
    Screenshot-189_zpsqcf53ikt.jpg
    Screenshot-190_zpsffzxwegw.jpg
    Screenshot-191_zpsxymqhify.jpg

overview of the inside of the bathrooms and athletes area (workout area and showers)
    Screenshot-188_zpsdbk5lwvs.jpg

As always, feedback is MUCH appreciated :)
    @ADWilson That is a work of pure beauty! I am blown away, truly! I love how you have team colors, I love the garden on the side, I love the planters, I love it all! <3
    edited February 2017
    @ciane Added the landscaping, a small garden off the kitchen sliding doors, and fussed with decor. With depreciation this comes down to just under 30,500. *phew*!

Here are plan view shots of the three floors and one overall of the lot. I'm thinking I'm going to name it "Himmel och Hav" which translates from Swedish as "Sky and Sea".

Any critiques, requests, changes, or just requests for more pictures?? lemme have em! lol
    Basement: sauna is added, bath is walled in but not finished, rest is open. If needed, the open room can be made into a second bedroom, or even divided up into two smaller rooms.
    1_zpsukfiuj4u.jpg

Main floor: nothing has been upgraded. The fireplace will probably catch fire, the toilet will clog, the sink will spring a leak. Let me know if you'd like all these things to be addressed or if you'd prefer to do them yourself.
    2_zpstzpabdxw.jpg

Bed loft: a bed. And a dresser. Also, a loft over the bath for storing things out of the way or showing off pretties. Mostly for additional lighting in the kitchen.
    3_zps7deeoqla.jpg

Lot overview: landscaped stairs which your Sim will probably never use, to a level area for a future parking spot if desired. s we discussed, a small garden area where you can indulge in fruits and vegetables but that can be tended easily without taking over your life. Or your Sim's life.
    4_zpsduqkmg8s.jpg
    edited to ad missing picture
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    That is a work of pure beauty! I am blown away, truly! I love how you have team colors, I love the garden on the side, I love the planters, I love it all! <3

Thank YOU for the lovely compliment! Was getting concerned that I'm going overboard on the team colors. Will definitely be using other colors inside the school building in addition to pops of team colors here and there.

Am hoping to finish furnishing within the next couple of days and then time to thoroughly test & take pictures... although at the rate I'm going you'll be seeing everything before I present the finished product. LOL
    @ciane :blush: Thank you!!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @ciane That one looks okay, more like the original picture. :) CFE makes my head spin :s
    Mine too! I saw that roof and wondered if it had been done with CFE as well. It has that barn shape to it, which I'm betting is going to look really nice once she's got the roof on and everything.

Ciane, I love your build for Kgaff so far. I'm going to try to learn how to do those walk-in basements like you made. I've read that tutorial, and someday (soon, although not for my current build) I'll have to follow it step by step to try to make one. I won't do the first one for anyone in the round robin, because whatever I do will probably just be a test run and not for anything in particular. Maybe I'll make a hobbit hole with it. :) But I know whatever I do I'll probably end up getting super frustrated at first, and I don't want to do that with someone's build.

I'm sorry, everyone, that I haven't been commenting for the last two days. I was working on something for a non-profit that my mother is involved with, and I wanted it finished by yesterday morning. I could have commented yesterday, but I was so exhausted that I was only on my computer long enough to read my emails. Ironically, I launched Sims 3, but I didn't actually play it. I was just too tired. Now, however, it's 2am and I'm awake (I went to bed at 6pm last night), so it's off to building I am! :D.
    edited February 2017
    ADWilson wrote: »
    That is a work of pure beauty! I am blown away, truly! I love how you have team colors, I love the garden on the side, I love the planters, I love it all! <3

Thank YOU for the lovely compliment! Was getting concerned that I'm going overboard on the team colors. Will definitely be using other colors inside the school building in addition to pops of team colors here and there.

Am hoping to finish furnishing within the next couple of days and then time to thoroughly test & take pictures... although at the rate I'm going you'll be seeing everything before I present the finished product. LOL
    I didn't think you went overboard on the colors at all. It's rather reasonable for a school to use their colors for various things. I remember my own high school using school colors for most things, even though we were a geek school and had no athletic teams. Frankly, I like your red and yellow better than our navy and yellow, although if I were personally making a school, I would probably be using purple and... purple. ;) (Just kidding, I would actually probably pair it with dark green. Purple and green go well together.)

I think your school is REALLY nice. It will look great in Monte Vista, or in a number of worlds, actually. I can see using a school rabbithole rug in a basement, or just using this as a community lot with the hangout type.

Btw, just thought I would clarify: It doesn't matter if we post everything early. If you finish early, and it feels complete, you can go ahead and post the full pictures and even the download link. Although the latter... I would probably hold off on uploading it until time, because chances are you'll want to tweak SOMETHING on it again! :D Isn't that always the way of it?
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    @ciane Added the landscaping, a small garden off the kitchen sliding doors, and fussed with decor. With depreciation this comes down to just under 30,500. *phew*!

Here are plan view shots of the three floors and one overall of the lot. I'm thinking I'm going to name it "Himmel och Hav" which translates from Swedish as "Sky and Sea".

Any critiques, requests, changes, or just requests for more pictures?? lemme have em! lol
    I don't remember if I've commented on your build yet. I really LOVE that futuristic kind of look like this; it would go great in either Oasis Landing (which I've yet to play) or Lunar Lakes (which I love). I wouldn't have thought of it as a Norwegian kind of thing, but I don't know too much about architecture, let alone European architecture. (Unless we're talking castles. THEN I can talk for hours!)

I can never build like this, just because I can never picture what to put where, and how to design the layers. I'm amazed at it being a starter... or close to it, at least. :) Not sure the 30k cost really qualifies as a "starter". But good enough, far as I'm concerned. Better than *coughs* the one I've been building, at least. :lol:
    edited February 2017
    @ADWilson:

A couple more opinions I would like from you.

First, of the following sofas, which would you prefer? I can't decide from the wood-and-leather look, the all leather look, and the wicker look. I'm thinking D might be a bit too elaborate, but it still has a leather look, so I don't want to disqualify it automatically. All of these could have a masculine look to them, although some seem more strongly so than others.
    28svmu9.jpg

Second, which of these two benches do you prefer? F was the original one I used, but I like G as well. The advantage G has is that it has a higher comfort rating. (Always a good thing!) But if your Sims don't actually sit in it much, the comfort rating won't matter so much.
    2hi8pas.jpg

I'm also thinking I might change the blues that I was using to greens. Or maybe I'll find a fabric type that is dual color (like you suggested earlier), and use blue with green. The green gives a more woodsy feel, although I don't really know how important that would be. After all, even when you're living out in the deep woods, nowadays you can bring in whatever pattern of fabric you want. :)

Btw, would you like me to help you make a werewolf Sim for this, since you were thinking that would fit well? If you'd like, you can make the Sim himself to whatever you like, then you could send me the file, and I could tweak the werewolf form until he looks as close to identical as possible. Then you could tweak the werewolf form to have whatever specific differences you want. That way the werewolf form won't have that ugly squished face. I won't actually upload mine; I would email it to you as an exported file, and you could email me the exported file from your game, too.

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread, originally. How embarrassing! :blush:
    @ADWilson:

More comparisons for you. :)
    First, the original, for comparison.
    103sio2.jpg

I'm also changing the drapes to match the bedspreads. I am not changing the lower bunk as well, but I just wanted to see how the curtains worked with a matching color. (Although the curtains don't HAVE to be set up as an exact match for the beds.)
    25q3wwh.jpg
    34ezy3d.jpg
    2yltowi.jpg
    1z6hdt.jpg

I don't really like the curtains with any of the up-and-down patterns; I just didn't think they looked right. So we might have the curtains remain a solid color that matches one of the colors on the bedspread instead. The across pattern looked OK on the curtains, but didn't really follow the flow of them right. That's actually the problem I saw with any of the non-solid problems on this particular set of curtains; the texturing is set up in a way that anything non-solid won't flow properly. (That means the texturing wasn't REALLY set up right. I've worked with 3D imaging programs, and I know how difficult the texturing setup can get.)
    edited February 2017
    Ok, some more pictures of my build. I'm working on landscaping right now, but I'm not very comfortable with it. Particularly since I most definitely do NOT want to block off the water from fishing. I'm trying to make it look a little haphazard, though. I'm figuring that unless your werewolf is OCD, he probably doesn't care too much about what plants look like. :)
    a32m2b.jpg
    2cp3n8y.jpg
    11cfbpe.jpg
    35a80n8.jpg
    2nu3abq.jpg
    10dfklz.jpg
    2lc77zm.jpg

Please ignore the sofas sitting on the front lawn. :) I just have no place to put them, but I don't want to have to try to figure out where I found them.

A few things I changed: I finished the bathrooms (I will probably change the tile pattern and/or colors, but wanted something in there to remind me); I added a covered walkway/bridge to the back yard area; I added a small outside building for a distillery; I added landscaping around (and in) the pond; I created a small "natural cave" under the tiny shack in the back, and have a ladder going up, so you'll have a place to put wine racks when/if you decide to make nectar.

I will NOT, btw, be adding any fishing spawners. Couple of reasons for that. First and foremost is the fact that if you have to turn the lot, the spawners duplicate every time. The second is that this way you can add whichever spawners you want. You want him to fish frogs? You can add the France pond spawner. You want salt water fish? Feel free, it's your pond. :)

Someone here (I don't remember who) mentioned that she never uses the roof pieces, like the skylights. The trick with them is that the skylight pieces are all exactly 3x3, so you have to design your house size accordingly, and with the greenhouse pieces, you have to make your roof a multiple of six in width, and a multiple of three in length.

There are several other things you need to keep in mind with them, however. One irritating bug with them is that they won't appear when you look at the house in neighborhood mode. You'll see a flat roof there, assuming you put a floor there before placing the pieces. The second is that you NEED to place a floor there, or your Sims will get rained/snowed on during weather. That's because the roof pieces count only as a DECORATION, and do not function as an actual roof, and therefore can't protect your Sims or their home.

More questions for you:
    1. Are there any colors you prefer above others? What I mean is, if I add a few (more) flowers around the house, are there particular colors you prefer? If, for instance, you like red best, I can add a few red flowers here and there. I do want to make it look wild and un-maintained, but that doesn't have to mean that some flowers couldn't have sprung up there. :)
    2. Do you have preferences on what rugs I should use? Right now I'm using the tiny simplest rug and layering them, sort of, to make them look like they're bigger than they are. (And to give them different shapes.) I have seen some people do some neat things with rugs that look haphazard, but I've never done that before. If I do that, do you have preferences on rugs/patterns? Or should I just play around with things? (If you want me to do something like that, that is.)

I made a simple tute with pics here for the walkout basement. Maybe it will help. I also added instructions on how to make a barn in much better way than I did (as I only thought of it afterwards, so I have no pics for that right now).
    edited February 2017
    @MiaSkywalker Welcome back :)
    I don't remember if I've commented on your build yet. I really LOVE that futuristic kind of look like this; it would go great in either Oasis Landing (which I've yet to play) or Lunar Lakes (which I love). I wouldn't have thought of it as a Norwegian kind of thing, but I don't know too much about architecture, let alone European architecture. (Unless we're talking castles. THEN I can talk for hours!)

I can never build like this, just because I can never picture what to put where, and how to design the layers. I'm amazed at it being a starter... or close to it, at least. :) Not sure the 30k cost really qualifies as a "starter". But good enough, far as I'm concerned. Better than *coughs* the one I've been building, at least. :lol:

If I hadn't been going for a very specific aesthetic for this build I probably could have wrangled it into a starter (especially if it was a starter for 3 or 4). But because I really wanted it to feel Scandinavian inside I did make some expensive furniture and decorating choices that fit that theme. There is a modern Nordic architecture style that really has the sleek, kind of sparse look to it that I find very appealing on some level.

I'm not sure I could have come up with the house on my own at all! (Thank you Google!) I really leaned heavily on that inspiration picture for where to add the layers and the overhangs :) I am finding that while I wouldn't want to *live* in one of these modern style homes, I actually enjoy building them and rather appreciate the aesthetic they present. I do have another Scandinavian style home I built a while back that was a mix of more traditional designs with some modern upgrades inside, maybe I'll show that one off in my thread :)
    @MiaSkywalker ~ Nice progress! Enjoying seeing all the pictures and seeing what you've been thinking/up to :)

Couch: While D is nice, I prefer B or C

Bench: F, wicker seems like a flimsy material for a manly were ;)

Thank you for your offer of co-creating the were. Sounds like fun! Will look into doing that after finishing this first build... I don't know about anyone else, but I take a long time creating sims (especially their outfits) and don't want to get sidetracked.

Bunk Beds: Am partial to the 3rd picture (solid green, not the brighter shade one). Looking over the patterns vs solid color curtains, I prefer solid color after all. Maybe a plaid would be nice on a different curtain, but I don't think it would suit this style at all.

<3 the landscaping!!! Don't mind the randomness of the plants, rocks, etc at all.

Not a problem with no fish spawners. I have heard about the duplicating issues and wouldn't want to mess with that while setting this woodland beauty in place.

Great ideas galore!!! Fabulous covered walkway/bridge and a natural wine cellar sounds terrific too.

Flowers: Funny that you mention red! I was looking at your images and thinking that the yellow needed something like pops of red, maybe orange to add a bit of extra interest.

Rugs: I have a bad habit of using the same ones over & over so encourage your using any that you want to play around with! I'm also the same with repeating certain patterns so... use what you want and 'break my mold'. :)
    Ok fellow builders!! This isn't a build question as such, more a game question, but I figured y'all'd know the answer. I just spent like 2 hours saving all these recolored/patterened wall, floor, and objects and put them all into a collection. When I came back (after a restart)... gone. all gone. ALL GONE!!! :'( What did I do wrong?
    sorry @creativemetaphor, I have never made a collection before. The only thing I know about saving recolors is that you have save AND accept. There are two steps to the process.
    Ok fellow builders!! This isn't a build question as such, more a game question, but I figured y'all'd know the answer. I just spent like 2 hours saving all these recolored/patterened wall, floor, and objects and put them all into a collection. When I came back (after a restart)... gone. all gone. ALL GONE!!! :'( What did I do wrong?
    If your game crashes, you'll lose any presets you made during your session, even if you've made saves, because the UserPresets file doesn't get written to until the game shuts down properly.

I've never tried to create a collection of patterns; didn't even know that was possible. So I have no idea what went wrong there.

Note: The rule about 'delete all your cache files before you start a new game session' does NOT apply to the UserPresets file or the Social cache file. Deleting those two will cause you various problems, so I recommend saving backups of both on occasion.
    edited February 2017
    *bashes head on desk* Yep, it crashed. Well... (%$*

But at least now I know what went wrong! Okay, I'll try again with a proper shut-down and see if that works! (for me, crashes are practically my normal mode of shut-down anymore! :lol: )

On the plus side, at least the saves kept the actual build so I can resave the patterns!
    edited February 2017
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker ~ Nice progress! Enjoying seeing all the pictures and seeing what you've been thinking/up to :)

Couch: While D is nice, I prefer B or C

Bench: F, wicker seems like a flimsy material for a manly were ;)
    Ok, the leather look, then. Gotcha.

I agree with you on the wicker. I *like* the wicker, but it does seem more feminine/androgynous than strongly male.

And besides, that wolfie would just tear into it when he's running around baying at the moon. Never mix dogs and wicker. :)
    Thank you for your offer of co-creating the were. Sounds like fun! Will look into doing that after finishing this first build... I don't know about anyone else, but I take a long time creating sims (especially their outfits) and don't want to get sidetracked.
    Yeah, I'm picky about the outfits, too. Sometimes for townies I get lazy, and give them the same clothing for multiple outfits. But when I'm working on my OWN Sims (or ones that I'm uploading), every outfit needs to be different. And I rarely use default textures, because EA usually selects boring plasticky ones that just don't look right.

He would definitely be a side thing, that you and I could work on at our leisure. :)
    Bunk Beds: Am partial to the 3rd picture (solid green, not the brighter shade one). Looking over the patterns vs solid color curtains, I prefer solid color after all. Maybe a plaid would be nice on a different curtain, but I don't think it would suit this style at all.
    Actually... that one isn't a solid color, ironically enough. It LOOKS solid from a distance, but up close you see that it's very thin lines of varying widths and lengths going across. I mixed a blue and a green in it, and it has a nice effect. :)
    @creativemetaphor ~ Sorry there aren't any pictures to show further progress :(
    Creative muse has been tapping my shoulder! So... thank YOU for making me step away from a residential build. Been working steadily on this each day & made quite a bit of progress... even with many ideas spinning around LOL

Here's a list on what's going on...

Outside:
    Faux track and field with tiered stand seating & announcer booths ~ DONE :)
    Concession stand and eating area (used the food register from WA) ~ DONE :)
    Sports complex building ~ bathrooms, workout and showers ~ DONE :)
    School garden ~ DONE :)
    Playground ~ DONE :)

Inside the building:
    Basement with rabbit hole school (used one from bin so it could easily fit on lot) ~ DONE :)
    Reception ~ DONE :)
    Principal's Office ~ DONE :)
    Boys and Girls Bathrooms ~ DONE :)
    Cafeteria with stage at one end for lectures and plays ~ DONE :)
    School Kitchen (behind it are staff bathrooms & laundry) ~ DONE :)
    2 generic classrooms ~ 1 DONE, 1 PENDING
    Music classroom ~ DONE :)
    Art classroom ~ PENDING
    Science classroom ~ DONE :)
    History classroom ~ PENDING <= going to browse buydebug and see what I am can come up with
    Geography classroom ~ PENDING <= buydebug here as well
    Library/Computer Lab ~ PENDING
    Big Open Space on the 2nd floor ~ NEED IDEA ON WHAT TO DO WITH IT!

Each classroom holds 12 students & 1 teacher
    The lunchroom area can fit 3 classrooms

The big open space measures 8x8. Anything you'd like to see in the school that I haven't covered? Maybe a 'workshop' with inventing and sculpting... maybe a science lab with brain machine and research station? This space is outside the art classroom and geography classroom on the 2nd floor in case you need a 'visual'.