Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the sims 4 expasnion packs are smaller than in sims 3?!

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,359 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Sigzy05 Sorry, I compared the Downtown EP, not the Apartment/Penthouse EP.

My conclusion is there are still 3-4 major features like the previous games, TS4 isn't smaller.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    I'm not sure if they're bigger but I never really liked most Sims 3 expansions. Alot of them were very rushed and the content albiet there lacked the best though was Seasons which was faultless but I can't really say that for the rest. Nobody really asked for Showtime or The Future ep and some of the others were just unplayable like Island Paradise which is still horribly laggy. Not too mention how useless some features are because they just don't work well like the party scene in Bridgeport (btw I still can't get bands to work properly). Plus Sims 4 only has two ep's and one more to be released so it's not fair to judge the quality of ep's in comparison to Sims 3 and hey the could be worse or maybe better.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,359 Member
    edited September 2016
    I think the right question is: Is TS4 game experience shorter than TS3 ?

The problem remains the same from the beginning. Without Create-A-Style, a major feature which extended all the packs,
    the players can customize a very short list of things in the game compared to TS3.

TS4 EPs are not smaller but they are less customizable, the fun is limited by The Sims Studio's creativity when it was limited by the player's creativity in TS3.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    @luthienrising Oh ok, thanks. Also thank you for making that post :smile:
  • Options
    HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    Well, yes. But Sims 3 had some useless EPs too like Into the Future, Showtime and World Adventures.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Some EPs are bigger than others, some smaller but that's to be expected really - Generations was a rather small pack whilst World Adventures was rather big for an example.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    No, my impressions are different. The only huge ep I can think of was Island Paradise. The rest provided less content (maybe not necessarily by numbers but by the experience it provided). Generations was a bad joke. The scripted events were fun and a very good idea but overall by far the worst dlc I've every seen in any game (for the cost).

Lmao, generations have added a lot more gameplay than the sims 4 has ever such as strollers, wedding gifts, camera recorders, bachorlette parties and pranks. The sims 4 only adds objects and very little gameplay with the expansions. For apartments, its just basically another lot that is same as a house but looks like an apartment, nothing amazing.

Care to provide your comparison data?
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't actively count the content? Am I the only one who judges an EP by how much fun I have with it? As for IP for Sims3, it was rather buggy. My game just last week was stuttering horribly, so the next time I played I unticked that EP. Game ran far more smoothly after that. :open_mouth:

As for the EPs, et al, so far in Sims4, I am enjoying them. I use what interest me and what helps me further my Sim family along. I have to say I have little interest in Apartments. Hated living in one, after the novelty ran out, that is. I grew up in houses, being the second child in the family. In the game apartments tend to be far too cramped for me. I like to be able to get the camera in without having to rotate to get obstacles out of the way of the lens (so to speak). I like being able to SEE what's going on. So, I'm far more intrigued with what's being brought back into this iteration with this EP, as described already via the latest trailer.

Yes, I tried having Sims live in the fancy apartments in Bridgeport, but again, the camera was defeated in large respect and so that grew to annoy me.

In the long run, it's all in the game-playing satisfaction to me, not how much content it brings.

I'm the same way. TS3 for me is glitch heavy that it makes playing the game unenjoyable. I've liked ts4. There are definitely things I want that aren't in the game (toddlers) but I've enjoyed all the developers have basically opened up most of the rabbit holes from TS3 and made them active. I'm looking forward to CL. Different strokes for different folks. And that's OK. Facts should be debated, not opinions
  • Options
    nbgangelovanbgangelova Posts: 194 Member
    Honestly, the quality in expansion and stuff packs in the Sims games has gone downhill since The Sims 2. A lot of what we get now is fluff that barely changes game play. Honestly, the mods people make are starting to look better than actual expansion packs.
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited September 2016
    well then indeed that yo guys sot into a fight but lets all agree that you cant compare sims 3 eps to sims 4 latenight,supernatural,seasons,universitylife,seasons and just a few of the amazing big packs they are about twice the size of a sims 4 ep! but supernatural! bieng the biggest
  • Options
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't actively count the content? Am I the only one who judges an EP by how much fun I have with it? As for IP for Sims3, it was rather buggy. My game just last week was stuttering horribly, so the next time I played I unticked that EP. Game ran far more smoothly after that. :open_mouth:

As for the EPs, et al, so far in Sims4, I am enjoying them. I use what interest me and what helps me further my Sim family along. I have to say I have little interest in Apartments. Hated living in one, after the novelty ran out, that is. I grew up in houses, being the second child in the family. In the game apartments tend to be far too cramped for me. I like to be able to get the camera in without having to rotate to get obstacles out of the way of the lens (so to speak). I like being able to SEE what's going on. So, I'm far more intrigued with what's being brought back into this iteration with this EP, as described already via the latest trailer.

Yes, I tried having Sims live in the fancy apartments in Bridgeport, but again, the camera was defeated in large respect and so that grew to annoy me.

In the long run, it's all in the game-playing satisfaction to me, not how much content it brings.

I'm the same way. TS3 for me is glitch heavy that it makes playing the game unenjoyable. I've liked ts4. There are definitely things I want that aren't in the game (toddlers) but I've enjoyed all the developers have basically opened up most of the rabbit holes from TS3 and made them active. I'm looking forward to CL. Different strokes for different folks. And that's OK. Facts should be debated, not opinions

i own all eps and almost have all store content and i play on almost maxed out settings in my pc with no lag! i have a gtx 1070 my game never lags sims 3 and sims 4! runs like a charm! if you need help refer to the technical disscussion of the furoms!
  • Options
    Well, yes. But Sims 3 had some useless EPs too like Into the Future, Showtime and World Adventures.

World Adventures was an underrated game though :(
  • Options
    edited September 2016

i dont agree with world adventures and into the futurel althought it was really usless packs you mentioned wa fueatred 3 different worlds your sims can visit into the future featured a world your sims can live in plumbots 3 new skills if i a sure items that are fablous! :D i just i love all sims 3 ep! :) anyways i have to go to school bye i am enjoying this right now thouht :)
  • Options
    adamzaid wrote: »
    well then indeed that yo guys sot into a fight but lets all agree that you cant compare sims 3 eps to sims 4 latenight,supernatural,seasons,universitylife,seasons and just a few of the amazing big packs they are about twice the size of a sims 4 ep! but supernatural! bieng the biggest

Seasons, University and Supernatural all got realeased in the last half of Sims 3 so it's not a fair comparison, so yes you can't compare 3 & 4 since that wouldn't be a fair comparison.

P.S Please double check your comment you put Seasons twice.
  • Options
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Maybe they feel smaller because the worlds are smaller? Otherwise they pretty much feel the same to me.

I didn't really get into TS3, but from what I do remember the EP Showtime felt pretty lacklustre in terms of gameplay. Not a worthy Superstar successor in my eyes.

I have been saying so much since the sims 4 launch that the expansion packs with this game are smaller.

And each one now it seems both with this pack and the others (get to work/together) we have had

1 Restrictions
    2 Less tools and options
    3 smaller worlds (neighbours hoods)
    4 less interactions
    5 less in life states
    6 less in each of the themes remakes
    1. Every Pack has it's restriction from The Sims to The Sims 4.
    2. How so?
    3. True, but at least you can travel between them quick and easy.
    4. I don't know, they seem pretty much the same amount to me, with The Sims 4 sometimes adding Emotional variants.
    5. That's true, I hope we get more Life States soon!
    6. I don't think they're trying to 'remake' a theme, wouldn't that be a little lazy to just completely re-do what was done before?
  • Options
    MAIN FEATURES:
    San Myshuno; New city world (4 neighborhoods + 1 separate park lot)
    Apartments & Penthouses
    Cultural festivals (Romance Festival, Spice Festival, Geekcon, [+ 2 others])
    3 new careers (Politician, Critic, Social Media)
    2 new Sim traits - Vegetarian, Unflirty
    1 new aspiration - City Native (explore, meet people, do city activities, etc.)
    1 new death - Poison (from eating badly prepared Pufferfish Nigiri)

FEATURES:
    Basketball
    Cockroaches, power failure, leaky pipes and noisy neighbors in apartments
    Landlords
    Karaoke (+Karaoke bars)
    Tourists
    Bubble bar
    Food stands
    Fireworks
    Sparklers
    Cultural food
    Elevators (WooHoo?)
    Video game consoles
    Trash chutes
    Street art / graffiti
    Busking
    Human statues
    Keyboards
    Racoon costume
    Protesting
    Talking Toilet
    Eating contests
    1x1 desks
    Singing skill (10 levels)

its more then 3 things that they add

I didn't even know half of these, darnit, now I need to get this Pack ;-;
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    We can all go in circles here because none of us are speaking facts but instead speaking opinions. But to add my opinion to the chat I will say that for me most packs in TS3 were hit or miss and I i don't think the amount of content added is what matter, it's how valuable that content is too you.

World Adventures, first S3 EP and for me the 2nd least used pack because most of the gameplay is in the travel worlds and most of it is centered around exploring tombs. I often opt out on traveling and instead built Dojos and Nectaries but 2 skills don't really add much overall. A big pro I often hear about the pack, usually from builders, is the fact you could make complex tombs but I'm not a builder I'm a cas person and there is no real cas in the pack.

Then Ambitions came and that had gameplay that for me became necessary for me to play and I'm talking about Active careers. All my favorite packs in TS3 added Active careers and yes that includes Showtime :D

Get To Work, TS4's first EP and ATM my favorite pack because it adds Active Careers, yeah they function differently then the ones in TS3 but they still give me what I want out of them and that is to actively play a role in my sims experience at work and I hope that in City Living they make at least the political career active.
  • Options
    adamzaid wrote: »
    orkhid22 wrote: »

i own all eps and almost have all store content and i play on almost maxed out settings in my pc with no lag! i have a gtx 1070 my game never lags sims 3 and sims 4! runs like a charm! if you need help refer to the technical disscussion of the furoms!

I'm sorry were you speaking to me? I don't recall soliciting your advice. My statement wasn't a plea for help or advice. Nor did I ask your specs or provide you with mine. I simply voiced MY experience with TS3, which... wait for it because this could blow your mind.... can be different from yours!!!!!!!! I think ppl on the forums really need to understand this concept. My experience is different from yours and it doesn't make mine invalidated simply because it wasn't YOUR experience.

Don't come for me unless I send for you.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    edited September 2016
    To be honest I don't what expansion pack from what series was the biggest in terms of objects nor in gameplay features. These same debates happened with sims 3. Only it was that people believed sims 2 expansion packs were bigger then sims 3 expansion packs. People would go in their game and count the objects, and the special activities for each and list their results.

For me it's not necessarily the amount of stuff or game play activities but how long I can play with it for. There are some objects that I use throughout the game, and then there are some that only get used a couple times. It's the same with gameplay features such as the clubs in sims 4 that I use often. I think an expansion pack feeling bigger may depend on the individual player, and how they play.
  • Options
    Clk1143 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't what expansion pack from what series was the biggest in terms of objects nor in gameplay features. These same debates happened with sims 3. Only it was that people believed sims 2 expansion packs were bigger then sims 3 expansion packs. People would go in their game and count the objects, and the special activities for each and list their results.

For me it's not necessarily the amount of stuff or game play activities but how long I can play with it for. There are some objects that I use throughout the game, and then there are some that only get used a couple times. It's the same with gameplay features such as the clubs in sims 4 that I use often. I think an expansion pack feeling bigger may depend on the individual player, and how they play.

Exactly!
  • Options
    DefectedZombieDefectedZombie Posts: 2 New Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    We can all go in circles here because none of us are speaking facts but instead speaking opinions. But to add my opinion to the chat I will say that for me most packs in TS3 were hit or miss and I i don't think the amount of content added is what matter, it's how valuable that content is too you.

World Adventures, first S3 EP and for me the 2nd least used pack because most of the gameplay is in the travel worlds and most of it is centered around exploring tombs. I often opt out on traveling and instead built Dojos and Nectaries but 2 skills don't really add much overall. A big pro I often hear about the pack, usually from builders, is the fact you could make complex tombs but I'm not a builder I'm a cas person and there is no real cas in the pack.

Then Ambitions came and that had gameplay that for me became necessary for me to play and I'm talking about Active careers. All my favorite packs in TS3 added Active careers and yes that includes Showtime :D

Get To Work, TS4's first EP and ATM my favorite pack because it adds Active Careers, yeah they function differently then the ones in TS3 but they still give me what I want out of them and that is to actively play a role in my sims experience at work and I hope that in City Living they make at least the political career active.

^ This I found this to be an amazing point! Honestly what made me personally love TS3 came down to the ability to customize anything in the game through the CAS. When I play the Sims it has often been with in the mindset to live out my dream life, I am Disabled irl and due that can never own or afford to own a farm, however that has been my dream since growing up and being in like 4-H to my Horticulture classes, I also love too cook, which is what got me into the idea of farming, the joy of growing my own crops and owning my own farm animals to make my own cheese, butter, ect ect, that I could then use in cooking. To be able to make a living off of that as well.

In Sims 3 you could go above and beyond to make this dream a virtual reality, from owning multiple lots, I have a farm house on a 64x64 lot, then two 64x64 lots on either side of that, my Farmer family purchased, once is awhole field which uses the store content for the tractor, the other is animals from cows to chickens, to horses and their stable! Then down the road from the farm closer to town is my Sims own consignment shop where they not only sell their own food, but also sell their extra crops! The two adults have two kids atm Blossom, and Tanus. The Adults are Krawl & Anne Crespo, Krawl is the main farmer joe guy he has greenthumb, handyman, active, technologyphobe, family man, he prefers a very productive life style and dislikes things such as ever having to worry about the laziness in the lap of luxury, the type who believes bringing home an idiot box will only promote laziness, Anne is a stay at home mom who plans to start working as a waitress in the local diner and work her way up to being a celebirty chef, as she loves to cook, clean, shes very creative, and enjoys a more artsy life style especially being outdoors, little does her husband know she's also got a secret life, as a fairy, constantly helping him in his gardening when he isnt looking. Tanus their son is a bit of a diva, and wants to grow up in a lap of luxury, hates being dirty, is a total mooch and slouch, wants fame and fortune so everything is handed to him on a silver platter, wants far away from the farm as possible. Blossom, is a total tomboy she cant get dirtier enough and wnats to be surrounded by the family pets, loves the horses cows and chickens, cant wait to inhereit the farm and start a family of her own. (She doesnt know this yet but one day soon will fall in love with a mysterious traveler/advernturer who will open up the world to her and the numerous generations that this farm will be passed down too he will help revolutionize the farm by teaching them how to make their very own wine!)

With CAS as each Crespo generation passes down the farm, the house will change to match their style and even get bigger and expand more.

As it stands I cannot see a way for this style of play to ever become a reality within TS4, and to me that is such a shame. I believe TS4 has so much to offer for people who do enjoy this particular style of play. One of my main problems irl is that I suffer from huge amounts of social anxiety. So my biggest issue in TS4 comes down to the forced social interactions, this entire game has been so heavily focused on the social side, it has left very little to the introverted. TS3 allowed for a comfortable room for both, you could be introverted and have your Mr Farmer Joe who prefered to keep to his family and his land, while still experimenting with Mr Diva Social Butterfly Tanus. The one thing I found to be very true about the CAS, was it didn't just allow for the customizability of the Style of the game, but added to the imagination of the stories you could create. TS3 CAS could have stood for so much, Create a Sim/ulation, Create a Style, Create a Story...

However I am looking at TS3 current and as awhole, which I still play to this very day, (excited to get the glass making store content pack, as well as the pack that allows the owning of food stores.) I am not comparing TS3 full to TS4 as the two stand on very different levels. However maybe this will hopefully stand as a reminder to some of the beauty TS3 could and did bring to the table. I am truly hoping by the time we have a fully finished TS4 there will be something for all, as it stands, they seem to have forgotten the introverts though and the people who want to farm. It's hard to simulate your dream life or dream story, when everything is set to a very linear ideas and very little personal customization and touches.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    No, my impressions are different. The only huge ep I can think of was Island Paradise. The rest provided less content (maybe not necessarily by numbers but by the experience it provided). Generations was a bad joke. The scripted events were fun and a very good idea but overall by far the worst dlc I've every seen in any game (for the cost).

Lmao, generations have added a lot more gameplay than the sims 4 has ever such as strollers, wedding gifts, camera recorders, bachorlette parties and pranks. The sims 4 only adds objects and very little gameplay with the expansions. For apartments, its just basically another lot that is same as a house but looks like an apartment, nothing amazing.

Yeah, I gotta say Generations did seem on the surface like very little - but in all actuality, there's a lot in that pack we take advantage of (during 3's reign) simply because it was like a pot lock of different features added to already existing features. Like, wedding gifts. Stroller's were epic.
  • Options
    VentusMatt wrote: »

^ This I found this to be an amazing point! Honestly what made me personally love TS3 came down to the ability to customize anything in the game through the CAS. When I play the Sims it has often been with in the mindset to live out my dream life, I am Disabled irl and due that can never own or afford to own a farm, however that has been my dream since growing up and being in like 4-H to my Horticulture classes, I also love too cook, which is what got me into the idea of farming, the joy of growing my own crops and owning my own farm animals to make my own cheese, butter, ect ect, that I could then use in cooking. To be able to make a living off of that as well.

In Sims 3 you could go above and beyond to make this dream a virtual reality, from owning multiple lots, I have a farm house on a 64x64 lot, then two 64x64 lots on either side of that, my Farmer family purchased, once is awhole field which uses the store content for the tractor, the other is animals from cows to chickens, to horses and their stable! Then down the road from the farm closer to town is my Sims own consignment shop where they not only sell their own food, but also sell their extra crops! The two adults have two kids atm Blossom, and Tanus. The Adults are Krawl & Anne Crespo, Krawl is the main farmer joe guy he has greenthumb, handyman, active, technologyphobe, family man, he prefers a very productive life style and dislikes things such as ever having to worry about the laziness in the lap of luxury, the type who believes bringing home an plum box will only promote laziness, Anne is a stay at home mom who plans to start working as a waitress in the local diner and work her way up to being a celebirty chef, as she loves to cook, clean, shes very creative, and enjoys a more artsy life style especially being outdoors, little does her husband know she's also got a secret life, as a fairy, constantly helping him in his gardening when he isnt looking. Tanus their son is a bit of a diva, and wants to grow up in a lap of luxury, hates being dirty, is a total mooch and slouch, wants fame and fortune so everything is handed to him on a silver platter, wants far away from the farm as possible. Blossom, is a total tomboy she cant get dirtier enough and wnats to be surrounded by the family pets, loves the horses cows and chickens, cant wait to inhereit the farm and start a family of her own. (She doesnt know this yet but one day soon will fall in love with a mysterious traveler/advernturer who will open up the world to her and the numerous generations that this farm will be passed down too he will help revolutionize the farm by teaching them how to make their very own wine!)

With CAS as each Crespo generation passes down the farm, the house will change to match their style and even get bigger and expand more.

As it stands I cannot see a way for this style of play to ever become a reality within TS4, and to me that is such a shame. I believe TS4 has so much to offer for people who do enjoy this particular style of play. One of my main problems irl is that I suffer from huge amounts of social anxiety. So my biggest issue in TS4 comes down to the forced social interactions, this entire game has been so heavily focused on the social side, it has left very little to the introverted. TS3 allowed for a comfortable room for both, you could be introverted and have your Mr Farmer Joe who prefered to keep to his family and his land, while still experimenting with Mr Diva Social Butterfly Tanus. The one thing I found to be very true about the CAS, was it didn't just allow for the customizability of the Style of the game, but added to the imagination of the stories you could create. TS3 CAS could have stood for so much, Create a Sim/ulation, Create a Style, Create a Story...

However I am looking at TS3 current and as awhole, which I still play to this very day, (excited to get the glass making store content pack, as well as the pack that allows the owning of food stores.) I am not comparing TS3 full to TS4 as the two stand on very different levels. However maybe this will hopefully stand as a reminder to some of the beauty TS3 could and did bring to the table. I am truly hoping by the time we have a fully finished TS4 there will be something for all, as it stands, they seem to have forgotten the introverts though and the people who want to farm. It's hard to simulate your dream life or dream story, when everything is set to a very linear ideas and very little personal customization and touches.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 you really love playing the sims 3 like me i clocked alomst 600 hours at he sims 3 XD i am addicted more then ever right now XD but school is interfering me XD @DefectedZombie btw hi welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited September 2016
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Maybe they feel smaller because the worlds are smaller? Otherwise they pretty much feel the same to me.

I didn't really get into TS3, but from what I do remember the EP Showtime felt pretty lacklustre in terms of gameplay. Not a worthy Superstar successor in my eyes.

I have been saying so much since the sims 4 launch that the expansion packs with this game are smaller.

And each one now it seems both with this pack and the others (get to work/together) we have had

1 Restrictions
    2 Less tools and options
    3 smaller worlds (neighbours hoods)
    4 less interactions
    5 less in life states
    6 less in each of the themes remakes

1 reasons for "restrictions" (or what I consider to be a shift in focus) have been explained numerous times by devs.
    2 correct, but this is because of the base game, not expansions.
    3 agree, but the smaller hoods are more lively imo.
    4 somewhat agree. If you mean between sims alone, then yes. However new gameplay interactions feel about the same (maybe not with GT, however).
    5 again, TS4 breaking traditions. Perhaps this allows for a pack with more fleshed out life states.
    6 The Sims shouldn't be about constant rehashing of old ideas. I see it as a waste of money and a waste of devs time. Yes, seeing older things in new games is nice, but the older games are still there for anyone who wants those experiences in the way they're delivered. New ideas should take priority in TS4.

1 I would still like to see less restrictions regardless.
    2 I am talking about less tool/options in the packs.
    3 I would still like to see bigger world.
    4 yes between sims and less animation cuts would be nice :(
    I love New ideas as much as anybody but when we a given remakes most expect them to be as good if not better than before

Remakes with the sims 4 have just been terribly done because of lots of reason like some I listed.

I have not seen one expansion yet with this game that's been packed with all and more above I guess

I find them to be very small packs and not always small in regards to the content
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    TS4 EPs are no more TS3 EPs than TS3 EPs where TS2 EPs.

I cannot remember a GTW, GT and CL for TS3. There where similar themes but no carbon copies.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg