Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the sims 4 expasnion packs are smaller than in sims 3?!

Comments

• Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    There's 2 major problems with TS4 expansion packs.

1. They take 2 or 3 main ideas (most likely to appeal to more people) and don't fully flesh any of them out so we are very limited on what we can actually do in each specific field.

2. The world of the pack is the "star" leaving the expansion lacking on features and game play. We are getting new areas to play in, but doing the same old things like eating, partying etc.

so true XD @papersuitcase
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I wish the TS4 EPs would add loads of traits and aspirations/lifetime goals like the TS3 EPs did at least.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2016
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    No, my impressions are different. The only huge ep I can think of was Island Paradise. The rest provided less content (maybe not necessarily by numbers but by the experience it provided). Generations was a bad joke. The scripted events were fun and a very good idea but overall by far the worst dlc I've every seen in any game (for the cost).

Are you kidding? Sims 3 Supernatural was a huge EP. It added 3 new lifestates, greater customization of the supernatural lifestates we already had, tons of content, new traits and aspirations, a new town, and tons of new gameplay.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
    I think... I hope, I read your comment wrong. Because, I believe TS3 team put just as much- if not more "effort in every pack" as TS4 teams did for the expansion packs. (because they gave us more Tools to play with)
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    we don't even know what all content we're getting in CityLiving yet. We have about 3 more reveals to go.
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Maybe they feel smaller because the worlds are smaller? Otherwise they pretty much feel the same to me.

I didn't really get into TS3, but from what I do remember the EP Showtime felt pretty lacklustre in terms of gameplay. Not a worthy Superstar successor in my eyes.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Maybe they feel smaller because the worlds are smaller? Otherwise they pretty much feel the same to me.

I didn't really get into TS3, but from what I do remember the EP Showtime felt pretty lacklustre in terms of gameplay. Not a worthy Superstar successor in my eyes.

I have been saying so much since the sims 4 launch that the expansion packs with this game are smaller.

And each one now it seems both with this pack and the others (get to work/together) we have had

1 Restrictions
    2 Less tools and options
    3 smaller worlds (neighbours hoods)
    4 less interactions
    5 less in life states
    6 less in each of the themes remakes

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    No, my impressions are different. The only huge ep I can think of was Island Paradise. The rest provided less content (maybe not necessarily by numbers but by the experience it provided). Generations was a bad joke. The scripted events were fun and a very good idea but overall by far the worst dlc I've every seen in any game (for the cost).

Lmao, generations have added a lot more gameplay than the sims 4 has ever such as strollers, wedding gifts, camera recorders, bachorlette parties and pranks. The sims 4 only adds objects and very little gameplay with the expansions. For apartments, its just basically another lot that is same as a house but looks like an apartment, nothing amazing.

Everything you just said is objects and very little gameplay. I like generations but it was empty compared to other sims 3 packs.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,169 Member
    In my opinion, based on the 2 EPs we currently have for TS4, I think TS4's EPs are indeed smaller than TS3's (and TS2's as well, for the most part), like @papersuitcase said, they seem to take a few ideas and just do something around these ideas a little and call it a pack, nothing too game changing...
  • Options
    MikeytMikeyt Posts: 42 Member
    I think they're pretty small. I think Get Together and City Living could have easily been merged and produced as one pack.

As much as I like the clubs, if you removed them from Get Together, what would we have had? Windenberg and few gameplay objects. That's it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I thought get together provided a beautiful world that was different from the others and I loved the building aspects. It also provided a lot of things to do for teens and children I thought. After GT I could make an arcade. I loved the natural pool/lagoon stuff too....

That sounds like you bought a SP with a world rather than an EP.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,417 Member
    edited September 2016
    @adamzaid

In term of major features :

The Sims 1 EP03 Hot Date :
    - Downtown neighborhood
    - Restaurant
    - NPC townies

The Sims 2 EP02 Nightlife :
    - Downtown neighborhood
    - Restaurant, Nightclub
    - Drivable Car
    - Vampire

The Sims 2 EP08 Apartment Life :
    - Belladonna Cove
    - Apartment
    - NPC Roommate
    - Witch

The Sims 3 EP03 Late Night :
    - Bridgeport
    - Nightclub, Lounge, bar
    - Penthouse
    - Music band
    - Celebrity
    - Vampire

The Sims 4 EP03 City Living :
    - San Myshuno
    - Karaoke, Art Gallery
    - Apartment, Penthouse
    - Festivals
    - Lot Traits
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    In my opinion, based on the 2 EPs we currently have for TS4, I think TS4's EPs are indeed smaller than TS3's (and TS2's as well, for the most part), like @papersuitcase said, they seem to take a few ideas and just do something around these ideas a little and call it a pack, nothing too game changing...

Agreed
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited September 2016
    marcel21 wrote: »

I have been saying so much since the sims 4 launch that the expansion packs with this game are smaller.

And each one now it seems both with this pack and the others (get to work/together) we have had

1 Restrictions
    2 Less tools and options
    3 smaller worlds (neighbours hoods)
    4 less interactions
    5 less in life states
    6 less in each of the themes remakes

1 reasons for "restrictions" (or what I consider to be a shift in focus) have been explained numerous times by devs.
    2 correct, but this is because of the base game, not expansions.
    3 agree, but the smaller hoods are more lively imo.
    4 somewhat agree. If you mean between sims alone, then yes. However new gameplay interactions feel about the same (maybe not with GT, however).
    5 again, TS4 breaking traditions. Perhaps this allows for a pack with more fleshed out life states.
    6 The Sims shouldn't be about constant rehashing of old ideas. I see it as a waste of money and a waste of devs time. Yes, seeing older things in new games is nice, but the older games are still there for anyone who wants those experiences in the way they're delivered. New ideas should take priority in TS4.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @adamzaid

- Downtown neighborhood
    - Restaurant
    - NPC townies

- Downtown neighborhood
    - Restaurant, Nightclub
    - Drivable Car
    - Vampire

- Bridgeport
    - Nightclub, Lounge, bar
    - Penthouse
    - Music band
    - Celebrity
    - Vampire

- San Myshuno
    - Karaoke, Art Gallery
    - Apartment, Penthouse
    - Festivals
    - Lot Traits

Lot Traits will be patched so not an EP feature, and apartments and penthouses are normal lots.

Nightlife also had bowling alleys and karaoke but I don't even understand why you'd be comparing the two, it should be Apartment Life being compared not Nightlife, Hot Date shouldn't even be here.

A world isn't a feature either darling, nice try.

Here's the fixed comparison:

The Sims 2 EP09 Apartment Life :
    -Apartments
    -Roomates
    -Reputation system
    -Social Classes
    -Witches

- Nightclub, Lounge, bar
    - Penthouse
    - Music band
    - Celebrity
    - Vampire

- Karaoke, Art Gallery
    - Festivals
    - Neighbours will want to use your stuff
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    @Sigzy05 They've only hinted that lot traits will be patched, not outright said so. Most of what they've said is that there will be future lot traits. We were also told specifically that none of the trailer lot traits would be patched in. Very few might be at all, for all we know. Or they might not have meant to suggest that they'd be patched in, only that there's be other opportunities to get them - the phrasing was just ambiguous enough.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I don't think they are smaller, just our expectations are bigger.

When The Sims Studio bring back a feature , we expect more than the previous games.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    @Sigzy05 They've only hinted that lot traits will be patched, not outright said so. Most of what they've said is that there will be future lot traits. We were also told specifically that none of the trailer lot traits would be patched in. Very few might be at all, for all we know. Or they might not have meant to suggest that they'd be patched in, only that there's be other opportunities to get them - the phrasing was just ambiguous enough.

Didn't they clearly say in the live stream that lot traits will be patched in? Maybe I'm misremembering.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Sigzy05

Lot Trait is a feature of the pack since there are specific Lot Traits.

No world = No San Myshuno = No apartment

The Sims Studio spent a lot of time in the creation of the world, the buildings and the local population , you can't say it doesn't count.
    The most of players would be sad if there was no new world in these EPs.
  • Options
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @adamzaid

- Downtown neighborhood
    - Restaurant
    - NPC townies

- Downtown neighborhood
    - Restaurant, Nightclub
    - Drivable Car
    - Vampire

- Bridgeport
    - Nightclub, Lounge, bar
    - Penthouse
    - Music band
    - Celebrity
    - Vampire

- San Myshuno
    - Karaoke, Art Gallery
    - Apartment, Penthouse
    - Festivals
    - Lot Traits

Lot Traits will be patched so not an EP feature, and apartments and penthouses are normal lots.

Nightlife also had bowling alleys, but I don't even understand why you'd be comparing the two, it should be Apartment Life being compared not Nightlife, Hot Date shouldn't even be here.

A world isn't a feature either darling, nice try.

Here's the fixed comparison:

The Sims 2 EP09 Apartment Life :
    -Apartments
    -Roomates
    -Reputation system
    -Social Classes
    -Witches

- Nightclub, Lounge, bar
    - Penthouse
    - Music band
    - Celebrity
    - Vampire

- Karaoke, Art Gallery
    - Festivals
    - Neighbours will want to use your stuff

Lot traits is a feature of the pack since there are specific Lot Traits.

No. That'd be like saying sim traits are exclusive to this pack because there are traits in the pack.

In case Lot Traits are patched, this pack has new lot traits, not the feature.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited September 2016
    @luthienrising have you heard them say anything or hinted at what is going to be patched or has it only been the lot traits? I believe Drake said that the free content was not shown in the trailer, but yeah.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Sigzy05

Why do you compare AL, LN and CL ? There is no apartment in LN :p

Apartment/Roommate are added by TS3 University Life.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    @luthienrising have you heard them say anything or hinted at what is going to be patched or has it only been the lot traits? I believe Drake said that the free content was not shown in the trailer, but yeah.

Everything I've seen on that is here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15226650/#Comment_15226650
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Sigzy05

Why do you compare AL, LN and CL ? There is no apartment in LN :p

Apartment/Roommate are added by TS3 University Life.

Because it also has penthouses. Nightlife does not inlcude either penthouses or apartments nor does Hot Date.

University apartments/roomate system could be compared too.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    simondhaenesimondhaene Posts: 77 Member
    MAIN FEATURES:
    San Myshuno; New city world (4 neighborhoods + 1 separate park lot)
    Apartments & Penthouses
    Cultural festivals (Romance Festival, Spice Festival, Geekcon, [+ 2 others])
    3 new careers (Politician, Critic, Social Media)
    2 new Sim traits - Vegetarian, Unflirty
    1 new aspiration - City Native (explore, meet people, do city activities, etc.)
    1 new death - Poison (from eating badly prepared Pufferfish Nigiri)

FEATURES:
    Basketball
    Cockroaches, power failure, leaky pipes and noisy neighbors in apartments
    Landlords
    Karaoke (+Karaoke bars)
    Tourists
    Bubble bar
    Food stands
    Fireworks
    Sparklers
    Cultural food
    Elevators (WooHoo?)