Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"live service" explained

Comments

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Glad you explained here, between all the different posts, I was beginning to think that we were going to have flame wars forever on the forums!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @SimGuruGraham ummm....is there a shhh....gotta say it.....TODDLER team???? :lol:
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Thank you for clarifying, @SimGuruGraham! It's very much appreciated.
    Thank you to the mods, as well, for sticking this thread. Good info!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    edited July 2016
    I have tried to keep with all the posts and such.. and was going to post myself on a few, but man when do you all play? I can't play and keep up with all the upheaval about what is and what isn't...

Thank you Graham for helping everyone understand the protocol of what is going on with the way the packs are being released and that the method is live service..

so we can now say can you all make toddlers for a week or two and deliver it in all formats? Just create a toddler budget allocation and get it done! :lol: Enjoying the Kids Room stuff pack.. There's alot more that they need to actually feel like they have toys and things to do that make them kids, so will look forward to any other kids stuff packs you can get allocations for.

My question for @SimGuruGraham When someone is assigned an asset ( object or game-play item) do you ever say that would fit this pack better? Or have one finished that didn't make it in the pack it was originally created for and it has to wait for a budget to fit into a pack?
    Which then leads to is this why a potential backyard pack might be brought forth even though there is a perfect patio and romantic gardens? and/ or is released as a patch item?
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited July 2016
    theskull07 wrote: »
    No disrespect but taking EPs and splitting them up into multiple packs isn't something I would put pass the corporate overlords EA HQ. The Sims Franshise is already with no other Franchise coming close the most heavily paid DLC/EP game franchise. Has been from the start. No other game comes close in terms of paid content after release. Sad part is you are already splitting up EPs. Just calling them "Stuff Packs" and "Game Packs" to save face, and between the 4 games there hasn't been many EP that could be called unique and not repetitive.

If you think The Sims is one of the worst franchises when it comes to DLC and DLC prices, then all I have to say is welcome to the gaming world. Because it gets much, much worse, The Sims is actually quite cheap when compared to a lot of games. Like a game I play just released it's third expansion yesterday. You'll easily spend over $700 just to get access to everything the expansion offers and it gets much worse in other games. This one game that my older brother used to play cost him over $700 for a cosmetic cape. Let me repeat, cosmetic cape. And on some games, a gun texture will cost you thousands. And there are a lot of games like this. So no, The Sims doesn't even get in the top 100 games when it comes to DLC and DLC pricing. Trust me, The Sims has got it easy.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Just curious, which team worked on the Holiday Celebration Pack? Would it have been the Engagement Team or the Stuff Pack Team? Thank you for clarifying this @SimGuruGraham!! :)
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    No disrespect but taking EPs and splitting them up into multiple packs isn't something I would put pass the corporate overlords EA HQ. The Sims Franshise is already with no other Franchise coming close the most heavily paid DLC/EP game franchise. Has been from the start. No other game comes close in terms of paid content after release. Sad part is you are already splitting up EPs. Just calling them "Stuff Packs" and "Game Packs" to save face, and between the 4 games there hasn't been many EP that could be called unique and not repetitive.

How would you know if Expansion Packs are being split into multiple Packs? Even then, some people favor multiple Packs over a single Expansion - different preferences and all.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    Sims 3 DLC 18 packs 11 EPs and 9 SPs. In 6 years

Sims 4 so far 2 EPs, 3 GPs, and 7 SPs for a grand total of 12 packs. That's in 22 months.

Seems thier plan with TS4 is to Stuff Pack our wallets to death. Problem with SPs is they usually don't offer as much value for your dollar as a true EP does.

Whether anything is worth the money a consumer spends is dependent on each individual consumer, and although some people might not like Stuff Packs, there are still allot of people who do, not to mention the fact that you aren't being forced to buy them, if you spend money on them that would be your own decision. I'd also like to add that you didn't include the Store Content from The Sims 3.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited July 2016
    Gabe_oz wrote: »

If you think The Sims is one of the worst franchises when it comes to DLC and DLC prices, then all I have to say is welcome to the gaming world. Because it gets much, much worse, The Sims is actually quite cheap when compared to a lot of games. Like a game I play just released it's third expansion yesterday. You'll easily spend over $700 just to get access to everything the expansion offers and it gets much worse in other games. This one game that my older brother used to play cost him over $700 for a cosmetic cape. Let me repeat, cosmetic cape. And on some games, a gun texture will cost you thousands. And there are a lot of games like this. So no, The Sims doesn't even get in the top 100 games when it comes to DLC and DLC pricing. Trust me, The Sims has got it easy.

Whoa, which games are you playing where aesthetic items go for $700 to thousands? As many games as I play I haven't seen a lot that price items that high. Are you talking about rolling the dice on chests, or actually buying the item? Are these "F2P" games where the profit is made from extra content, or are they games that cost $60 to buy? Just curious, because there can be a lot of factors at play in today's game world.

I've played a lot of games over the past few decades, and as much as I've always loved The Sims, it's up there in terms of amount of extra content, especially for a single player game. Yeah, there are worse, but TS is kind of notorious for its copious amounts of packs. Even people I know who don't play The Sims associate the series with lots of DLC. That's just the way it is.

Anyway, whether it's better or worse than other games doesn't really mean too much to me. I just want better for this game. I don't have a problem with Stuff Packs in general. I own every pack for every previous game. I just think we're overdue for a nice, big expansion. I do appreciate Graham's post. Hopefully we'll see some of the classics soon.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    I've just been stating your tweets were so vague and now look at this. That was one informative and insightful read, thanks! And thanks @jackjack_k btw, for triggering this :#
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think this new plan is working out too well. I'm bored out of my mind with this game. There is no excitement, no looking forward to adding new neat things, just same ole' same ole'

I hardly come by anymore to these forums where I once lived 7 days a week.

If this new plan is working for you, well that's all well and good, but for me it's nothing but dead air
    Some things don't seem to work out so well I agree, but it is a fact many bugs in 3 were never adressed (many were by the way) and I think it's a very good thing they're trying to change things to avoid that. For me this isn't related to the quality of the games. Imagine a Sims 3 with this new concept. My sims would be able to explore under water caves!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    theskull07theskull07 Posts: 36 Member
    i feel so sad.... there no news about EP3 :(

If past history is of any worth expect it by mid August, and the EP to be released in December. Typically that is how The Sims has done the last EP of the year.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    The Sims 4 being a 'Live' service isn't what you should be worried about.

What you should be worrying about is when they pull a 'Darkspore' after the Sims 5 comes out and turn The Sims 4 into a dead service.
    raw
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Thank you so very much, SimGuruGraham, for the insightful explanation! I was one of those completely in the dark on what live service meant. My brain totally went in a wrong direction. Thanks for clearing this up. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    @SimGuruGraham Thanks for the explanation! I was so confusing and was making guesses for "live service". Your explanation was very detail. I understood everything!
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Whoa, which games are you playing where aesthetic items go for $700 to thousands? As many games as I play I haven't seen a lot that price items that high. Are you talking about rolling the dice on chests, or actually buying the item? Are these "F2P" games where the profit is made from extra content, or are they games that cost $60 to buy? Just curious, because there can be a lot of factors at play in today's game world.

I've played a lot of games over the past few decades, and as much as I've always loved The Sims, it's up there in terms of amount of extra content, especially for a single player game. Yeah, there are worse, but TS is kind of notorious for its copious amounts of packs. Even people I know who don't play The Sims associate the series with lots of DLC. That's just the way it is.

Anyway, whether it's better or worse than other games doesn't really mean too much to me. I just want better for this game. I don't have a problem with Stuff Packs in general. I own every pack for every previous game. I just think we're overdue for a nice, big expansion. I do appreciate Graham's post. Hopefully we'll see some of the classics soon.

Look up: Train Simulator... that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 adds up fast and people pay for that willingly
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    So basically amidst the chaos what I gathered from the announcement is that TS4 will essentially turn into a more expensive version of The Sims Freeplay with all this live nonsense.

I guess EA and Maxis just waited for the fans to forget about the initial subscription model leak before they pulled this. I won't be surprised if it comes back in the endgame.
  • Options
    So basically amidst the chaos what I gathered from the announcement is that TS4 will essentially turn into a more expensive version of The Sims Freeplay with all this live nonsense.

I guess EA and Maxis just waited for the fans to forget about the initial subscription model leak before they pulled this. I won't be surprised if it comes back in the endgame.

Did you actually read what Graham wrote, or did you just look at the word live?
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

It's a bit of everything really. F2P and P2P, online and offline, random or paid, etc. a lot of games even have it set up where you get something out of a random crate and you can sell for rl money.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member

Care to elaborate on what you mean?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    VentusMatt wrote: »

Care to elaborate on what you mean?

8 stuff packs so far (one on the way) is more expensive than one solid EP. One GP that could have been sold in GTW's version of OFB becomes more expensive over time if you split ideas and themes among many packs. Pets, with Seasons but then add events for the seasons in another pack is what I call milking. Or a dog in this and a cat in that or a bird in a stuff pack. ETA: Cool Kitchen, no kitchen curtains buy another pack to get them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016

Did you actually read what Graham wrote, or did you just look at the word live?

I actually read it and the whole thing just reeked of candy coating stuff that'll be problematic in the future. Thanks for being not condescending at all. "It means we're gonna give you more packs!" that's great I could use more mindless stuff packs and game packs that totally weren't chopped off from an EP for more cash. "We'll have more patches and fixes!" oh you mean patches for broken stuff that shouldn't even be there in the first place? Thanks for doing me a solid Maxis!

This whole thing is just stupid. I can see the game turning into a glorified mobile game within the year or so with this business model they're slowly suckering players like you into. If they really don't mean for the game to devolve into that maybe they shouldn't have used a term that has such a negative stigma around it.

Also I absolutely love how put down the other guy's opinion of The Sims having a bad DLC model just because he was wrong on it being the worst. I've played a metric ton of games and The Sims is right up there with the horrible DLC with it's only saving grace being that it's a game about life and thus having plenty of opportunities for expansion.

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    It Looks like he has his Angry face on when he posted this, And I am still confused by it, it all just sounded like Mumbo Jumbo to me, :(. and it still does not explain why Stuff has not come out that I use for My Gothic type style, instead of the same ole same ole , or packs that people have been wanting, I know for one I am getting really tired of waiting for My game play stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top