Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"live service" explained

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    But this live service, does it end up slowing everything down?
    Like, are you guys going to be releasing less content for The Sims 4, the same content in a longer time frame, or you guys will make up for lost time in the next few years.

When one of your biggest fans for The Sims 4 had decided to stop investing in it (me), it rings alarm bells.

I need to know that you guys are going to support it the same, if not more, than 3. Right now I'm concerned there will be like 5 EP's total.

And that's not worth investing in.

I love the work you guys do, but surely, you guys can at least let us know that this 1 EP for the year isn't going to be standard.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    @KeyserFn
    Basically this is what i think he is saying. With TS3 they had two teams (Redwood Shores & Salt Lake) working on EPs and a store team and for the most part they didn't share or integrate assets. This lead to many bugs due to that lack of communication between the teams which lead to bugs often only being fixed when the next packs prerelease patch came around. Each team also had their own schedules to follow as well as budgets so if one team needed more resources the other teams couldn't allocate theirs resources to help them. Now with TS4 all teams (EP team ,GP team ,SP team, and engagement/patch team) are now in one location (Redwood) and because of this they are able to share assets and integrate assets with one another. This also means they can allocate resources amongst all the teams based on which one needs it the most at the time. Because of this improved communication amongst the teams they are able to find bugs and take care of them faster then before. Now due to so many changes this time around they are still in the process of finding a balance which is why past pack patterns are no longer being followed.

I hope this helped. :smile:

Now on a side note I like that he mentioned the fact the TS3 had 2 EP teams because a lot of people are getting worried over the fact that we may only get one EP a year now but something to keep in mind is that each team released a pack about once a year so in turn we got two EPs a year in TS3 one from each team. TS4 though has only one EP team so if we only get one EP a year they technically are still following past schedules at least by a one team perpective :blush:
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Thank you Graham, that makes everything much clearer.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for explaining this everyone! :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    @SimGuruGraham Thank you so much for clarifying this issue! I'm really at ease now. I really like what you guys are doing with TS4, and I do think in the end it will certainly be the best sims game ever, if fully realised. It's been almost 2 years, and I can't imagine where the game will be 2 years from now if development continues at a steady pace. I hope that the types of expansions we are used to from other sims games comes to this iteration, but I also like when you guys try new things.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Thank you very much for clarifying. I was quite confused when I heard of the "live service" thing, but I'm glad you took the time to explain :smile:
    We appreciate when we get communication, and though we know the team can't tell us about anything unless it's definitely going to be released, it puts our hearts at ease when we know what's in the works/going on. Probably my favourite thing about past sims games was reading *every* detail about a pack before I bought it; it kept me sane and excited.
    So I hope that there can be a way of more frequent communication and I appreciate everything you do for us :smile: Thank you again.
  • AudreyLDAudreyLD Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks Graham , its not easy to take the time to explain the thing intern of organisation Studio. Thanks a lot for explain. good continuation ^^
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I think @Sk8rblaze that he is not going to be able to answer you has quite it is internal to the company. (its not critic @Sk8rblaze ^^, just informative).

Even if for the moment they have no direct competitor, its sensitive as questions. I find moreover that it is enormous that little is explained how the organization of the teams has was seen again. Later if you more want to get how the magic operates, it is necessary to work in the studio in him even. To have to work in the environment of the video game it is not as well simple as the people as in any company can consider it. Later I think that we shall really see the results of this organization for the next fiscal year, they will have had time to adapt themselves well.
  • lmusiclmusic Posts: 288 Member
    Thank you for the clarification :smile:
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Thank you for the reply here Graham. I was getting alarmed earlier reading through the speculation threads and it's still not sitting well, despite your clarification. I know things evolve and move and change and it makes sense that behind the scenes the processes would also. I do like the frequency of the patches and so far any bugs that have affected me at least seem to get addressed in an emergency patch or the next patch... it also seems to me that the response is getting quicker for things like that as time goes on and I appreciate that. So if that is part of what live service does keep up the good work there.

However change is scary for most of us and I think that's in part why we had the forum explosion.. That and lack of communication. I want to still believe that this version is "capable of fulfilling my desires for years to come"... Through EP's and possibly GP's. I think the wait for another big meat and potatoes type EP is taking a toll even on some of the fans of this series. My feeling is that if we get something familiar .. that we use to get it will help calm some of that angst... Seasons.. Supernaturals.. University.. Generations.. Pets ect.

The stuff packs are great... instant gratification, but they only satisfy so long and if they are niche types.. they might not satisfy at all. I just hope something big is coming soon. I know you all can't talk about things prior to release and I'm not asking for or expecting this. I just think we need some assurance about the future of the series in general from time to time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    So the paid content has nothing to do with the live service.... ok.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Thanks Graham for clearing that up. I like live service better since more bugs get fixed.
  • HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member
    edited July 2016
    So, we still get EPs, right? :D
    Post edited by Hannie on
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2016
    Was just popping my nose in as I was getting a 'I need to play some sims' vibe coming on after being buried in Crusader Kings 2 for a few months and this post saved me wading through tons of stuff to catch up - business as usual then?

You guys at Maxis should hook up with Paradox Studios and make beautiful game babies.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • theskull07theskull07 Posts: 36 Member
    No disrespect but taking EPs and splitting them up into multiple packs isn't something I would put pass the corporate overlords EA HQ. The Sims Franshise is already with no other Franchise coming close the most heavily paid DLC/EP game franchise. Has been from the start. No other game comes close in terms of paid content after release. Sad part is you are already splitting up EPs. Just calling them "Stuff Packs" and "Game Packs" to save face, and between the 4 games there hasn't been many EP that could be called unique and not repetitive.
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    Good on you @SimGuruGraham for clearing that up for many before an all out flaming war happened!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,842 Member
    @VentusMatt, the one EP a year was my takeaway also. Multiple stuff packs because they require fewer resources, free content patches, perhaps two game packs, and one expansion pack per year.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @VentusMatt, the one EP a year was my takeaway also. Multiple stuff packs because they require fewer resources, free content patches, perhaps two game packs, and one expansion pack per year.

Two game packs would be great indeed, I think one EP and one GP isn't enough.
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    And this thread got stickied! cool!
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Thank you so much, SimGuru Graham, for the clarification on what Live Service means in terms of the Sims. B)
  • theskull07theskull07 Posts: 36 Member
    Sims 3 DLC 18 packs 11 EPs and 9 SPs. In 6 years

Sims 4 so far 2 EPs, 3 GPs, and 7 SPs for a grand total of 12 packs. That's in 22 months.

Seems thier plan with TS4 is to Stuff Pack our wallets to death. Problem with SPs is they usually don't offer as much value for your dollar as a true EP does.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Thank you, SimGuruGraham, for fully explaining what is meant by 'live service' and how it affects the release of new content. I appreciate the fact you were very quick to dispel the feeling TS4 is going down the wrong path. You obviously put a lot of thought into your response, and your explanation was very easy to understand. It is something we have all been asking for about many things since TS4 was released. We simply want to know the truth. I appreciate being treated as the adult I am. And I thank you for that.
  • CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    @theskull07 Out of curiosity, do you know the comparisons of the patches between the two?

As some content, including the June 2 patch which took a year to complete and was 1g, is added in patches instead of packs and live service is referring to patches, I think that would be important context to the conversation, as well?
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Hannie wrote: »
    So, we still get EPs, right? :D

LOL its not looking good for this year and there is only 1 quarter left after this current one, we've already been told this quarter will only be another stuffs pack and a couple of patches so if its deeper play you are looking for maybe the next quarter will have an EP :/
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Thanks for clearing this up for us @SimGuruGraham

I take from this that the reason we're being kept waiting for EP3 is that the team keeps getting diverted to other areas? Much the same as a lot of the team were moved over to help finish off Dine Out? (I'm sure I read this from a Guru somewhere but please correct me if I'm wrong).
    tFU6JMe.png
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    theskull07 wrote: »

Sims 4 so far 2 EPs, 3 GPs, and 7 SPs for a grand total of 12 packs. That's in 22 months.

Seems thier plan with TS4 is to Stuff Pack our wallets to death. Problem with SPs is they usually don't offer as much value for your dollar as a true EP does.
    theskull07 wrote: »

Stuff Packs have no bearing on other pack content though as they have their own dedicated team (lead by Graham) much like TS3 Store. GPs and EPs each have a team too and Graham has confirmed that for the majority of the time TS3 had just one EP team too; they did eventually have a second (probably around the time Pets was leaked before Generations was actually released) but for a long time at the beginning it was just one team. Whether the one team we have now has as many members as the two bad in TS3 remains to be seen but it's unlikely to be the case; don't forget a lot of the staff will have been siphoned off to GPs and patch content. I imagine we're waiting so long for the next EP is because the EP team keeps shifting to other areas.
    tFU6JMe.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top