Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Confirmed, we can't work as chefs :/ meh

Comments

• Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    Well, we can't have everything.
    The Sims 4 new slogan.

That's what I said in another post.
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    What a disappointment. Stuff like this is why I stopped playing Sims 4. I haven't purchased anything for the sims since the last EP. Went back to playing Sims 2. I've been waiting for the game to be more fleshed out with more play content, but EA keeps making decisions like this. Oh, well to bad. I do hope that everyone that get the new GP enjoys it though. jmo
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Its funny I'm all for the dining experience and finally having a proper date night ?
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Jordojord wrote: »
    Its funny I'm all for the dining experience and finally having a proper date night ?

I originally just wanted restaurants back in the game. I wasn't really excited about being able to run one until the guru leaked the photo of the phone option to run one. So, yeah, I may be very disappointed if our Sims can't cook anything at all at their own restaurant but I wanted so my Sims could stop cooking at home and dine out now and then. Maybe every meal.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    In Sims 2 when you set the menus, all the dishes had the required level numbers next to it, so you could choose the right dishes.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    OP can you edit the thread title? We can't work as chefs as an active career but we still don't know if that means we can't cook in the restaurants yet.

Reposting my comment from another thread because I'm lazy:

"I feel that the question answered was clearly asking about THE chef. As in, can our sims be THE chef mentioned in the trailer (Chef, Host and Waiter.) And the answer was no. I honestly believe that whoever answered the question on the Facebook page understood that the question was not about active careers. People are now arguing semantics because it's hard to believe that EA has dropped the ball this badly."
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited May 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Can you assign jobs to family members like we can in retail? Then, our chef sim could work, the clumsy sim could bus and the rest of the family could fill in.

This. In GTW retail, you can't "hire" your family, but they can still "manage" the store by performing all the same actions that a normal employee would. You don't actually ever have to hire a single employee. Perhaps it will be similar to that - where you can perform all the same work as a chef/hostess/waiter but not be "employed" as such. Obviously I have no inside sources and could be completely wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

And even if we can't do that (and I really hope we can, don't get me wrong), it looks like this GP will be far and above Restaurant Empire (which is an old game, I grant you, but still, it was an entire game solely focused on restaurants and I LOVED it back in the day). In that game, you couldn't directly control your employees either. But you could assign them to tasks and/or regions of the restaurant and have your chefs building skills in different types of dishes.

Bottom line: Let's not jump to conclusions until we get more info. They may just want to dispel the rumor that chef/waiter/hostess are going to be active careers like the Scientist/Doctor/Detective in GTW.

Or it could be you click on the stove and it says hire somebody and no other option.

And that's entirely possible. But my point is... let's wait until we have the info instead of letting dissatisfaction and annoyance get the better of us within less than 4 hours of the announcement. Not pointing fingers at anyone, just wanting to be positive.

The Sims statement was pretty clear. It said no.

It said no to the "can we work as chefs" question. Which could mean 2 things: 1 - can we be a chef in the restaurant (like as an active career) or 2 - can we perform the tasks of a chef. Like I said in GTW retail, you could do the work of an employee without actually being an employee. "Manage" also means different things to different people (i.e. those who like to micromanage and those who don't).

So again I say, let's wait until there's an actual unambiguous statement and not jump to conclusions yet. Also, like others have said, I don't see a point to the new "experimental foods" if there isn't a reason to use them...

I really hope this is the case and agree we should wait until we have more information. I am hoping that post meant we can't be a chef as an active career but that we can still do the work of an employee which if that is the case would be great because you could hire a chef and also cook yourself.

If we can hire a chef and cook ourselves then we would have the option of either being the cook or not. Like someone else said the last thing I want to do is for my Sim to HAVE to cook constantly and have no life. So again, I hope we have options.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Can't they technically work as a chef through one of the normal careers? I know it isn't an active career, but it would be interesting to see if Sims could help cook in the restaurant or not with cooking and other activities. I hope it is more than just managing the restaurant.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    0:44 Active sim is clearly host.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thetford wrote: »

We're talking about being a chef, though. Or did I miss something?

Also, the Get to Work trailer clearly showed patrons sitting and eating food. We all know how false that turned out to be.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2016

I'm going to go watch it again (tenth time) and pause it there to see if I see it. I missed it nine times but wasn't looking for it just looking at everything else.

ETA: @Thetford, maybe. I finally saw it but he is just standing there not sure that's a host interactions looks more like when they compliment each other or flirty with the hand up to the chest. But it's a top down view and far away from the Sim so could be staged to make it look like he is the host. But I can see how someone would believe the controlled Sim is the host at that moment.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I'm going to go watch it again (tenth time) and pause it there to see if I see it. I missed it nine times but wasn't looking for it just looking at everything else.

Here it is:

mbkuphR.png

Anyway, now I know I will definitely be waiting to hear some reviews before I purchase this GP. It's a shame when we can't just know we'll get something better than a 2006 EP or not.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    Well, we can't have everything.
    The Sims 4 new slogan.
    Might change it to.

Well, you can't have everthing

:tongue:
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Jordojord wrote: »

Me too, I'm more excited about the dining aspect than owning a restaurant. It will give our Sims more to do as a family.
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    Mmmm idk about this. Hopefully they add that ability really fast we have three weeks. I just don't understand how it couldn't have been included. Maybe it's a misunderstanding :|
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2016
    This doesn't sound that bad to me. I'm reserving judgment til it arrives. I do like the idea of owning a chain of restaurants like a franchise and truth be told the last thing I want to do is stand around cranking out dishes all day like in the bakery... I mean it might be fun to be the chef for a couple of hours game play but in the end it'll get tedious just like real restaurant work and I'm just going to leave it to an NPC anyway. I'm really looking forward to managing the shop and OWNING the shop. Sorry for those that really wanted to be a chef, though but in the end I don't think this is a real big deal and I don't think it'll make a lot of difference in play ability in the pack for me.
    I like the concept of owning various restaurants but I would like to work in one too. I will not be preordering or buying until there is a review or some gameplay reviews to see what this pack can actually do.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Well, maybe it's just me but I'm more excited about owning a restaurant instead of cooking food all day. You can set prices, design the place, hire people, just hang around, etc. and not be in the kitchen the entire day.

And of course, it's not about owning it, but taking your Sims to a restaurant and be a customer as well.
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    Let's just give it a couple more days and maybe someone will explain. They could easily add it in imo
  • Options
    Mmmm idk about this. Hopefully they add that ability really fast we have three weeks. I just don't understand how it couldn't have been included. Maybe it's a misunderstanding :|

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll add it due to complaints. Like how they added curved houseboats in Island Paradise. I know this isn't an EP and there isn't much time left for development... But one can only hope.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    What's the point in fishing if you can't craft the rod?
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    edited May 2016
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Zerbu just tweeted that he maybe mod this in, depending of how the whole system is coded.

I DON'T WANT A MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mods is what are saving Sims 4 anyway.

And also ruining it. I think EA is putting out insuffient packs knowing simmers will work their butts off creating mods.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    MysticOne wrote: »
    Zerbu just tweeted that he maybe mod this in, depending of how the whole system is coded.

And also ruining it. I think EA is putting out insuffient packs knowing simmers will work their butts off creating mods.
    Mods don't ruin the game if they are fixing bugs the patches break.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    MysticOne wrote: »

Mods don't ruin the game if they are fixing bugs the patches break.

And unlock items that were removed by patches like the Easter eggs
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    What's the point in fishing if you can't craft the rod?
    Cool idea.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited May 2016
    All I wanted was somewhere to take my sims for dinner, maybe watch them make googly eyes at one another (and have a child colour a mat) and eat. I never expected (or wanted) my sim to do every job in the place. Besides, it's the sims. You'd click on the stove, select the meal you wanted and watch them go through an animation. By the time you've seen a sim day of it, you're bored.

On that basis alone, I'm content.