Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lines of communication are opening up YAY!

Comments

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Expansion packs should be what the game sells most of and should get most advertisement. But so far we've got a half baked expansion and one nobody asked for. However I will cut Get Together some slack because it wound up getting some of the best praise and reviews since packs from sims 2. It was a very successful pack, but the advertisement for it was awful.

Not to nitpick or anything, but where are people getting this whole "best EP reception since TS2" bit from?

I've just looked up some reviews on it, and I'm seeing some TS3 EPs have not only sold more than it, but have gotten better reviews. Additionally, it seems bigger sites like IGN didn't even bother to review it, whereas they've reviewed many TS3 packs in the past.

Seems like it's more or less the same than anything else. I praise the developers for finally including some sandbox play content in TS4, but the EP itself wasn't that strong in my eyes.

I don't really have too many links or anything. I'm just saying it's gotten high praise from the community like alot of sims 2 packs.

I watched alot of reviews, just to quote lgr for example he said it's the most fun he's had with a sims game in a long time.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Expansion packs should be what the game sells most of and should get most advertisement. But so far we've got a half baked expansion and one nobody asked for. However I will cut Get Together some slack because it wound up getting some of the best praise and reviews since packs from sims 2. It was a very successful pack, but the advertisement for it was awful.

Not to nitpick or anything, but where are people getting this whole "best EP reception since TS2" bit from?

I've just looked up some reviews on it, and I'm seeing some TS3 EPs have not only sold more than it, but have gotten better reviews. Additionally, it seems bigger sites like IGN didn't even bother to review it, whereas they've reviewed many TS3 packs in the past.

Seems like it's more or less the same than anything else. I praise the developers for finally including some sandbox play content in TS4, but the EP itself wasn't that strong in my eyes.

I don't really have too many links or anything. I'm just saying it's gotten high praise from the community like alot of sims 2 packs.

I watched alot of reviews, just to quote lgr for example he said it's the most fun he's had with a sims game in a long time.

Ah, ok. I agree to an extent though, the clubs allowed for lots of freedom and control. Some which we never really had before. It'd be nice if they continuously improved AI with each EP.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Personally, I think GT is the best pack since Sims 2. But I had no idea others agree with me. Where are you getting your numbers and information from?
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    I bet they are going to announce that they have an announcement. lol. Then don't tell us anything until June...well at least they announced they have something to say sooner or later...

I would say you were really underwhelmed with the news of an announcement but I think back to the ask a Guru threads and I completely understand.

Yeah when @SimGuruDrake said she'd answer questions the day they make the announcement I kept thinking it's just going to end up a lot of 'I can't talk about that' like the Ask a Guru was.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    @MocaJava Exactly! Someone should just directly ask a Guru on what they can talk about to get straight to the point rather then having responses like "We can't talk about the game, The teaser trailer, the teaser trailer to the trailer, the trailer trailer, we can't talk about the stuff pack, the game pack, the expansion pack, my brand new fanny pack". Then I would ask "Well what can you talk about" and they would be like "Did you know The Sims 4 was made by Maxis?!?" Uhh....
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member

Yeah he said its the most fun he had with TS4. Which says a lot for us older Simmers.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    @MocaJava Exactly! Someone should just directly ask a Guru on what they can talk about to get straight to the point rather then having responses like "We can't talk about the game, The teaser trailer, the teaser trailer to the trailer, the trailer trailer, we can't talk about the stuff pack, the game pack, the expansion pack, my brand new fanny pack". Then I would ask "Well what can you talk about" and they would be like "Did you know The Sims 4 was made by Maxis?!?" Uhh....

We can talk about stuff that is already out or is officially announced (teaser trailers are a gray area where we can discuss what is shown in them but can't talk more until additional information has already been officially stated --these are not the same as launch trailers though). We cannot talk about future content until it has been announced.

SimGuruGraham talks a lot about development and the process on what goes into stuff packs if you're really interested in picking his brain about that :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited April 2016
    Well so much for the possibility about finding out if toddler will ever be returning to the game next week, unless they officially announce them next week. :/
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    @SimGuruDrake

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to answer this but if you could respond with "I can't talk about that." I would appreciate it.

Do you know what things seem to have changed so much since Sims 3 and before. I felt like we got a lot more information about upcoming packs/store stuff in the past. Did EA/Maxis just change their policy on how content is to be discussed? If so is that only for the Sims franchise or all it's games?

Thanks so much. :)

Also I know we can be frustrated and upset but I think all of us sensible people know that this would be hire ups in the corporation that make these decisions and not you. So I'm sorry if people are yelling/being mean to you guys.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options

We can talk about stuff that is already out or is officially announced (teaser trailers are a gray area where we can discuss what is shown in them but can't talk more until additional information has already been officially stated --these are not the same as launch trailers though). We cannot talk about future content until it has been announced.

SimGuruGraham talks a lot about development and the process on what goes into stuff packs if you're really interested in picking his brain about that :)

In other words, if they don't announce toddlers coming Tuesday, they're not going to tell us whether they're ever coming or not. So best not to bother asking.
  • Options

Thank you for clearing that up for us SimGuruDrake! <3

• Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    @SimGuruDrake, If the team forsure would not be able to Implement an object or animation In game, as always, will you or any member of the team be able to forsurely answer that question with a Yes or No?
  • Options
    poppykoke wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake, If the team forsure would not be able to Implement an object or animation In game, as always, will you or any member of the team be able to forsurely answer that question with a Yes or No?

I don't work in development so I would never be able to give that kind of answer but if it was never ever ever ever ever ever going to even in the slightest bit happen at any point ever in the game we would be able to give you an answer.

But you get into a weird area, an example of this would be if we said X is never going to happen and then 2 or 3 years later we decide to do X but during that 2 to 3 years we said Y wasn't going to happen either but we ended up making X happen despite us saying 2 or 3 years ago that it wouldn't ever happen then those who wanted Y would be like "Well you made X happen even though you said it wouldn't so why aren't you doing Y?!"

We'd rather not speak in absolutes unless we know that we never plan to explore something.
    Thank You for clearing that part up too SimGuruDrake! <3

• Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited April 2016
    poppykoke wrote: »

I don't work in development so I would never be able to give that kind of answer but if it was never ever ever ever ever ever going to even in the slightest bit happen at any point ever in the game we would be able to give you an answer.

But you get into a weird area, an example of this would be if we said X is never going to happen and then 2 or 3 years later we decide to do X but during that 2 to 3 years we said Y wasn't going to happen either but we ended up making X happen despite us saying 2 or 3 years ago that it wouldn't ever happen then those who wanted Y would be like "Well you made X happen even though you said it wouldn't so why aren't you doing Y?!"

We'd rather not speak in absolutes unless we know that we never plan to explore something.

@SimGuruDrake

7kNeZ4.gif200.gif

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"
  • Options
    MocaJava wrote: »

In other words, if they don't announce toddlers coming Tuesday, they're not going to tell us whether they're ever coming or not. So best not to bother asking.
    No not true! In SimGuruDrake's last posted comment on here. They will be able to tell us for certain if toddlers will never ever be in Sims 4.

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I wonder what time the info will be posted. My guess is 10am pacific 1pm eastern.
  • Options
    I wonder what time the info will be posted. My guess is 10am pacific 1pm eastern.
    Most likely! Unless they run into some technical problems that would delay their posting. Which could very well end up happening on that day, and at that time. But lets hope that that never happens. :)

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Most likely! Unless they run into some technical problems that would delay their posting. Which could very well end up happening on that day, and at that time. But lets hope that that never happens. :)

Let's hope that doesn't happen.
  • Options

Let's hope that doesn't happen.
    Amen to that CLP! o:)

• Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    @SimGuruDrake

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to answer this but if you could respond with "I can't talk about that." I would appreciate it.

Do you know what things seem to have changed so much since Sims 3 and before. I felt like we got a lot more information about upcoming packs/store stuff in the past. Did EA/Maxis just change their policy on how content is to be discussed? If so is that only for the Sims franchise or all it's games?

Also I know we can be frustrated and upset but I think all of us sensible people know that this would be hire ups in the corporation that make these decisions and not you. So I'm sorry if people are yelling/being mean to you guys.

I have not been at the company long (will only be a year on May 4 --GIF party that day?! Yes? YES!) but SimGuruGraham provided a simplified version of what we essentially deal with regarding communications (I'm keeping the original comment he was responding to otherwise it sounds weird):
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    @SimGuruDrake

I have not been at the company long (will only be a year on May 4 --GIF party that day?! Yes? YES!) but SimGuruGraham provided a simplified version of what we essentially deal with regarding communications (I'm keeping the original comment he was responding to otherwise it sounds weird):
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.

Thank you for answering this. But am I the only one here who did not understand a thing from what Graham said here?
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    @SimGuruDrake yes i want a gif party!!
    GwsisoYw68WFa.gif
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MocaJava wrote: »

No not true! In SimGuruDrake's last posted comment on here. They will be able to tell us for certain if toddlers will never ever be in Sims 4.

How I read it was that they probably wouldn't because if they said for instance, 'we'll never be able to do toddlers or pets' and then they eventually came out with pets, people would be furious they couldn't manage toddlers as well. I'm guessing they'd rather err on the side of caution and just not comment at all. But who knows, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    MinnieMouseMinnieMouse Posts: 262 Member
    > @halimali1980 said:
    > Thank you for answering this. But am I the only one here who did not understand a thing from what Graham said here?

@halimali1980 what Graham is saying is that they cannot announce or talk about future free content unless they are 100% sure they can release it in the same quarter. Otherwise it has an adverse impact on their financials. So basically, if they are planning to release toddlers as a free patch someday, we won't hear about it until they know for certain they can release it within the same quarter.

My speculation (pure speculation here, obviously) is that they are working on or planning to work on toddlers as a free patch. That's why they won't tell us no or rule it out. But they can't confirm that they're working on them until it's almost time to release because of the above reasons. Which frustrates a lot of people because they feel like the team isn't being open, where in reality, the team's hands are tied and they simply cannot say anything (no matter how much they want to). But again... those are just my (optimistic) thoughts.