Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lines of communication are opening up YAY!

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited April 2016
    Scobre wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Maxis has been releasing free content alongside paid content since The Sims... why so complex now? ... don't care- it's an excuse to me.

Things are not the same as they were back in The Sims, The Sims 2, or even The Sims 3 days. The way things were done then are not how they are done now as regulations and legal rules change / are added / removed.

Wow- laws on not 'leaking' game information to customers- never heard of it but it's not the loop I live in. Yes, everything changes and yet stays the same- except now we are consider ... blah, not worth it.
    I have from a couple of gaming artists. It is called a non-disclosure agreement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

I have to follow a type of non-disclosure agreement too at my work which is a lot harsher than gaming ones because it could lead me to jail if broken.

A NDA is simply a civil contract between you and a company where you agree to not talk about something. If you break it then they can go to court and impose civil pentalties as defined in the contract (I.e. they can sue you). Other examples of civil contracts are rent contracts/agreements. :)

While the law does vary in different countries I'm pretty sure they are always a civil matter. Which means that have nothing to do with the law and you don't go to jail if you break them. :)
    Or just fire you, and leave it at that. Yes I have also worked under NDA before!

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Maxis has been releasing free content alongside paid content since The Sims... why so complex now? ... don't care- it's an excuse to me.

Things are not the same as they were back in The Sims, The Sims 2, or even The Sims 3 days. The way things were done then are not how they are done now as regulations and legal rules change / are added / removed.

Thanks for the explanation. Not everyone thinks you're making excuses.

I wasn't thinking that SimGuruDrake was just making up excuses! Why would anyone think that she was? What could SimGuruDrake possibly be making up excuses for?

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @sunman502 wrote: »

I wasn't thinking that SimGuruDrake was just making up excuses! Why would anyone think that she was? What could SimGuruDrake possibly be making up excuses for?

She is referring to me. :)

I feel they're just tossing out excuses- not SGD or the lower echelons but ...

Yeah, I saw that just before hitting the post button. And I was like well why would you say that? Especially since you have been a member of this community for a very long time like I have.
    SGD or any of the other SimGurus are just caught up in the middle of this. Some of us forget that the SimGurus are just messengers carrying a message. No one blames the postman just because they bring them some bad news, do they? And that's what some of us have been doing to the SimsGurus when one of them passes on some bad news. And that's all that SGD was just doing here, she was just passing on the message to us is all. Except that she wasn't delivering bad news to us. She was delivering some good news to us. We should all be celebrating over the good news that has been delivered to us.
    I'm thinking what woke EA up was that what has been said lately about them enforcing their NDA policy on the SG's for no reason what so ever on here. An a EA Rep must have read those relayed them back to their boss. And that started the ball rolling this time. I've always been on the side of the SG's as well because they have no more control over this than anyone of us. So I don't think that it's an excuse at all. I think that's EA caving in under the pressure of the community.

• TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »

Yeah, I saw that just before hitting the post button. And I was like well why would you say that? Especially since you have been a member of this community for a very long time like I have.
    SGD or any of the other SimGurus are just caught up in the middle of this. Some of us forget that the SimGurus are just messengers carrying a message. No one blames the postman just because they bring them some bad news, do they? And that's what some of us have been doing to the SimsGurus when one of them passes on some bad news. And that's all that SGD was just doing here, she was just passing on the message to us is all. Except that she wasn't delivering bad news to us. She was delivering some good news to us. We should all be celebrating over the good news that has been delivered to us.
    I'm thinking what woke EA up was that what has been said lately about them enforcing their NDA policy on the SG's for no reason what so ever on here. An a EA Rep must have read those relayed them back to their boss. And that started the ball rolling this time. I've always been on the side of the SG's as well because they have no more control over this than anyone of us. So I don't think that it's an excuse at all. I think that's EA caving in under the pressure of the community.

I always see people saying "don't blame the sims gurus", but I never really see anybody actually blaming the gurus. I see a lot of people blaming EA or management but never the gurus?

Then I read more than you did... :)

We all do that on here from time to time Rf! ;)

Lol~ I am glad they activated the quote compression on this forum. I remember when it used to be a pain, right? :lol:

I always see people saying "don't blame the sims gurus", but I never really see anybody actually blaming the gurus. I see a lot of people blaming EA or management but never the gurus?
    They really don't! If they do, they really don't mean to. And on top of that, I believe that it's against Forums to knowingly attack the SG's. So I'm hoping that no one is purposely blaming the SG's on here because that can be considered as being against the rules here.

Lol~ I am glad they activated the quote compression on this forum. I remember when it used to be a pain, right? :lol:
    I remember those days too. Man, talk about utter chaos! :D

• BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

Can't wait to see or hear what new content is coming up. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    Can't wait to see or hear what new content is coming up. :)
    You are certainly not alone in that on here BlkBarbiegal! ;)

• AllisasAllisas Posts: 48 Member
    edited April 2016
    Aine wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.

That's is very interesting, thanks for explaining. :)

It doesn't explain the rigorous code of silence you guys have to deal with though, but that is probably part of things you can't discuss, so that's a topic for another time I suppose.

SO basically there is tons of stuff Maxis as a company could say, but haven't. Hopefully that will change going forward. @SimGuruDrake should have tons of props for hearing us, and also whoever made the decision inside Maxis (I'm not sure who's in charge for the sims these days). ;)

To add to this:

We are silent about things not because we don't want to share things with you (WE REALLY REALLY WANT TO!) We just want to be sure that when we tell you about things you are able to get the information and content as close together as possible.

But we are also acknowledging with what I guess you could call a "new communication strategy", which will kick off on Tuesday so I won't go into tooo much detail on this particular subject yet but will be happy to answer the questions I can next week!, that you'd like to have some information about content prior to the official announcements so you can "plan your purchases ahead of time" (and I'm paraphrasing the quoted text since I can't remember who said it in what thread).

As SimGuruGraham mentioned: Things are slightly more complex for us because we launch new free content alongside the paid content.

I guess this (bolded part) is what it all boils down to. I, and many of us players, have no clue why you want to be sure to release the content and the information as close together as possible. We'd love to get at least the theme, or the name, of the next pack months in advance to get excited about it, like in the old days. If you need to keep silent about free content then go ahead, a few surprises are also very nice. :wink: To get back to the bolded part, can you tell us why that's so important to you?

Aside from this, I'm totally stoked for Tuesday! :smiley:
    Allisas wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.

That's is very interesting, thanks for explaining. :)

It doesn't explain the rigorous code of silence you guys have to deal with though, but that is probably part of things you can't discuss, so that's a topic for another time I suppose.

SO basically there is tons of stuff Maxis as a company could say, but haven't. Hopefully that will change going forward. @SimGuruDrake should have tons of props for hearing us, and also whoever made the decision inside Maxis (I'm not sure who's in charge for the sims these days). ;)

To add to this:

We are silent about things not because we don't want to share things with you (WE REALLY REALLY WANT TO!) We just want to be sure that when we tell you about things you are able to get the information and content as close together as possible.

But we are also acknowledging with what I guess you could call a "new communication strategy", which will kick off on Tuesday so I won't go into tooo much detail on this particular subject yet but will be happy to answer the questions I can next week!, that you'd like to have some information about content prior to the official announcements so you can "plan your purchases ahead of time" (and I'm paraphrasing the quoted text since I can't remember who said it in what thread).

As SimGuruGraham mentioned: Things are slightly more complex for us because we launch new free content alongside the paid content.

I guess this (bolded part) is what it all boils down to. I, and many of us players, have no clue why you want to be sure to release the content and the information as close together as possible. We'd love to get at least the theme, or the name, of the next pack months in advance to get excited about it, like in the old days. If you need to keep silent about free content then go ahead, a few surprises are also very nice. :wink: To get back to the bolded part, can you tell us why that's so important to you?

Aside from this, I'm totally stoked for Tuesday! :smiley:
    Back in the Sims 3 days, we use to get a nice surprise every now and then. It's fantastic that a bit more info on future contents will be shared in the weeks ahead. But I don't want to know all of it, I want a little info held back. Because knowing about all of it will spoil the surprise. I just want to see line of communication on future game contents like what we had back in the Sims 3 days restored is all. :)

• EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    Great news!! I can't help but commenting on such a good piece of information like this :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm so exited now!!!!! I can't wait for this!!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited April 2016
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    My guess is that it's the result of fewer and fewer people actually playing TS4. Since it's tied to Origin, they can easily track that.

This is the result of my communication with all of you and your desires to know what to expect. This isn't something that just happened in a day, it has been in the works and had always been planned to go out on that date :)

It would be nice if the team that works on the game could open the lines of communications though. You've said plenty of times you don't handle that area. I know many people appreciate you coming here, but some of us want direct information about the game and as long as you keep this same policy the problem wont get solved.

The thing I really wonder is if they will be opening 'the lines of communication' about important subjects such as toddlers too. I doubt it.

I don't even agree with the statement in the first place. I don't think SimGuruDrake is "opening the lines" of communication. She is doing the same thing all gurus have been doing on Twitter, but in the forums. We never get real information. They announce a SP a week before selling it, announce GPs two weeks before selling them. I won't even mention EPs , because they seem to have the most unorganized team working on them. It gets delayed, it has a thousand bugs, trailers are misguiding (GTW) , they don't seem to be about popular demand (GT was a risk) , we've had 2 expansion packs and only one included a decent world. I'm sorry but in GTW you can totally tell the game wasnt executed properly.

SPs are pretty good though. I feel like they have a good team working on them, but SPs can't, well, shouldn't be the game's strong suit.

I honestly don't have a clue who played a role in the announcement of an announcement of an announcement for future content to be announced in coming months (lol) we will, of course, pay for, and are just so entitled to have received.

But I do think strongly agree they need to clean up the huge mess of leaving fans in the dark for so long. Giving us clutter in the form of stuff packs with an extra animation dubbed as "gameplay" is not an excuse to just leave us hanging for more, real content and gameplay with actual depth.

To EA & Co. : Don't shove a DLC window in my face by inserting, without my permission, a literal shiny button (that does not go away until I click) in my UI unless you have some quality DLC to offer me, and some decent organization for future releases

It's a good thing Get Together came out 4 months ago! Best public reception of a pack since the Sims 2 days! :D

Huh? Lol on what planet? Several of the sims 3 expansions sold quite a bit more than Get Together........I have no idea where you get all your figures.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I kind of feel like this decision was unplanned, and made as a result of the unrest of the fans.

If so, good.

I don't think it was a coincidence that she decided to release this statement after the "leak" from Latom......
    edited April 2016
    Schantal wrote: »
    My guess is that it's the result of fewer and fewer people actually playing TS4. Since it's tied to Origin, they can easily track that.

This is the result of my communication with all of you and your desires to know what to expect. This isn't something that just happened in a day, it has been in the works and had always been planned to go out on that date :)

It would be nice if the team that works on the game could open the lines of communications though. You've said plenty of times you don't handle that area. I know many people appreciate you coming here, but some of us want direct information about the game and as long as you keep this same policy the problem wont get solved.

The thing I really wonder is if they will be opening 'the lines of communication' about important subjects such as toddlers too. I doubt it.

I don't even agree with the statement in the first place. I don't think SimGuruDrake is "opening the lines" of communication. She is doing the same thing all gurus have been doing on Twitter, but in the forums. We never get real information. They announce a SP a week before selling it, announce GPs two weeks before selling them. I won't even mention EPs , because they seem to have the most unorganized team working on them. It gets delayed, it has a thousand bugs, trailers are misguiding (GTW) , they don't seem to be about popular demand (GT was a risk) , we've had 2 expansion packs and only one included a decent world. I'm sorry but in GTW you can totally tell the game wasnt executed properly.

SPs are pretty good though. I feel like they have a good team working on them, but SPs can't, well, shouldn't be the game's strong suit.

I honestly don't have a clue who played a role in the announcement of an announcement of an announcement for future content to be announced in coming months (lol) we will, of course, pay for, and are just so entitled to have received.

But I do think strongly agree they need to clean up the huge mess of leaving fans in the dark for so long. Giving us clutter in the form of stuff packs with an extra animation dubbed as "gameplay" is not an excuse to just leave us hanging for more, real content and gameplay with actual depth.

To EA & Co. : Don't shove a DLC window in my face by inserting, without my permission, a literal shiny button (that does not go away until I click) in my UI unless you have some quality DLC to offer me, and some decent organization for future releases

It's a good thing Get Together came out 4 months ago! Best public reception of a pack since the Sims 2 days! :D

Huh? Lol on what planet? Several of the sims 3 expansions sold quite a bit more than Get Together........I have no idea where you get all your figures.

So very true. It's not even a good pack at all, it's just an "okayish" one, not to mention it had the most horrible plublic reception thanks to the marketing team that did a really bad job promoting the pack.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The NDA's are one thing - but Maxis management enforcing a certain communication policy is another matter completely - it has to do with what they make money on. In simple terms - it's about corporate greed. They can drum whatever they want into their employees that they can't do this or that, but the truth is, other companies have completely different communication with fans and customers, so something is not adding up. They are not telling the whole story. Ofcourse I don't blame the Guru's - they can only say what management tell them to say.
    Clearly something is lacking in the development side of things if Maxis can't do what other companies can. Nobody is stopping them, it's a choice they made themselves. Maybe it's some lawyer that has way too much say what goes on in game development, maybe it's about resources, or maybe it's about someone wanting to climb the corporate ladder. Maybe it's a little of everything. Who knows.

It seems to me they are complicating things because they are looking at it only from a business perspective, and very little from a creative perspective. When you cage creativity, the end result is mostly lacking. Creativity has to be free, or you are basically killing it.
    It is possible to blend business thinking and creativity - lots of companies have done it. EA/Maxis doesn't seem to be very good at it at the moment, judging from the product of the Sims. You can clearly see the boxed in creativity. The fear or losing revenue bleeds through the production of the game. It's sad because they could do so much money from a game like the sims, if they weren't so afraid, if they did it right. Basically it's a concept that shouldn't be able to fail. They really have to f things up to make that happen. So if they just opened up the gates a tiiiiny bit, they'd probably be fine. Although changing a corporation is like moving a mountain - it takes alot of time and effort.

One thing that does help is us simmers - the more we complain and voice our concerns, the better chance the employees of Maxis has of impacting the management. In a way, by not accepting the situation and by giving constructive feedback, we are helping out.

I'm sure there are alot more things to consider, and many things we don't know about, but that's my take on it. :)

Totally bang on. Couldn't agree more @Aine

@Rflong7 I guess it's different because this time they released the base before it was ready-so if they have this rule with tax it may make it more complicated? I don't even know any more but I know what you are trying to get at.

It just goes to show how the customer continually suffers from that. Its not just affecting the initial time after release but it's dragging into years. If they had told us this in those initial blogs when they promised better communication not less of it then I wouldn't have bought. I would have waited. My mistake to give the benefit of the doubt to EA I suppose-but it certainly doesn't foster good business relationships moving into the future having that realisation!

This talk about 'blaming' gurus. Most people I know don't. They are well aware that these sorts of issues stem from upper management policies. I only wish Maxis/EA had made a real effort to show a clear difference in approach after the experience with SC2013.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Schantal wrote: »

So very true. It's not even a good pack at all, it's just an "okayish" one, not to mention it had the most horrible plublic reception thanks to the marketing team that did a really bad job promoting the pack.

I think the reception was partially the 'dancing and selfies' which got everyone wound up. I had to laugh at that though, I have seen some things in my time but that was one of those 'what were they thinking?' moments of last year.

2015, the year of selfies. :#
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    All this openness is getting me super excited for The Sims 4! I really hope they'll talk about the next expansion in addition of the next gamepack.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Gaming is not what it used to be, and it is correct EA/Maxis has changed their way of doing business with it's customers before Sims 4 came out. Everything changed, the glorious days when one can get pumped when they got info on new and upcoming products and EA/Maxis was happy to share it are gone. The news that they are willing to share just do not have that same vibe and it is more like "Here is your info you all been waiting for". Well anyway we will find out what we will be getting next week and hopefully it is good.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen