Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Improve Gallery Pictures

Comments

• Options
    cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    I haven't read the threat thoroughly so I'm not sure if someone already sugested this.
    But maybe it is possible to add a button, while saving the lot, that then will change to the cinematic camera to take your own preview picture.
    Kind off like the one for rooms.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Options
    NelcaRedNelcaRed Posts: 322 Member
    Hello, I haven't read through this threat carefully so sorry if I'm off. But I have some ideas!
    My first Idea is automatically having higher graphics when taking the photo. So if you didn't know, when taking a thumbnail photo in the gallery, the system had to be in the highest graphic settings to make the photo look pleasing. It may cause tons of lag for smaller computers, so I'm thinking of having a default camera taking the photo in high quality as an option. For the stronger computers, players have the ability to scroll around the house and take its custom photo.

Ok, 2nd Idea! Players should have the freedom to change the description after it is posted to the gallery. Also, if possible, let players change their photos after it was posted.

3rd idea! Better picture of the house at night time. Most of the time, players can't see the house even when the windows are illuminated. Some goes to far to adding light around the building just to make it appear at night. The picture should be brighten enough to see the house, if not make better lighting around the house.

4th Idea! This idea closely corresponds with changing the day time. But instead of changing from only 4 times (Morning, Afternoon, Sunset, Night) Let players change the hour of the game so the players can take a picture at the perfect timing.

5th Idea, This is optional, but let players change the filter of the photo.

6th Idea, Let players control the brightness of the photos. Some houses (especially modern ones) are codded with white. It makes it very hard to see, but if you tone down the brightness, players are able to see the house more clearly.

7th Idea, Let players change the walls. In Sims 4, we have 3 walls (Invincible, Slightly Invincible and Not Invincible). This is to show the interior more clearly without walls blocking the shots.

8th Idea, Show Decorations that hang on the wall (Paintings) when taking the photo. This closely relates to the 7th idea, but if the 7th idea is not developed than show the decorations that hang on the walls even when the walls are invincible.

9th Idea, Let players change the day cycle in DIFFERENT PHOTOS. For example, have a house show in daytime and night time if the player chooses it.

10th Idea, Let players control if they can see inside the windows or not (Possibly add color like black, gray or white). So modern houses looks much better when the window is blank and some traditional houses looks good with windows that are able to see inside.

Sorry if I'm a little bit off with my ideas. Please support my campaign #MaxisDestroyedMe and please visit me in my gallery!

Thank you!
  • Options
    ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    great ideals @NelcaRed
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Options
    SpicyfaceSpicyface Posts: 32 Member
    I agree, really excellent ideas @NelcaRed
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    I really love all of these ideas. =)
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @crysk Yes, an option like the one for the room camera would fit well with option 1 (if we can take our own shots) or option 3 (if we need to select from pre-sets). That is definitely the type of UI button we're looking for though, either way. :)

Hello @NelcaRed. Interesting observation with regard to the quality of the images in default shots being tied to graphic settings. I think it's a good suggestion, provided that it could be toggled on and off in the background like that, without issues.

I understand the desire to alter the description or image(s) after the creation is posted, but I can also see negative issues with being able to do so, particularly when it comes to images. I think that they need to be set during the saving process in order to avoid post-processing. If you could change them after the fact, it gets back to what you might insert in their place and more CC flagging (which we are trying to avoid).

I'm not sure regarding your third idea. I think this gets more into how the devs have chosen to implement lighting in the game, such as the way each world has its own lighting hues that change the apparent color of various wall styles. It's a topic worth discussing, and we have done so in the past in our Build Mode Feedback thread, so I'd refer you there to talk about night lighting. I will say that most of the houses I've seen on the gallery pictured at night look as I'd expect a house to look at night, depending upon where and how the builder has chosen to place lighting. If you want more of the house's color/texture/etc. to show up, then it's best to go into live mode, and do your save at some point during the transition from evening to night.

Regarding your 4th idea, really, we can already do that for the existing gallery images as a group (not individually, but asking for the ability to do so individually has come up). Simply move a play tester sim onto the lot and play in live mode until the lighting is to your preference. Then hop into build mode and save the lot.

I will add your request to apply filters. They should be able to use the GTW photo system to do it. I would definitely see that as a nice-to-have though. I think your 6th idea kind of goes with the 5th, in that it would probably be more of a nice-to-have than a must-have. Also, if you use live mode to advance through different times of day, you can usually find one where the lighting is toned down a bit; usually morning or evening, depending upon the orientation of the home.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking for on #7. Do you want to control whether the walls are shown up or down? You could of course do this with the options we have proposed except option 3. Yes, I think your #8 corresponds with #7 and should be covered by most of the options we have listed.

I think the 9th idea would be tough to implement for a live shot system, but it has been requested, and we've talked about maybe using the same toggle that's in build mode.

I think #10 is a cool idea, but I can't even imagine how they would code that without actually adding new windows/window types. I think it kind of goes beyond the scope of this particular request.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    LordDarthSimsLordDarthSims Posts: 1,306 Member
    #7 don't you mean Invisible, partially Invisible, and Not Invisible, Invisible mean you can't see, Invinceble means you can't get hurt.
    NelcaRed wrote: »
    Hello, I haven't read through this threat carefully so sorry if I'm off. But I have some ideas!
    My first Idea is automatically having higher graphics when taking the photo. So if you didn't know, when taking a thumbnail photo in the gallery, the system had to be in the highest graphic settings to make the photo look pleasing. It may cause tons of lag for smaller computers, so I'm thinking of having a default camera taking the photo in high quality as an option. For the stronger computers, players have the ability to scroll around the house and take its custom photo.

Ok, 2nd Idea! Players should have the freedom to change the description after it is posted to the gallery. Also, if possible, let players change their photos after it was posted.

3rd idea! Better picture of the house at night time. Most of the time, players can't see the house even when the windows are illuminated. Some goes to far to adding light around the building just to make it appear at night. The picture should be brighten enough to see the house, if not make better lighting around the house.

4th Idea! This idea closely corresponds with changing the day time. But instead of changing from only 4 times (Morning, Afternoon, Sunset, Night) Let players change the hour of the game so the players can take a picture at the perfect timing.

5th Idea, This is optional, but let players change the filter of the photo.

6th Idea, Let players control the brightness of the photos. Some houses (especially modern ones) are codded with white. It makes it very hard to see, but if you tone down the brightness, players are able to see the house more clearly.

7th Idea, Let players change the walls. In Sims 4, we have 3 walls (Invincible, Slightly Invincible and Not Invincible). This is to show the interior more clearly without walls blocking the shots.

8th Idea, Show Decorations that hang on the wall (Paintings) when taking the photo. This closely relates to the 7th idea, but if the 7th idea is not developed than show the decorations that hang on the walls even when the walls are invincible.

9th Idea, Let players change the day cycle in DIFFERENT PHOTOS. For example, have a house show in daytime and night time if the player chooses it.

10th Idea, Let players control if they can see inside the windows or not (Possibly add color like black, gray or white). So modern houses looks much better when the window is blank and some traditional houses looks good with windows that are able to see inside.

Sorry if I'm a little bit off with my ideas. Please support my campaign #MaxisDestroyedMe and please visit me in my gallery!

Thank you!

• Options
    emberelfemberelf Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've been reading through all these posts, and I may be repeating what has been said throughout these posts but here goes: the easiest fix (imo) would be for the devs to add a feature like what they have for uploading rooms to the gallery. This being the camera button where you can click through different picture options until you find one you can tolerate. I would add an improvement to this for lot uploads by suggesting the following:

1. Add the camera button for each of the 4 pictures that come with a lot upload (ie. front, side, 1-3 floors, basement views) All the devs would need to do is to add 3 or 4 different camera view options per gallery pic of the upload. I don't see how this would be very difficult to incorporate, as this already exists for room uploads to the gallery.

2. An optimal option for builders would be for us to have our own control of camera angles when taking pics. I realize that this might not be as easy for the devs to implement as with my first suggestion. I am not suggesting on using 3rd party software to modify our pics, just let us have more in game options for choosing our pics. We want to show off our creativity with out best features highlighted o:)

Post edited by emberelf on
  • Options
    NadiabeeeeNadiabeeee Posts: 91 Member
    Thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Well someone figured it out. I flipped when I saw it browsing the gallery tonight.

https://thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/ED7448B2DDFF11E582B56B769642F2F7?

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Actually @GoddessSims, that's an older download that Maxis must have missed when they were doing retroactive marking of lots.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    ChrissieYorkChrissieYork Posts: 10 New Member
    Yes! I'm mainly a builder on the Sims and I'm constantly annoyed with the gallery shots of some of my builds. Being able to choose what shot should go up on the gallery would be great!

If you'd like to see some of my builds please go check out www.mysims4buids.blogspot.co.za I'm currently doing a Before & After build series and I would love the hear some suggestions as to what house/community lot I should renovate next.

Thanks!
  • Options
    SheriBabySheriBaby Posts: 72 Member
    Thank you for sharing this! I need some more filming tips too as far as settings to get good pictures and things I can do after in my video editor too. If you know where to point me that would be awesome! <3
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited May 2016
    One improvement for saving/uploading lots would be to hide neighboring buildings and trees. I have one home in my Gallery that has a sign that's attached to the building across the street visible in the photo. And another lot has a big old tree smack dab in the middle of it. Why? What were they thinking? I want a picture of my lot and only the lot when saving and sharing.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    Just a quick post to caution people - I see that there are some new uploads coming through that have likely had their images generated by a new version of the Tray Importer tool. They are not being flagged CC. While it would be tempting to use the tool again, for those creators wanting to retain a CC free designation, I would not advise it. Maxis will very likely revise/add code to flag the new images too and may well do retroactive flagging again. I personally don't want to go through all that again...
  • Options
    SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    Thank you for letting us know @BryonyRae ! I don't think I will be using Tray Importer again, even if it has been fixed. I seem to be a prime target for EA =_=
  • Options
    GozeppelinGozeppelin Posts: 96 Member
    I could do without rolling dice for gallery poses.
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    I'm definitely a fan of choosing what is the "front of a lot" and I think the simplest most realistic option would be to choose from several preset angles for the images... I would also like to be able to at least edit the description after they've been uploaded. I often forget or think of new hashtags/descriptions for my lots and would like to change that without removing, then reuploading lots or uploading duplicates just for the sake of the description...

As far as the 30x20 lot size dilemma goes, I was not aware that Windenburg had lot orientations that would address this... I might reupload a lot just so I get the angles I want for it w/ the 30 as the front... Thanks for the tip, lol
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I don't see why the game can't just let you access Screenshots you've taken in-game and let you choose one of those! Full support for changing this to be more builder-friendly!
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    I don't see why the game can't just let you access Screenshots you've taken in-game and let you choose one of those! Full support for changing this to be more builder-friendly!

I guess it's because you could put any image in that folder (including X-rated ones) and post them to the gallery. This is why Tray Importer ones are flagged as CC... Because it auto-hides them from standard gallery view.
  • Options
    NekoEsmahhNekoEsmahh Posts: 37 Member
    For sims 3D rotation would be awesome!
  • Options
    AudGirl9000AudGirl9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks for doing this! Yes, I agree. I think that there is room for improvement on the gallery photos for lots. As you said, sometimes the pictures don't work well at all with a particular build.
    2i796r4.jpg

SailorDrew on Youtube || Origin & Steam ID: SailorDrew || Recent Project: Save Money on Sims 4
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @EmmaVane - Hmm, that's true. I guess it would be better if they added a special build-only camera that stores the image files only temporarily while you're uploading your lot.
  • Options
    CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I would like it if we could add screenshots to it. Without it coming up as a custom content lot. However I wouldn't mind having to take the picture of what the rooms look/looked like.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • Options
    NelcaRedNelcaRed Posts: 322 Member
    I say the only only thing that makes me angry is the fact the Maxis marked many of my builds CC. I may excuse them for removing the try importer but for god sake, don't remove our creations with it. If they will ever update sims 4 with a new camera, they must remove all CC on my houses!