Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Updating the EARLY EA worlds: Inspiration lottery -- winners announced!

Comments

• Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    @StephSteb – glad to hear you're still interested in contributing. There's about a week and a half left before the deadline, so there's plenty of time. I can definitely understand getting sidetracked by other projects—that's always happening to me! Thanks for the compliments. I look forward to seeing your entry! :smile:
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi, Kelly. I found a new mod I love made by AussomeDays at ModtheSims and her husband LoganDownUnder. It allows multiple entry and exit points from rabbit holes. So, it meant making over the schools a bit so there was more room around the entrances and exits. That lead to me leveling the lot and finding that I could actually delete the stairs and then use CFE to level the lot, leaving the RH in place. Of course, grabbing it and letting go might be required if ends up floating as a result.

I have always hated all those stairs at city hall.
    screenshot-18-e1455218771753.jpg
    Presto. level lot with RH in place. Nice! Maybe you've done that before.

It also always bothered me that the taxis would drop off sims on the side of the library.
    So, in addition to getting rid of the stairs which led to in and out stroller time...
    screenshot-10-e1455219197937.jpg
    They now have an entrance and walkway from the side where the taxis stop.
    screenshot-8-e1455219208146.jpg
    I also add potty chairs to the bathrooms and move the distracting toys outside.
    screenshot-14-e1455219178907.jpg
    I usually try to keep everything the original had - all book cases, chairs, and tables.
    The lot is here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8847205
    But it doesn't have pics added. (I basically rebuilt this one in the same location, just keeping all the stuff.)

I do the same thing to the gym. I play with the roof levels, but there is no second floor.
    screenshot-6-e1455219151615.jpg
    Its side patio gets stairs and a walkway added to the side where the taxis often stop.
    screenshot-4-e1455219136391.jpg
    I make the indoor pool a bit smaller and move everything down from the upper level.
    screenshot-81-e1455219165115.jpg

More pics with lot here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8847437

I do the same thing to the art museum. It just seemed like they wasted the whole first floor.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8847433
    roof_up_original.jpg

Maybe, you see something else you might want to try.

I was playing in Lucky Palms and redid the spa there to add the outdoor tub/sauna and massage tables, but as that's not one of your worlds listed... no pics for you.

Have an awesome day. We have outside weather and I am enjoying it.

Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    thereesespiecethereesespiece Posts: 614 Member
    I'm no good at this kind of stuff but I just wanted to say what an amazing job you guys are doing! I literally would've never thought to make any of these changes!
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    this really looks interesting @kellycot1 I am not joining the giveaway but it realy looks interesting !!! definitely downloading this when it finishes!!
  • Options
    actually here is a lot I made a time ago in sunset valley @kellycot1 :http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8836197
  • Options
    and by the way @kellycot1 I will be building a new club/lounge or wedding area I will see
  • Options
    Don't forget that there's a little less than a week to go now! If you're interested in joining—and it doesn't take much to qualify—you better get in quick.

Here's the Salon for Sunset Valley I've been working on for the shopping zone over by the Wolff mansion. Instead of working from scratch, I converted the Aero Dynamo home from the Lots and Houses Bin.

Screenshot-2_zpsvjsjcuzy.jpg
    I really liked the roof line, wall coverings and flooring of this lot for Sunset Valley, so I tried hard to keep those the same—as you can see, I enclosed the garage and built a small second story on the left-hand side, added the big front door and some outdoor paved space to make it seem more commercial. That was probably the hardest part—making it look like a community lot, rather than a home!

Screenshot-3_zpscu55dfdh.jpg
    The floor plan obviously changed quite a lot to accommodate the salon/spa items, but I managed to keep a few spaces fairly similar to the way they were before; for example, I converted the kitchen into the front reception area (with the same counters and stone flooring), the living room into a waiting area (with the same sofas) and the bathroom into a public bathroom (with the same colouring). I also added two Salon stations, which were tricky to fit in because of their size! The tattoo chair is, at least until I come up with something better, in a small room just off the front reception. I also added a sauna room and a room with the tanning booths from Seasons in the back area near the stairs.

Screenshot-5_zpsqxj4d1vo.jpg
    Up the stairs is another makeover/getting ready type of space with the Not So Routine Machine. Not entirely sure whether this space will be useful, but I wanted to take advantage of the Store Premium Content and thought a Salon would be a good place for it!

Screenshot-4_zpsy7liamxk.jpg
    Out the doors is the massage table, which overlooks the rolling hills and the water.

Screenshot-6_zpswegndjwl.jpg
    And here's the view from the outdoor sitting area. I'll be putting another shop in at the end of the road, but hopefully I'll be able to work around the lighthouse view so as to not block it.

@ciane – great to see more updates from you! You've done such a fantastic job of Sunset Valley. I hadn't heard of AussomeDays' new mod (although I have used her recoloured rabbit holes before), so thanks for letting me know—that's going to be a huge help! Can't believe you can just level the lot like that! I went through and slowly deleted each tile at the school and leveled the lot section by section. It was a loooong process, so that's very helpful to know.

Your library and gym are beautiful! I especially love the colours you've used to change the gym. Thanks as well for mentioning the taxi drop-off—it's been so long since I've actually played that I forgot about that, but I remember it always bothered me. I'll look into re-styling the lots to suit. I'll look forward to seeing your Lucky Palms spa contribution whenever I get around to making a thread for some of the later worlds! :smiley: We've had such great outside weather, too! Hope you have a wonderful day.

@LaineeCheri – thanks for dropping by, and I really appreciate the kind comments! I hope all of the Simmers here have helped to inspire you. :smile:

@adamzaid – I'm glad we've piqued your interest here! Thanks for including your Nature's Coffee lot—I'll have to download it later and check it out in-game, but from the pictures it looks great. I really like the roof pieces, and it looks like it fits in well with Sunset Valley. I'll add your name to the list of entrants.
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    I have never made a salon from a different building (that I remember). I just remodel the salon from the bin.

I do love that bin house and usually place it in SV with slight alterations. I too close in the garage, but I've never added a second floor. That looks great! I really love the curve around to another walk that way.

There is another bin house I like to place too that needs the 40x40 lot where EA auto-spawns something else. I always delete anything auto-spawned.
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Ok, I have finished my entry. I suppose it could go along with your Supernatural area on The Cliff. I built it on the 25 x 30 lot by the Crumplebottom house :) This is a lot with the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Wagon and the Vault of Antiquity. I chose this because this is something I put in every world I play in so I decided to go ahead and build a whole lot that I could just save to my bin instead of finding a spot and building a new one every time I start a game, lol :D

I don't take very good pictures, but this should give you an idea:

AvL6Wbf.jpg

And here is the Exchange link: Gypsies And Antiquities
  • Options
    @ciane – yeah, my new challenge is updating the EA lots in the bin to be more useful for my worlds, which means finding weird ways to make them into community lots. In the past, I have remodeled Barney's Salon quite a few times, but I really like trying to make the lots work as something else and then fitting them into the world—it's a good challenge. I previously started a beautiful makeover of the Entitled House from the bin (came with Ambitions) to convert it into a Resort lot for Roaring Heights. It looks so effective on the beach!

Thanks for the compliments on the lot. It took me forever to get the paths right, along with the plants (at one point, it was like a jungle surrounding the tables!). I think the second story makes it seem a little more commercial, and it helped with giving me extra space for the other Store Premium Content. Considering where placed the lot, it also just made sense to add a second story space to take advantage of the ocean views. Obviously with the garage, great minds think alike! :wink:

I'm with you on deleting the auto-spawned lots. They never fit right, take up so much space and seem out of place. I'll have to track down the bin house you're talking about—I probably could do with another house or two in Sunset Valley. We'll see. :smile: Thanks for dropping by, as always! You've been such a great contributor to the thread.

@StephSteb – thanks for adding your lot. I love that you've managed to fit in so many important magical items into one lot, and it looks like a great place to hang out. I can't decide what my favourite part is—either the statues/lamps on either side of the Vault of Antiquity, or the faire benches under the beautiful tree with white flowers at the back. I also really love the daffodils right by the wishing well! Such a great little detail to include. I think this is such a useful lot for adding a lot of EP and Store functionality in one go! Great job. :smile: I've added your name to the list.
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Less than a day to go (about 23 hours left)!

Here's what I've been up to...

Stage%20in%20Festival%20Grounds%201_zps5v4300px.jpg
    I finally added a stage to the Central Park festival grounds, based on this design by CK213. I made a few of my own changes, but I'm definitely not creative enough to fit that stage in without someone else's ideas! :tongue:

Stage%20in%20Festival%20Grounds%202_zpswmcokydf.jpg
    To accommodate the stage, I also moved some items from the different seasons around (like the skating rink, seen here) and leveled out some of the pond area. I think the Par Excellence School looks fantastic in the background—thanks to the Simmers in this thread for the advice and compliments on that one.

Island%20Port_zpstum8rdxq.jpg
    I also built up the Port out on the lighthouse island. It's pretty straightforward, but a nice docking area next to the boardwalk.

Island%20Boardwalk%204_zpsxetj58bp.jpg
    And here's the boardwalk WIP. I currently have it labeled as an Arcade, but we'll see if that suits when I test in-game. It's basically a theme park/boardwalk/family friendly hangout.

Island%20Boardwalk%207_zpsqt1m40q0.jpg
    There's still so much work to do, but here's the boardwalk taking shape with a front ticket booth.

Island%20Boardwalk%203_zpsmsaduvaz.jpg
    I'm also working on a little lookout point here, probably with a bar and food for parents who need to relax after a long day of screaming children.

Island%20Boardwalk%205_zpsrn8hkarh.jpg
    This is the line-up area for the roller coaster, which is still coming together. I want the look of a roller coaster line, without the routing headache!

Island%20Boardwalk%206_zpsgpanawjq.jpg
    And possibly my favourite idea—a petting zoo! I had no idea how to fit the cows and chickens into Sunset Valley, never mind places like Bridgeport, so I think this works really well. I'll need to tweak the fencing and decorate it some more, but I think it's a nifty addition to a theme park.

As you can see, my building process involves picking everything out of the catalogue and slowly putting the items into place or deleting them, so things are a bit messy.

I hope to see some more contributions before deadline tomorrow, but good luck to everyone who has already entered! :smiley:
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @kellycot1 You sure are seriously talented!
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    @kellycot1 You sure are seriously talented!

I second this! Seriously amazing! <3

• Options
    @Lexers615 and @StephSteb -- thanks so much for the compliment! You two are too nice! :blush:

But this lottery is now closed! I'm on my way home from a day out hiking with my boyfriend, but I'll get on the computer tonight to double-check the list of entrants and draw the winners. I'm so excited with how successful this has been! :smiley:
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    I'm back with the winners announcement!

I put the list into a randomiser and, without further ado, here are our winners:
    Sims%203%20Lottery%201%20-%20Early%20EA%20Worlds%20Winners_zpsysc4lmfp.png
    That means that @renyerookami has won a standard world (or 2450sp), @StephSteb has won a venue (or 1900sp) and @ciane has won 650sp. Congratulations!

I'd also like to add some bonus prizes for Simmers who really inspired me: @ciane has earned herself another 1800sp (total of 2450sp, so she may pick a standard world) for her absolutely huge contribution to this thread, and @PalmArrow has earned 200sp for her really interesting updates to Sunset Valley—I adore your Chinese restaurant and I never would have thought of making a 'Little France' area near Pinochle Pond. I think that's utterly unique and I really appreciate your originality.

And because you have all been so wonderful, I'd like to give the remaining entrants (@Lexers615, @amaresity, @Devalaous, @TadOlson and @adamzaid) 50sp each for joining in and making this lottery such a pleasure to host.

Please let me know what you'd like to spend your points on! Congratulations again to the winners, and thank you to everyone who participated. :smile:

Also paging @bekkasan, in case you're still interested in sponsoring a venue. No pressure at all (I'm happy with the prizes we have), but let me know if you'd like to gift StephSteb's venue. *hugs*
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    kellycot1 wrote: »
    Please let me know what you'd like to spend your points on!

I already own the store, forward it to the others participants ;)

My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @kellycot1 hi...sorry not been around much lately. I will be happy to gift @StephSteb a venue!! Please contact me @StephSteb and let me know what you would like. :) Congrats to all those who contributed to @kellycot1's lottery with all the inspiring lots. I know I've seen a few ideas that I play to steal, err, borrow for my builds.
  • Options
    Your Sunset Valley is looking awesome, Kelly! I do really love that school next to the gym and the addition of the performance park in the big park. Did you change all the seasonal stuff around to accommodate it? I think I just might have to redo my own Sunset Valley a big more. Wow! I placed. That's nice. I think you could just split my winnings among the others who didn't place. Thank you so much for sharing your inspirations with us!!!
  • Options
    Yay! A venue! Woot! Thank you @kellycot1 and @bekkasan <3

I own the store, however, but I was hoping you could pass my winnings on to my friend, Jennie Dutton. I don't think she participates on the forums but she does on MyPage and is so sweet to give out a wishlist gift every day to someone on her friends list. You can find her wishlist here: store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=JennieDutton I think she has the Ren Fair on it. I would appreciate it!

Congratulations, winners! <3
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    StephSteb wrote: »
    Yay! A venue! Woot! Thank you @kellycot1 and @bekkasan <3

I own the store, however, but I was hoping you could pass my winnings on to my friend, Jennie Dutton. I don't think she participates on the forums but she does on MyPage and is so sweet to give out a wishlist gift every day to someone on her friends list. You can find her wishlist here: store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=JennieDutton I think she has the Ren Fair on it. I would appreciate it!

Congratulations, winners! <3

Gifted! I hope she enjoys it. It is one of my favorite venues.
  • Options
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Thank you so much, @kellycot1 ! My wishlist is here ; I'd like Brassy Lassy Bob, Walk Through the Oaks and Faire Wheel Barrow, please!
    And I love your ideas for the lighthouse island, especially the petting zoo. I've never built anything on that island, but now that I've seen your boardwalk lot, I want to!
  • Options
    Wow, so many generous Simmers passing on their prizes! That's very kind of you guys. :smile:

It does make the calculations a little tricky though.

@Lexers615 – since I can't split 50sp into four equal shares for the other Simmers, I'll be giving your participation prize to fourth place (that means @Devalaous will get 100sp). Thanks for sharing your prize with the other participants.

@renyerookami – one Lunar Lakes, coming right up! Congratulations. I think you made an excellent choice.

@bekkasan – don't worry about not being around much; I understand! I hope all has been well with you and hubby. Thanks so much for gifting StephSteb's prize to her friend. You'll have to show me some pics if you steal any of the cool ideas from this thread—I'd love to see what you do with it.

@ciane – thanks so much for the compliments. I tried to keep most of the seasonal items in the same place, but I did move a few around to accommodate. I was worried it would be too hard to get each season right, but it was surprisingly easy. Just had to move the skating rinks in Summer, Spring and Winter to fit in next to the smaller pond (which I think looks much better than the haphazard place they were before), and then I moved the snowboarding halfpipe in winter to be where the skating rink used to be. I also moved a few smaller items, like the play equipment in Spring and the haunted house in Fall, to any blank spots I created with the other changes to make it more balanced. To be honest, I probably didn't even need to move that much!

Are you sure you want to split ALL of your winnings with the other Simmers who didn't place? I know you still have more of the Store to collect and, while it's your choice, I'd love to see you keep something (even something small) for yourself as well! :smiley:

@StephSteb – that's very kind of you to pass the venue along to your friend! Congratulations to you on placing and I hope your friend enjoys the Ren Faire.

@PalmArrow – thanks for letting me know what you'd like. I'll hold off on gifting the items for now, if that's okay with you, until I know what I'm doing with ciane's winnings. You could get a much bigger prize, if you're lucky! :wink:

Thanks again to everyone for taking part! I really appreciate the inspiration and compliments you've all given, and it's meant a lot for me to have a safe space to share my world progress. I feel compelled to create a WIP thread over in Creative Corner now, but I'll have to get all my posts together first. :smiley:
    a.k.a. Erin