Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why All Sims Are The Same

Comments

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    I wish some of you had played TSM and if you could see the Sims in it without worry about the quests then you would realize that AI was greatly improved as far as the player understands it. And they have wonderful emotions more so than TS2 (dare I say it?) and or TS3 or TS4. And they didn't need those annoying reminders on the avatars. It's a shame that game had a great AI and very emotional (on their faces and not cartoony expressions) that so many missed how good those Sims were in a very linear/goal driven game. It's really sad, actually.
    I agree with you I played the sims medieval and for my experience is by far the most "complext sim game" I played and much less bugged, i think the magic worked perfect cuz the tiny world the game have helped a lot avoid a lot of problems, but really the AI is much more well writed in sims mediteval than sims 3, again i didin't play the sims 2 but so far is really very well, each sim really is different all the jobs are done autonomous in the right way, no rabbitholes, if you make a blacksmith npc then play with the king the blacksmith will work on his shop, really was a very well polished AI the only problem was which the fans don't really proper give a chance for the game improve.

from all 3 sims games I played no doubts the sims medieval was the only one which i really don't needed any mod to make the game work perfect, he did it, the only problem again is which maxis have a strange problem of "trade offs", they can't proper offer a full good game, or the game aways will be about "making something bad in favor of making something good.
    @AceofSpades2231 Thanks, glad you liked my idea! @bekkasan actually did tag Drake on my behalf. :blush:

I love your idea actually, and I think they complement each other perfectly. Excellent way to add another layer of uniqueness - and therefore re-playability - to this game. I'm all for it. Also your sig made me lol.

@SimGuruDrake I'm not sure if you've had a look at this thread but there are some cool ideas and also I think a couple of points that could use confirmation; chiefly, what the game takes into consideration when deciding sim behaviours. I don't know if you have any data on that but I would love to hear it from the source! Is @Ellesar correct in assuming this is the current priority level?

1 - object attraction
    2 - emotion
    3 - skill
    4 - generic AI
    5 - trait

Thanks in advance! <3
    well is a little more complicated than this because you also have "role/actor system", where some sims are assigned to do specific actions, like joggers, like pass by and others functions, but somehow is more like what I told, when a sim is going to choose a action, that action will be based somehow on that facts in almost that order.

Traits which are only really strong are the ones which work around emotions, like hotheaded or creative, but they strengt is more about "make your sim go more often" in a specif emotion, then when he enter in that emotion his actions start to be more "moved by the emotions.

the system for what I get is something like that:
    Don lotário:
    he aweken from his sleep then you let him alone:
    if any need is too low he will choose to fill it like if hunger is too low he gonna make food or eat food if already exist
    or if his blader is too low he gonna pee, then after this the game will check what the sim have in his house, each interactive object have a "height" the game will roll a number which is influenced by object "attraction strengt" objects with strong attraction like computer or bars normally are choosing more often, the as the sim start to rise a skill from that object, that skill will help increase the npc desire to use that object more often, this means which the more high "video game skill become" more the sim will like to play game, if the sim have a emotion related trait like genious then the sim can become focused, that trait also will rise the sim desire to use "focused objects" more often, this is what lead to sims to "play games all the day" the more they play the more they want to play, well like dru gs...

Traits have influence more like "cosmetics or secondary roles" like a sim with neat trait will be forced to clean more often if the house is dirt the clumsy add fail animations to some actions, the AI system lack a more deep means like in skyrim, skyrim AI is 10 times more complex than sims AI and skyrim is a medieval RPG but what you do in sims you can almost do in skyrim, what the game lack is someone to go nuts and start to add more actions(with animations) and the game could be the almight perfect life simulator ever, cuz the AI in skyrim was well worked in a really good way, lots of details but while bethesda make a very good system which can be moded to make awesome AIs, they don't used it too much in game then the "base game have a average ai" but with the propers mods you can make a very complex AI and make cities even much realistic not only by having many npcs but they doing things completely "more realistic than what you can get in the sims.

Maxis really need to rewrite a completely new AI system from the scratch, for the next sim game not get what they are having and just do some changes, again many others games already are doing what is doing and in some cases even better and they not are "life simulator" they just want a "realistic game" where npcs where more than just "peoples walking around" and that is where maxis is really loosing they sight.

You make sound arguments to support your side of things.

More like making things up to support his argument ;)

@Ellessarr
    Why don't you buckle down and get a look at the Python code ? If you have some programming knowledge, Python isn't hard to understand. Now the autonomy and AI part is actually complex so it may not be the best part for a start, but there's plenty of other things you can take a look at.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Neia, :/ I sort agree with @Ellessar. He knows what I'm talking about as far as I think the AI in TS4 isn't as good as the other games. There is no need to wash hands or text or play the phone (now my Sims are obsessed with texting when I didn't make them) when they have nothing queued up by me.

I would prefer the Sim stand there sigh, cry or die, from boredom waiting on me to make up my mind what to do next than go wash hands that aren't dirty, text when it doesn't build relationship points or mean anything and or play a phone game when fun is full. Smart AIs are hard to come by these days.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited January 2016
    @Neia While I love to learn new things and also good a learn specially fast I have a big flaw, if i'm trying to self learn something I normally ending giving up when i get stucked in something i did not understood or don't find something to help about it, i'm some sort of "lazy" on that aspect, then when i really want to learn something for "serious" i prefer to have someone teaching me, because this make me not drop the interest or give up while alone i get "bored" pretty fast for the lack of someone helping me or some sort of "competition", that is why i currently studing game design in a school, i'm still learning the "tecnical stuffs about market and the "first step" which is on all the marketing, i will really gonna start to "get my hand' on the "physical work(programing and modeling) in the second half of the year, we gonna use the "unreal" engineer to work maybe when the AI part come I will try it to ask the teachers to teach me about phyton, well probably I will gonna need it since i'm already have some projects in mind and AI is something which i really, really want to learn and very deep cuz that is the most fun part for me the challenge of make "realistic behavious" in game, If the school payoff then my focus will be on that work on AI, i really want to be able to make a game where you can have a true perfect "realistic" behavious in game.

Like have a big city game where all the npcs will be unique and gonna have a life, no matter if just a random walker or the big boss of the game, well I will try to give a check at phyton but as I told to be honest if I really don't have someone helping me then probably I not gonna learn as much as I could like.
    Post edited by Ellessarr on
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @Cinebar
    I think your feedback is as valuable without making wild guesses about what the AI does under the hood, that's all. Making assumptions like Ellessarr did about the way it works is misleading, because he made it sounds like it was a fact, and not just its impression.

If you want your Sims to wait on you, why don't you disable autonomy, or set it to limited ? Isn't the whole purpose of full autonomy to have the Sims never been truly idle and find something to keep them busy all the time ? I'm a bit confused by what you're looking for.

@Ellessarr
    Well, have fun discovering the joy of programming then !
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Neia wrote: »
    @Cinebar
    I think your feedback is as valuable without making wild guesses about what the AI does under the hood, that's all. Making assumptions like Ellessarr did about the way it works is misleading, because he made it sounds like it was a fact, and not just its impression.

If you want your Sims to wait on you, why don't you disable autonomy, or set it to limited ? Isn't the whole purpose of full autonomy to have the Sims never been truly idle and find something to keep them busy all the time ? I'm a bit confused by what you're looking for.

@Ellessarr

part of what I told "where facts", you can look at some old gurus posts, and find which part of what i say is true, like the "weight/height of objects, if not by the developers but also by moders you can ask others moders and they will confirm it, ofcourse the game have more variables but that are the ones which are more strong.

it not's like i don't "did some research before speak", i did but ofcourse i really don't know all the things otherwise i could myself already fixed a lot of things in this game at last for me.

For what I get about how the AI work, we could say which we have 3 types of AI in game(this is for now how i see and could be wrong but again it's based on info from code)
    we have actor, generic, and reactive Ai all of the 3 are behavious from the main AI that part i remember, the behavious and feel things from some times i tried to learn more about programming.

actor AI - which is basically a AI where the character will "act" according to a role, like barman or maid or repairman, the AI have a set of actions will make then act based on that settings to make him do his role proper on tha AI you have joggers, speakers, passing by mixology, chief and others roles in game, that AI make the character act more "realistic" only based on his role but still bad if you want really "realism", like the barist which don't have any other life besides being the barist he stand all the day in the bar attending the customers, normally he don't have needs(his needs are setted to never decay), he never leave his work point for nothing, unless the AI is "broken" or maybe they added something more to him to do.

Reactive AI - the AI which is more 'realistic" which is based in the character "needs' if the hunger motive is too low that AI kick in and make the character go for food or if he is too dirt the AI kick and make him go clean himself, that is the most "realistic AI or part of the whole AI, cuz is really based on what the character "really want to do", if a character feel lonely(low social) he will try to fill it by trying to talk to someone near to him or trying to interact which something which could helo rise this for him.

Generic AI - the AI which is more to give the illusion of the character being alive, that is the place where enter the emotions, items weight and others things, this AI is basically to tell your sim to do "something" instead of just standing still, that AI is programmed to make the choose from let's say "infinity" actions something which make him not just standing, but ultimatly this "infinity" is not as that infinity as was supposed to be since the others factors have a high weight on the choices and how that factors where coded is when enter the poor code part from maxis, because they don't try to proper polish it or work more deep which lead to too much unrealistic and bad behavious like playing game forever, making drink forever and others things which even if the sim get a negative mood to stop then to do that the AI will ignore it most of the times, or due to bug or due to bad weights like in the case of emotions a focused sim will expend all the day playing games no matter how "bored he get" because the focused weight is strong than the bored or the high level of playin games skills also will make him ignore it like many others factors and that is the problem.

@Cinebar
    What maxis is doing now, could be awesome at 10 years ago with sims 1 or sims 2 or sims 3 at best, when others games developing not where so interested in deep "immersion" and realism to AI" but now it's no more a "secret" or something which only maxis can do bethesda is a good exemple of "NO" which others already know how to do it" and if maxis don't "evolve" from this then in the future others games can surprass and making things even better than sims without they even want to be a life simulator but just want to make they "npcs" be more and more realistic and that is when lie maxis problem you could end with like a assassins creed where the world is more "realistic"(in behavious) than any sims games in a no so far future.

They are trying to "re-use" the same old formule over and over doing some little changes here and there but without really improve it as they where supposed to do.
  • Options
    @Cinebar

@Ellessarr

There isn't a limited in TS4 is there? That's TS3. We only have on and off. I can't watch them all so I never play with freewill off. But what does annoy me is yesterday I tried to play this one Sim (newly created) and before she could even get settled into her house and while she was eating she queued up the new 'text' that came in GT. No need, fun and social wasn't low. I know this sounds crazy but since that EP only my females do that. Of course I know things aren't gender bent like that. But I swear it's true. I might have to quit playing any females in this game because they do this sort of annoying crap. Like it's only my females that stand around and laugh like they are crazy and find something funny when they don't have the traits to make them do that. Or the objects.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    RealPollyMogsRealPollyMogs Posts: 478 Member
    I tried to play this one Sim (newly created) and before she could even get settled into her house and while she was eating she queued up the new 'text' that came in GT. No need, fun and social wasn't low. I know this sounds crazy but since that EP only my females do that. Of course I know things aren't gender bent like that. But I swear it's true. I might have to quit playing any females in this game because they do this sort of annoying crap.

Nope, no gender-bending. Males do it too. And it didn't come with GT, which I didn't buy. It's from the base game patch in December, so it looks like we're stuck with it. :s
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    It was interesting in another thread, Simmers were timing a Sim second and it seems to be slower in the Sims 4 than it was in the Sims 3 in live mode. You would think with smarter Sims, Sims would be able to do things faster huh?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    It was interesting in another thread, Simmers were timing a Sim second and it seems to be slower in the Sims 4 than it was in the Sims 3 in live mode. You would think with smarter Sims, Sims would be able to do things faster huh?

this is intentional to reduce CPU usage, make sims take more time to do things means which the processor have more time to "choose things".

Again this is maxis police of "catter the low ending machines".
  • Options
    @Cinebar
    That's right, I checked and there's only on and off, my bad. I guess the off setting is too limited for your taste ? They will care for their survival I think but perhaps nothing else, I haven't really tested it. I'm always in full autonomy in Sims games, I like the fact that Full autonomy makes them do things all the time personally, it makes them feel more alive in my mind.
  • Options
    @Cinebar
    That's right, I checked and there's only on and off, my bad. I guess the off setting is too limited for your taste ? They will care for their survival I think but perhaps nothing else, I haven't really tested it. I'm always in full autonomy in Sims games, I like the fact that Full autonomy makes them do things all the time personally, it makes them feel more alive in my mind.

I never play with freewill off unless I had to make a Sim do a particular thing to film it or to screen shot it. But rarely. I want the Sim to know why they need to do something not just do it because they have nothing else queued up. Like texting....there is no point in it when social is full, they don't even get an answer, they don't build relationship points by it, and or they may get some fun out of it but if fun is full then stop texting. No need to pull out the phone over and over and over and over, if you sat here and cancel it on them. I would rather their 'idles' be scratching their rear end while they stand around or the lice in their head than to see animations that don't matter.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I could not deal with full autonomy even in Sims3 with the strange things they could go off and do on their own. I play 90% of my games on the mid autonomy in Sims3 so I can control my sims and what they do. I tried it both ways when I did the trial of Sims 4 and the full autonomy drove me bonkers with them playing with that daggum phone. It was better with no autonomy, but, they wouldn't even go pee if I was controlling someone else. At least in Sims 3 they will go pee or pick up the baby or toddler and take care of them on mid autonomy. The dev's have to understand at some point that they need to have choices for all the play styles in the sims games!!!! If I rule, I should have choices. Right now, the dev's rule Sims 4 and thank goodness that Nraas helps me rule Sims 3. :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Time goes a little slower in Sims 4, which is a good thing (days pass too quickly in 3), but I think that's necessary too in Sims 4, because the multitasking takes a lot of their time. I don't consider that 'smart', it's just a mechanism.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Time goes a little slower in Sims 4, which is a good thing (days pass too quickly in 3), but I think that's necessary too in Sims 4, because the multitasking takes a lot of their time. I don't consider that 'smart', it's just a mechanism.

not really time goes the same in sims 4 as sims 3 at last it was when i last played it, sims 4 time is for each 1 minute in game pass 1 second in real life, like 1 hora in game = 1 minute real life, then each full day cicle take 24 minutes, this is really too fast specially when you try to do events some events if you don't really act fast you can easy fail on then, this aways was a problem for me in both sims 3 and 4, then I solved it with a mod which make the "in game time flower' more slow, in both sims 3 and 4, then you get more free time to do things.

That aways was a "maxis logic" the game be a "time management game" rater than a play for fun.
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »

not really time goes the same in sims 4 as sims 3 at last it was when i last played it, sims 4 time is for each 1 minute in game pass 1 second in real life, like 1 hora in game = 1 minute real life, then each full day cicle take 24 minutes, this is really too fast specially when you try to do events some events if you don't really act fast you can easy fail on then, this aways was a problem for me in both sims 3 and 4, then I solved it with a mod which make the "in game time flower' more slow, in both sims 3 and 4, then you get more free time to do things.

That aways was a "maxis logic" the game be a "time management game" rater than a play for fun.
    I haven't tested it myself but others did, and time does go slightly slower according to them (@Jessa_Dakkar and @LeGardePourpre ).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for the source, couldn't find it! @Jessa_Dakkar and me tested it in Sims 3 though and the result was 1.3 seconds per minute.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Ah, thanks for the source, couldn't find it! @Jessa_Dakkar and me tested it in Sims 3 though and the result was 1.3 seconds per minute.

I was surprised when he said that because it still feels fast to me. But I used to play at a very slow speed in TS3 with a Nraas mod, so I guess that's why. I think the loading screens seem to eat into the time as well, especially since I like to visit a couple of places each day, it feels like as soon as I get anywhere it's time to go home again!

Sorry to veer off topic a bit there. I do hope they do more to make sims feel more unique. :)

• Options

I was surprised when he said that because it still feels fast to me. But I used to play at a very slow speed in TS3 with a Nraas mod, so I guess that's why. I think the loading screens seem to eat into the time as well, especially since I like to visit a couple of places each day, it feels like as soon as I get anywhere it's time to go home again!

Sorry to veer off topic a bit there. I do hope they do more to make sims feel more unique. :)
    In fact (hadn't thought of that) I think this is one of the reasons days go so fast in 3 as well: the travelling time. Even though I do like it takes time for them to travel, they should have taken that in consideration concerning clock speed. And to make it worse it gets dark too early in the game imo. The sun sets at 6pm.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for asking about that Cinderellimouse. Eating does feel slow.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Helpful suggestion with Sims all acting the same: delete the computers in the house! Have them go to the library to use a computer. It obviously doesn't fix the entire problem. But it's an easy thing to do, and it helps me enjoy the game a lot more.
  • Options
    hmm thanks, well then still too fast just 1.5s, specially when many actions take a lot of seconds to be made, could be much better if time was like for each 1 minute take 3 seconds, because really time fly too fast in sims games series, you really end with not enough time to play the whole day, my bigger rant toward it was the partys, some of then are really insane to do due to how fast the time pass, some party i never was able to true enjoy duing to being too busy makin sure she will be a sucess doing the tasks, another problem was also talk with others sim, aways i feel time flying to fast when i tried to talk and the day aways ending too fast, that is why in both sims 3 and 4 i used/use mod to reduce that "rush of time".

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,288 Member
    Slower or quicker time isn't the only problem when a task length is still 30 SimMinutes.
  • Options
    Slower or quicker time isn't the only problem when a task length is still 30 SimMinutes.

the problem is not just task, things like "talking with others sims also can be affected by how slow or fast time pass, like you make your sim chat with other for like 1 minute in real life then in game that 1 minute could cost one hour and 30 minutes, by the default settings(1.5 seconds) if the time was 2 seconds per minute then the chat could had cost only 30 minutes in game if was 3 seconds then could be like 15 minutes while some actions take "sim minutes" others use real time like walking or chat then if let's say to go from X point to Y point you take 10 seconds in real time this 10 seconds will cost 15 minutes which is a too big time to that distance.

The time in game really go insanely fast and make looks like the sims are "too slow" in they actions.
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited January 2016
    Wait, so time moves slower, but it still takes my Sim more than an hour to eat a single bowl of cereal? That's...concerning, holy heck.

Anyway, a lot of people have been making their own custom traits to try and make Sims a little more...unique, but it doesn't work. It DOES frustrate me that all Sims are, essentially, the same. There's no hydrophobic trait to make them not like the water, there's no rebel trait to get my teenagers to actually act like teenagers...there's nothing. It relies incredibly heavily on the player's ability to make up their own stories with no goading or guidance. I love my Sims and sometimes, I'll get really attached to a family I've made, but once I hit the second generation, I end up stopping because there isn't really anything to differentiate one generation from the other. There are always adults that always act the same way with children that all act the same and do the same things and it's...exhausting having so much "same-ness".

Plus, there's supposedly a hidden left-handed/right-handed trait? Yeah, in all of the time I have played TS4, my Sims have been very CHOOSY about what kind of handed they are. When making a logical painting, they're suddenly left-handed. When eating, they're right-handed. Even the tiny thing that I thought gave Sims that little quirk of individuality doesn't work right. IT'S DEPRESSING.

ETA: I remember when, before the game came out, there was a lot of talk of Sims gaining traits depending on the things you made them do in their childhood and that still sounds like the COOLEST THING IN THE WORLD. Unfortunately, I guess what they meant was the current Lifetime Goal Whatever system, but gosh, wouldn't it be cool if your Sim gained a fear of electrical devices because they were shocked by one as a kid? Or they grow up to be shy because they didn't socialize much? What if they became serial romantics from flirting with so many Sims in high school? P O T E N T I A L !