Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited November 2015
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    I feel like if I really want that much money I can just motherlode them. I think having some of those things hand out so much is overkill. I do have one family that's rich but it's actually part of the story and when I set to spending money for anything for them I only spend a certain amount then they have to make it back before more can be spent. As time goes on the amount I don't spend under increases. I got this kind of thinking in playing city building games and trying to save up enough money for expensive improvements.

They are overkill. I do prefer them over motherlode, though, because at least there's some chance involved, and as I said "work." Overall, though, I'd just rather not do it at all. I do understand about having a rich family that's part of a story, and I think any rules you make help.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    One thing that I enjoy most about playing with my simmers is making them struggle. Earning money just seems a part of that struggle. I have been playing my Crown legacy for 7 generations now and have come up with reasons to "start at 0" again, every few generations. Not only this, but I have set goals for each different generation, so that helps keep the fun alive. WIll have an update on Jasper soon. He's been a busy boy.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    @Minx - poor Jasper. He's not a loser is he? lol Will he stay in the criminal career?

I usually find ways for my sims to meet financial disaster from time to time ;)

OK, update time. Sigh. I believe I have officially failed this challenge. But unofficially, I'm playing on anyway. haha Much has happened since the last update. It was traumatizing and I didn't get as many photos as I wanted but... here we go.

Yes, that's a pregnancy outfit. Yay!
    23276939866_f6689f7476_b.jpg

Meet Jeffrey
    23220463571_25b84b2304_b.jpg

Kearney was invited to a party, which he attended. He and some girl townie got that attraction moodlet thingie and I thought uh oh... she tried to flirt with him and he shut her down. I was like "Yay, Kearney!" But I was so upset about the whole thing I didn't get not one picture. lol

Then I placed an Elixir Consignment Shop because I want Nichol to become a witch and every witch needs the shop, right? Sent her there to see if they had an elixir and she met this guy. Again with the attraction thingie... but this time I was better able to handle it and got a screenie
    23303054115_e8668fe242_b.jpg
    They didn't have the elixir so I sent her home. Just in case.

And then... you see, Nichol was gardening. I took the death flowers out of her inventory so she could fertilize the garden with "best fertilizer." I only took my eyes off her for a moment - only a moment!! What does she do? She decides to eat the cake from the cowplant. Seriously??????
    23194757632_c7dd774403_b.jpg

*Exit without saving*

Grimmy? What Grimmy?
    23303055435_8e2108f7ee_b.jpg
    Nichol doesn't have the insane trait - I don't know why she keeps randomly changing her outfit but... I let her.

Awww... Jeffrey aged up
    23194757242_7d51af36a3_b.jpg

Oops... royalties in so time for another space upgrade. I decided to take the space on the front porch as part of my 16 squares - it is 12 squares in size - the other four I added on to the side of the bathroom and then moved everything over.
    23007259640_368431754e_b.jpg

Nichol explored the catacombs and found
    22675927173_6f3dee2029_b.jpg
    Their first gnome. Awwww

Still adorable, no matter how many times I see it
    22675926773_7b71b8662a_b.jpg

• Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Aw, love the update! Toddlers in the toy box gets me every time. And about that whole cow plant mishap? I know nothing, absolutely nothing. ;)
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    @Surreal I forgot to ask you! You mentioned your Sim changing clothes--does she have the Proper trait? From what my daughter was telling me Sims with that trait frequently change into their formal wear.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Yay, holiday break time has officially begun and I'm still alive!

A few random things:
    @BSIRegina I'm thinking Broccoli might be a distant cousin of Brussels. I like the green dragons.

@Sookie_54 Yes, we do want pictures! :)

@Surreal Oh, that cowplant . . . I mean, what cowplant? I'm totally behind your decision.
    I've been debating whether to tell you Kearney has been busy in my DV save dancing with the clerk at the elixir consignment shop (which I also put in but just because I like it and it fit in to me).

Off to get some pictures together. I've sufficiently recovered from the twins to carry on. ;) I decided babysitters were a good idea, even if I don't particularly like what they do and don't do most of the time.

Edited to add: The proper trait is a good guess. I had a witch with it who was always running around in her formal wear. I finally just made her a formal outfit that didn't look totally out of place when she was just hanging out around the house and such.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Yes, green dragon for the win! Although I did discover it's probably not the best idea having them harvest stuff that's inside of a structure. Yogi told him to harvest stuff on the garden lot where it's under a greenhouse-type affair and ended up with a script error that reset her and sent her back home.

As for broccoli, I thought about naming him lettuce. :D

I see some of us kind of have a similar theme going on with our houses for this build. I've been itching to use these sets ever since I downloaded them and the setting seems so perfect for it. After installing all my expansion packs and all that store stuff I have SO many new shinies in my game, and this time of year our skies start getting so gray with all the fog my brain starts screaming for colors. Right now we're being smacked around a bit by "Winter Storm Cara". Rain started last night and today we have mixed rain and snow. It's icky out there.
  • Options
    Quite a bit has been going on since I last updated. Despite threats otherwise, I did get in game off and on and made some progress. Marshall and Morida have, of course, been crazy busy since the twins were born. That's slowed down the money making and house expanding to some extent, but that's not a bad thing. The bad thing is how much WORK twins are. *Sigh*

Once in a great while, the twins are tucked in their cribs, content and not in dire need of a feeding or diaper change.
    Screenshot-84202.jpg

If Marshall still has energy left after a long day of gardening, gathering, and trips to town to sell, he might work on a painting. This is the first one he's done that actually doesn't seem totally out of place in his make-believe era. He usually seems completely ahead of his time (and paints things I hate :p ).
    Screenshot-85203.jpg

If given a moment to his own devices, though, you'll probably find him playing with one of the dragons. Bellatrix, the black one, is probably the reason he had enough energy to paint. (She had to be put in the family inventory because of it.)
    Screenshot-80202.jpg

More likely, you find him vegged out in front of the wooden rune box on the wall (it's in a picture further down) for a half hour before staggering off to bed. On a good night, Morida might join him.
    Screenshot-103.jpg

It's rare for Morida to stay awake that long, however. After getting the twins down for the night, she usually *tries* to wait up for Marshall to get home from his trip to town.
    Screenshot-81202.jpg

That year, they didn't even make it out for Snowflake Day.
    Screenshot-102.jpg
    "Yes, I'm sure you're having a great party. You have one every day. And, of course, my parents are going to be there, but really, they should think about coming over here and HELPING. I doubt we'll have time between feedings and diaper changes to even have much of a dinner let alone attend a party."

After a while, they realized that being good parents meant they needed to take care of themselves, too, and they started to hire a babysitter on occasion. Sometimes, they'd just stay at home and enjoy some time together and other times they'd go out. At the beginning of Spring, they spent an entire day at the Duke of Bows Faire, where it became apparent Morida was a much better archery shot than Marshall. (Some dimwit forgot to take any pictures at the faire.)
    Screenshot-91202.jpg

They were adding on to the main living areas of their home in the Spring also, in anticipation of the twins being out and about the house more. Marhsall used some of the leftover building materials and made a cool tree house in the backyard, even though they knew the girls wouldn't be climbing the ladder for a couple more years. On the eve of the twins' birthday, and while still re-invigorated from that great day out at the faire, Marshall got a twinkle in his eye and a thought about what he'd like to do in the tree house.

Morida thought he was out of his mind and told him as much. She thought he'd be worried about the possibility of more mouths to feed and diapers to change. And besides she was tired. However, she said, if he helped get the babies down and they went to sleep quickly, she'd think about it.
    Screenshot-115.jpg

And so, as it was, the babies nodded off quickly after a snuggle from daddy, and Morida was a good sport about Marshall's plans for the evening. She didn't even complain about the splinter. She was a little worried the next morning, though, when she suddenly felt the need to vomit.

The twins had their birthday party that evening and are now adorable toddlers.

Maeve has her mama's hair color and daddy's eyes.
    Screenshot-121.jpg

Merna looks to have Grandma O'Connell's hair color and her mother's eyes.
    Screenshot-122.jpg

I'll come back later with some house pictures. Happy Thanksgiving, all!

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Loving all the updates!! Great pictures everyone! <3
  • Options
    Hm. My TS3 Sims have had twins multiple times and never struggled to raise them. In TS2, on the other hand, "Oh my goodness, it's twins! Stop life for everyone until we get them into school!" Or is this mostly part of the story telling? I have a way of over-thinking things.

Anyway, nice update and adorable little girls, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone too!
  • Options
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    Hm. My TS3 Sims have had twins multiple times and never struggled to raise them. In TS2, on the other hand, "Oh my goodness, it's twins! Stop life for everyone until we get them into school!" Or is this mostly part of the story telling? I have a way of over-thinking things.

Anyway, nice update and adorable little girls, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone too!

I agree T2 twins were a lot harder, but frankly, I don't enjoy them (multiples) in either game. You're probably just a lot better at it than me. :)

Have a lovely holiday.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    dx1965dx1965 Posts: 335 Member
    edited November 2015
    I am really getting angry or as the censors "plum" and annoyed, top of it all I am really sick, its holidays and well I won't go there. The challenge when I originally read it was only 4 by 4, I don't have all the expansions but I did spend good chunk of money on this game last month and way more than I can afford. I love this game yet I really hate certain designs that really messing me up. I thought this might be fun challenge and you all might fun people to interact about what I am dealing with but perhaps being sick and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about what just happen in my game is just too much right now to see the fun at this moment. Now how do I stop following this thread. Nevermind I figured it out. I give up.
    I hope you have better holidays than I am. Bye
  • Options
    @dx1965 Goodness, what happened? You seem really peeved.

I have pictures of Jasper, but probably won't get them up til after the holiday. I can say that he has a romantic interest, had two, but then he went all crazy and they are enemies now, but he still rolls wants to go on a date with and write a love letter. Good luck buddy! They are like almost full red enemies.

Happy simmings and lovely updates. I love multiples!
  • Options
    dx1965dx1965 Posts: 335 Member
    I having really hard time with my sim I did 5 by 5, had it all set up made mistake of adding the bakery and pizzeria in town edit mode. And I did something wrong and everything gone all the work I did I spent the last 3 hours on is gone.
    I am in tears.
  • Options
    @dx1965 no one here is trying to run you off so please don't take it that way. I saw the challenge rules from the start and there was more involved than just building a 4x4 then, though, and the rules haven't been changed much since then, just disallowing some objects that would be real money grabs.

And yeah, probably while not feeling well isn't the best time to approach a challenge, especially when you're already so new to the game. It has quite a learning curve as it is with a lot of things to figure out. Take a few days and get to feeling better and in the meantime play around with the game a little here and there and get a feel for things. Then afterward you might have what it takes to have another go at this.

Oh, and for your question, I think you can go into your Bookmarks (that's the little star at the top of the pages) and delete it from there. I sure hope you get feeling better soon. :smiley:
  • Options
    Hope you feel better, @dx1965. I've learned never to save my game in edit town mode, in case you did that. It seems prone to crash then. I'll save my lot I'm working on (if I'm building or editing one) to my bin, go back to live mode and save the game there. I also always save my game progress before I go to edit town mode. You have to learn to anticipate the worst with this game sometimes.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Sookie_54Sookie_54 Posts: 429 Member
    I didn't take pictures. :( I think I am going to do it again some time over this long weekend. I am so bad at remembering to take pictures. I'll have to put a sticky note on my computer reminding me. haha
    This week has been crazy. My kindergartner son has been out of school all week. Him and my other son(3) have been exhausting me all day everyday. Then there is a cold front moving in so all I want to do is sleep. And now I have to make a huge dinner tomorrow?!
  • Options
    The fun thing about Sims 3 challenges is that although their are rules, you can tweak then to your liking. You can make them easier or harder or somewhere in between. You can add your own spin to them. The goal is TO HAVE FUN! Challenges help with the mundane of playing the same way every save. (Done get me wrong, I am a sucker for a simple legacy challenge, no point keeping.)

If you "mess up" just shake it off and pick up where you left off. Trial and error. You picked am easy challenge to start with for sure.
  • Options
    dx1965 wrote: »
    I am really getting angry or as the censors "plum" and annoyed, top of it all I am really sick, its holidays and well I won't go there. The challenge when I originally read it was only 4 by 4, I don't have all the expansions but I did spend good chunk of money on this game last month and way more than I can afford. I love this game yet I really hate certain designs that really messing me up. I thought this might be fun challenge and you all might fun people to interact about what I am dealing with but perhaps being sick and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about what just happen in my game is just too much right now to see the fun at this moment. Now how do I stop following this thread. Nevermind I figured it out. I give up.
    I hope you have better holidays than I am. Bye

I'm sorry things are going difficultly. The only things that were changed from when I originally wrote out the challenge was the addition to take it easy on the orb of answers, and I added (stressed more) that porches are not part of the house. It was stated that porches were not part of the house when the rules were first posted and skilling objects were no nos, there should be no household objects on the porch either and this is now stressed in the rules (added today). I also think you ran into problems with the challenge by running out of money in the beginning because you bought a blueprint 4x4 bathroom, I did the math today and it is more expensive to buy a premade than to build it yourself...building is about $2,746 (including everything except furnishings it is the house shell and porch) as opposed to the 4x4 cabin bathroom @ $5,805 or the contempory bathroom 4x4 @ $5,830. If you build it yourself you save tons of money. Give it another shot after the holidays, we will be here to help you out and cheer you on! <3:smiley:
  • Options
    Sookie_54 wrote: »
    I didn't take pictures. :( I think I am going to do it again some time over this long weekend. I am so bad at remembering to take pictures. I'll have to put a sticky note on my computer reminding me. haha
    This week has been crazy. My kindergartner son has been out of school all week. Him and my other son(3) have been exhausting me all day everyday. Then there is a cold front moving in so all I want to do is sleep. And now I have to make a huge dinner tomorrow?!

(((Hug!!))) the holidays get everyone stressed. BTW, just for future happy thoughts, kids get way easier as they get older! :smiley:
  • Options
    I know this is random, but is relic hunting against the rules? Jasoer got a job opportunity in China, I usually ignore these, but figured why not! He spent 1300 to get here, so I figure why not go tomb exploring!?
  • Options
    @suzses, where did you get the teddy bears that are in the twins cribs? They are soooo cute!
  • Options
    Sookie_54Sookie_54 Posts: 429 Member
    Sookie_54 wrote: »

(((Hug!!))) the holidays get everyone stressed. BTW, just for future happy thoughts, kids get way easier as they get older! :smiley:

My son loves school so when he is at home all day he gets really antsy. ARGH!
    At the same time that I want them to grow up I want them to stay little forever. haha
  • Options
    Minx wrote: »
    I know this is random, but is relic hunting against the rules? Jasoer got a job opportunity in China, I usually ignore these, but figured why not! He spent 1300 to get here, so I figure why not go tomb exploring!?

You guys are really making me think outside the measly gathering and having a job I did for money making when I made up this challenge, that is very good! I would say yes, relic hunting is fine, you will make a bunch of $$ (grab the books on the bookshelves at the base camp too, there is at leat $15,000 right there!). My Sims really need to go to China again, it was extreamly fun!

Borrowing your post for shamless promotion of a new in the works challenge: :smiley:
    You don't want to know what I've been up too, but I'm going to tell you, I have a spin off challenge for this one where you have 4 sims in a 10x10 ( at least 3 have to be YA and one can be baby, toddler or child or you can go with 4 YA), they only get $50,000 to build and furnish the whole house, then set family funds down to $300. The Young adults have to have jobs and can collect or whathaveyou on the side. You may add another 10x10 but ONLY vertically (build UP) after you get $30,000. BUT, the fun part is for each level you go up you must add another sim, through adoption, having a baby or kidnapping a Sim from town. The goal is 8 sims in the house and 5 levels. I already built my house and have my tester guinea pigs (Connor, Jared, Claire and Claire and Jared's kiddo Jane). I'm using them because I was getting antsy after not really playing with my beloved Connor for a week! Will post pictures after Turkey Day.

Have a Great Thanksgiving All!! <3
  • Options
    Ha! Poor Sims. They need their space and you like taking it from them.

Jaspers first trip relic hunting was not very successful. After paying to go to China, getting the tent and shower in a can and all, he didn't break even at all. He came back poorer.

I think I will limit the amount of adventures he can do per trip. And I didn't even think to sell the books, but that's just too easy. He was finally at 5000 but I made him spend some. Hehe. I'm mean.