Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• Sookie_54Sookie_54 Posts: 429 Member
    Minx wrote: »
    I know this is random, but is relic hunting against the rules? Jasoer got a job opportunity in China, I usually ignore these, but figured why not! He spent 1300 to get here, so I figure why not go tomb exploring!?

You guys are really making me think outside the measly gathering and having a job I did for money making when I made up this challenge, that is very good! I would say yes, relic hunting is fine, you will make a bunch of $$ (grab the books on the bookshelves at the base camp too, there is at leat $15,000 right there!). My Sims really need to go to China again, it was extreamly fun!

Borrowing your post for shamless promotion of a new in the works challenge: :smiley:
    You don't want to know what I've been up too, but I'm going to tell you, I have a spin off challenge for this one where you have 4 sims in a 10x10 ( at least 3 have to be YA and one can be baby, toddler or child or you can go with 4 YA), they only get $50,000 to build and furnish the whole house, then set family funds down to $300. The Young adults have to have jobs and can collect or whathaveyou on the side. You may add another 10x10 but ONLY vertically (build UP) after you get $30,000. BUT, the fun part is for each level you go up you must add another sim, through adoption, having a baby or kidnapping a Sim from town. The goal is 8 sims in the house and 5 levels. I already built my house and have my tester guinea pigs (Connor, Jared, Claire and Claire and Jared's kiddo Jane). I'm using them because I was getting antsy after not really playing with my beloved Connor for a week! Will post pictures after Turkey Day.

Have a Great Thanksgiving All!! <3

I love this idea. I'd love to do it once you get it all tested.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    @suzses - I don't think relic hunting is against the rules - it's a game mechanic after all and not any more cheesy than having the drilling miner thing. And as for Kearney - he's a dancing fool, isn't he? That's all he ever wants to do.

@dx1965 - when I am not feeling well and stressed over things, it is easy to get crazy about things that wouldn't bother me any other time. Take a few days and then see how you feel about it. I hope your holiday gets better and that you do as well.

@Sookie_54 - hahaha - real life with toddlers. :smile: Been there done that. And yeah, you have to cook tomorrow but within a few days things will settle down - at least a little bit - and you can try again. And yes, we want pictures!!

Minor update. I have the funds for an expansion but am waiting for the next one so I can do two together. In the meantime... I hired a babysitter once when both of them were off the lot. Recently she has showed up at my home, just comes in, hangs out and then eventually leaves - Strange. So Nichol left the lot to do... something - I dunno, probably gathering. Kearney is home and so is Jeffrey... the babysitter shows up. Is she doing what I think she's doing?
    23017924060_c1fee7b87a_b.jpg

Yes, she is.
    23205421222_580eefb744_b.jpg
    I ain't sayin' nothin'...

So I no longer have a random babysitter problem
    23313709335_e7b863c86c_b.jpg

And Nichol is a bit younger than she started the day
    23231121271_719fb591bf_b.jpg

Next time, however, she'd like a potion that is a bit more tasty
    22686582113_7c58e13cf9_b.jpg

Now, as you know... Nichol had traveled back in time; she has decided however that this is no longer a good, working situation. She tells Kearney that she is from the future and that she wants to go back, and take him and the baby with her. He thinks she's kidding
    22945791459_f97be4b176_b.jpg

No, I am not kidding, she assures him. Just walk into this armoire thing and when you come out, you'll be in the future where everything is the same only our Watcher doesn't have to come up with some lame excuse for all these electronics scattered about. So he does
    22685340004_45b87172c3_b.jpg

And she does
    22686580493_dd94b86300_b.jpg
    Because I really wanted to get a TV and how do you incorporate THAT into a time-traveling story? Beyond my skills.

So, they are settled in the future... the present... oh, you know what I mean, when I rotate to Nichol and what is she trying to do? Eat cake from the cowplant. I sent Kearney out to feed it because obviously his wife is an id.iot - while she settled in to teach Jeffrey what he needs to know to excel in life.
    22945790499_8fc81ed141_b.jpg
    23313693225_e4f87586f2_b.jpg

I needed a break after that!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @suzses, where did you get the teddy bears that are in the twins cribs? They are soooo cute!

I found them in buydebug not long ago. I had never seen them before and I'm not sure what they came with. Lately, as I've been remembering to delete caches a lot (I used to just do it once in a while), many things that refused to show up before have been appearing.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @suzses - meant to say - still love your house!! That Venus on the Half Shell painting is one of my favorites.
    Sookie_54 wrote: »
    I didn't take pictures. :( I think I am going to do it again some time over this long weekend. I am so bad at remembering to take pictures. I'll have to put a sticky note on my computer reminding me. haha
    This week has been crazy. My kindergartner son has been out of school all week. Him and my other son(3) have been exhausting me all day everyday. Then there is a cold front moving in so all I want to do is sleep. And now I have to make a huge dinner tomorrow?!

I'm not so hot at remembering to take them either. Getting somewhat better at it during this challenge. You could just tell us about it for now. :) I'm making hubby cook tomorrow. >:)

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Surreal wrote: »
    @suzses - meant to say - still love your house!! That Venus on the Half Shell painting is one of my favorites.

Thanks, I'm trying to keep it cottage-y, which is getting harder as I'm trying to find things to spend money on. And yes, I love that painting, too. Marshall is more inclined to paint things like that blue and yellow swirly painting or the yellow with red face (that I always think is a fish at first) or the woman's comicbook style face, none of which I would consider something he *should* be painting. LOL

Changing the subject, when I found Morida, I read her family's description and learned basically that people in DV were isolated in the past due to the dragons. Morida's family brought the technology that keeps the dragons as babies, which allowed the town to join the modern world. Or at least that's my version of it. So the past and present mingle there. I was also going sort of times past (loosely), but I don't mind using the little-bit-of-both idea when it can't be helped. Seriously, it's pretty well impossible to keep the present out of a Sims 3 game, unless you mod it a lot, I suppose. You didn't like my "wooden rune box" tv on the wall? LOL I needed to buy something, what can I say. There's also a car outside, but I made their preferred vehicles their bicycles and the car rarely moves. I'll have to make a garage to hide it in sometime soon.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    That's just it - had I read any backstory I wouldn't have gone with the whole time traveling thing to begin with (or had I really thought about it! lol), so this is just for continuity's sake. lol

And yes, I caught the whole wooden rune box thing - but continuity errors make me nuts so rather than having to make any, which I know I will, it's easier to go with the whole civilization separated from the modern world but now joining it story. ;)
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I didn't take pictures. :( I think I am going to do it again some time over this long weekend. I am so bad at remembering to take pictures. I'll have to put a sticky note on my computer reminding me. haha
    This week has been crazy. My kindergartner son has been out of school all week. Him and my other son(3) have been exhausting me all day everyday. Then there is a cold front moving in so all I want to do is sleep. And now I have to make a huge dinner tomorrow?!

Okay, so I'm reading along and going to reply as I come to things so I don't forget what I've read. My memory is pretty bad on most days.

As for dinner tomorrow? No, no one "has" to make a big dinner tomorrow. If we have the resources to do it we "get" to make a big dinner tomorrow. :smiley: I've had health problems for about the last seventeen years and believe me, I'd give almost anything to be able to stand in the kitchen all day tomorrow cooking.

Yeah, kindergarteners during bad weather at home can get a little nerve-racking. I home-schooled mine so they were home under foot all the time. There are a lot of things they can do at that age, including prep with tomorrow's dinner. By the time mine were six I had them running all manner of errands for me, like grabbing something I needed from the cupboard or the fridge. And if you can believe it, at that time of the oldest one's lives we lived in a 400-square-foot dwelling with a kitchen so small there was barely room to turn around. Oh yeah, fun times! LOL When I just couldn't take it any more I'd put them in front of a movie for a while or together we'd watch something on PBS. It was also amazing how long they could sit on the couch and watch me play Super Mario 2.

@Charlottesmom that's a very intriguing sounding challenge but it's my opinion that $50,000 is way too much money. I have built starter homes that can outfit families of five for around $20,000 so maybe $30,000-35,000 would be better. I like the idea of building up instead of out.

@Surreal how does that whole traveling in time thing work? I don't have ITF but if I can get my game performing well might put it on a Christmas list. I don't have all the expansion packs but out of all I don't have that is the single one I know I would enjoy the most.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    @BSIRegina - for my story's purposes there was no actual time traveling - it was just story :) The ITF exp. was fun - I didn't really play through a lot of the content but what happens is this portal thingie spawns on your lot and a guy shows up telling you to go through - when you do, you're in a new world - everything is futuristic - you can explore bot building and creating... eh - whatever you create to give the bots different skills - you collect nanites that are kinda like bugs (they are collected the same way - they crawl around, you catch them), then you create chips, giving your nano bot a new skill. It's fun - there's hover boards and the jet pack thing - you can track down descendents, etc. You can play through the content and create either a dystopia or utopia - and you can check past lottery numbers so when you go back to your "present" you can play the lotto and win. hahahaha If you think you'd enjoy it then definitely put it on the list - lots of content. I'm still trying to figure out the armoire thing - isn't there one that you can upgrade and go to Narnia in?
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    BSIRegina wrote: »

Okay, so I'm reading along and going to reply as I come to things so I don't forget what I've read. My memory is pretty bad on most days.

As for dinner tomorrow? No, no one "has" to make a big dinner tomorrow. If we have the resources to do it we "get" to make a big dinner tomorrow. :smiley: I've had health problems for about the last seventeen years and believe me, I'd give almost anything to be able to stand in the kitchen all day tomorrow cooking.

Yeah, kindergarteners during bad weather at home can get a little nerve-racking. I home-schooled mine so they were home under foot all the time. There are a lot of things they can do at that age, including prep with tomorrow's dinner. By the time mine were six I had them running all manner of errands for me, like grabbing something I needed from the cupboard or the fridge. And if you can believe it, at that time of the oldest one's lives we lived in a 400-square-foot dwelling with a kitchen so small there was barely room to turn around. Oh yeah, fun times! LOL When I just couldn't take it any more I'd put them in front of a movie for a while or together we'd watch something on PBS. It was also amazing how long they could sit on the couch and watch me play Super Mario 2.

@Charlottesmom that's a very intriguing sounding challenge but it's my opinion that $50,000 is way too much money. I have built starter homes that can outfit families of five for around $20,000 so maybe $30,000-35,000 would be better. I like the idea of building up instead of out.

@Surreal how does that whole traveling in time thing work? I don't have ITF but if I can get my game performing well might put it on a Christmas list. I don't have all the expansion packs but out of all I don't have that is the single one I know I would enjoy the most.

@BSIRegina, $50,000 actually was quite a bit to get rid of, I kept upgrading beds and appliances! I actually got mad when I still has $12,000 to get rid of. I will try with $30,000. :wink:
    @Surreal Well then, see how good you are at telling a story? LOL

@Charlottesmom I'm thinking even with 30,000 they'd be able to have some pretty nice stuff right off the bat which wouldn't be a bad thing because as a person plays they don't want to end up having to upgrade a lot of stuff they bought previously but at the same time that is quite a bit of money to burn through.
    I'm testing out $30,000 right now. Looks good so far...
    edited November 2015
    Threatened some house pictures. I'm way ahead in my challenge, possibly done? Will still be playing these sims and DV for a while though.

Stage six: Where I enlarged the bedrooms, primarily to make room for the second crib and get a rocker in the master bedroom. I put a 2x4 section on the back of each of the existing bedrooms at this point.

(Edited to add: Erm, wrong floor plan because the fireplace is already there. It does show you what happened with the bedrooms, though.)

Screenshot-93202.jpg

The back changed for the worse. LOL Working out the roofs at the different stages is pretty frustrating sometimes, but it is what it is.

Screenshot-86202.jpg

Screenshot-87202.jpg

Thinking the front didn't change at this point, but I took some nice shots at different times and got a great sunset and the color of the water in the pond, ahhh . . .

Screenshot-88202.jpg

Screenshot-90%202.jpg

Post edited by suzses on
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Stage seven: Frustration time.

This time I decided to make the living area a little larger and brought the entire front of the house forward. Also enlarged the porch a bit and moved my bench from indoors to the porch. I figured at this point, with lots of places to sit inside, it wouldn't be cheating to have a bench on the porch, because it's not like they need it for seating.

I needed to move the chimney (it and the fireplace were new) a bit and delete two squares off the front left to make things work. In doing so, I wasn't able to replace the chimney top, and I ended up shorting myself the two squares. Decided that would just have to do.

Screenshot-94%202.jpg

Screenshot-95202.jpg

Screenshot-97202.jpg

Screenshot-98202.jpg

I think there are a total of 6 more stages yet that are completed :o : One more enlargement of the living area, two of the bedrooms/baths, and an outbuilding that had 3 stages. It's feeling finished, and I'm ready to start concentrating on something else . . . maybe buying a business, and saving up to help the kids when they're ready to strike out on their own. I'll just work on the rest of the already completed updates a little at a time.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @Suzses it looks so cozy! I just love what you've done with it.

I ended up having an adventurous day but not in this challenge. I was getting ready to start the Nothing Is Free challenge yesterday when I remembered I needed to check how many frames per second my game is running. It wasn't good. In Edit Town mode it was running at anywhere from 350 to 400, about a hundred less in Live Mode. I started digging around the internet trying to figure out the best way to get it under control and decided my NVidia control panel should be the best way but it didn't work. Finally this morning with some help of more knowledgeable people than I, I finally got it fixed up with 3Booter. I had this "brilliant" idea that this might have been causing all my problems with CASt in Build/Buy so I loaded up a lot and threw down ten pieces of furniture and started dragging patterns onto them. I declare, that solved the whole problem! Those patterns dragged over those pieces of furniture like a hot knife sliding on butter.

I didn't play 4x4 today, instead got started on the NIF challenge. Now that I have the FPS fixed I'm really looking forward to going back into Bellatrix and seeing if some of the other problems I was having there are fixed too.
    edited November 2015
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    @Suzses it looks so cozy! I just love what you've done with it.

I ended up having an adventurous day but not in this challenge. I was getting ready to start the Nothing Is Free challenge yesterday when I remembered I needed to check how many frames per second my game is running. It wasn't good. In Edit Town mode it was running at anywhere from 350 to 400, about a hundred less in Live Mode. I started digging around the internet trying to figure out the best way to get it under control and decided my NVidia control panel should be the best way but it didn't work. Finally this morning with some help of more knowledgeable people than I, I finally got it fixed up with 3Booter. I had this "brilliant" idea that this might have been causing all my problems with CASt in Build/Buy so I loaded up a lot and threw down ten pieces of furniture and started dragging patterns onto them. I declare, that solved the whole problem! Those patterns dragged over those pieces of furniture like a hot knife sliding on butter.

I didn't play 4x4 today, instead got started on the NIF challenge. Now that I have the FPS fixed I'm really looking forward to going back into Bellatrix and seeing if some of the other problems I was having there are fixed too.

Thanks for the compliment :)

Sounds like you had some day. You know, I limited mine through NVidia control panel, too, and assumed it was working. My game is pretty good, but there are times that I can really relate to what you're saying about those patterns. Maybe I should check and see what mine is actually doing . . .

And, dagnabit, I made the mistake of reading the thread about worlds for the NIF challenge, and I'm afraid it's peaking my interest. Nooo . . . lol
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Lolz, I know that feeling like I probably should have just never even looked in that thread but I'm glad I did because the world I'm using, Avalon, is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. It's on the small side and really doesn't hold more than one or two lots over 40x40 and most smaller than that which will probably help me get it to completion. I've run into a few problems with it on the world building level so since its creator is nowhere around I'm going to extract and fix it for my personal use.

Yes, I think you should check your fps. I was surprised mine was running so high. I know my card is a reasonably good one but even when I bought it last spring it was practically ancient and the way CASt was working made me dread trying to build anything. On top of that I'd like to finish my world some day and I really need these kinks worked out before I can do that.
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Y'all look like y'all have been having fun! I am on vacation and not simming. Hopefully, I can get some done this weekend. I am pretty excited about this challenge and my NIF/perfect genetics challenge and my legacy challenge. I'm all about the challenges. I have some free play saves as well, but challenges are awesome.

One day I hope to do the apocalypse challenge, but I'm not going to start anymore until I finish the 3 I have started! Only 4 more generations to play through until my legacy challenge is done.

Happy simming y'all!!
    Wow excellent updates!
    @suzses Your house is coming along great!! A single bench outside is not cheating as long as it was added at or after the first add on, I wish there was a porch swing available...

My husband is planning on wiping my "old" laptop (it is only 2 years old) and I'm buying a 2009 Sims 3 disc with code to throw on there with some of the duplicate EPs I bought by mistake. Sims 2 will also have a starter disc on the laptop. I will keep My current laptop chock full of only Sims 3 without 169 patch for hopefully a nice long time.
    edited November 2015
    Love the house @suzses - that's one thing I wish I was better at - building. Ugh. My houses are either adapted EA houses or big ugly squares. lol And yay! for another NIF challenge player! lol

Glad your game is running better, @BSIRegina - lag bites.

@Charlottesmom - I need a laptop for this!!! lol

Edited because BSIRegina does not = lag bites. Wut the ...????
    @Surreal I haven't checked in Bellatrix yet to see if I still have lag while playing or not but if I do it'll be because there are so many Sims and buildings. I moved over sixty Sims into it to start and of course on top of that there are the regular service people plus cash register people plus about a dozen mixologists and the paparazzi. Normally I'm the kind of person who doesn't do something until there's a need and playing NIF last night forced me into a situation like that. Because of the paparazzi practically living on Penelope's lawn I had to start learning how to use the Register mod to get rid of them and I lowered the numbers of the amount of wild and stray animals. Next time I'm in Bellatrix I need to learn how to assign certain Sims to cash registers and as Mixologists then look around town and get rid of about half the bars there, disable the paparazzi and wipe their shiny hind-ends off the map for good (my word, never have I seen a more annoying group of Sims in my life!) then find all the current register attendants and mixologists and dress them up in proper attire and start sending them one by one to permanent homes in the graveyard. >:)

Even though they're a pain space-wise I much prefer a desktop over a laptop model. In the amount of time I've had this desktop computer I've watched other people go through multiple laptops. In that time (which is either five or six years now, I can't remember exactly) I've upgraded RAM and this is my third video card. With some careful shopping I've also managed to snag fairly expensive type keyboard and mouse for cheap to replace the ones that constantly wear out. I got a used clicky keyboard off eBay for around $30 and a funky "spider queen" mouse made by a Chinese company off Amazon for around the same price. It took me almost all one day to find this mouse. I have a lot of tendon problems in my hand (it's from weeding) and so many of the mice are built so they're concave on the left side. Having to hold a mouse like that sets off that pain in a massive way. My mouse is symmetrical without that inset part and I can use it for extended periods without any problems.
    edited November 2015
    Stage eight: The living area expands some more. The builder is obsessed with fixing the chimney and thinks the living areas are still too small. But baby number three (and hopefully only number three) needs a place for his crib . . . oh well, next time.

The end result on the inside is seen here (we have musical instruments now and an owl :) )
    Screenshot-112.jpg

On the outside, a proper chimney, a new front door and larger porch area
    cd590fc8-d2fb-44ee-a47f-62355dfaa03f.jpg

A few new things in the backyard: A pavilion with birdbath and tree house
    Screenshot-117.jpg

It was time to redo the roofs. Overall better, but the pretty gable won't fit any spot now :( (It was on the front before, but I thought maybe I could at least get it on a side or the back, but nooo.)
    Screenshot-111.jpg

Screenshot-110.jpg

Screenshot-109.jpg

Screenshot-114.jpg

(Edited because I always see SOMETHING that needs fixed - what's "mustical" lol.)
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Well the new 10x10 building up challenge is impossible, you can only have a total of 4 stories. Oh well....I still like the idea of cramming sims into a very small house. *evil cackle*
    Well the new 10x10 building up challenge is impossible, you can only have a total of 4 stories. Oh well....I still like the idea of cramming sims into a very small house. *evil cackle*

Haha. I like it, too, as long as it's them that are inconvenienced and not me. So, how can you adjust it to 4 stories?

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

You know what? It could always be the 10x10 up/down challenge. :smiley: Maybe build the main floor then one down then one up and so on or vice versa.

Pretty pictures @suzses; I just love your creativity.