Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I wondered what happened to this thread! I was looking for it. Blah, it didn't need to be moved. I got some updates but my mom fell out in the floor so I had to put that in hold to go to the hospital. I shall have updates probably later on this afternoon. Happy simming!
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Sookie_54 Yay! Looking forward to seeing what you did.

@Minx Oh, no. Sorry to hear about your mom. Looking forward to your update, though.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    @Minx, Fast healing wishes for your mom!

I look forward to all updates!

I really don't see why this thread moved when the "what happened in your game today" didn't....it's the same thing IMO.
  • Options
    hugzncuddleshugzncuddles Posts: 223 Member
    Absolutely love this challenge! Haven't played for a while and after reading this thread, I've been inspired to try the challenge for myself. Also, thanks to those who have posted pics of their challenge in Dragon Valley - I bought it a while ago and never played in that world, so guess where my 4x4 sim is based? :) It's a beautiful world, really getting to love the style and decor in Dragon Valley.

Have barely played a sim week yet but so far it's proving to be a good challenge to cope in such a small environment of 4x4. Can't wait for my annual leave soon when I can spend some quality time making progress in this challenge.

Loving everyone's pics so far, looking forward to seeing more! :)
  • Options
    My mom is okay, thank you all! She just got severely dehydrated with this stomach virus.

My update will have to be pictureless because we reached our GB limit with the net. I didn't even know we had one of those.

After getting out of jail Jaspee went back to working out and just say to say living. He became very close with his boss' wife, so much so that they became romantic interests. She she aged up to elder by the next time they met.

Jaspwr has turned out to be a ladies man. Something about being a loner is very attractive to these woman, because he is making friends very easily. (In actually very surprised at how liked he is.) So far he has 3 enemies, one from a girl who wouldn't woohoo with him and two guys who tried to make a move on a girl he was interested in.

Many of " his women" are just his friends only his boss's wife is a romantic interest. He woohoos a ton I'm his shower and so far no off spring. He still has not gotten his first upgrade. (I knew this challenge would go fast if I let it. So I'm not.)
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    @Minx I'm so glad your mom's okay, that kind of thing can be so scary!

Data transfer limits? Yeah, see, this is one of the reasons I look at how a lot of websites are developed, especially news sites with auto-run video, and just shake my head in wonder, and one of the reasons why I think forced digital distribution of video games is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure the people behind those decisions don't live in a world where bandwidth is limited or have slow internet connections so they don't relate to those problems.

I don't know how you deal with your image uploads but do you upload them then allow on-site software to resize them or resize before uploading? I resize before uploading so my pictures are already at anywhere from between 10% to 25% of their original file size. Even without cropping or scaling just the .jpg compression I use makes a noticeable difference.

Ah Jasper! He sounds like the proverbial "misunderstood loner". :lol: In the real world, just the kind of guy your mama warned you about. :smiley:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    Eh, we have never reached our limit before. I'm not concerned about uploading images. It's the fact that my brother got his Xbox one that requires him to always be connected that's the issue. He better be ready to cough up some money for the overages.

I'd like to say that Jasper is misunderstood, but can't convince myself to believe this. He had a rough life and is just trying to find his way... through many partners. Doesn't help that he has commitment issues and is childish. I want him to be the good guy, but it looks like he's just gonna be one of those jerks. In his defense he's always nice to "his women".

He is still a criminal at level 4 now and has traveled to China and France for work. (If only they would have paid for the trip.) Each time he gets halfway to 10000, I spend the money on something. He has the marital arts dummy and a nectar making machine that he has no room for. Hehe. I'm mean. I'd say poor guy, but he seems to be doing well despite his lack of fundage.
  • Options
    My 10x10 keeps freezing up, I had to start over about 3 times, so it is on the back burner for awhile, my 4x4 with Vladimere and Pearl is going well though, will post pictures soon. :smiley:

Funny thing about loners, Connor is a loner AND unflirty yet has no issues making friends with the ladies! I like the sound of your Jasper!
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Ah, the X-Box! Yep, that kind of thing really eats through transfer. Here's an interesting anecdote about that particular piece of equipment. Before it was released and the news was let out that it would require internet connection a lot of people were really upset about that for various reasons. Some like to take their consoles on trips. Others, like you, have data limits they have to work with. Some people have very slow internet connections. One of the people who had worked on the X-Box posted a very snarky reply to these people, "Why would anyone ever want to live in a place like that?" It wasn't very long afterward that this guy left his post. This is just an example of the mind set that goes into these decisions. They are made based on "best case scenarios" because these people have no experience with the opposite end of the spectrum. Of course the PS4 was releasing right about the same time and one of its most heralded features was no internet connection required. :lol:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    @hugzncuddles - will enjoy seeing your posts. :smile:

@Minx - glad to hear that your mother is ok.

As to why they moved it... I have no idea - I agree, it's pretty much the same as "what happened in your game today" but whatever.
  • Options
    @BSIRegina I'm all about Xbox, but when they made their announcement,I refused to buy next gen and thus have not. I stay a console behind always and have no desire to move on.

@Charlottesmom sorry to hear about your game freezing. I like Jasper too!

He is now a father. Two of his lady friends that I know of have given birth to his kiddos, so far.First is Maribel Bubble, her mother is Justine Bubble and she's married to Ididro Bubble. Justine and her husband have no children together at this time.

About a day later with his promotion to bagman (level 5) and earning enough to get his first expansion, Lacey Rooter came into the world. She is the second child to Dawn Rooter. Dawn has a son, Davon Rooter with her husband , Moises.

Jasper has not rolled a want to a particular job so I'll wait to see if he does.
  • Options
    Sookie_54Sookie_54 Posts: 429 Member
    @Minx I've been right where your mom is. I know she is going through hell. It is awful to be sick and dehydrated. And IV fluids suck! I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

EA just wants to be annoying and move our posts around.

I ended up doing a complete uninstall and reinstall so I didn't play too much yesterday as I have all of the EPs, most SPs and tons of store content. Now that everything is back on my computer my game is working wonderfully.

Now for my new 4x4:
    Starting this one in Lucky Palms(which I just got)
    I forgot to add the laptop before I took these pics
    Screenshot-2_1.jpg

Screenshot-3_1.jpg

This is Monique Griffith
    Screenshot-8_1.jpg

Immediately after I started I sent her to the grocery store to buy a few things and she decided to dumpster dive. I was not amused but if that is what you want to do Monique whatever.
    Screenshot-11_1.jpg
    Screenshot-10_1.jpg

I haven't totally decided what I want her to do for a job yet. So far this is a slow going game.
  • Options
    @Minx Jasper is a total horn dog isn't he? It's funny he is woohooing with all these married ladies haha
  • Options
    Here is what Vlad and Pearl have been up to today, they have been making $$ by dumpster diving and collecting. The dumpsters behind the grocery store were a goldmine the first day, I only let them each dive 3 times but even then they made over $3,000 when I sold the stuff, they went over to the park and collected flowers and seeds too.
    Screenshot-120_zpsdjc1d0de.jpg

They did so well in the first 3 days they got their first addition!
    Screenshot-130_zpsiaeet4ei.jpg

And are becoming VERY close!
    Screenshot-134_zpsr6syhsql.jpg

They are now boyfriend/girlfriend!
    Screenshot-105_zpsmfvscrcw.jpg

Hope to have another addition or two tomorrow or the day after...maybe of the vampire/human type! ;)
  • Options
    Ahhh!!! My game decided to kick me out. Idk when I saved last.

@Charlottesmom loving your pictures. :)
  • Options
    @Sookie_54 lovely updates. Sucks to hear your game closed out on you.

I'd say that these married women just aren't happy in their relationships or need a little spice to help make life interesting. I love this game play. I am taking my sweet time with this save. He almost has enough money for his third expansion.

I wonder if he will want to settle down, ever. He joined his second profession of professional sports. I am trying to see if he can make a lovely alien baby. I want him to have a happy family. I just don't want to make him do something he doesn't want to do. =(
  • Options
    @Minx thank you. :)

Bored housewives need lovin too. ;)
    That's kind of how I'm playing Monique. She has quite to gambling problem. Have pictures to update with tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Charlottesmom so, I got a question. My sim got asked to move in by one of his lady friends. I know I can't keep any money she brings with her, however, in most challenges I call move-ins inventories far game. Is this the case? I of course would be abiding by the 20000 rule since it is technically income and would continue to maintain this amount even though I'm not sure she will continue to work. (I figure it wouldn't be far to flip flop between the 20000 and 10000.)

The reason I ask is because she came with a boat in her inventory worth 45000. That would get me 2 more expansions but would still maintain a level of difficulty because now Jaapsr has to earn double the amount, even if she doesn't work.

As for an update. Justine Bubble and Jasper went to hang out at the city hall. And by hang out I mean woohoo. He had rolled the want to kiss her, so I let them make out. That turned the meeting into a date. So, I figure hey, why not. They also turned to romantic interest.

They went to the baristo for drinks and then chatted a little out front. I was trying to figure out what to do next when Justine asked Jasper to move in. I figured why not. She's still married to her husband, but brought the child her and Jaspsr had.

I built the two expansions Jasper earned before she moved in and am waiting on the NPC inventory verdict while trying to decide if it's even really worth it. Justine wants to garden, so I might make a garden and let her, while she stays home and takes care of the kid, but ill count that as income and let her join the gardener career and let her do nectar making.

Maribel, Jaspers first child, if I remember correctly, is a red head like Jasper, I can't wait to see what she looks like.

The same night they moved in together Justine showed signs of nausea. I wonder who the child belongs to. And I wonder if she will divorce her husband.
  • Options
    Minx wrote: »
    @Charlottesmom so, I got a question. My sim got asked to move in by one of his lady friends. I know I can't keep any money she brings with her, however, in most challenges I call move-ins inventories far game. Is this the case? I of course would be abiding by the 20000 rule since it is technically income and would continue to maintain this amount even though I'm not sure she will continue to work. (I figure it wouldn't be far to flip flop between the 20000 and 10000.)

The reason I ask is because she came with a boat in her inventory worth 45000. That would get me 2 more expansions but would still maintain a level of difficulty because now Jaapsr has to earn double the amount, even if she doesn't work.

As for an update. Justine Bubble and Jasper went to hang out at the city hall. And by hang out I mean woohoo. He had rolled the want to kiss her, so I let them make out. That turned the meeting into a date. So, I figure hey, why not. They also turned to romantic interest.

They went to the baristo for drinks and then chatted a little out front. I was trying to figure out what to do next when Justine asked Jasper to move in. I figured why not. She's still married to her husband, but brought the child her and Jaspsr had.

I built the two expansions Jasper earned before she moved in and am waiting on the NPC inventory verdict while trying to decide if it's even really worth it. Justine wants to garden, so I might make a garden and let her, while she stays home and takes care of the kid, but ill count that as income and let her join the gardener career and let her do nectar making.

Maribel, Jaspers first child, if I remember correctly, is a red head like Jasper, I can't wait to see what she looks like.

The same night they moved in together Justine showed signs of nausea. I wonder who the child belongs to. And I wonder if she will divorce her husband.

Boy has Jasper been a busy boy!! I think her inventory is IMO fair game. :smiley:
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Minx Jasper is so scandalous I love it.

Monique earned two expansions last night between her gambling problem, fishing, and harvesting fruits and vegetables.
    But first I got this look from her.
    Screenshot-2_2.jpg

Wishing well fishing
    Screenshot-4_2.jpg

First expansion
    Screenshot-5_2.jpg
    Screenshot-6_2.jpg

Second expansion
    Screenshot-9_2.jpg
    Screenshot-10_2.jpg

Monique's love interest Darren
    Screenshot-12_2.jpg

And a little woohoo in the shower
    Screenshot-13_2.jpg
  • Options
    @Charlottesmom Thanks for answering! I'm all for making my game harder. So, I'll sell it and the poor guy will just have to earn 20000 alone until mom gets a source of income. (Still deciding.)

@Sookie_54 He is! I've never played a sim this way before and her moving in was not my plan, but since I've never had an npc ask one of my active Sims to move in before ( I'd only read about it being possible.) I was super excited and HAD to accept the opportunity.

Love Monique. Hope she doesn't get pregnant that could throw a wrench in her gambling problem... Hopefully.
  • Options
    Ariel0105Ariel0105 Posts: 329 Member
    @Charlottesmom does a bunk bed count a a single bed or no? because I -face palm- decided to make it harder and started off with 2 kids lol
    amazing-horse-pictures.jpg
    my wishlist
    my wishlist
  • Options
    Ariel0105 wrote: »
    @Charlottesmom does a bunk bed count a a single bed or no? because I -face palm- decided to make it harder and started off with 2 kids lol

You only need to worry about a single bed if you start with a singleton (I do a loft bed so you can fit stuff under it), if you have more than one Sim go for whatever is easiest to smoosh in the room. :smiley:

• Options
    Ariel0105Ariel0105 Posts: 329 Member
    Ok thank you! Lifesaver!! Lol
    amazing-horse-pictures.jpg
    my wishlist
    my wishlist
  • Options
    Adventure4U1Adventure4U1 Posts: 239 Member
    I love this Challenge, and as soon as I get home, I'm going to do it. But not pictures. Photobucket's refusing to let me log in, so I'm using Wordpress for any picture heavy blogs. Anyway, I think there's a way to combine the ideas. First, I'm going to start off with a 4*4 block. I will build up, down, or left, right, or back, front, but only section at a time. Also, each floor UP OR DOWN will cost an extra 5,000
    I'm going to make it easy at first, by starting with 5,000 bucks and a 1% percent Property Tax per job per sum per level. It just means that 2 Sims both in level 1 of their jobs will be paying 2% in tax when they build. But if there both in level 10, it's 20% total This is just building money. I'll FamilyFunds Cheat it. The furniture and decorations is taken out of the rest of the money.

I am thinking of the upstairs Balcony that I'll probably be using the first time I have the upstairs. The ladder is glitches and the rotary stairs need 2*2 to work. (no room upstairs)

Blocks on first 4 for a person wham's just graduated from College and has gotten her job
    5,000 * 1.03= 5,150.
    Attains fourth level and wants to build second floor.
    10,000* 1.04= 10,400
    Get married. Her spouse gets a job on first level. They want to add first floor for Baby's room and second floor bedroom
    5,000 * (1+.04+.01) 5,250
    10,000* 1.05= 10,500
    And so on. The higher the career level, the more expensive the block. The greater the number of Sims, the greater cost of the block. And the higher the floor, the more expensive (4 Floor is 20,000)

House will be complete once the first fourth floor is finished. I hope this makes it a little easier for you.
    But you can keep the option of 10,000 and 5,000. But with all that, I think it might take 10 generations to build a house. (25,000 for the upper floor and 2 working Sims means 35,00) But that would be fun too. And I might give that version a shot, after I try the first.
    Life is an Adventure
    Not a movie