Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 4x4 Challenge for Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    I kinda wanted to look into an Adam and Eve. I don't mind emptying the town, I do it all the time and I kinda don't trust the exchange where I've seen pre-empties.

Yes, keep the community lots, though you really only need the library, fire house and or gym at first, I'd keep the fire house if you want to try emptying the entire town and earn back the buildings....modified Adam and Eve without the breeding. ;) I do always keep the buildings in the library bin, I actually go to my other towns and collect the ones I like and bin them too. :smiley:

The pre-emptied towns will be fine. For one thing I personally knew Sookielee who is one of the people who uploaded them and I've used her stuff in my game for years now. There are also emptied saves over at MTS that you can download then put in your saves folder and open just like you would any old save file.

suzses wrote: »
    <snippety-do-da>
    Just FYI, I discovered today that the current Adam and Eve rules aren't at all the same as they once were, or what I played. Other than the fact it gives you a chunk of money (that you don't need) to start it, it looks almost identical to NIF now. When I found it, it didn't have the skilling requirements, or the limit of one community lot per sim. You could also add in some houses and sims if you wanted, but you couldn't play them unless they married into your challenge family. Wondering if the same person (or group of people) created them both. </snipety-ay>

I agree. It may well have been the same people or person running both challenges but the Adam and Eve Challenge has definitely been updated with c&p from the NIF Challenge. At any rate, I like the possibility of moving in a Sim family or three to not play. There's no way I'm wanting to play this thing in rotation but I wouldn't mind some bodies as potential mates for some of these Sims. At the rate I play I probably won't end up with enough just from NPCs and invisible friends to sustain a population. I'm having a devil of a time just trying to find someone for poor Garland to marry. I was working on the Pets social worker but so far there's no option to ask her to move in. Does anyone know if that kind of thing will work through marriage? I haven't totally run out of NPC options for him yet. There hasn't been a burglary in this reality and we haven't hired a maid. We also haven't had a fire yet. Maybe it's time to buy a fireplace and put a rug in front of it.

You're lucky no stinking burgular has visited yet, I had 4 of them in Vlad and Pearl's 4x4 play! Though if you need a mate anyone available is good. My houses always seem to get robbed at least once. Do you have paparazzi wandering around or tourists? Even with my totally cleared out town I still had about 2-3 of each floating around town, not exactly the pick of the litter but at least a bit of an option.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @suzses, the fire house is great for "own nothing/have nothing" challenges because you can find everything you need to live there, they have beds, fridge, showers and toilets, everything you need for keeping fed, clean and getting some quality sleep until the money starts rolling in. The gym is good but no bed or couch, the library is good but no shower (unless you have innappropriate and can take sponge baths in a sink) or access to food (unless you have a child who can use the kids oven).

OK, I see now. The only time I played that type of game, I used the run-down version of the Then and Now Century Manor.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    ^ Just to clarify, I put it in as a community lot, an abandoned house.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    @suzses, the fire house is great for "own nothing/have nothing" challenges because you can find everything you need to live there, they have beds, fridge, showers and toilets, everything you need for keeping fed, clean and getting some quality sleep until the money starts rolling in. The gym is good but no bed or couch, the library is good but no shower (unless you have innappropriate and can take sponge baths in a sink) or access to food (unless you have a child who can use the kids oven).

OK, I see now. The only time I played that type of game, I used the run-down version of the Then and Now Century Manor.

I'm going to get that today, I've had my eye on it for awhile!
  • Options
    No one faint, please . . . I'm going to finally give you a final report on my 4x4 in Dragon Valley. Since I had the rest of it in this thread, I thought I'd keep it all here.

A couple random things to start . . .

Would you trust your children to this sim's care? (Perhaps I should have invested in a cow plant, too.)
    Screenshot-80203.jpg

Long before I had any use for it (not sure I ever really have had a legitimate use for it), I bought my sims a water wheel, because . . . well, you know, how this challenge is . . . and how hard it was getting for me to find things appropriate for their little cottage lot. It sat beside the car on the edge of the lot, and I tried to ignore them both, until I got around to building an outbuilding. It was hard to place the water wheel against the building in the little (I'm sure inadequate) stream I put in. It wanted to sink too low into the stream, but I finally got it so I thought it looked acceptable.
    Screenshot-104202.jpg

But, as soon as I went back to live mode, Marshall ran over there to fish. Who knew you could fish from a water wheel? Or that your first catch would be a dragon fish. But, the more surprising thing was his sinking into the ground . . .
    Screenshot-101202.jpg

The night Morida and Marshall's third (and last) child was born, they headed out together toward the car to go to the hospital. Or, at least I thought they'd do the sensible thing and take the car for a change.
    Screenshot-82204.jpg

However . . .
    Screenshot-81203.jpg

Marshall kept standing there and Morida rode the whole way to the hospital. Once she was on her way home with her bicycle tucked in her backpack, I looked around for what happened to Marshall.
    Screenshot-83204.jpg

Yes, he was running down the road on foot with Brussels on his shoulder and hadn't yet gotten far from the house. Sims!
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    The house ended up 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and not too cramped. There is a separate garage with back room for the little dragons. I even got the gables I liked back on the roofs, front and back.

Screenshot-228.jpg

Screenshot-227.jpg

Screenshot-218.jpg

Screenshot-219.jpg

Screenshot-92203.jpg

The kids are growing up. Here is Maeve *enjoying* her homework. She should be glad she has a school to go to and won't grow an evil coward. :pensive:
    Screenshot-216.jpg

Merna
    Screenshot-221.jpg

Micheal, after spending his infancy sleeping in the hall (because *someone* had to have a perfect chimney before building him a bedroom), is learning and growing.
    Screenshot-106202.jpg

I really enjoyed these sims, Dragon Valley, and the 4x4 challenge. I'd like to get back to playing them after I get over my obsession with the NIF challenge.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    I would really like to post something I don't have to fix afterwards, just occasionally, but doesn't seem possible with me. :/ Learned the hard way recently that editing a post with pictures can sometimes cause it to go to the moon, so not touching the above.

Just a couple things . . . Marshall actually caught a death fish.

And, I was trying to say Maeve won't grow *into* and evil coward.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I don't know how I missed these updates, @suzses - but they are great and I love your pictures!! I have that paddlewheel thing and haven't tried to use it - you did good (we're just not gonna mention the whole sinking into the ground thing, k?). Hmmm... I've finished my 4x4 but seeing your pictures makes me want to go revisit Nichol and Kearney :smile:
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I'm trying this.

Anya Florio owns a large plot of land, with a tiny house, on the edge of Midnight Hollow.
    She was going to survive off her garden and collecting, but winter came along, and so she got a part time job to make it though.
    She did have all the stuff in her house, as required, but got burgled in the middle of the night, a few days into the challenge, and her microwave was stolen. So now she only eats the fruits and veggies she grows. Or visits the local cafe, and spends out of her bills fund.

Interesting challenge.
    I'll post pics eventually.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    I'm trying this.

Anya Florio owns a large plot of land, with a tiny house, on the edge of Midnight Hollow.
    She was going to survive off her garden and collecting, but winter came along, and so she got a part time job to make it though.
    She did have all the stuff in her house, as required, but got burgled in the middle of the night, a few days into the challenge, and her microwave was stolen. So now she only eats the fruits and veggies she grows. Or visits the local cafe, and spends out of her bills fund.

Interesting challenge.
    I'll post pics eventually.

Sounds like she is having a challenging start, my couple got burgled 4 times...hope that doesn't happen to Anya (love that name!!).
  • Options
    > @Charlottesmom said:
    > Sounds like she is having a challenging start, my couple got burgled 4 times...hope that doesn't happen to Anya (love that name!!).

Things have gotten more interesting.
    She went to a party across the road, she's become friends with the neighbours, and things may have moved beyond friendship.
    One night at a party is all it can take.
    A hasty shotgun wedding followed.
    She really only went to the party for the free food.

She's still only halfway to the new extension, so its a little crowded in their tiny home.
    On the upside, her new hubby has a job, so she doesn't need her part time job any more, and the food she grows is now just for them.
  • Options
    Yay! I can finally post pics.

Anyas tiny home
    tumblr_nzncymK3xu1v2n804o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nzncg8EVEU1v2n804o1_540.jpg

Anya likes to tend her garden at night
    tumblr_nznd1uEq7t1v2n804o1_540.jpg

By day, she tends the community garden
    tumblr_nzndih9EhV1v2n804o1_540.jpg

Anya and the boy from across the road
    tumblr_nzndm4qHtK1v2n804o1_540.jpg

Letter writing, to across the road.
    tumblr_nzndp5L6gL1v2n804o1_540.jpg

Cinderella went to the ball I mean, Anya went to a party, across the road.
    tumblr_nzndtmkmhY1v2n804o1_540.jpg

And washed the dishes. You can take cinderella out of the kitchen, and she'll walk back in.
    tumblr_nzndud2kYr1v2n804o1_540.jpg

• Options
    @Movotti Yay, pictures. Nicely done. Loving Cinderella in the kitchen.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Well done, @Movotti - I like your Cinderella... lol

Is the microwave usable like that? Not that it matters - was just curious.
  • Options
    You CAN use a microwave on a corner counter like that. I couldn't use my own, though, on first stage of 4x4 without another empty counter top available. Not sure why you'd need one to stick a frozen dinner in the micro, but that's how it went.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I'm thinking maybe next time I restart my computer I'll get back to my 4x4. I started working on some lots for the NIF and am trying to get the hang of NPC apartments.

And boy oh howdy did I speak too soon about burglars in my NIF Challenge. Penelope was hit four or five nights in a row. Every night she jumped out of bed and whopped the burglar's hind end but good and she STILL came back for more. One night no one had even gone to bed yet and most of them were outside working in the yard. The last time it happened I finally decided I'd had enough of that noise and used MC to reset her before she got into the house just so I didn't have to go through it yet again. There is such a thing as overkill.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    I'm thinking maybe next time I restart my computer I'll get back to my 4x4. I started working on some lots for the NIF and am trying to get the hang of NPC apartments.

And boy oh howdy did I speak too soon about burglars in my NIF Challenge. Penelope was hit four or five nights in a row. Every night she jumped out of bed and whopped the burglar's hind end but good and she STILL came back for more. One night no one had even gone to bed yet and most of them were outside working in the yard. The last time it happened I finally decided I'd had enough of that noise and used MC to reset her before she got into the house just so I didn't have to go through it yet again. There is such a thing as overkill.

Darn burglars!!! :/ at least you had a butt whooper, mine just stood and watched, or griped about the alarm.

I'm in the process of redoing (gutting completely) Riverview, got everything placed as I like and am moving Sims back in and redecorating houses. I had to redo Vladimere because he was one of my favorite sims who when I bought my new set up on Steam was not in the library (it was obviously cleared out due to it being a totally new game), I downloaded Sunlit Tides and immediately went there to kidnap Pearl for Vlad, so Vlad and Pearl are going to be back together. I'm thinking about teenageifying half the town too...I wanna age down all my favorites who now have parents and let them run amock. Should be interesting!
  • Options
    They need the brave trait to beat up on the burglars. I knew this from past game experience and it's one of the reasons I gave that trait to her.

If you had used a thumb drive or something to copy those Sims from one game to another you could have saved yourself hours and hours of "work".

I'm just sitting here today looking at my monitor trying to figure out what to do. We're in the process of getting our house reroofed and bless the guy's heart, he's worked so hard to make sure he doesn't wake me in the morning (hubby warned him ahead of time of my chronic insomnia) but this morning one of the dag-gummed dogs started barking at him and just wouldn't shut up. Now I'm tired and feeling really cranky. Maybe I'll just work on one of my CAW projects for a while.
  • Options
    They need the brave trait to beat up on the burglars. I knew this from past game experience and it's one of the reasons I gave that trait to her.

If you had used a thumb drive or something to copy those Sims from one game to another you could have saved yourself hours and hours of "work".

I'm just sitting here today looking at my monitor trying to figure out what to do. We're in the process of getting our house reroofed and bless the guy's heart, he's worked so hard to make sure he doesn't wake me in the morning (hubby warned him ahead of time of my chronic insomnia) but this morning one of the dag-gummed dogs started barking at him and just wouldn't shut up. Now I'm tired and feeling really cranky. Maybe I'll just work on one of my CAW projects for a while.

I actually had fun redoing all my favorites, I even did Connor and Jared Frio yesterday so they could be brothers with their copied then tweaked "cousins" (Brandon and Nate Frio) that have been in my game for awhile, I also gave them parents Lillian and Chester Frio. Connor's lips were driving me NUTS and still are not an exact duplicate but close enough. It took about 2 hours but it was fun, I like my favorites to have families, I like seeing big family trees.

We did our roof a few years back, we actually did it in stages because we have a huge roof, the guys were great and never woke me up mostly due to the fact that the kids have to be on the bus by 6:30 so I was awake anyways. I'm knocking on 50 and the sleeping issues have reared their ugly head, I wake up around 3:30 pretty much every night. Sometimes I go back to sleep sometimes I'm awake for good. It's so much fun to be going through "that time of life!"....
  • Options
    I've always had trouble sleeping at night (I am by my very nature a night owl) but the last few years have made it worse. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed it's always two or three before I get to sleep, even if I wake up way too early. Ditching caffeine helped a little and keeping the bedroom on the cold side helps even more. My body is still in a habit it got into during the worst of the hot flashes, in which I would get to sleep but wake up about twenty minutes later. Sometimes I can easily get back to sleep, other times it's a struggle.

It sounds like you had fun making them and yeah, adding in a family tree has to be nice too. When I populate an empty town I still end up taking some of the single Sims I've downloading and creating a few families with them, like giving some of them children, taking a clone of one Sim and tweaking it a bit to make a sibling, that kind of thing. It sure seems more natural than having a brand new town full of single young adults.
  • Options
    danibostoniandanibostonian Posts: 145 Member
    How do we fit everyting in a 4x4 house? I have a 15x19 studio and its hard to fit that in there
  • Options
    Well, the 4x4 is a temporary thing. There's a list of what you need to get in there for this challenge in the description, and there are some pictures that would serve as examples in the first few pages of this thread.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    How do we fit everyting in a 4x4 house? I have a 15x19 studio and its hard to fit that in there

It's a challenge but like Suzses said it's temporary, all the rules are on page one, if you do give it a try please post pictures. :smiley:
  • Options
    Sookie_54Sookie_54 Posts: 429 Member

It is really fun once you get going. :)
  • Options
    Just posted new pictures in the first post so folks who are interested can get a better idea of what stage 1 looks like. Thinking about starting a new 4x4 with some of my newly teenageified Sims (probably Connor and Jared....*sigh* can't escape the Frio boys...).