Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I also think its a matter of opinion. I've accepted it for what it is to me (though not better than the last two again my personal opinion) but I will say I'm happy with certain aspects of it. If I need my idea of a simming itch scratched I just fire up the previous game and play till my heart's content. I will say since this post was made this game has gotten a lot better... The game at launch was.. well... I'd say that is what would be considered a failure since there was SO much missing, however, if you look at the game now, bugs aside, of course, it's not so bad.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I also think its a matter of opinion. I've accepted it for what it is to me (though not better than the last two again my personal opinion) but I will say I'm happy with certain aspects of it. If I need my idea of a simming itch scratched I just fire up the previous game and play till my heart's content. I will say since this post was made this game has gotten a lot better... The game at launch was.. well... I'd say that is what would be considered a failure since there was SO much missing, however, if you look at the game now, bugs aside, of course, it's not so bad.

I agree, it has gotten so much better since launch. I definitely consider the launch version of TS4 to be a failure.

With that said, TS4 still hasn't really lived up to its potential. It could/should have been so much more. It's a shame the scrapped online version has held the game back so much throughout its lifespan.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    I stopped playing it until the Sims 4 was released, so I think it is Awesome. There just needs to be more things added such as:

1. Date Night (more romantic interactions such as slow dancing, dancing together, walking while holding hands, sitting together, kissing forehead, laying in on top of bed together while kissing or cuddling. Go on a Picnic, sit on a blanket together. Just more romance interactions)
    University Life (attend class with other students, have teachers)

2, Movie Stuff (Have movie theater and building the location. Or, live plays where famous sims perform. Go on dates there. Travel with friends there. ability to go to the movies with friends, stand in line at concession and purchase popcorn, candy, cotton candy, soda. Sit down and eat items while watching a movie.) Lot Type: Movie Theater.

3. Game stuff back (more builds and places to go for teens, children, and toddlers. Pool Table, Ping Pong, Laser Tag, Face painting, slumber parties, bunk beds, build and color pottery items, dance clubs/places for teens only with a bar that only sells non-alcoholic beverages and food) Ride in Go Karts (Go Kart Racing) for all ages, miniature golf, Have a Lot Type Like Fun Zone.

4. Visit a Zoo, Aquarium. Lot Type added for such.

5. Farming

7. There just needs to be more things added for one’s Sims to do. I like doing normal every day activities.

Complaint: Fix it so kids don’t get calls to go to inappropriate places like clubs or parties—come on.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    At launch in 2014? Absolutely. Now, I wouldn't say it is a failure, not due to the DLCs, but due to the free patches.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Old thread... My answer is always basically the same. I loved it from day one and still loving it. Definitely not a failure for me. It's my favorite above all the prior games. There are so many things I want to see come to this game I'm excited for the future of it also. There are some tweaks I'd like to see done.. but time will tell on those.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    I've seen forum replies (and YouTube comments) where people say these six things about The Sims 4:

1. Rename the game to "The Sims 0.5," "The Sims 1.5," or "The Sims 2.5"
    2. Say they were disappointed by the game
    3. Say they like the game
    4. Say they LOVE the game
    5. Claim it to be a remastered version of The Sims 1
    6. Say it was a complete failure that no one will remember, and that it will die

Do you think it was a failure, a disappointment that will probably get better via expansions and patches, or think its a good game?

I don't love Sims 4 as much as Sims 3 and Sims 2, however, I don't think it's a failure exactly. Building on lots is easier in Sims 4. I get disappointed more by the lack of content for the price I pay. I never felt I had to use Mods or CC of any kind with previous games in the franchise. I miss a lot of things we could do in both Sims 2 and Sims 3. I miss content we had and getting my money's worth without any mods or CC. I miss the little touches in the game. I hope when Sims 5 comes out the company learns and listens to what the community wants and gives us the little touches the extra content and makes it extremely fun without any mods or CC.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I thought it would be the spiritual successor of sims 1. At first, it all seems awesome. But then, there's an emptiness after a while. I can't play past generation two. It's like I know I am in a sandbox and everything is somewhat previsible. I can do whatever I want without any consequence. It is as if my sims don't have a mind of their own anymore?
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    For me, Sims 2 is still the best in the series, but Sims 4 is better for me than Sims 3. Being stuck in the same world, or having to start a family over when there was new content, got to be frustrating after a while. Imagine you were living in Sunset Valley and Showtime came out; you either had to spend hours trying to edit in all the new venues or you had to start a brand new save in order to enjoy the new content. And even if you moved your Sims to a new world, they'd arrive having lost all their family relationships; if I want my family's eldest child to move from Willow Creek to San Myshuno when he ages up, I know he'll still be able to visit Mom and Dad or invite them over for dinner. And I don't have to edit my worlds to have a museum or a lounge or a bar in every town, giving me plenty of room to customize my worlds.

Sims 4 did get a rough start, mainly from the absence of toddlers and its overemphasis on single young adult play; not to speak ill of the departed but it seems like the focus of the game changed when Rachel Franklin left (I do hope she's doing well in her career and life paths). I may be totally off base and the game focus would have changed anyway. But since toddlers were patched in early in 2017, plus packs like Parenthood and the focus on home activities in Seasons, it seems to be on a much better footing. I'm interested to see how the game develops over the next several years.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hejix wrote: »
    I thought it would be the spiritual successor of sims 1. At first, it all seems awesome. But then, there's an emptiness after a while. I can't play past generation two. It's like I know I am in a sandbox and everything is somewhat previsible. I can do whatever I want without any consequence. It is as if my sims don't have a mind of their own anymore?

It's because there's no more randomization in Sims behaviours; The original Sims and The Sims 2, both operated on probabilities, different relationship levels, personality settings, (aspirations in TS2), interests, ETC affected their behaviour by pushing probabilities up or down as to whether they'd be drawn to or accept certain interactions, so two sims wouldn't necessarily react to the exact same thing in the exact same way.

TS4's personality is environmental, entirely based on what is around them, without any modifiers in the Sims themselves, so 100 Sims will all react the same depending on what emotion they've been pushed into.

Essentially, you're playing the house and not the Sims.

And the house always wins :)

raw
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Hejix wrote: »

It's because there's no more randomization in Sims behaviours; The original Sims and The Sims 2, both operated on probabilities, different relationship levels, personality settings, (aspirations in TS2), interests, ETC affected their behaviour by pushing probabilities up or down as to whether they'd be drawn to or accept certain interactions, so two sims wouldn't necessarily react to the exact same thing in the exact same way.

TS4's personality is environmental, entirely based on what is around them, without any modifiers in the Sims themselves, so 100 Sims will all react the same depending on what emotion they've been pushed into.

Right here is why the Sims 4 will never be as great as any of the past games they gave us emotions but they sure did not give us personalities to go with those emotions. As long as every Sims reacts to every situation the same and behaves the same way live mode will never reach its full potential.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2018
    I do not view it as an failure for those that are into it, however for me and what I expected of Sims 4 is an failure because for me it fails to capture the essence of past versions and I am talking about features that truly allowed me to truly rule. SIms 4 on that part had failed as it was stripped down to basics and also took a step or two back instead of improving on the features that was stripped. SIms 4 is not an program with huge technical advancements. The packs in some shape or form are just an shadow of past packs from older versions meaning they were gimped to preserve performance and that handicapped players with more than capable rigs from really pushing the program to it's max. However, there is something for most players who enjoy it. For me SIms 4 will always remembered for its controversy and lack of too much creativity. :(
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I was a huge sims 3 player, but now I can spend hours and hours in TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Personally I don't think Sims 4 is anywhere near being a 'failure'. It's hugely popular and I have always loved playing it. I can understand why so many fans were disappointed when it first came out due to missing content and just the natural dislike of change, and yes it is not flawless or for everyone, but I do feel it has improved a huge amount since then and also offered some real improvements from previous games e.g. better CAS, vampires, toddlers. I do agree that Sims 2 was the best for it's time overall though. Yeah, those were the days...
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

This is the best description of TS4's core issue that I've seen, by far. It's spot on.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'd say it was a definite failure when it came out. In fact TS4 only started to get good when the devs decided they needed to make TS4 more like past games, dropping fast food SP's and mobile gameplay concepts, only to start making expansions that have a higher replay value, like GF and Seasons. Adding toddlers, family trees, etc.

I think right now the game is just a different game than TS3, it still doesn't feel like a true sims game to me, there's not enough sandbox. I think TS4 has a lot more detail than TS3 when it comes to it's packs and when it comes to consistency (like clothes not drying with rain), but at the same time it's less of a game (weak whims, poor ai, awful sim personalities, no story progression, not a lot of drama, too many scripted events, focus on goals throughout the game) and doesn't offer as much freedom (close worlds we can't edit). They feel like two different games really now that I'm playing both at the same time. To me TS4 is like a mash of a mobile game and TS2. TS3 was really a sequel but ofc it has and had it's problems.

TS2 will always be the best for me. It offers good replay value, sims have good personalities they have great social interactions, good animations, the game is more realistic in the sense that you have to buy clothes and food in the store to get by instead of having it all on a silver platter, there's all lifestages, you had carpooling and cars with full on animations, lots of community lots that could have multiple functionalities like hotels with restaurants and spas, and so on.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No, I don't think The Sims 4 is a failure. Just because some things could improve or be different doesn't mean the whole thing isn't worthwhile.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    For me, Sims 2 is still the best in the series, but Sims 4 is better for me than Sims 3. Being stuck in the same world, or having to start a family over when there was new content, got to be frustrating after a while. Imagine you were living in Sunset Valley and Showtime came out; you either had to spend hours trying to edit in all the new venues or you had to start a brand new save in order to enjoy the new content. And even if you moved your Sims to a new world, they'd arrive having lost all their family relationships; if I want my family's eldest child to move from Willow Creek to San Myshuno when he ages up, I know he'll still be able to visit Mom and Dad or invite them over for dinner. And I don't have to edit my worlds to have a museum or a lounge or a bar in every town, giving me plenty of room to customize my worlds.

Sims 4 did get a rough start, mainly from the absence of toddlers and its overemphasis on single young adult play; not to speak ill of the departed but it seems like the focus of the game changed when Rachel Franklin left (I do hope she's doing well in her career and life paths). I may be totally off base and the game focus would have changed anyway. But since toddlers were patched in early in 2017, plus packs like Parenthood and the focus on home activities in Seasons, it seems to be on a much better footing. I'm interested to see how the game develops over the next several years.
    I don’t quite understand what this has to do with the question if Sims 4 is a failure to be honest, but I don’t have to imagine, I was playing in Hidden Springs when Showtime came out and my sim became a magician. In Hidden Springs. I think I spent ten, fifteen minutes tops to put in all the venues needed to make that happen (and I actually like doing that, adjusting the world, so I didn’t mind). And later his kids, when they turned YA, became an acrobat and a singer in Hidden Springs. And his grandson, a genie, also lived in Hidden Springs. I love Hidden Springs :blush: And with Mastercontroller I can repair (or create) any family tie I want to.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I don’t quite understand what this has to do with the question if Sims 4 is a failure to be honest, but I don’t have to imagine, I was playing in Hidden Springs when Showtime came out and my sim became a magician. In Hidden Springs. I think I spent ten, fifteen minutes tops to put in all the venues needed to make that happen (and I actually like doing that, adjusting the world, so I didn’t mind). And with Mastercontroller I can repair (or create) any family tie I want to. And later his kids, when they turned YA, became an acrobat and a singer in Hidden Springs. And his grandson, a genie, also lived in Hidden Springs. I love Hidden Springs :blush:

In TS3 devs always put new lots in the library for us to place so we'd just need to find a lot with a decent size or put one down ourselves and place the venue, done.

In TS4 they don't value that as much because of how the user made lots are of much easier access, but I still prefer stuff that was made by Maxis's environment designers and such, especially when most of the user made builds in TS4 are clutter galore since most of the game is all decorative.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I don’t quite understand what this has to do with the question if Sims 4 is a failure to be honest, but I don’t have to imagine, I was playing in Hidden Springs when Showtime came out and my sim became a magician. In Hidden Springs. I think I spent ten, fifteen minutes tops to put in all the venues needed to make that happen (and I actually like doing that, adjusting the world, so I didn’t mind). And with Mastercontroller I can repair (or create) any family tie I want to. And later his kids, when they turned YA, became an acrobat and a singer in Hidden Springs. And his grandson, a genie, also lived in Hidden Springs. I love Hidden Springs :blush:

In TS3 devs always put new lots in the library for us to place so we'd just need to find a lot with a decent size or put one down ourselves and place the venue, done.

In TS4 they don't value that as much because of how the user made lots are of much easier access, but I still prefer stuff that was made by Maxis's environment designers and such, especially when most of the user made builds in TS4 are clutter galore since most of the game is all decorative.

I love the ease of adding user builds -- much better than the Launcher in Sims 3. I can download a lot, check it out and if it doesn't work replace it quickly. (I had a house I liked but ended up replacing it because it was missing a front door -- builders please check your lots for those little details before sharing!) Deleting excess clutter isn't that hard, either to bring down the price of a house or to make a house feel less cramped; I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to decor, and I'll do a lot of remodeling if necessary.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    mierpelsommierpelsom Posts: 415 Member
    Two years ago I might have voted Fail. But tbh it's just getting better and better. The additions and new ep's, stuff packs and game packs are really good (finally) and I am starting to feel very at home with the sims 4.

I still miss a lot of sims 3 ideas like boats, custom patterns and a broader range of occult sims just to name a few. Overall though I love the direction the franchise has taken and I'm quite pleased now with the game play offerings.
    Bringer of joy. Lover of life. Wearer of hats.

Grim Spooky Manor Mansion
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I wouldn't say its a complete failure . or a success.

it has some great features, but at the same time less past features, and restrictions etc etc
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited December 2018

But isn’t that the same in sims 4 now? I mean if you buy say cats and dogs or get famous you have to edit new venues either by placing them or editing them, the new “celeb” venue is empty for example so in my opinion it needs editing to make it interesting.

My experience with sims 4 and a brand new game goes as follows:

Add Restaurants to each world if possible because you know realism
    Add a Spa or 2
    Add the bowling alley venue
    Place more libraries because otherwise the game has one library to serve multiple worlds in Willow Creek and I find that immersion breaking that my sim in San Myshuno has to go to Willow Creek to go to the library.
    And If im being really picky I need to delete the many, many 1 bed houses that are no good to multiple sims starting out.

If I don’t do those things, I can’t play with features I have paid for.

The only world I do that amount of preparation for play in the sims 3 is Roaring Heights as it has so many big empty lots I want to fill. But the basics are there. The other worlds need minor tweaking. Not as much but a minor tweak nothing like the above.

In the sims 1 and 2 I have to do very, minor editing on occasion before I play but not often. It never bothers me that my sims can’t move between worlds without mods in earlier games. They have never had a reason to be fair. Their worlds are complete. It would be far more stifling and unrealistic for a sim born in Oasis Springs to never leave the world through out their lives. Frankly I think it would be impossible.
    Post edited by MidnightAura on
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member

But isn’t that the same in sims 4 now? I mean if you buy say cats and dogs or get famous you have to edit new venues either by placing them or editing them, the new “celeb” venue is empty for example so in my opinion it needs editing to make it interesting.

Add a Spa or 2
    Place more libraries because otherwise the game has one library to serve multiple worlds in Willow Creek and I find that immersion breaking that my sim in San Myshuno has to go to Willow Creek to go to the library.
    And If im being really picky I need to delete the many, many 1 bed houses that are no good to multiple sims starting out.

The only world I do that amount of preparation for play in the sims 3 is Roaring Heights as it has so many big empty lots I want to fill. But the basics are there. The other worlds need minor tweaking. Not as much but a minor tweak nothing like the above.

In the sims 1 and 2 I have to do very, minor editing on occasion before I play but not often. It never bothers me that my sims can’t move between worlds without mods in earlier games. They have never had a reason to be fair. Their worlds are complete. It would be far more stifling and unrealistic for a sim born in Oasis Springs to never leave the world through out their lives. Frankly I think it would be impossible.

Well it's super easy to travel in Sims 4.

But no, I don't think that Sims 4 is a failure at all. I like it better than Sims 3. I miss a lot of features from Sims 2 though, and I've found most packs pretty lacking.. but I still got a lot of play out of it.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Add a Spa or 2

Well it's super easy to travel in Sims 4.

But no, I don't think that Sims 4 is a failure at all. I like it better than Sims 3. I miss a lot of features from Sims 2 though, and I've found most packs pretty lacking.. but I still got a lot of play out of it.

My point is you want to use all your dlc you “have to spend hours trying to edit in all the new venues” or worse start a new game to enjoy everything - for example If you have ran out of room in the sims 4.

Travelling may be easier in the sims 4 but arguably its necessary as one map is not big enough for multiple families and various venues we get through dlc.
  • Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    Well, I don't think so, but I think it's kinda... Weird? Yeah, that's a proper word to describe what I think.
    I 50% like it, 50% I'm like WHAT.

I've been playing TS3 base game for quite long and didn't get bored. When I got dls's, it got even more exciting. And now I have a few game packs and catalogs in TS4 and I'm bored. I feel like I have to buy more to get the interest back at least for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top